OtakuBoards

Legalization of Marijuana

XeEmO

Dear Otakuboards
I'm sure this thread has been done to death, but I'm looking for pro-marijuana research. Do you think marijuana should be legalized? I was just convicted for a misdemeanor of marijuana possession. I plan to take it to court to contest;

con·test
-verb
to struggle or fight for, as in battle.
to argue against; dispute: to contest a controversial question; to contest a will.
to call in question: They contested his right to speak.
to contend for in rivalry.
?verb (used without object)
to dispute; contend; compete.

Even if I have no chance of winning my plan is basically to legalize marijuana in the United States. I have an essay as well as a movie in the works. Any discussion to promote ideas, or research with sources would help.

I'm also thinking about starting a petition for legalization. Once again, I'm sure it's been done to death, but I'd love to come into court with a movie, an essay, and as many signatures as possible for the legalization of marijuana.

If anyone's interested in starting a petition in their hometown please private message me about the possibility of getting the signatures mailed to me.

Even if It ends up in the supreme court that's fine by me. Just remember the oxford students that proved parallel universes through a calculation. If their calculations are correct I'm going to win the battle in one dimension or another.

Good night Otaku Boards.

I'm ready for yet another heart filled discussion on the legalization of marijuana.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1]You frighten me. I'm sorry, but you really do. Marijuana = stupid.

Although that bit about the parallel universes was pretty interesting. Sorry, had to say [i]something[/i] nice. And maybe you will. I'm just seriously hoping it [i]isn't[/i] the one I live in.[/size]

Pot is the name of the cooking utensil that is placed on the stove and filled with water to cook pasta. It should not be anything else.

I think marijuana should remain illegal, and I also think that tobacco should be outlawed as well- they are both nothing more than mind altering substances that are also conveniently able to kill both you and those around you by one of the slowest and most painful deaths possible.

I'm sorry, but there is no support for this from me.

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]What are you talking about? Marijuana is perfectly legal and normal.[/size][/QUOTE]

You Dutchmen are all potheads, that's why it seems normal to you. XD

But in all seriousness, this world does not need for another legal drug - enough tragedies have been caused by tobacco and alcohol. And not just to the users, but also to their nearest and dearest, neighbors, innocent bystanders, victims of drunken driving and the slaveworkers at tobacco fields, just to name a few groups.

There's only two reasons why those two are still legal: because they've become a habit (or addiction) to so many people, and because some people make awful lot of money from their preparation, distribution and selling.

Really, we don't need to add marijuana into that equation, no matter how much "healthier" it is compared to the other two (which is just as ridiculous a reason as saying some car is friendlier to the environment - it's still damn unfriendly to it, no matter what).

[font=Arial]I invite those who are anti-Mary Jane to give a valid reason as to why it should remain illegal. To be honest, I have yet to hear any reasoning worth my time.

Marijuana should absolutely be legal. The only reason it's not is because big business wouldn't be able to make massive money off its sale. Let's look at some criticism of marijuana:

- It impairs judgment and hinders ones ability to operate cars, etc, and thus could be potentially dangerous.

[i]Alcohol, anyone?[/i] By this logic, we should return to prohibition, simply because it is responsible for road-deaths.

- It is a gateway drug that leads you to do 'harder' drugs, which is detrimental to a healthy community.

[i]Marijuana is a gateway drug because it puts you into contact with dealers who also sell dangerous drugs[/i]. This is due to its illegality. If it were legal, you wouldn't have to meet up with a dodgy dealer who is also selling heroin or cocaine, you'd go to the store and buy a joint, thus keeping you away from the dangerous network of 'hard' drugs.

- Marijuana hurts your health, and is addictive.

[i]Cigarettes, anyone?[/i] Certainly, no smoking is good for you, so in this respect it is unhealthy as well... however, so are cigarettes. Furthermore, there is much contention over marijuana's allegedly addictive properties.

But more related to the topic at hand, no amount of signatures, no essay, and no amount of facts will get you off the hook. The judge simply won't alter decades of legal precedent for your sake. Good luck in court, bro.[/font]

[quote name='Sandy']You Dutchmen are all potheads, that's why it seems normal to you. XD[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Glad I'm not the only European here to think that. ^_^;

All joking aside, I'm totally against the legalisation of mrijuana. It's a dangerous damn drug that is being glossed over as just a step up from cigarettes, which in and of themselves are plenty dangerous too. A good friend of my brother's has been clean for about the last eight or nine months, and the change has been incredible.

Marijuana needs to stay illegal, because if it's legalised, and the tobacco industry gets a hold of it and makes it profitable, it will never be made illegal again, no matter how many people get sick and die from the drug's long-term effects.[/size]

[font=Arial]Why are we protecting people from themselves? Isn't part of being an adult the ability to make personal decisions and not have the government unnecessarily intervening in their private life?

Sure, it's not healthy. So what? Should we legislate diet as well, so that you're only allowed a certain calorie intake relative to your personal weight?[/font]

[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]Why are we protecting people from themselves? Isn't part of being an adult the ability to make personal decisions and not have the government unnecessarily intervening in their private life?[/font][/QUOTE]

I already said it in my previous post, but since not all people are the responsible, considering adults you make of them, drug use is not a private matter, but it touches all the people near the user.

And adults aren't the only users, kids and youth are much more easily drawn to begin drug use than grown-ups.

I personally don't care much what people do to themselves, but they don't have any right to hurt people around them because of their own selfish habits. That's where I draw the line, and so does the vast majority of people too, fortunately.

I think there is just hype over the lack of research, and what little research that has been done on the effects of marijuana smoke have been NOT BAD (doesn't mean same thing as good). This says nothing about the long-term effects, or anything else.

Ok, so there has been no research that shows any detrimental effects, but that is not the same as finding consistent, universal benefits either. The drug helps some people, hurts others. It is unpredictable.

Being responsible has little to do with legalizing a drug with unpredictable effects. That just makes no logical sense.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='XeEmO;798633] Do you think marijuana should be legalized? I was just convicted for a misdemeanor of marijuana possession. I plan to take it to court to contest.[/QUOTE]No. And seeing that it's currently considered illegal... I don't see you getting out of that one. Best of luck though.[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial']I invite those who are anti-Mary Jane to give a valid reason as to why it should remain illegal. To be honest, I have yet to hear any reasoning worth my time.[/font][/quote]Why for? It's a nasty habit much like drinking and smoking and it's already proven that it's detrimental, therefore, I see no reason to support adding yet another harmful substance to the list of 'legal' things one can purchase. And saying that the others are bad and yet are legal doesn't cut it for me. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="77656"]No offense SunfallE, but I don't think 'nasty habit' is a good enough reason for him.

Honestly it shouldn't be illegal. I've never heard valuable evidence that it is dangerous anyways. Do you ever see stories about people getting high and getting in an accident as much as alcohol related accidents? If smoking cigarettes is legal, so should smoking marijuana. If it was legal I'd smoke it when I was the legal age. Not constantly, more like every year at least once or twice.

I don't see any potential threat. At least not one as big as alcohol. My mom, who is 50 and has plenty of knowledge, believes alcohol is worse than marijuana, and she works at a bar. So if something like beer is legal, marijuana should be too. I don't' give a **** what any adult or other kid thinks about this matter. it should be legal and that's final. No if and or butts about it.

[quote name='AzureWolf'] The drug helps some people, hurts others. It is unpredictable.[/quote]

As does most other drugs out in the world. Children's Tylonal, Excedrin, Claritin. Each drug has both negative and positive impacts.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="77656"]So if something like beer is legal, marijuana should be too.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Your logic is so fallable that it's a wonder you can't see it yourself. You're basically saying that because something else that's dangerous is legal, then this other thing that's less dangerous (but still dangerous enough) should be legal as well.

You simply cannot make such connections between two different things. You also have to remember that alcohol has a long and colorful history with humankind. Really, if it was invented in modern times it would be made illegal, just like tobacco would.

But I guess you and the other pro-marijuana people just don't want to see the reasons against it. Denial is a powerful defense, I give you that.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Premonition;798677][COLOR="77656"]No offense SunfallE, but I don't think 'nasty habit' is a good enough reason for him. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]It's good enough for me and that's what matters. If it were to come up where I had a say in voting yes or no... I'm saying I would vote no. That's all there is to it. [quote name='Premonition;798677][COLOR="77656"]Honestly it shouldn't be illegal. I've never heard valuable evidence that it is dangerous anyways. Do you ever see stories about people getting high and getting in an accident as much as alcohol related accidents? If smoking cigarettes is legal, so should smoking marijuana. If it was legal I'd smoke it when I was the legal age. Not constantly, more like every year at least once or twice.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Most evidence I am familiar with is that of how it causes cancer, etc. I don't really care that cigarettes and alcohol are legal for the simple reason they already are. I'm against adding more to that list.[QUOTE=Premonition'][COLOR="77656"']I don't' give a **** what any adult or other kid thinks about this matter. it should be legal and that's final. No if and or butts about it. [/COLOR][/quote]Nice sentiment, but it won't change my opinion. Arguments about how it's less dangerous are meaningless to me. For the simple reason that every single person I know who has used it has changed for the worse. Not one of them ever got anything positive out of it other than for their own benefit. You can argue that it's not the same for others, but I've yet to see a single person I know use it and not be adversely affected. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]Why are we protecting people from themselves? Isn't part of being an adult the ability to make personal decisions and not have the government unnecessarily intervening in their private life?

Sure, it's not healthy. So what? Should we legislate diet as well, so that you're only allowed a certain calorie intake relative to your personal weight?[/font][/QUOTE]

You know, I have used the same argument before- why are we protecting people from themselves, when those that are actually foolish enough to need that kind of laws will only remove themselves from the gene pool and not make more stupid people.

Though we do need to keep some laws that make it so that as stupid people eliminate themselves they don't take out people who know better than to be stupid in the process.

However in this case, the drug in question doesn't affect just the person using it- it affects them, those near them, and can potentially affect people who are just in the area. I say the same of Tobacco, and if you really wanted to be accurate improper usage of Alcohol can too (Drunk Driving, alcohol-related domestic violence etc).

The reason why I am not against alcohol is because while it does have it's effects, people who enjoy it responsibly don't hurt anyone, and actually are believed to see some beneficial effects. Fact is drinking wine around other people doesn't force them to drink it as well, while smoking pot or tobacco (even responsibly) causes everyone around you to experience the secondhand smoke, whether they like it or not, and it has the same health effects on them as it does on the person using it.

And as for restricting diets, totally impractical- in fact don't even go there. The only time they would even consider it is during wartime when the food is needed to supply an army.

[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]Why are we protecting people from themselves? Isn't part of being an adult the ability to make personal decisions and not have the government unnecessarily intervening in their private life?

Sure, it's not healthy. So what? Should we legislate diet as well, so that you're only allowed a certain calorie intake relative to your personal weight?[/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Honestly, yes. Part of a governments duty is to look-out for the welfare of it's citizens, even if this is "intervening in their private lives". I mean, if we get right down to it, if alcohol and tobacco were introduced now, they would almost certainly be illegal due to their toxic long-term effects, so the only reasons both remain legal is down to history and profit margins for corporations.

Most of what I've read has come from anti-drugs campaigns, so I'll admit there's a slant on it, the same way there would be if it came from a pro-drugs one. If some day there is an impartial long-term effects trial done, and it unequivocally states that cannabis is not dangerous, then I'll consider changing my stance, but right now, it's just a dangerous drug that needs to stay banned for people's own safety.

Just remember of course, if it is legalised and some company like Johnson or Pfizer get a hold of it, they're going to try to get it passed the FDA as cheaply as they can, regardless of how safe it is. It's not like legalising it is suddenly going to produce a 100% safe version of it, because they know they've got customers just dying to get their hands on it.

On a lighter note, you're aware that the side of the argument that Premonition agrees with loses by default right Alex ? ;)[/SIZE]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="77656"]So if something like beer is legal, marijuana should be too.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Hmm. I believe - correct me if I am mistaken - that the good ol' US of A made an attempt at country-wide prohibition at one point. It simply made the problem worse, not better.[/size]

[quote name='Arispa'][size=1]Hmm. I believe - correct me if I am mistaken - that the good ol' US of A made an attempt at country-wide prohibition at one point. It simply made the problem worse, not better.[/size][/QUOTE]

It did indeed make the problem worse, and to this day you will still find bottles of beer on the bottom of the Niagara river that were dumped there by bootleggers who were about to get caught.

Plus like I mentioned in my last post- Alcohol enjoyed responsibly does not hurt people other than possibly the person drinking it. Irresponsible consumption of alcohol, such as drinking and driving or drinking when you know that you are a violent drunk does hurt others though, and I think it should be regulated.

Easiest way I can think of is for the Department of Motor Vehicles to mark the driver's licenses of people who have a DWI on their record or a history of domestic violence. Because the driver's license is the most common form of ID used to purchase alcohol in the US, I think it would work fairly well if you marked it on that.

It wouldn't be 100% effective though, as many clerks don't check your ID if you look like you are old enough to buy it- and does nothing to stop someone who can legally get it giving it to someone who can't. Still, I think it would stop a lot of them.

[quote name='Retribution][font=Arial']I invite those who are anti-Mary Jane to give a valid reason as to why it should remain illegal. To be honest, I have yet to hear any reasoning worth my time.[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Actually, I haven't heard any good arguments from the [I]pro[/I]-Mary Jane angle, either. Every argument or debate in which this topic has come up ? heated, well-represented, or just casual ? has been ultimately boring on both sides.

The reason the decision won't be overturned is because there is no solid case for legalization; even though the drug's opponents haven't got a great case either, they have precedent, which makes defending it all the easier.

Works for me.[/FONT]

[quote name='XeEmO;798633] Do you think marijuana should be legalized? [/QUOTE]No.[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial']I invite those who are anti-Mary Jane to give a valid reason as to why it should remain illegal. To be honest, I have yet to hear any reasoning worth my time.[/font][/quote]I?ve no interest in supporting the legalization of Marijuana. And my reasons are as follows:
[LIST]
[*]Exposure, like second had smoke from cigarettes I want nothing to do with it or the cancer causing effects it can have. Just as I don?t want to be high either.
[/LIST]
The other reasons fall under how I?ve seen it affect those around me who do smoke it:
[LIST]
[*]Loss of interest in doing things with friends.
[*]Loss of interest in studying for school.
[*]Loss of interest in going to work on time.
[*]Loss of interest in doing things with their kids.
[*]Getting in trouble with the law for selling.
[*]Getting in trouble with the law for having it in their possession.
[*]Getting in trouble and fired from work for testing positive at a random drug screen.
[*]Dumping friends because they won?t ?smoke? with them.
[*]Dropping out of school because they quit studying and were failing.
[/LIST]
There are others but that sort of thing is what I?ve seen in each and every friend I?ve had who got into this stuff. So why would I want to legalize something that has done nothing but mess up the people I know who use it?

[COLOR="77656"]I know the whole battle is useless anyways. People want marijuana legal and people want cigaretes illegal, but nothing has changed. I just think it [I]should [/I]be legal.
But it wouldbe a good idea if the government made it elgal for a few months and see how it goes. If the plan works bad, keep it illegal, if it works well, think more about it.
the government never trials these things.

[QUOTE]So why would I want to legalize something that has done nothing but mess up the people I know who use it?[/QUOTE]

It's the same as other drugs. Some can control themselvees, some can't. The ones that can't control themselves wind up in ****. One of my freinds smokes pot, and nothing has changed in her life. She's the same way she's always been. She knows how to control herself with it.

Anyways, if you want to smoke pot scotch free, go to Amsterdam and whatnot. I think it should be legal, but I know it won't happen in the near future.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="77656"]As does most other drugs out in the world. Children's Tylonal, Excedrin, Claritin. Each drug has both negative and positive impacts.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Actually, results and research have been much more consistent and universal than with marijuana, so I don't see your point.

If you're going to make an argument and compare marijuana with thoroughly researched and tested drugs, maybe you should argue about getting marijuana thoroughly tested and researched first. Don't think marijuana is some God-like drug that can skip the steps other drugs have had to exhaustively go through.

[font=arial][size=1]I was previously a social pot-smoker but I have made some changes and I no longer agree with it or the abuse of any other drug. However...

I completely agree with Retribution's points, apparently he has the same beliefs as me. As long as it doesn't harm other people's quality of life, I see no problems with people "destroying" themselves.

AzureWolf: Cigarettes must be godlike then.

Marijuana is less addictive than cigarettes. People don't get "stuck" on pot and can't quit like what cigs do from almost the start. I quit it and never had an urge to smoke again, and I've heard the same thing from several other people in person and it's all over the internet. Meanwhile, ask anyone who has smoked for a few months or more and ask them if they still like doing it.

Also, dropping out of school/work/whatever can be because of anything. Sometimes it's pot, sometimes it's cigs or alcohol, sometimes it's music! I've had friends who abandon me because I don't smoke pot just like I don't get invited to parties because I don't drink. Using pot as a scapegoat for this is dumb.[/font][/size]

[color=darkred][size=1]

There was a recent poll done in Switzerland (where Marijuana use is legal) that proved that high school students who smoke pot socially are just as studeous and well adjusted as those who do not smoke pot.

Marijuana is a weed, that comes out of the Earth. Nothing is added to it (as far as I know) and it isn't tampered with by other harmful chemicals. People have been using it for centuries. Its probably less harmful than alcohol, and it seems to be that it is safer than cigarettes.

All Marijuana laws are doing is clogging our court system in America and shoving a bunch of (more-than-less) harmless stoners in jail. If we sin-taxed mary-jane like we do alcohol, and made it legal, the government could probably pull a bit of much needed tax dollars from it.

I don't smoke pot or anything else personally, because I'm an athlete and I can't be messing with my lungs. But I don't disagree with the use of the drug either. Its inevitable that people are going to smoke pot, so making it illegal is just preventing the inevitable.

Kinda like asking teenagers to practice abstinence.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I read the majority of the posts and haven't really heard much logic on either side of the argument. Some of you are saying that since alcohol and tobacco are so bad that marijuana should be legalized because it's just as bad. This is faulty logic. It's like saying two wrongs make a right.

A lot of people here seem to have bad experience with marijuana. Probably a friend or something that's abused the drug. I personally think most anything can be abused and have a negative light put on it. Food is a great example. Obesity in this nation is... well, obese. It's gotten quite ridiculous. But that's totally irrelevant. My point here is that the potential for abuse should be measured and taken into account. I have very little experience with marijuana so i really can't say anything beyond that.

I personally think it should be made legal, at least in an attempt to better understand what would happen. So many of the arguments for and against the legalization of it can't be seen until we observe the effects of both legalizing and illegalizing it. And since we already know what it'd be like if it were illegal i think we should give legalizing it a chance. It's a little like prohibition. We saw what it was like to have it both legal and illegal here and found out quickly which was worse. Since then i doubt we'll ever illegalize alcohol again.

I think you anti-pot'rs oughta go out and smoke some. It's actually quite enjoyable when done so responsibly, just like drinking and (probably to a smaller degree) smoking. Go get some friends together and watch a movie and each some junk food. It'll be fun, trust me. =D

[/FONT][/COLOR]