OtakuBoards

Dating

Roxie Faye

[color=#9933ff]Just a simple question, nothing to heavy, drama-inducing, or "omg, halps me with my bf/gf prob!!" My friends and I were just talking about dating at dinner today, so the topic is in my head.

Just wondering if you prefer to know someone very well before you date them, or if you prefer blind dates.

Had any bad (or good) dating stories (blind or otherwise), please feel free to share.[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Dates are pleasant and fun, at least for me. Mostly because I have this ability to totally unnerve whoever I'm out with by smiling enigmatically and pursing my lips at regular intervals.

Blind dates are fun to try every once in awhile, but usually end in disaster.

And sometimes when you know a person too well before the date, things don't go so well. But the odds of success aren't bad. Of course with a blind date, you never have to ever see them again if they were a bad kisser or a socially inept retard.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][COLOR=deeppink]Dating scares the ever-loving **** out of me, blind or not.[/COLOR][/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Same. There are a number of people I like, but I'll always find reasons to discourage myself. I know it's just fear of things going wrong, though. There's only been one person I've not felt that for, and then she buggered off with someone else >.>; Typical. But I guess if you find someone you're willing to bridge that gap for then fear doesn't really come into it.

It would take a lot of persuasion for me to go on a blind date. I've been set up with people by friends in the past and they turned out to be right weirdos. I don't know if that's just bad luck, but I like to get a sense of whether they're the right kind of person first before digging deeper. And anyway, I much prefer meeting people in a more natural way- being forced into meeting each other is a little barbarous if you ask me.[/COLOR]

[size=1]I'm Dutch, met my German girlfriend in France (we weren't very close then yet) and after almost a year of talking on MSN we met up again for an awkward week at my place. That was 5 months ago and now we're the happiest people alive. :')

But I do like to go on dates with her, though. :'D[/size]

[SIZE="1"]I hate the idea of dating. It scares the crap out of me as well. I just hate the feeling of being totally tied down and emotionally tied to that certain person. When I do date people it feels like I am the weight bearer of all their problems. I just have a lot of guy friends to make up for it. They seem to find me innocent, adorable, and cute. They offer to pay for stuff and sometimes I allow them. Why get tied down, you know? Last time I was in a relationship, the boyfriend threatened to beat up a lot of guys who talked with me. I hate seeing people get hurt. I hate seeing myself get hurt. If there's no dating in the picture, no one gets hurt. I love freedom of the single life too much. [/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Man, why do you guys all hate dating so much? O_o

I love dating. It's a really good way to strengthen a relationship with someone you don't know too well yet or someone who you do know already. Yes, sometimes you will go on a bad date but they don't always go wrong. The whole process of going on one good date and then a second and perhaps a third (to the point where you make it official) is very exciting. :animesmil[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=arial][size=1]Anime forum, remember, 8bit?

I have really bad anxiety issues and it basically prevents me from asking girls out on dates. XD I guess the same as Nerdsy.

I honestly have only been in one relationship long enough to where we could have actually dated eachother, but she didn't like dating either so we just kept it to hanging/making out. Yay. All my other "relationships" were more or less flings before the girl realized she made some sort of huge mistake and left me for some other dude... or chick... Yeah.[/font][/size]

[color=crimson]I worked with my girlfriend for 4-5 months at Wendy's. Asked her if she wanted to grab a bite and a movie, she said yeah. Best decision of my life, man. It is 15 months later and I adore her.

Obviously, I knew a great deal about her and, really, that is how I handled dating before finding her. I do not really see any appeal in blind dating. I got to know girls, if they seemed interesting I would ask them out, and it would either go from there or not. Three times before Brit (my girlfriend) it didn't go from there. This time, it did and I am happy as can be.

My point of view? Dating isn't scary. You guys are scared of failure and social embarrassment. The opposite sex is not scary either, lol. Either you click, or you don't.

A good bit of advice, don't bring the girl back late on your first date. The movie ran later than I thought and the next two weeks she was grounded. Haha, sweet start to a romantic relationship right?[/color]

[quote name='Japan_86'][SIZE="1"]I hate the idea of dating. It scares the crap out of me as well. I just hate the feeling of being totally tied down and emotionally tied to that certain person. When I do date people it feels like I am the weight bearer of all their problems. I just have a lot of guy friends to make up for it. They seem to find me innocent, adorable, and cute. They offer to pay for stuff and sometimes I allow them. Why get tied down, you know? Last time I was in a relationship, the boyfriend threatened to beat up a lot of guys who talked with me. I hate seeing people get hurt. I hate seeing myself get hurt. If there's no dating in the picture, no one gets hurt. I love freedom of the single life too much. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Georgia"]I approve of this post.
Describes how I see dating exactly xD
I've seen my friends go crazy with dating, and I've seen them all get hurt. I'm just not really eager to get into that scene. I'm completely happy being single, and no, I don't find it lonely at all. I just don't date. I discourage it, haha.[/FONT]

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Man, why do you guys all hate dating so much? O_o[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]That's what I was wondering since like you said, it's a great way to strengthen a relationship and learn more about one another. They don't always work out of course but still, it's worth it.

About the only thing I don't care for is blind dates. For the simple reason that the few times I let my friends set me up... it was a disaster. But other than that it's been a combination of fun, frustrating and exhilarating when you've found someone you really adore. Also, DeathKnight gives good advice, don't bring her back late on the first date, well at least not until after you're out on your own.

Awww Anomaly, dating is fun! Especially when it's the right person. ;)

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]My point of view? Dating isn't scary. You guys are scared of failure and social embarrassment. The opposite sex is not scary either, lol. Either you click, or you don't. [/color][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Dating has the potential to lead to failure and social embarrassment. Therefore, I am scared of dating.

And for the record, I'm every bit as scared about it clicking as I am it not.[/color]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']

Awww Anomaly, dating is fun! Especially when it's the right person. ;)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Georgia"]but I don't wanna

D;

it doesn't even help that I'm SO PICKY.
My standards are so ridiculous, and I think I make them that way so then I have more excuses not to date. Haha. I'm excellent, obviously.[/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My biggest objection to dating is that I'm still considered jail bait. XP That and I still think most guys suck. I sort of lose though... since one of the guys I go to school with and I see on a regular basis since he takes piano lessons from my mom... he surprised me by giving me a present for Christmas and that sneak kissed me on the cheek when he did so. >_< Dammit!

Until that moment I hadn't even realized he had a crush on me and of course I had to do something nice in return so I made some cookies and gave them to him as thanks. And then we ended up going to see the movie National Treasure together... does that count? I don't consider him my boyfriend since I don't know what I think, other than I consider him a friend.

In other words... Dating is confusing and boys are as well! Gah! [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My biggest objection to dating is that I'm still considered jail bait. XP That and I still think most guys suck. I sort of lose though... since one of the guys I go to school with and I see on a regular basis since he takes piano lessons from my mom... he surprised me by giving me a present for Christmas and that sneak kissed me on the cheek when he did so. >_< Dammit!

Until that moment I hadn't even realized he had a crush on me and of course I had to do something nice in return so I made some cookies and gave them to him as thanks. And then we ended up going to see the movie National Treasure together... does that count? I don't consider him my boyfriend since I don't know what I think, other than I consider him a friend.

In other words... Dating is confusing and boys are as well! Gah! [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]You're Cute.[/SIZE]

Personally, I LOVE dating. Well, I've only ever dated one guy, but when I did it was just lovely. I loved that feeling of being on a date, and we ended up becoming official a few months later (after many MANY "dates"). Mind, this was (oh man) two years ago.

We didn't know each other very well on that first date, but it lead to my best friend and boyfriend (we didn't last long as a romantic couple, but we were still friends). So I don't know if knowing each other really well would affect it, but it was a great way to get to know him and to keep the conversation going! ;)

MAN I'd love to go on a date again! ha ha

IMO, dating is cool, but there's a time and a place for it. I think that's the crux of what people who aren't into dating are saying. High School? For some, maybe, but let's face it, it's a weak substitute for college. HS, everyone has the same background, same "interests," it's not really about finding what you truly like, just going with the flow of where you are. NOW college, that's where you meet that annoying foreign exchange student, Asians from California, that chick from the arbitrary state that no one cares about, etc. That's when you are exposed to several things and a really diverse populace, such that you can actually find out what you like and not just follow everyone else.

And still for some, college is more about grades than dating, and so sometimes that's still not the right time and place.

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Man, why do you guys all hate dating so much? O_o[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]SRSLY

I mean personally, I think there's multiple definitions to the term "date". The first would be just a one-on-one outing with someone, usually to a meal/walk/movie/etc and the understanding that there could potentially be something romantic/physical there. The second would be a slightly more exclusive shebang where the two are more or less consistently seeing each other.

Either way, though, it's great fun. Sure, there's some anxiety you need to overcome in order to enjoy it, but on the whole it's awsm.[/font]

[quote name='Anomaly'][FONT="Georgia"]but I don't wanna

D;

it doesn't even help that I'm SO PICKY.
My standards are so ridiculous, and I think I make them that way so then I have more excuses not to date. Haha. I'm excellent, obviously.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[color=black][size=1]I use to be like that =/ Ultra super picky to the point where no one was actually good enough.

Luckily i grew out of that (not saying negative anomaly ><; don't take it that way!) when i went out with my last boyfriend (of course we are no longer together). And theres so many people i turned down that i wish i hadn't now.

I've been on quite alot of dates, about 2yrs ago (so when i was 18) i met someone through a friend, and he wanted to go out with me, so i said yeah as long as we went with a bunch of friends xD At one point he grabbed my hand and i freaked! Quite clearly i wasn't ready for anything at that point. But now i feel more than ready ^^ you watch others around you in relationships and you can see how happy it makes them, of course not all relationships are great (my friend had the worst relationship ever ><).

So i feel dating is a great thing, just when your ready of course ^^[/color][/size]

[quote name='AzureWolf']NOW college, that's where you meet that annoying foreign exchange student, Asians from California, that chick from the arbitrary state that no one cares about, etc. That's when you are exposed to several things and a really diverse populace, such that you can actually find out what you like and not just follow everyone else.[/QUOTE][color=#9933ff]Lol to all of that, and all the stereotypes you used. They're semi-true for me, too.[/color]

[quote name='AzureWolf']And still for some, college is more about grades than dating, and so sometimes that's still not the right time and place.[/QUOTE][color=#9933ff]That [strike]might be[/strike] is (probably) me.

I'm not scared by dating, I just haven't gone on a lot of them, and I wish I did, more. I'm one of those people, though, who can't just go on a date for the hell of it. I have to at least find them b/f material in some small, miniscule way. One time I didn't really like this guy at ALL, but I went on a date with him anyway (two dates actually), and it was nerve-wracking the whole time because I didn't actually like him at all. (Of course it took me about four weeks to figure THAT out.)[/color]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I never dated before... >_< I don't know if I want to. It seems weird. And apparently I'm oblivious to people who like(d) me.

Plus, there's the whole parental thing. Even if I wanted to date in highschool, I couldn't. I got into trouble because my friend hugged a guy! Then another one of my friend's got a bf. When my parent's found out they were like "I don't want you hanging out with her anymore." They think that if a guy touches me, I'll get pregnant or something. Now, after I get my university degree, they'll be asking me when I'm going to get married. :animestun They already started (and the majority of the relatives too) to do that with my eldest sister (my mom went on saying how when she was her age, she was already married and pregnant with her.) So, even if I wanted to date, it would have to be in secret.:animesigh

Anywhoo, dating seems to [I]change[/I] people. My brother started to go out with my friend and I already don't like it! When he told me, I thought he was playing a trick on me (I'm still in denial.) And now he's being all optimistic and stuff about it and did the whole facebook relationship changing thingy. :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/FONT]