OtakuBoards

Your Favorite Bands - Lets get it out of the way

2010DigitalBoy

At the moment these are my favourite bands, they change at a fairly decent rate but these are at the moment.

Nirvana

[I]There is no doubt that Kurt Cobain was a musical prodigy and just had talent; He was definetly what you would call an egomaniac but I honestly don't really care about the personality of a performer if they can perform. They were essentially responsible for the popularity of Grunge during the early 90s.[/I]

Sublime

[I]There was really just something cool about their songs especially those from their third album.[/I]

Faith No More

[I]Awesome band and one of my favorites ever. Caffeine was a really cool one by them[/I]

Breaking Benjamin

[I]Sure, they really can be generic at times but there is some real talent there. I do agree with Premonition that their sound is refining itself with each album but I myself personally prefer Saturate and We Are Not Alone to Phobia.[/I]

Reel Big Fish

[I]I'm really getting into the Ska genre at the moment, Reel Big Fish just has a really enjoyable sound to me.[/I]

• 7 months later...
Just to get this out of the Way...

Avenged Sevenfold
Caramell
Children of Bodom
Coheed and Cambria
Cradle of Filth (Woot! New Album In October!)
Daft Punk
Dimmu Borgir
Disturbed
Dragonforce (New Album Already Leaked)
Ensiferum
Fort Minor
Gackt
Good Charlotte (Before GMR Only)
Grateful Dead
H.I.M.
Hammerfall
Kalmah
Kamelot
Korpiklaani
Led Zeppelin
Linkin Park (Before M2M Only)
Malice Mizer
Metallica
Modest Mouse
Moonspell
Motion City Soundtrack
My Chemical Romance
Nightwish (And No, Nightwish Without Tarja IS NOT NIGHTWISH!)
Norther
The Offspring
Opeth
Pantera
Rammstein
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rob Zombie
Scum of the Earth
Slayer
Slipknot
Sonata Arctica
System of a Down
Tenacious D

Thats What I Listen to Everyday.

[quote name='Altorin']Nightwish (And No, Nightwish Without Tarja IS NOT NIGHTWISH!)[/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Ehhh, kinda. I haven't been able to get into their new stuff at all. They're coming here (finally!) in September and I really don't think I'll go see them because it won't be the same. But Tarja didn't "make" Nightwish. That statement would be true if Tuomas left the band, but apparently they had a good reason to kick her out.

I have a top 5 for once. Shocking.

1. [B]AFI [/B]
Forever and always. I've loved them since the seventh grade. They have so much material, each album unique to another, and have spanned several genres over their 17 years. I adore the feeling of unity they express in their music that makes itself especially evident when seeing them live: a huge group of people and I chanted "through our bleeding, we are one" together at the concert, and it was absolutely magical. It feels like one gynormous family.

2. [B]Calabrese[/B]
This is an awesome band of brothers who are HEEEAVILY influenced by the Misfits and that whole horror punk/rockabilly mesh. The songs are all about the stuff you'd see in B-movies or the occult, and are incredibly catchy. So much fun. My favorite song of theirs is "Voices of the Dead," followed closely by "Vampires Don't Exist." The rest are all pretty much the same level of awesome.

3. [B]Tegan & Sara[/B]
After exposure to them through another message board and one of my friends' myspace bulletins, I spent a day watching their The Con movie on YouTube and fell in love. The music is great, and they're so adorable! I'm on Team Tegan, because I'm in love with all but one of her songs on [I]The Con[/I], she has a rather uncommon name (whereas Sara is just Sara), and she makes it cool to have a lazy eye. Ohhh yeah. I could listen to "The Con" (the song) 337 times or more and not get sick of it.

4. [B]Circa Survive[/B]
Kevin (Goodbye, Face) got me into them about a year ago. They're a really nice progressive type group, fronted by the super incredible Anthony Green. His voice is so dreamy. Favorite song is "Act Appalled," then "Living Together," "In the Morning and Amazing," "Oh, Hello," "Meet Me in Montauk," "Mandala," and "Your Friends Are Gone," in no particular order.

5. [B]The Academy Is...[/B]
I somehow developed a mad crush on William Beckett and very quickly bought a ticket to see them last October, before I had even heard more than three of their songs. My friend burned me a copy of [I]Santi[/I] a week or so before the show, and I couldn't stop listening to it. I didn't get their first album, [I]Almost Here[/I], until well after the concert, though. They were my number 2 band when I first posted in this thread, but they've been beaten out by my current numbers 2, 3, and 4. So it goes.[/font]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="hotPink"]This is of course just my short (serious) list. My musical taste sometimes change, but you know. I really am not sure what order these bands are in, though I do know that STC and The Number 12 are by far my top two. So, yeah. Don't forget, this is the current and short version of my long list of favorites.

[B]I Was the Red Wine of 1955[/B]
I actually just put this here because I'm in the band. But I suppose we're one of my favorites.

[B]Strike the Choir[/B]
[url]www.myspace.com/strikethechoir1[/url]

[B]The Number 12 Looks Like You[/B]
What is there not to like about this band? When I first heard them, I just.. Wow. Flipped out. Maybe because the dual vocals were so emotional, and all over the place, along side the chaotic tempo changes and mathy time signatures. Not to mention that every song here and there had progressive elements, like Jazz bridges. I enjoy every song by this band.

[B]Saetia[/B]
I took this band in when I heard their song "One Dying Wish". I didn't know just how amazing their entire work had been, until I got [I]A Retrospective[/I]. The most emotional music I've ever listened to. Enough to make you cry, enough to make you feel like the happiest guy on earth. This band's work is beautiful.

[B]I Would Set Myself on Fire For You[/B]
Well. I like emotion, if you can't tell. Their S/T is packed pull of it, with a little bit of jazz guitar, and a lot of distorted post- punk guitar riffs. It also has songs (and parts of songs) you could listen to while walking on a sunny day, and of course the rest is kind of sad, but in a good way. "Clayton" and "A Small World" are two of my favorites, just because they're so easy to listen to and love. It's a lot lighter, compared to their CD [I]Believes In Patterns[/I], which is a complete twist. [I]Believes In Patterns[/I] is nothing short of epic, and their final work. Tons of jazz. In fact, their guitarist Stephen is one of my favorite guitarists, because of his amazing Jazz style. Not to mention that every other member in this band is amazing at what they do. Justin, for instance is a great bassist. Lindsey plays the viola, for God's sake. Come on, man. Listen to them.

[B]The Fall of Troy[/B]
Everything I wanted.

Others that I'm too lazy to write much about:
[B]Me and Him Call It Us[/B]- lots of cool stuff. Noisey, grindy, screaming... Love it alot.
[B]Circle Takes the Square[/B]- Epic.
[B]HeavyHeavyLowLow[/B]- Different compared to the rest of their genre.
[B]Fear Before the March of Flames[/B]- Love them very much.
[B]pg.99[/B]- One of the best screamo bands there ever was.
[B]HORSE the Band[/B]- [I]R. Borlax[/I] is AMAZING.
[B]At the Drive-In[/B]- I listened to them and got addicted.
[B]Underoath[/B]- I'm a big fan of their old stuff, and definitely their new stuff.
[B]As Cities Burn[/B]- I havn't heard their new album, but [I]Son, I Loved You At Your Darkest[/I] took me and mostly everyone else in my area by storm. Amazing.
[B]No Age[/B]- So easy to listen to for me. Great noise elements.
[B]I See Stars[/B]- They're pretty cool. All techno-poppy with alot of crappy screaming and metalcore elements. So of course I would like them alot.
[B]Iwrestledabearonce[/B]- Hell yeah.
[B]Bring Me The Horizon[/B]- Favorite deathcore artist.
[B]Gospel[/B]- Very good. They were great song writers, and I'm sorry to see them RIP.
[B]Emarosa[/B]- Something about them just gets me. Great band.
[B]Here I Come Fallin[/B]g- Great, but less great than Emarosa.
[B]The Jonbenét-[/B] [I]The Plot Thickens[/I] is a great EP.
[B]Mindless Self Indulgence[/B]- It took me a few listens, but I love this perverted techno, with the weird british sounding vocals.
[B]This Is Your Captain Speaking[/B]- I'm proud to be friends with the guys, because the music they made was just so good. Emotional, full of clean breaks. Loved them, sorry they had to break up.
[B]Drop Dead, Gorgeous[/B]- [I]In Vogue[/I] and [I]Be Mine, Valentine[/I] were two great CDs.
[B]My Chemical Romance[/B]-[I]I Brought You My Bullets You Brought Me Your Love[/I]
[B]Amon Amarth[/B]- death meets vikings.
[B]This Love These Hands[/B]- Met them. One of the guys begged me to buy a CD. Before I left the festival, I swung by. Bought one. Popped it in when I got home. Loved it. I'll never forget those guys.
[B]The New Season[/B]-Really good friends of mine.
[B]Silent Masquerade[/B]- Local band, with an amazing vocalist, and good pop punk song writing skills.
[B]Aiden[/B]- [I]Our Gang's Dark Oath[/I] is a winner.
[B]From First to Last[/B]- Love. Not their newer stuff, though. [I]Heroine[/I] and [I]Dear Diary [/I]were two amazing CDs though. Their EP was okay.
[B]Heart for a Hand[/B]- Haha. The singer and I are supposed to go on a date. His name is Caleb.
[B]Short Arms, Deep Pockets[/B]- Some band from New York that hasn't made it big yet. I found them on facebook. Love them. MCR meets... No clue. Great stuff though.
[B]The Devil Wears Prada[/B]- Amazing metalcore.
[B]mewithoutYou[/B]- Eep! With their EP[I] I Never Said I Was Brave[/I], they were this crazy screamo band that had close relations to hardcore punk bands. I loved that CD. Then BAM. They got experimental, and were still great! They're way more mellow now, but the emotion, and sometimes fury is still there. [I][A-->B] Life[/I] is a good example of their screamo side meeting their newer side. [I]Catch For Us The Foxes[/I] is also a favorite CD of mine.
[B]Coheed and Cambria[/B]- epic.
[B]The Sounds of Animals Fighting[/B]-epic?
[B]Chiodos[/B]- good.
[B]Math the Band[/B]- haha.
[B]Everytime I Die[/B]- crazy.
[B]Don the Reader[/B]- cliche', but good.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Well, might as well give my new list out!

[B][I]Ultimate Favorites[/I][/B]
[B]1. Coheed & Cambria[/B]
No matter what, Coheed will be my favorite. All 4 albums are a masterpiece all in they're own. Whether it be The Second Stage Turbine Blade's unique sound, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3's epic tracks, Good Apollo I's emotional roller coaster or No World for Tomorrow's classic rock feel, C&C will remain my favorite. They've dished out some powerful songs, Welcome Home, The Final Cut, Neverender, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth, and many more.

[B]2. Avenged Sevenfold[/B]
Because of them I got into music a lot more than I ever did, before them it was all Linkin Park, Green Day and all of them. A7X showed me that hard rock/hardcore can be one of the best musical experiences. Waking the Fallen's metalcore was brilliance, and actually a lot better than the competition (BFMV, Atreyu) and City of Evil's riffage and vocal work astounds me still. Even now with they're newest album being meh, they manage to be A Little Piece of Heaven.

[B]3. Between the Buried and Me[/B]
Nothing better than extreme hardcore, and awe-inspiring technicality, gut-wrenching breakdowns and guttural growls and screams... ah a symphony of awesome in your ears. Alaska being a piece of brilliance (Backward Marathon, Medicine Wheel and The Primer are like a trilogy, Medicine Wheel being an independent breakdown.) Colors, the 65-minute song split into 8 independent songs was astounding. White Walls, a 14 minute masterpiece of awe-inspiring solos proved to be the best song the band can dish out.

[B][U]Lesser Favorites[/U][/B]
[B]4. Chevelle[/B]
With the vocal sound of Maynard James Keenan and the post-grunge-power of Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle proves to be one of the best bands in the mainstream ring. I have to hand it to Pete Loeffler, the lead singer, his guitar work makes Chevelle heavy and his vocals are brilliance. He writes awesome lyrics as well, while mostly subtle, they are powerful. Each song from This Type of Thinking and Vena Sera offers it's own brand of cool. Wonder What's Next is they're best selling album, for good reasons. Comfortable Liar, Send the Pain Below and Wonder What's Next are kickass songs, the latter of which is a song of emotion.

[B]5. Tool[/B]
One of the finest Hard rock bands to ever grace our planet. Maynard James Keenan may be one ugly son of a gun, but his voice is brilliant. Songs like 10,000 Days, Sober and Parabol/a haunt you like no tomorrow, Vicarious being one of the most haunting songs I've ever listened to, (watch the video, it's just whoa). Tool is indescribable in genre, they're progressive rock mostly, but there's something more to it than that.

[B]6. Mudvayne
Mudvayne imo, is good once and a while, but they do have something quite unique about them. The rage of Slipknot, the hip-hop beat of Limp Biscuit and the emotional angsts of Linkin Park combine to create Mudvayne. Death Blooms, World so Cold, Dull Boy, TV Radio, Choices and Nothing to Gein are great songs. Not to mention the cover of The Police's King of Pain, which is an awesome cover imo. Mudvayne is not a stranger to disappointment, but every once and a while they hit the cravings other Nu-Metal Bands can't break. Disturbed would have been at this spot if it wasn't for the fact that they feel a bit, rusty to me.

[B][U]Honorable Mentions[/U][/B]
[B]Heaven Shall Burn
All Shall Perish[/B]
[B]Circle Takes the Square [/B]
[B]My Chemical Romance[/B]
[B]Disturbed[/B]
[B]Breaking Benjamin
Fair to Midland
The Mars Volta
Mastodon [/B]
[B]In Flames [/B]
[B]Cradle of Filth[/B]
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Altorin']
Kamelot
Nightwish (And No, Nightwish Without Tarja IS NOT NIGHTWISH!)
[/QUOTE]

Two notes before my list. One, Kamelot rules... Youngblood and Khan can have me. Maybe Casey too. Second, Nightwish *was* great with Tarja.. however, I've found myself questioning whether she was that great. For example.. The Poet and the Pendulum is by far my favorite Nightwish song, with Nemo as a second.

While - YES - the new singer is not the same style.. Tarja's vocals always agitated me in one way or another... and while her replacement isn't totally perfect, she's also new to the band.. Give her time, see what kind of creative changes the band makes. They have to do something different then the same generic "nightwish" sound eventually, or you might as well just listen to the old stuff.

Now, for my favorites.. from first to fifth.

#1: UVERworld - I don't know why, but I just get pumped listening to them. Their music has an incredible drive and feel to it that most modern music is lacking.

#2: Kamelot - While I didn't take up Kamelot until the Epica/Black Halo era, going back and listening to their older music was just as fun now as it would have been back then. I absolutely love their storytelling skills; they can create a mood and fill your ears with every emotion they feel like portraying. Best metal band since Savatage.

#3: Dream Evil - As cheesy as they are, they do pump out true metal style. No band comes even close in raw metal passion as Dream Evil. While they've stuck on similar themes in every song, the mixture of the incredible vocal work and blaring guitar riffs is enough to make up for it.

#4: Epica - Similar to Nightwish, yet far different. Simone is by far the hottest female vocalist of our time, but she sometimes gets a little 'too' into her opera-tic style and diverges from a solid sound. Songs like "Never Enough", "Mother of Light", and "Sensorium" provide perfect examples of fitting your voice into the style of the song. Not overboard, not underpowered.. just perfect.

#5: Savatage - If you have no idea who Savatage is... get your hands on "The Hall of the Mountain King" (album).. Songs of theirs, like.. "Beyond the Doors of the Dark", "Somewhere in Time / Believe", and "Devastation" bring out the absolute best side to epic-metal. They tell their stories so flawlessly, Oliva's voice just annihilates any modern metal vocalist in every single way shape and form. Nobody can invoke emotion with the depth of their voice like him.

Yeah.