OtakuBoards

What Are You Playing?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[b]Mass Effect[/b]

Struggling to get through the rest of it on the ps3. At first I wasn't bothered by the glitches because the loading wasn't nearly as bad, but now it's getting to the point where I'm thinking my game has actually froze only to load at the last minute. Still having fun with the game, but the glitches is really sapping it out of me. I have 2 more side missions (both on the Maroon cluster) before I tackle both Noveria and Virmire.

Eventually I plan to start up the Uncharted series as well as continue with Mass Effect 2. It's just a matter of time on actually getting to them in general.

• 3 weeks later...

[b]Uncharted: Drakes Fortune[/b]

This epic series. I do get hyped while watching someone play this, but it's also quite the experience this at first hand as well. I just got on chapter 6 after that epic driving through the jungle/forest. I'm playing this on the easiest level and I've still died quite a number of times. Majority of it was by bullet fire because of a low shortage of ammo so I go in trying to clobber the first guy I see only to find out I'm being shotgun blasted in the back. The way to throw grenades feels a bit weird because I don't use the sixaxis throw my grenade but still it felt weird for some odd reason.

[b]Ultra Street Fighter 4[/b]

Not gonna lie. Had fun but I'm salty. It's been a good while since I've actually played a match against anyone (mainly been doing training mode and getting bored) and since my brother-in-law and sister are in town we decided to fire it up. I actually did fairly well against his Ryu with my Guy (after all this time trying to train as Cody, Guy turns out to be my best character). His Ken is a beast though, although he kept doing scrubby tactics that I couldn't react to but could see through his tactics clear as day. I still have to work on my punish combos (basic combos as well)

[b]One Piece: Pirates Warriors 2[/b], [b]Samurai Warriors 4[/b]

Mindless fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Magus, how are you going with Mass Effect?

The first game is good, but it can be a bit of a struggle at times (due to the things you mentioned).

I strongly recommend persevering though, because Mass Effect 2 and 3 are so much better than the original. ME2 is like a breath of fresh air compared to the first game; the mechanics are far smoother, the performance is better, graphics are improved, locations are more varied, etc...

The first game is good, but it can be a bit of a struggle at times (due to the things you mentioned).

I strongly recommend persevering though, because Mass Effect 2 and 3 are so much better than the original. ME2 is like a breath of fresh air compared to the first game; the mechanics are far smoother, the performance is better, graphics are improved, locations are more varied, etc...

Don't you love it when a sequel fixes all of the mistakes of the previous one and more? It's a damn shame games don't do that as often. My old favorite series - Assassin's Creed - started off well enough, then it was just the same thing with a different skin. 

As for the OP, I'm playing DC Universe Online (3 years running) and Minecraft PS4. There are a couple of games I will play once my damn Audio cable comes in the mail! I refuse to play anything else without my surround sound. 

Edited by SpiritOfKorra

Stopped playing for the PS3 and started playing it on the 360 again. The reason I also bought it for the ps3 was because of the dlc being easier for me to get access to. Anyway, yeah, went to the 360 for my ME fix.

And no doubt I'm familar with how good ME2 is. I found it so good that I got all the way to the suicide mission and stopped because I didn't want to see how it was going to end. You can pretty much say that I fell in love with everything ME2 had to offer. From the story, characters, etc, all the way down to how the game plays. My only hiccup with it was the ammo collecting and that's just a minor nitpick. I've yet to start ME3, and that's how we got to me starting over but for the ps3.

That said, I put all of those games aside (outside of USF4 of course) for [b]Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary[/b]. My job has been pissing me off badly as of late and the Halo series have been my go-to games for anger (getting to the point where a lot of these games are not working anymore).

Yes, I agree about ME2. There seems to be some debate about ME3, but I personally enjoyed it (I'm talking gameplay rather than story).

It really makes me wonder what they are going to do for Mass Effect 4.

Agreed. Mass Effect 3 is also awesome! They picked up ME2's gameplay and made it even more awesome. ^_^ The ending sadly had much less of an impact, though. Well, emotionally. Enough impact on the blogs.

geez, we still haven't moved past the Mass Effect series? Maybe I didn't miss as much as I thought.

Currently I am playing Final Fantasy XIII-2. I was a fan of ff13, so I always wanted to play it, but poor sales and reviews kept me away. I recently got itt for 10$ on a xbox live sale, so I decided it was time. The game is really good.

Other than the cutscenes the graphics took a step down. no more smooth panning camera, fluid walking animations and sweet acrobatic jumps, but gameplay wise its across the board improvement. It has a non linear flow, pokemon like capture system, improved role shift system an AI, and no more stupid equipment leveling postgame.

You don't get many human party members, but all the playable characters are good... just don't expect to play as Lightning... I know she is the symbol of this game, and on all the art... but its just never gonna happen so don't feel let down. That said I loved all the cameos from ff13 party members. It was all great fanservice, and done in a way to add epicnes to the story. oh and the music was amazing. If you ever wanna laugh check out Hybrid Chocobo theme.

Edited by CaNz

Haha that reminded me of Shadow Warrior, one of the best games to come out in the past few years, IMO! :D

Metal + silly situation= fun game. I think we have all the evidence needed.

edit: I just beat FFXIII-2 today. I didn't think it could end very strongly given the fact that the game was about paradoxes. I actually ended up liking it though. Its cliffhanger ending sold a copy of lightning Returns for me too... but not any time soon. there is still so much post game to do.

Overall its been a great ride. I found it funny that the first game had Lightning and Snow chasing after Sarah and saving the world in the process, and then Sarah does the same for them in this one.

Edited by CaNz

Cool. I'll check it out if it gets on Steam sometime. Square is finally realising again that PC is a huge player, even for control-based gaming. FFXIII came out for Steam a few months ago, and before that they put basically everything from II to VIII on there. I want XII though. :( 

XII was the best IMO. I liked all the characters, the story was great, and that game has the best real time rpg combat so far. Its like KoTOR on steroids. It had soooo much content as well... including an hour long boss battle! º^º

Ultra Street Fighter 4 (360)

First thing I noticed right off the bat is that, while everyone complains about the 360 controller, it feels very comfortable in my hands so pulling off combos feel a little more natural to me (nailed Dudley's bread and butter combo at least a good 5 times. Nothing to write home about but it made me happy since my execution sucks), and even then I'm still not entirely sure if I'm going to use the 360 controller or not since I have a fight stick here as well and I do play on both the 360 and ps3. Dudley being my main as of now (was still stuck in a character crisis) and was considering picking up a secondary character, but I'll focus on one for now. Even though Guy is my favorite character, Dudley suits me more. He hits like a train and have stylish combos (that're hard to pull off). He's also just a fun character to use. I think I said that about Yun at one point, but nothing beats a character that suits you. Anyway, I think if I were to try and pick up other characters they would either be Ryu/Akuma and/or Gouken. I know quite a few Ryu combos and Gouken have that damage (If Dudley hits like a train then Gouken is a tank). And then Akuma has the stylish combos as well.

Edit: I take it back. #### this damn controller. It's still comfortable in my hands, but dammit.

Mass Effect 1

I'd say at this point I've kinda been losing my patience and just trying to rush through the rest of the game just so I can get to ME2. Problem is I don't want to accidentally choose something I never intended to pick. I know for sure I want to do a couple of things different this go around just to see what's different in 2. As of right now my Shep is an infiltrator (I miss not being able to wear heavy armor though), and I think I'll finish up with either Garrus/Wrex and Liara. I know for that I've used Wrex and Liara the most. As for where I'm at. On the citadel after the events on Virmire.

Edited by Magus

Mass Effect 1

I'd say at this point I've kinda been losing my patience and just trying to rush through the rest of the game just so I can get to ME2. 

Just for the fun of it, I did a playthrough doing as few missions and skipping as much dialogue as possible throughout all the ME games. In Mass Effect 1 I would of course only do the story missions (so 90% of the game was incomplete) but the most fun was walking right by people calling my name. There are so many instances where people wait for you to speak with them, but you can just leave them all hanging and go save the world.  In ME 2 I unintentionally got all but one crew-member killed. I also left Grunt in the tank and never reactivated Legion. In ME3 I just had almost no support for the final mission (since I made sure multiplier was unplayed) but I did manage to still save the world (at the cost of most of my crew, and Shepard himself since only the blow up everything ending was unlocked.  Oddly enough it was my favorite playthrough. 

Currently I am playing Final Fantasy XIII-2. I was a fan of ff13, so I always wanted to play it, but poor sales and reviews kept me away. I recently got itt for 10$ on a xbox live sale, so I decided it was time. The game is really good.

I picked up XIII a few months ago during an Xbox binge, despite never before finishing a Final Fantasy game. Once I survived the first hour or so it really clicked for me and I got a little addicted. I looooove Lightning, we have the same first name. And Fang and Vanille KILL ME. I'm scared to finish the game because I keep having dreams that something horrible happens to them and my big gay heart can't take it. Also for some reason everything on Gran Pulse just vaporizes me and I can barely get anything done. I actually haven't touched the game since before Christmas...and I've had to get a new Xbox/HDD since then, whoops.

Other than that, I haven't been playing games very much lately. Still check up on ACNL every now and then. My friends and I like to play a couple rounds of The Yawgh sometimes. That's about it. 

I'm scared to finish the game because I keep having dreams that something horrible happens to them and my big gay heart can't take it. Also for some reason everything on Gran Pulse just vaporizes me and I can barely get anything done. I actually haven't touched the game since before Christmas...

This sounds exactly like me. I won't spoil the ending, but I will say you need to see it, and keeping up the momentum is good. I have beaten the whole game twice now and the second time I beat it in 1 month instead of a year... needless to say the story was smoother.

Pulse is home to all the post game stuff so you don't need to kill a giant adamantos to beat the game (eventually you can do it... but you should beat the game first.

If you feel you need levels I suggest getting the cpegg from the early hunts. It just saves lots of time. Pulses monsters should be farmed by what you can kill. Id start with the behemoth fighting the giant wolf, then birds, then mini adamantoses, then the big ones.

[b]Ultra Street Fighter 4[/b]

More Dudley practice. I'm hitting his cr.lp > cr.lp > st.hk > MGB combo more frequently. I gotta Jet Upper over Machine Gun Blow next since the motion is completely different and I gotta get used to it. The one combo I know I'm gonna struggle with is f.hk > st.hk > MGB. The timing in this game when it comes to 1-frame links are too strict which gets me so wishy-washy with this game quite a bit. Anyway, I lied (partially) when I said I was gonna pick up Ryu/Akuma and/or Gouken. Added Ryu, but he'll probably be my fun character, but I decided to make Yun my secondary character. I like rushdown in this game and a lot of the rushdown characters are quite powerful, although this version is probably more balanced than ever (people can't decide who're the top 10 strongest characters so they're literally saying the top 10 consist of 20 characters)

The only fighting game I ever got any good at was SSB Melee. I rember being so happy when I could pull off consistant wave dashes and animation canceling... though I often played as Link and spamed projectiles for fun. Who do you play against? 0nline people?

I never had any friends except my cousin who ever put in enough time to play fighting games well. Smash was different enough for him to put the effort in. I might have gone online like you, but my connections have always felt unbearable. I loved skullgirls, soul calibur, and marvel vs capcom... I just only got good enough to beat story mode.

Oh don't get me wrong, the only time I have is the weekend or on an aggravating day I kinda force myself to play Street Fighter (or rather training mode) so I can calm down, but for the most part I'm usually drained after work and don't like doing much. When it comes to the online connection I'm in the same boat, perhaps even worse since I have a wireless router (I'm looking into getting an ethernet cable or something).

Playing as Dudley against T-Hawk in story mode on hard is beyond ridiculous. 

Yeah, I've had quite the experience when it came to laggy matches. "Entertaining" stuff on a random saturday night.

Edit:

In training mode as we speak, but trying out different characters. Found Yun on the boring side for the first time, and surprisingly I'm finding him to be harder to use over Dudley, but yet Dudley has harder combos because a lot of his combos have many 1-frame links while Yun has none. 

So far I've tinkered with Decapre, Rose, Fei-Long, Ken, Yun and Poison. I may try out Cody once more since he was originally my main and that's my dude, but I hate that Capcom made him so weak in this version (He struggles pretty badly against Dan of all people).

The joy of character crisis >_>

Edited by Magus