OtakuBoards

What is Love?

Elk

[COLOR="Teal"]Now, while I understand that love is something different to everyone, a word, a feeling, a choice, I want to see others people concept of love. Do you feel you know you're in love when your heart flutters, or do you never know that you're in love until that person is gone? Is love a choice for you, or just something that tends to happen to you? Do you through the word around like it has no consequences, or do you treat it with the respect it deserves? Everyone expresses and defines love differently and none can really be wrong.
But love... just the word. Just thinking about it. It makes you wonder, where is the psycology and logic behind it all? Or perhaps love is the absence of that logic. Although no one can ever say that "that is the correct definition of love" there are many ideas on the subject floating around. And I would [I]love[/I] to hear some from the members of the OB.[/COLOR]

[font=Arial]Love is yelling at your little brother all day, and then having his back as soon as someone else picks on him.

Love is when you argue with your parents, run away from home, and they come looking for you despite your insanity.

Love is forgiving in the face of reason, wishing well for someone no matter what they feel about you, sacrificing your personal comfort for them, telling a hard truth, etc.[/font]

[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]Love is yelling at your little brother all day, and then having his back as soon as someone else picks on him.

Love is when you argue with your parents, run away from home, and they come looking for you despite your insanity.

Love is forgiving in the face of reason, wishing well for someone no matter what they feel about you, sacrificing your personal comfort for them, telling a hard truth, etc.[/font][/QUOTE][size=1][i]Ditto used "Quoted for Truth" on Retribution![/i][/size]

*is resisting a violent urge to break into the song by Haddaway*

There is more to love than just action.

Passion, Romance, looking out for each other play a role in relationship love, which is a bit different from family love because those elements are present in higher amounts.

Love also means that even though you might argue with somebody at times, you truely and deeply do care about them- and if they need help you will drop everything to protect them.

In addition, the things you say about someone you love and what you tell them is another way of showing just how much you love somebody.

If you talk sweetly to them, and tell them how much they mean to you- then back this up with actions that prove it, most people will realize just how much you love them and make an effort to return that love.

Though it is a combination of words and actions. Say you love them, but then do something to show them just how much you meant it.

[quote name='Elk']So everyone here thinks that love is action, more than anything else? i guess that's true since you can always say you love someone but not act like it.[/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]I guess so. You can always say "I love you" but there is no truth to the statement until one can back it up. In the absence of proof, the words are empty. To be certain, love is internal and therefore not a physical thing, but it manifests itself in the physical.

For example,

Parent: I love you! (abuses child)

or

Boyfriend: I love you! (cheats on you)[/font]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Allow me to put on my Philsophizing pants.

*mmm, snug*

Love is the attraction of one to the particular preciousness of another.

Love is more than action, more than words, more than pretty much most other things. Love is what keeps you from putting a gun between your teeth. Of course on the other hand, the line between insanity and love is rather blurry. But that's okay and we should all just relax when you consider that love is more than the warm mushy feeling you get when your significant other looks at you a particular way.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi']*is resisting a violent urge to break into the song by Haddaway*[/QUOTE]

What is love
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
no more
What is love
Yeah
Oh I don't know
why you're not fair
I give you my love
but you don't care
So what is right
and what is wrong
gimme a sign
(chorus x2)
uoh oh...
Oh I don't know
what can I do
what else can I say
it's up to you
I know we're one
just me and you
I can't go on
(chorus x2)
uoh oh..
What is love
What is love
What is love
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
no more
Don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
I want no other
No other love
This is your life
our time
When we are together
I need you forever
Is it love
(chorus x2)
uoh oh..
(chorus x2)
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
no more
what is love?!...

that is what love is (sorry *I* couldnt resist)

[SIZE="1"]I can't believe nobody posted the video yet... Why do you think we have the Youtube tags people if not for these situations ?

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Haddaway - What is Love ?."]nsCXZczTQXo[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]

Being serious, I think Retri gave some good examples of what love means in most of our lives. For me, love is in normal situations putting another person ahead of yourself, and your own needs to ensure their happiness and contentment. In greater, more important situations, love is being able to do and say things you never thought possible because another person means so much to you.

Maybe in the end the Matrix had the best explanation, love is just a word, what matters is the connection it implies. [/SIZE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="darkgreen"]Just to liven this up, just what type of love are we talking about anyway? I'd be curious to know.

Now to answer the question (in general) I would say love is where you care about someone or something else enough that your actions reflect that. You are willing to sacrifice time you would normally spend on yourself for them instead. Because that level of action usually isn't something you would do for someone you don't care for on that level.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]There are four kinds of love according to the venerable C.S. Lewis.

[b]Storge love[/b]: Familiar love, usually between family members. Sometimes you can have too much, and this is usually when your parents call you out on something in front of others because they love you, not because they're being mean. The love of shared values.

[b]Agape love[/b]: The love of giving. When you have agape love, it makes you do things like breakfast in bed for your wife, or doing the chores at a friend's house for them. Good love to have between two people in a romantic relationship.

[b]Philia love[/b]: The love between friends, brotherhood. Also sometimes shared values that lead to shared love, and a good kind of love to have in a relationship.

[b]Eros love[/b]: Just what it sounds like. Indistinguishable from lust at most times. The love of emotional and physical attraction. Doesn't involve a lot of intellectual processes or shared values. It's the immediate attraction and the physical desire for another. Not bad to start a relationship, but if there's no agape or philia, your relationship will burn out pretty fast.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]
For me, love is in normal situations putting another person ahead of yourself, and your own needs to ensure their happiness and contentment. In greater, more important situations, love is being able to do and say things you never thought possible because another person means so much to you.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Teal"]I like this definition of love. =] I think it about somes up the main idea of love.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]There are four kinds of love according to the venerable C.S. Lewis.

...[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]Quoted for truth.

I think that there are many kinds of love. For instance, you do not love your best friend in the same way that you love your wife, or your computer, or your mother. Each love relationship is different, and the sort of love can differ even between siblings. You may look up to and love your grown-up adult brother so much that he has become the role model for your life, and you may feel a completely different more familiar, friendly, and protective love toward your younger brother. The feeling toward your brothers is not more or less, but undoubtably different.

Love does not necessarily mean caring for someone more than yourself (though this is almost certainly the case), but the measure of love differs so much from person to person that it is impossible to but a blanket definition on the word 'love'.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="darkgreen"]Now to answer the question (in general) I would say love is where you care about someone or something else enough that your actions reflect that. You are willing to sacrifice time you would normally spend on yourself for them instead. Because that level of action usually isn't something you would do for someone you don't care for on that level.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]I agree with that but I would expand it to include that you don't begrudge the time spent on someone else. You might spend more time than you would for someone you didn't love deeply, where for the person you really care for, you are more willing to do so and don't mind the time sacrificed.

Guest AlphaMale
[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]There are four kinds of love[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

These loves are actually used in Christianity. Agape being the "God" kind of love. In which its "unconditional" and "everlasting".

Love is action in my opinion.

Although you can have action without love, you can't have love without action.

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Uhm... there's four kinds of love to me as well. There's... da butt... da mouth...

Ugh, da hand, and.... oh wait. We're talkin' emotional love, aren't we?

For me, love is the universal truth, the solution to conflict. Love is when you put another person's needs, or feelings, before your own. Love for me is sacrafice, and improvement. You'll make yourself a better person for the ones you love, and you'll sacrafice things that you'd normally do in your life in order to spend time with or appease the ones you love. However, if you actually love that person, you'd want to do said things, so it wouldn't really be a sacrafice. It'd just be a choice.

That's my take on it.

P.S. - (Watch the film "The Ladies Man" and your question will be answered).[/color][/size]

[quote name='AlphaMale']These loves are actually used in Christianity. Agape being the "God" kind of love. In which its "unconditional" and "everlasting".

Love is action in my opinion.

Although you can have action without love, you can't have love without action.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Did you read the book?

These loves are more than merely Christian kinds of love. Parents love their children no matter what religion they are, and that's still storge love. Agape is the love God has for us but at the same time we can have agape love for one another.

Agape love is the love of action. The love of giving. According to that old outdated book the Bible [and here I'm being facetious], Jesus was sent to die on the Cross yada yada, but the part where God gives up his son for the sake of humanity is the expression of agape love that will save mankind.

Have you ever loved someone from a distance? There you love, because you know you can not have, but you take no action. Because you know you can't. That's love too.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest AlphaMale
[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]These loves are more than merely Christian kinds of love. Parents love their children no matter what religion they are, and that's still storge love. Agape is the love God has for us but at the same time we can have agape love for one another.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Ha, well its been a while. As some my want to believe that parents love their kids no matter what, I'm evidence that its false. Yeah, my mother still loves me, but when it comes down to it, anything is possible. Especially in the world we live in. There can be families where neither parent loves the child.

Well, also in Christianity, when you're baptized in water you're suppose to be a new person, in which you love everyone with that "agape" love. (Before this goes any further, I'd like to say that I'm not a prime example.)

[quote name='AlphaMale']Ha, well its been a while. As some my want to believe that parents love their kids no matter what, I'm evidence that its false. Yeah, my mother still loves me, but when it comes down to it, anything is possible. Especially in the world we live in. There can be families where neither parent loves the child.

Well, also in Christianity, when you're baptized in water you're suppose to be a new person, in which you love everyone with that "agape" love. (Before this goes any further, I'd like to say that I'm not a prime example.)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I didn't say that all parents love their children all the time. Or always.

I said that the kind of love a parent has for his or her child when there's love to be had in the pure and honest sense, it would be storge or agape. So if your mother loves you, you are evidence that storge love isn't real because.....?

I'm having trouble following your logic in general for several reasons. So I'll just go with your second point. When you are baptized it's a symbol, a declaration. When you become a Christian even before a baptism you are already a 'new creation' that has been 'born again' and the baptism event is simply a pronouncement of that faith before others of your kind.[/FONT][/COLOR]