Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][URL="http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=1173188"]Topic Of Interest[/URL]

So it turns out that the word "fish" makes people think of a slimy, slippery, icky and not fubsy creature that you don't mind eating because it's ugly. PETA has decided that replacing "fish" with "sea kitten" makes the idea of eating fish and other sea creatures less palatable and morally ...good? I have no real idea what makes people think this way when you consider that a: there is no way you are going to tell me a pike is as cute as a kitten. And b: why would you name an animal commonly eaten by a kitten after the thing that eats ....it...

Anyway your thoughts?

Points for people who can think of appropriately funny captions for various pictures of fish. Also, just in case you missed it, Cooking Mama is also evil to PETA. That evil woman just is such a murderer...[/FONT][/COLOR]
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
Changing the name isn't likely to change anything really. o_O The problem with appealing on the 'it's cruel and torture' line is that eating another animal isn't going to be nice. So trying to use the guilt trip method only has me looking at them like they need help.
Posted
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]I don't really know how to feel anymore. I'm just kind of disturbed how Peta is trying to appeal to kids with this and their flash games. I played a few of them and thought about doing a moch review over at the Arcade, but I just got lazy. I do think cracking a blood filled egg in a cooking Mama knock-off was extremely overboard.

edit: I kind of want some points. [IMG]http://themcode.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tigerdm2805_468x680.jpg[/IMG]
[CENTER]Cute now, but when they grow up...[/CENTER]
[/COLOR][/FONT]
Posted
[quote name=' A PETA Dingus'] Knowing that the fishsticks in the school cafeteria are really made out of tortured sea kittens makes most kids want to lose their lunch.[/quote]

Umm...no, I'm just fine with that, thanks. Seriously, SEA KITTENS?! Sounds like these PETA people are smoking something REALLY screwy...:animedepr

Even if the term was legalized, I wouldn't care at all. It's fish. FISH. YUMMY. Honestly, do these people really think that changing fish to sea kitten will make anyone feel any grief? Chances are, most of us would laugh and keep eating the fishsticks.
Posted
[quote name='chibi-master']Umm...no, I'm just fine with that, thanks. Seriously, SEA KITTENS?! Sounds like these PETA people are smoking something REALLY screwy...:animedepr
[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Garamond"]
Yes... sounds like...

I don't care what delicious name PETA slaps on, I'm not gonna eat their damn fish. Disgusting water-dwelling flesh mounds. Way to evolve a proper skeletal system, fish... not![/FONT][/COLOR]
Posted
I'm sure there is at least one PETA supporter here, but in my opinion they needed shut down years ago.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a group that makes sure animals aren't treated overly cruel, but that's not what they're about. They are just a cult in their own right, a cult that preaches [I]equality[/I] for animals.....honestly?

[IMG]http://pqliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/funnyfaces6001.jpg[/IMG]

[CENTER]"Peta's World"[/CENTER]

[B]Edit:[/B] Yes in peta's world dogs do everything...including cheating at cards
Posted
[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I'm sure there is at least one PETA supporter here, but in my opinion they needed shut down years ago.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a group that makes sure animals aren't treated overly cruel, but that's not what they're about. [/QUOTE]

Well I wouldn't paint the entire group with the same brush. Though whoever thought this idea up obviously hasn't thought this through. It actually does damage to PETA which in turn reduces their capacity to do good for animal welfare. Unless its some satirical joke campaign. Even then, they should know better, and that people would much rather not get it, take them seriously and make fun of them.

It's a shame, I thought PETA used to do quite a lot for animals. Now they're just the butt of jokes.
Posted
[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]I've said this before over on [B]theO[/B], but this would only make me want to fish more just to rub it in their faces.

Seriously. [B]Sea Kittens[/B]? There are [I]Catfish[/I], and [I]Dogfish[/I] if I'm not mistaken. Doesn't slow anyone down I don't think when it comes to eating them. Plus fish is one of the healthiest things to eat. Why would they want us to stop ourselves from, [I]*gasp*[/I], being healthy? The horror.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Posted
But you don't understand! Everyone on Earth should be a vegan, all milk should be soy, and we should get all of our proteins from peanuts and sunflower seeds! Nevermind the natural order! Eating fish is [i]mean[/i].



By the way, I was being totally facetious.

Look, there are some fish out there that are getting overfished into "endangered" territory, and I agree that we should all ease up on the anchovies and certain kinds of tuna. And if you're a vegan or vegetarian, all the power to you. However, I'm not going to deny my natural instinct to eat meats and fishes (especially considering their health benefits) just because killing animals for the purpose of ingestion is less than kind.

Furthermore, "sea kittens"? [i]Really?[/i]
Posted
[font=garamond][color=darkgreen]Has anyone heard of Orange Roughies? Also known as deep sea perch. They're a type of fish that dwells on the seafloor around the western pacific. They have a really long lifespan, a really long lifespan, and don't breed until they are 20 or 30. Which is just fine, except when we fish them, we trawl for them - taking the eggs with the adults, which is extremely destructive as you can imagine.

But anyway. Why I am I telling you this? This is the thing that really got me when I heard it - I thought, why must we eat THESE fish, if they're so delicate and hard to get. (And damn ugly, in a very non-kitten kind of way.) Well, they are in really high demand commercially BECAUSE THEY DON'T TASTE LIKE FISH. They are fish for people who don't really like fish! Like the fish in your fishfingers, which is only mildly fishy - that's probably orange roughy. How awful is that!

Anyway... yeah the fishing industry is a complete nightmare, we really had no idea what we were doing when we started the whole thing, and have gone way past the point of ever restoring it to what it once was. It's not just a case of "endangered fish" so much - more like entire oceanic ecosystems collapsing on a monthly basis. So I do understand why PETA may be getting rather desperate to do something... but this... sounds, well, desperate to me. It will be interesting to see if it has any effect.[/font][/color]
Posted
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]There are plenty of respectable and sane organizations out there that promote awareness and responsible fishing practices without stooping to indoctrinating kids by teaching them that Cooking Mama is the spawn of the devil.

I know our family has stopped eating orange roughy after learning about it through the Monterey Bay Aquarium's promotions of good fish farming practices. On the other hand, I don't eat fish so all this bollocks about 'evil fish' doesn't really bother me in the least. It's times like these that I thank my allergies for giving me the excuse to be morally superior to all of you fish eating bottom dwellers. But on the other hand, I'm running out of hands, I know the fish sticks we get are made of tuna. Most of the shopping areas around us have stocking fish sticks made with orange roughy, so your rant probably only applies to jerks who don't care. And since in California everyone cares, everything here is a OK.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Posted
[size=1]"So long and thanks for all the [i]sea kittens[/i]?"

Doesn't have the same ring to it. PETA fails once again.

-Shy[/size]
Posted
[FONT=Arial]I Spy, with my little eye, something that says [I]"GROW A DAMNED BRAIN"[/I].

I would like to tell you there are no stupid people. I would like to, but I can't.[/FONT]
Posted
For everyone saying things about Catfish and Dogfish, wouldn't they be called Cat-sea-kittens and Dog-sea-kittens? And besides, if we changed fish to sea kittens, it would throw first graders taking spelling tests into a tizzy!:o
Posted
[SIZE="1"]*Attempted a post explaining the new level of absurdness PETA has reached but failed miserably due to bloodloss from headdesking*[/SIZE]
Posted
[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]*Attempted a post explaining the new level of absurdness PETA has reached but failed miserably due to bloodloss from headdesking*[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[size=1]*laughing uncontrollably*

Really, PETA. [i]Really?[/i][/size]
Posted
[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]*Attempted a post explaining the new level of absurdness PETA has reached but failed miserably due to bloodloss from headdesking*[/SIZE][/quote]

One of the funniest mods has struck again. Thanks for the laugh, Gavin. Now I need a new pair of underwear... agiain. PETA did it the first time. I mean, [I][B]sea kittens?![/B][/I] C'mon, people, use your damned brains!!!!! Then again, I don't think PETA ever really had any...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...