OtakuBoards

Favorite Physical Activities and Staying Fit.

Zen

[color=royalblue][size=1]

The topic is simple. I know the OB isn't populated by a bunch of lazy couch potatoes (atleast I'm not). So the question is, how does the average Otakuboards member stay in shape, and what are some of your favorite physical activities (i.e., sports, games, what-have-you).

For me, its as follows:

[b]Martial Arts:[/b] a big passion for me that started with four years in Tae Kwon Do. After getting a black belt, I moved onto doing other forms to broaden my horizons. This was helped along with my love and interest in mixed martial arts (such as UFC, WEC, etc).

I love the thrill of a sparring match, grappling, and what not. I've picked up skills in kickboxing, submission grappling (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and I even joined my school's wrestling team for a season. Me and a few of my friends occasionally get together and have friendly body-shot/grappling fights (no one gets hurt really). It's a good time, definetly the most entertaining physical activity for me to take part in. And when no one is around, nothing is wrong with a little shadowboxing and hitting my punching bag. Good stuff.

I've also since picked up basic tricking and free-running from martial arts, which is another acvitivy unto itself, and very fun.

[b]Dancing:[/b] I've been dancing for sometime now, but most of it was self-taught or through watching music videos. None the less, I became good enough at it for people to ask for me for lessons, which I always turn down. Of course, my main style is Hip Hop, and that was my only style until this past year when I joined my school's latin dane club, and made the ensemble group. My horizons have since been broadened. Dancing is really, really fun. I love doing it, and I've been put on stage several times over the past year in order to show what I can do. Just give me a beat, and I'll be dancing.

Also I've picked up what most call "hardcore dancing" or "throwing down" at Death Metal and hardcore punk shows, which is just as fun, though often dangerous. My skills in martial arts definetly flow over into this in an interesting way. Fun times.

[b]Basketball:[/b] I've loved basketball for a very long time. I used to play on a team in my Jr. High days, but after my first season, I realized that I loved playing streetball one-on-one or three-on-three far more than having a whole team relying on me. There's nothing quite like a good game of basketball. It's just an exhilarating game for me. My family used to own a goal, and there is one in my neighbourhood out front that I play on often. I love the game.

Go Celtics! Heh.

So what about you?[/color][/size]

Track. I just love to run! I often get these urges to run nowhere for no reason. Track helps me keep those compulsions in check. Running just has to be the greatest feeling in the world for me!

Brawling with little sister. I'm not saying that I like it, but I fight with my arrogant little sister all the time. And these fights often turn violent. There's a lot of dodging, kicking, punching, slapping, kneeing, biting, pulling hair, etc. We're just plain violent when mixed together. And as much as I hate wasting my time with these fights, they sure keep me in shape.

Nonetheless, I am going to try and lose weight this summer. I often eat just to have something to do. But on the plus side...I'm going to take up karate this summer!:animesmil

[FONT="Georgia"]Soccer. All soccer.
SO MUCH SOCCER. All the time. I love it, it's fantastic, nothing else does it for me quite like soccer does. I've been playing for 14 years, 5-6 years were on a club team. I'm back on community, for the second season, and it's a lot more fun than.. probably any of club teams, but just as competitive. Nothing beats the adrenaline rush I get when I beat someone out for the ball, or sprint and run someone down (I'm a defender, can you tell? ;D). It's a great way to run off some aggression, and winning is also a pretty darn good feeling, no surprise, haha.

I also like watching it... Eurocup, anyone?[/FONT]

[font=Arial]I work out not to be healthy, but to look good (yay narcissism). Generally, I just lift weights and diet in a way to maximize those muscle gains. I used to do martial arts, but we did so little sparring and so many kata that I lost interest quickly. Granted, martial art is a lot cooler than just lifting weights, but I didn't enjoy it much I guess.

I try to work out every other day, but admittedly my routine isn't rounded enough yet. So far, I've been focusing on my pectorals, biceps, triceps, abs, and shoulders. I've totally neglected my legs for now. Aside from leg press, I'm thinking about doing sprints to build up strength and definition (particularly in my calves). Could anyone tell me if that's a good/effective idea?

I hate running without a purpose (around a track, etc) but I do enjoy running while playing soccer. Although my passion for playing the sport has significantly decreased, I do enjoy playing from time to time with friends.[/font]

[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]

I try to work out every other day, but admittedly my routine isn't rounded enough yet. So far, I've been focusing on my pectorals, biceps, triceps, abs, and shoulders. I've totally neglected my legs for now. Aside from leg press, I'm thinking about doing sprints to build up strength and definition (particularly in my calves). Could anyone tell me if that's a good/effective idea?

[/font][/QUOTE]

Ain't nothin' wrong with lookin' good, baby. I know that's why I try to excercise often.

I'd say do squats and calf-raisers to supplement the sprinting. I know that those work, but I'm not sure on the sprinting. It might, it might not, I don't know about it really. I sounds like it could work, and it'd probably be fun. It'd also probably be good for breathing and blood flow. Doing them back to back will help your cardio-vascular system also I know. So I'd say go for it, but if you want make sure you're getting definition, do the squats and calf-raisers along with it.

And I also love playing the occasional game of soccer, though it has been a while. It's dangerous playing with me, because I'll kick head level ALOT, haha.[/color][/size]

[FONT="Arial"]I generally don't exercise for lack of interest in doing so, but I have to take a team sports class over the summer to earn the graduation credit without having to bother with the class during the actual school year.

So far I've shot a lot of baskets, lifted some weights, and played some weird mix of soccer and keep-away. Usually I wouldn't be so interested in any of this, but the whole class is made up of good friends of mine, so exerting myself is 100% more fun than it would be otherwise.

I used to play DDR a lot, but I eventually got bored of that. If I had the chance to play on a machine more often, however, I would spend hours dance dance revolting.

I'm also a little interested in taking karate again - the last time I did I had to quit because I started middle school, which didn't end until well after the karate classes started. But as I'm a super self-conscious teenager, I don't think I'll pursue this interest very far.[/FONT]

[color="#004a6f"]I don't have much interest in sports, because I'm usually no good. I like track and field (I would say I'm decent at long-jump and sprinting, though there's a lot of room for improvement). I really need to work on my strength and endurance. I also get out of breath easily, so long distance running is very hard on me.

I enjoy swimming mostly. It exercises so many of your muscles, and as an added bonus, you don't sweat![/color]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I used to wrestle a lot back in highschool and ever since that's been over, all I've been doing is playing myself to oblivion with DDR. The game keeps me in some sort of shape and I play often enough in the arcade to be pretty good...and if you don't believe me...proof's in the pudding[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF6-zrCAk34"]DDR SKILLZUH[/URL][/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I used to wrestle a lot back in highschool and ever since that's been over, all I've been doing is playing myself to oblivion with DDR. The game keeps me in some sort of shape and I play often enough in the arcade to be pretty good...and if you don't believe me...proof's in the pudding[/FONT][/Quote]

Ur doin' it wrong. Lemme helpz.

Korey:
[YOUTUBE="DDR Skill"]dF6-zrCAk34[/YOUTUBE]

I love myself some DDR also. I'm definetly not great at it, but its fun. I wish I could play more often.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]
[B]Ur doin' it wrong. Lemme helpz.[/color][/size][/B]

[B]I love myself some DDR also. I'm definetly not great at it, but its fun. I wish I could play more often.[/color][/size][/QUOTE][/B]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]thank ya thank ya, but you also did it wrong :P (fixed your html)[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][/B]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]thank ya thank ya, but you also did it wrong :P (fixed your html)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Question mark?

Anyways, there's an arcade a little ways away from my house that has a DDR machine and some other similar game. I plan on visiting there more often and playing, because I thoroughly enjoy it.[/color][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]I don't do push-ups so often, but I keep in... semi-shape but occasionally doing crunches/sit ups, and of course, I hardcore dance pretty much like three times a week, and that seems to help some. Also. I drink V8. Good job. Other than that, I play drums all the time, and I mean PLAY. I get down on those things in this hot room, and just sweat until I can't sweat any more. Yep yep yep.

Well. There is one more thing. But. Nevermind. But oh how I envy you guys, and your amazing skills at DDR. Too bad... I can only play Guitar Hero... and it doesn't do much for me at all.

oh yeah. p.s- on the subject of recreational games. Wii Fit is by far the dumbest game I can imagine. Why waste money on the game... when you can [I]actually[/I] work out?
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I walk. It's not that hard to do since the campus I attend is pretty big. I also avoid using my car unless I need to. When it's warm out I also get more exercise by hiking and doing yard work. I don't have a specific workout per se. I get more than enough walking each week to qualify for it and I have no interest in adding even more on top of that.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I stay fit by taking my dog on regular walks. I also keep fit by taking her on hikes during the summer. Sometimes I'll go swimming, but I love going on walks the best. There are some nice pretty trails along the river that are perfect for getting exercise for myself and my dog. It almost goes without saying; she loves the walks. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I workout a lot. I work part time, so I go in at noon. That gives me plenty of time for working out. I usually run/walk in the park, or do the treadmill depending on the weather. Plus five hundred crunches. Five diffrent ones, one hundred of each. And full sit ups. I usually do fifty push ups at one time, then do more periodically throughout the day. I switch off though and do weights one day, then push ups the next day etc.

A big one is martial arts. After work I'm there from 6(or 7, depending on the day) till almost ten everynight. Not on weekends though. I do Taekwondo, Muay Thai kickboxing, and some ground fighting. I prefer stand up to ground fighting though.

I have two TKD classes, then the kickboxing class everynight. And lately my instructor has had us sparring the whole class(in the kickboxing)to prepair for our fight in Chicago in August. Those of us who [i]are[/i] fighting, I think theres maybe ten people from my school who will be competing. Should be fun.

When I get home from all that I'll do some crunches, and push ups. Not over doing though.

I also like hiking, swimming, riding bikes, playing most sports but not on any team. I don't get to swim much though.

Working out in any form is like a hobby for me. XD[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Walking and hiking. I've also had some basic self defense courses. Seriously though, I get enough running around on my feet that I don't bother to spend even more time working out. It's more than enough that when summer and hiking comes around I have no trouble keeping up for a five mile or longer hike. [/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

I took Tang Soo Do for about five years. I did tons of tournament sparring and forms, so needless to say, I was in pretty good shape. Now I am a full time student with a job, so I don't have time.

But I have managed to stay somewhat in shape. I still enjoy running and doing crunches (Even moreso now, we have just entered swimsuit season).

I also love soccer. I played for six years, and still enjoy kicking the ball around with my little brother.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]I don't really do anything I would consider special or out of the ordinary. I head into the gym a few nights a week to work out when I have the time. Most of the time I stick to the treadmill, the rowing-machine, bike and climber, at about 15/20 minutes each. After that I'll spend some time working out with weights, nothing too heavy so I don't bulk up as opposed to define what's there. To relax I'll head down to the pool, do a few laps and then relax my muscles in the sauna for a while. And that's pretty much it.

I used to do martial arts, both Judo and Karate but both clubs closed down and I'm as happy to stick with my gym routine now.[/SIZE]