OtakuBoards

Hunter: The Reckoning: Know Your Enemy

Talon

[color=crimson]This is just a brief listing of all of the enemies, as well as their known weaknesses, that your characters are likely to come in contact with in the early days of the RPG. Please take note that this list is -not- comprehensive, and will be updated as the RPG expands.

Also, to establish setting, every character in the RPG will be travelling, or be in the process of obtaining that travel, to a currently unspecified location to deal with an outbreak. Now, to the list.

[center][b][u]Undead[/b][/u]

[i]Rots:[/i] The classic zombie, ghoul, whatever you wanna call it, these things died and shoulda stayed that way. They're strong, mostly unintelligent, and they have a mean bite. You'll almost never see one of these things trying to live someone else's life, or trying to get into politics. These are the grunts. Watch out, though: some of these things have been spotted with an odd black 'liquid' visible in their wounds, their blood, and even sometimes in their 'aura'. We don't know what it is, but this crap makes them strong, aggressive, resilient, and God help us, intelligent. Susceptible to fire and silver.

[i]Ghosts:[/i] The one undead normal mortals -can't- see, and they're a big problem to us all. They can possess mortals, they can hurt Hunters on a physical level, they can phase through most physical materials, the only damage they take is from Edges, and they're even intelligent enough to take hostages. Most of them aren't all that aggressive, but damn if they ain't annoying. The same black stuff that can be seen in a few rots can be seen in some of these ghosts; it makes them -nasty-. Note that they can't phase through iron; it does hurt them.

[i]Skeletons:[/i] Rots that finished rotting. Mindless, aggressive, and weak, these things are barely worth noting unless you see that black crap on them. They can't speak, and normals see them as homeless people most of the time. We don't know why they get back up; no Hunter has ever seen them attack normals or try to eat anything. They attack Hunters and other Supernaturals on sight.

[i]Vampires:[/i] These things are the nastiest of the nasty. Aggressive, powerful, and intelligent. They can hypnotize you, they can break you in two with little effort, and they can turn you into one of them with a little bite to your neck. They don't often go to the trouble, though. Most of the younger ones just want to eat and kill. They're susceptible to garlic, silver, sunlight, stakes, holy water, and fire. Watch it, though; the older they get, the more they realize those weaknesses are just in their heads 'til sunlight's the only way to bring the hurt. They seem to have a class and clan structure, but damned if we care.

[b][u]Supernaturals[/b][/u]

[i]Werewolves:[/i] Quite possibly the biggest danger to us next to vampires and demons, simply because once they take on a human shape, even Vision Edges are mostly ineffective in identifying them. Good news for us is, not all of them can look human all the time. Mostly aggressive, but some have been known to side with Hunters in purging outbreaks. Keep on your guard, though; if there's a werewolf around, you can be -damn- certain there's nastier nasties then them around, too. Weak to silver and massive damage.

[i]Demons:[/i] Not too much known about these things. They can apparently inhabit the dreams of mortals and wreck their lives from their. No Hunter's gone up against a demon and lived to tell about it, as far as we know. Luckily, there ain't too many of these around.[/color][/center]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you made this primarily for the list, but it's the best place for me to say this. I'm going to be leaving on vacation this Saturday, and I'll be gone for two weeks. I should have Internet access, but I'm not 100% certain, so I figured I'd give a heads-up. If for some reason I don't have Internet access while I'm gone, at least now you know.

UPDATE: I checked, and it looks like I won't have Internet access for the first week, but I will for the second week. Assuming the RPG is started before I leave, I'll try to post before I go; after that, it'll be a week before I can post again. If Vaxla's presence is necessary for something (like a briefing or whatever), just include her, and I'll take over when I have access again.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Are we allowed to suggest variations and new ideas for the freaks and monsters or are we leaving it to you?

Not to be a pushy dame or anything, I just like seeing some of my suggestions being incorporated horrifically into the work.[/FONT][/color]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=Navy]I was wondering if you would mind if i made a special car for my character. It's a little idea I have been working on and I think it would ad a little more substance to my character.

I just thought I would run it past you, Talon, since this is all your thing.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=crimson]First off, Raiha, you are more than allowed to come up with ideas as to monsters, enemies, and the like. In fact, I encourage it. This is -not- just a hack and slash RPG, it's primarily a strategy/survival/war RPG with an added focus on interpersonal relationships, but we can use all the baddies we can get our greedy little paws on, right?

Second, inwardscream, as to your character having a special car, as long as it was feasible given their financial situation, the technology of the current times, and their access to weapons capable of being mounted on a vehicle (I say this because I have the feeling you're trying to make a [u]Dead Reckoning[/u] like in [i]Land of the Dead[/i]) then it's allowed. Just make sure you add in some roleplay about how they got it, the trouble they're in with the law for having it, licenses, etc.

Remember rule number one. Police are -not- your friends.

As for Vaxla, Guy, don't worry. Everyone's characters will start off separate with little exception for the first chapter, and begin their travel in the second.

For another notice, I'm renaming this thread 'Hunter-Net', to be used as a kind of 'personal journal' for the monster updates and our characters experiences on fighting them. I'm hoping this will engender a little more creativity and enthusiasm for the RPG. Ja ne![/color]

[quote name='Talon'][COLOR=crimson]
Second, inwardscream, as to your character having a special car, as long as it was feasible given their financial situation, the technology of the current times, and their access to weapons capable of being mounted on a vehicle (I say this because I have the feeling you're trying to make a [U]Dead Reckoning[/U] like in [I]Land of the Dead[/I]) then it's allowed. Just make sure you add in some roleplay about how they got it, the trouble they're in with the law for having it, licenses, etc.[/COLOR][/quote]

It would be more of a less flashy [U]Ecto-1[/U] scenario than the land roving train that the [U]Dead Reckoning[/U] is. I'll place the description and back story in my sign up.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Huzzah. Well I thought I'd start things off by introducing my obligatory nod to Aliens. That and I include them in my first post, which I was arrogant/and/or/bored enough to already write.

[b]The Crawlers[/b]

Typically bug like, if you can remember the Cloverfield parasites that fell off of the main monster, these are that but bigger. And growing bigger all the time. It takes about three days from hatching from the obviously biggest Hive Mother to achieve full size. But, like bugs, they have a timespan of only about a week. Of course in that time they can viciously maim and eat plenty of humans so it's best to identify hives quickly and kill them during the day when they're drowsy. At night they're hulking monstrosities that move both quickly and quietly.

Beware. They're hungry little buggers. And your face is oh so tasty.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]I'd just like to start by reminding all players who'll be using guns to keep track of your clip size. I get six shots, and then I reload. A P90 can spray bullets, but only fifty at a time.

I mean, I don't think we'll be using Alucard's infinite magazines . . . will we, [COLOR="DarkRed"]Talon[/COLOR]?[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Seven section chain whips...never run out of ammo....

*deranged giggling*

But as for another monster?

[b]Creepers[/b]

No, I am not referencing that appalling B horror movie with those slithering, things. These are what killed my character's sisters to trigger her imbuing. Famous for the way they can slink into people's houses through any cracked surface and then reform into much larger creatures, the Creepers will first eat the eyes of their intended victims and then play with their bodies. Most don't write on the walls with blood, but then again the older they get, the more playful they are.

Most are intelligent enough to avoid detection, but with generally malleable bodies they are hard to catch anyway. They target the very young or the very old and can be killed with cold steel or silver. Sunlight isn't an issue in matters of killing, and bullets would work, if you could get it to hold still long enough.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#E32636][size=1]Time for an original creation.

[b]Piggies:[/b]

These little bastards are some of the worst. They look like normal policemen, upstanding individuals. They even have wives, and families. However, when revealed for what they are, their bodies become massive and grotesque, and their features splay into many multifaceted pig faces, snarling and whimpering and blankly staring. From each of their hands, their fingers each split into tiny hooves, and the same happens with their feet. These are used as effective rending tools, but it makes wielding their batons and munitions difficult at times.

They most often adhere to police stereotypes, and go after mostly innocent people, hiding behind supernatural walls and bending their status and distrustful human natures to their own whims.

If revealed, most Piggies attempt to run, and their greatest weapon is their ability to blend in with society.[/color][/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Can they be lured into traps with Krispey Kremes?

[b]Jumpers[/b]

Pretty much oversized insects that can throw on human skins, they're the humanoid equivalent of the flea. Hard to catch and hard to keep up with but if you can hamstring them they're pretty much useless. Recommend oversized weed whackers or chainsaws.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#E32636][size=1]As long as it's not too obvious - they are [i]somewhat[/i] intelligent.

[b]Weilands[/b]

Humanoid looking at first, these creatures have sunken eyes that are hollow, and gaunt cheeks that display cheekbones that appear to click and move - like some sort of chitineous mandible.

Their arms are riddled with pockmarks, track wounds, torn veins. The works of a heroin addict, and their legs the same. Their bodies are walking messes, and yet they move with frightening speed.

Their hands are probably the worst part - their fingers have been replaced with hypodermic syringes, and their fingernails slope into needlepoints, that carries a deadly venom within.

They, however, are quite frail. They've even killed themselves from time to time upon accidents - moving too fast and hitting something at high speeds.[/color][/size]

[B][SIZE=1]Ghasts

[/SIZE][/B][SIZE=1]Ghasts are horrific creatures, ridiculously resilient and always hungry for human flesh. They can appear perfectly human, walking upright, talking normally and acting as though they are anything but cold-blooded killing machines.

As soon as they are preparing for the hunt, their bone structure changes, allowing them to move from walking upright like a human to bounding along on all fours like a hyena. They can climb walls with their elongated claws, and are incredibly agile. Their mouths also become much wider, their jaws often dislocating much like a snake's, and their fangs are long and sharp.

Ghasts are incredibly difficult to kill - the only sure-fire way to do it is to remove the head and destroy it, or to dismember them completely. Their wounds heal very quickly, although serious injury will take a little longer to recover from. For example, if you break a Ghast's spine, it probably won't be able to do much for a few days, but after that it will hunt you down and rip you to shreds.
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]So what I'm hearing is that Ghasts are the supernatural equivalent of cockroaches.

....Greeeeeeeaaaaat.

In other news open to suggesting character histories with DeLarge and Engel.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]Too lazy to remember the code for my color.

Thom stays mostly around Europe, anywhere from the top to the bottom of Europe though. He's been around the Americas though. He likes it in states more in the New England area of the US.

So if you wanted a character history, which I'm open with, it'd have to be any place in Europe or somewhere in New England area US.[/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]A nice visit to the Colonies eh? I suppose Maine would work nicely, because I'm sure for all my character's issues she loves lobster. And I hear there's nothing like Maine lobster...

As for other characters, I think inwardscream's there too.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Jax has been wandering for twenty years, so I figure he could have been to lots of places he could have bumped into various other characters in his time.

My thought was that he doesn't have a fixed abode, but has safehouse/apartment style dealies in various cities of the world. His uncle left him some cash when he died, so he can afford to essentially be a drifter. An up-market drifter with loads of houses, admittedly, but a drifter nonetheless.

So, yeah, I'm up for some character history, and it would appear I'm easy in terms of location.

And as a side note on the Ghasts, they may be like supernatural cockroaches, but they don't generally travel in numbers - I reckon pairs or threes at the most, but generally they go solo.
[/SIZE]

[color=crimson][b][u]From:[/b][/u] Shield223
[b][u]To:[/b][/u] Sword224
[b][u]Sub:[/b][/u] RE:Burrowers?

[pindent=1]Hey, [i]haints[/i], it's Wolf. Just wanted to let you know I took a look at that building you were telling me about. You were right; there is something new hangin' around, and I doubt those were the last. They looked like people in body bags, only they were...wrapped up and hooked by chains. They use them as weapons, got a nasty new scar on my left forearm. Nothin' I ain't used to. The damn things are fast, though! By the end of it all, there were only two in the building, but it felt like I was gettin' herded around by -fifty-![/pindent]
[pindent=1]Everything's cool, though, [i]haints[/i]. They seem to like my tomahawk a lot. When I called it in desperation, both of them popped out of the dirt and just....stared, I guess. I couldn't see any eyes, but their...'zippers' popped open and showed a wide iron-maiden's worth of spiky teeth. I popped each one a pineapple pill and watched the fireworks after that. Try to get this up on Hotel-November's boards soon, please; I have to go handle that little infestation you're having your albino friend check out for us. [i]Asiyu svayi, haints[/i].[/pindent][/color]

[size=1]Minor note. I have to disagree. Maine lobster will forever be trumped, again and again, by Louisiana crawfish.[/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]ALBINO FRIEND?!

I tells ya I get no respects at all, none! But on the other hand I guess it's better than 'that yellow chick that's really white.' And I had Louisiana crawfish once. Too bad I can't stand spicy food, otherwise it might've been edible for me.

So you're describing in essence body bags that are full of teeth?

///Thanks for clarification. Oh yes, for those who are vaguely interested my character's phone number is [i](473) 384-4647[/i]. See if you can figure out what it actually says.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Oh, my turn:

[SIZE="1"][B]The Swarm[/B]

These nasty insects bear the resemblance to [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triatoma_infestans"][U]South American Kissing Bugs,[/U][/URL] and share the same temperment. They have a liking for human blood, but are especially fond of hunters and other supernaturals' blood.

It starts out with one bug, known as the queen. She burrows into humans while they sleep. During that time, she uses the host as a breeding ground, using human organs for food. This allows for the swarm to take over their host's body and immerse themselves into society. When their host runs out of food and they can no longer sustain the rotten human sack, they go on a rampage, swarming any an all living things they can find.

The downside: They share a collective mind. You can harm then with literally everything, but the attack is only successful if you take out the queen; kill her, kill all of them. Unfortunately, regular members of the swarm revive themselves, as long as the queen is still alive, and they will protect the queen at any costs.[/SIZE]

[size=1][b]Darren:[/b] First thing that came into my head was The Collector by Nine Inch Nails. [i]I am the plague, I am the swarm...[/i]

Hmmm. Wonder when the thread is going up. Any word, Talon?[/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]User:[/B]Archangel298
[B]Password:[/B]********

[I]Access to Hunters Network approved. Welcome, Archangel298[/I]

[I]Information >> The Hunted >> New Entry[/I]

Subject: New encounter. Codename: [B]"Wraiths"[/B]

Recent investigation of an abandoned apartment has led to an encounter with a new "freak". Identified by a mostly humanoid shape with both arms crossed and fused into their hips. The faces are blank masks of bone white, and the remaining skin is fairly pale. They are extremely flexible, and move with exceptional grace. Direct attacks are swift, however seem to be driven mostly from defensive instinct, and are thus rare. Of particular note is their ability to fade into surrounding material to escape. Maximum time of two minutes was noted during the encounter, though further study is needed to confirm.

Victims were located at the scene, and their recent deaths indicate they were likely the Wraiths' victims. No physical bodily damage was noted, however expression of extreme terror covered their faces. It is possible they were literally scared to death by the Wraiths. Perhaps a feeding off of emotions.

Physically the Wraiths are not much harder to kill than a normal human, although they seem to heal partially when fused into other matter. A viscous black fluid was spotted bleeding from their wounds. Chest shots are ineffective, most likely no heart there, however head shots can kill them in the same manner as a normal person.

Further details pending further encounters.

--Archangel298

[I]Logout Confirmed.[/I]

OOC: Heh, felt like doing a computer style entry. Either way, just to clear up Wraiths are fast but fragile. If it can kill a human it will likely kill them. Fusing with matter is limited in duration, but does heal them slightly. They feed off of human fear, and possibly other emotions, which leaves feeding material for follow-up freaks.

*Wants Crawfish now. Thanks Talon.*[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Engel'][size=1][b]Darren:[/b] First thing that came into my head was The Collector by Nine Inch Nails. [i]I am the plague, I am the swarm...[/i]

Hmmm. Wonder when the thread is going up. Any word, Talon?[/size][/QUOTE]
Hmm. I don't listen to NIN, but I was thinking of a plague type of thing. I was even tempted to describe them as locusts, but decided on a less common, blood drinking insect. And the thread is up now.

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Hell Hounds

They walk among people looking like regular pets to the naked eye. Quick and lethal they usually hunt in pack of up to 5, easy enough to kill on their own its more difficult when they established as a pack and get an alpha, once that happens its harder due to the fact that with the alpha you never see her till its time to kill, the pack distracts the target till the alpha gets in a good shot and that's when she shows her self and goes in for the killl and by the time you do see her its to late, your on the table.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Knuckles' Girl][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Hell Hounds[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]How convenient. :D

[B][U]Gwyllgi[/U][/B]

Stronger and faster than their Hell Hound descendants, these razor-tailed beasts almost exclusively make their dens miles from civilization unless they happen to be controlled by another powerful, sentient freak. Pack mentality is strong, and like the Hell Hounds, the gwyllgi alpha is female and usually has from two to four beta males attending her, depending on the size of the pack.

The teeth of a gwyllgi are razor sharp, and their powerful jaws can shatter wood and dent iron. They are superb trackers and can maintain a scent through running water if it is fresh enough. Shooting them requires high dexterity and precision, for the beasts are freakishly nimble and often dart in to strike after dodging fire; melee combat is recommended, though no less dangerous.

[U]Note:[/U] Hell Hounds were most likely spawned from a chance breeding between a gwyllgi male and a domesticated female dog.[/FONT]