OtakuBoards

What's Your Favourite Video Game Music?

Sir Bouf

After playing video games for eight years, I've come across games that have a amazing soundtrack. These two games, Tales of Legendia and Final Fantasy 8 are tied for first place in my favorite soundtracks, with Chrono Trigger and the Castlevania series being honorable mentions.

So, what is your favorite video game music?

Man, there's a lot of good video game music out there. But, for the sake of conciseness, I'll just list one, technically two to three (and people who know me probably know what I'm about to say).
The [b].hack[/b] series. This includes the soundtrack from the first four games, [b]IMOQ[/b], and the [b]G.U.[/b] trilogy.

First, let's touch on [b]IMOQ[/b]. The soundtrack was composed by BooHooWoo, a pseudonym referring to Chikayo Fukuda, Seizo Nakata, and Norikatsu Fukuda. Any vocals were performed by Tomoyo Mitani. The OST was released on two discs under a Perfect Collection; later a Best of would be released in America that contained select tracks on one disc. [I, coincidentally, own both versions. Guess which one I bought first?]
My opinion on the music itself: It's hard to simply sum up what this OST is in a few words, so I'll go over some points instead. One thing that's pretty cool is that, in dungeons and fields, when you come across a monster the BGM simply segues into a more action-like tone, rather than changing completely (and of course goes back once the monsters are dealt with). On top of that, I [u]love[/u] any of the music that deals with Mitani's vocals. That includes things like [I]Aura's Theme[/I] and [I]Macha's Appearance[/I]. There's also one particular track which was, sadly, not included by itself on any of the OSTs. The closest we have is this: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDS3O2EotJs][b][link][/b][/url]

Moving on to [b]G.U.[/b] now! This time around, Chikayo Fukuda from BooHooWoo went off and composed the entire soundtrack on her own. Once again, Tomoyo Mitani provided vocals, even churning out some nice credits songs. The music from [b]G.U.[/b] was released in two OSTs, four discs in all. The first one covered the music from the first game, Rebirth, and the second included the rest from Reminisce and Redemption. None of these has had a NA release.
Opinion on music: It's definitely different from the first games' sound, and appropriately so. While [b]IMOQ[/b]'s score reflected that more typical fantasy setting, [b]G.U.[/b] goes off into a steam punk type place. So, the music does reflect that, with plenty of electric guitars screeching in various tracks. Some of those... ehhh, I don't like as much. However, a lot of the other stuff, the piano scores, the Avatar fight music, and the credits' themes, are pretty damn cool and worth some fan adoration. Really, some of the best stuff comes from the Lost Grounds. Here is [i]Arche Koeln[/i]: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH7vVzFeSjE][b][link][/b][/url]. Also, one more, a character theme for Endrance: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Dh1iFy1F8][b][link][/b][/url].

In conclusion, what all these soundtracks have in common is they fit their games' setting (as they darn well better) and they're plain fun to listen to. And I'm totally not a .hack fantard, nope.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Huh, could of sworn there was a thread for this. But of all the "favorite XXXX" threads, we've stumbled upon one we haven't covered. Good stuff.

Anyways, more on topic, I've always loved the music from [b]The Legend of Zelda[/b] series. [B]Link to the Past[/B] has some of my most memorable tracks from it, but I also enjoyed the music on [B]Ocarina of Time[/B]. My favorite track was probably the little bit they played for the theme to go to the fire Dungeon on Goron Mountain.

I also like the originial soundtrack from [B]Street Fighter II[/B]. Although the music has been remastered (quite well I might add), the original CPS I tracks are timeless and are the kind of music I grew up on. My favorite stage themes are Guile's, Vega's, and Bison's. My friends and I contend that Guile's theme should be the American National Anthem.

[B]Guilty Gear XX [/B]has some of the best tracks I've heard in any game out of all the games I've played. I actually own the OST for GGXX and my favorite tracks are [I]Awe of She, Holy Order? (Robo Ky's theme), Keep Yourself Alive, and Holy Order (Ky's theme)[/I].[/FONT]

[color=deeppink]Chrono Cross. It takes the the already stellar soundtrack from Chrono Trigger and makes it sound oh so much better.

I just wish that they would have given the same treatment to Frog's Theme as they did to all those others.[/color]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][B]Guilty Gear XX [/B]has some of the best tracks I've heard in any game out of all the games I've played. I actually own the OST for GGXX and my favorite tracks are [I]Awe of She, Holy Order? (Robo Ky's theme), Keep Yourself Alive, and Holy Order (Ky's theme)[/I].[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Agreed but i also thought the overture ost was very good and ky's theme sounded godly o.o. My favourite tracks from the GG series has to be:
Holy Orders III
Writher In Pain
Good Manners and Customes
The Man
Awe Of She (all versions :))
~and many more

Oh, i also wanted to add to my list is soul calibur ^^

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]Chrono Cross. It takes the the already stellar soundtrack from Chrono Trigger and makes it sound oh so much better.

I just wish that they would have given the same treatment to Frog's Theme as they did to all those others.[/color][/QUOTE]

You know what sucks, I had Chrono Cross for the PS1, both disks, never beat it, then sold it! And the worse thing is now I can't find it anywere because its "rare" But I do agree with you Nerdsy that Chrono Cross had some kickin tracks.

[COLOR="maroon"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Century Gothic"]To tell you the truth, I prefer the castlevania and guilty gear soundtracks....but a good honorable mention is the soundtrack for the Tales of series.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]

Anyways, more on topic, I've always loved the music from [b]The Legend of Zelda[/b] series. [B]Link to the Past[/B] has some of my most memorable tracks from it, but I also enjoyed the music on [B]Ocarina of Time[/B]. My favorite track was probably the little bit they played for the theme to go to the fire Dungeon on Goron Mountain..[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Navy"]Agreed. Whole-heartedly. [B]Ocarina of Time[/B] and [B]Majora's Mask[/B] have my personal favorites (mostly because the other Zelda games I've played have all been on the Game Boy). The ability of Ocarina of Time to turn simple, eight note melodies into really memorable tracks is, in my opinion, pretty remarkable.

[B]Final Fantasy X[/B] is another of my all time favorites. I've even got a few tracks off of the soundtrack, which is four discs long in its entirety. As far as I know, it's also the only FF game to have a straight up metal track. You know the one I mean.

As weird as it seems, I also dig the [B]Half-Life 2[/B] music. It's mostly just ambient, electric-sounding stuff... but it has a certain appeal.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
I also like the originial soundtrack from [B]Street Fighter II[/B]. Although the music has been remastered (quite well I might add), the original CPS I tracks are timeless and are the kind of music I grew up on. My favorite stage themes are Guile's, Vega's, and Bison's. My friends and I contend that Guile's theme should be the American National Anthem.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
I'm more of a fan of Ryu and Guile theme fan than the others. I can't even remember everyone elses theme too much. And the only reason I think I remember Ryu and Guile's theme so well is because those were the stages me and my brother normally chose to fight. ("Remembers all the sonic booms and hadokens")

The only soundtrack that I can actually remember me being a fan of is [b]Tales of the Abyss[/b], and that's because I just downloaded a bunch of songs from the soundtrack yesterday. Nowdays, almost anything that sounds like it's been done by an orchestra (and intense) could catch my ear and Tales of the Abyss has quite a few of those. Does the other Tales games sound like TotA?

Another thing about most of the music in games is that, the only time I'd actually catch it is if I'm just running/walking from point A to point B. If I'm in the middle of a fight I will not catch the theme at all because I'm usually so focused on the fight trying not to die, especially in boss battles. (Only in RPGs lol)

Anyway, I don't know too many names at all. However, I do know a few. [b]Sanctuary[/b] from [i]Kingdom Hearts 2[/i] was pretty catchy as well as the [b]Hollow (Hallow?) Bastion[/b] theme.

[i]Final Fantasy 8[/i] had one theme that stuck out in my head that I can't remember the name at the moment. It plays during the Dollet mission. (SEED/Field exam)

[i]Halo's[/i] theme (the main theme) is another one that I've listened to quite a few times as well. If only I could make it to my ringer.....

For me the memorable soundtracks were the [B]Metroid Prime[/B] Series on GCn and Wii as well as [B]Persona[/B] 3 and 4 on PS2. Particularly the 2 Openings (Burn my Dread and Pursuing My True Self) and 2 endings (Kimi no Kioku and Never More). Honorable mentions definitely go to [B]Chrono Trigge[/B]r (even got a few tracks as my mobile ringtone) and[B] Ocarina of Time[/B].

• 2 months later...
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]For me it's generally never an entire soundtrack with the notable exception of [B]Legacy of Kain[/B], and as stated before [B]Guilty Gear[/B], also [B]Persona 3[/B].

Mostly, I tend to like the giant orchestrated pieces that accompany a boss or other suitable events. As well, I'm a sucker for re-imaginations of classic songs. The [B]Bionic Commando[/B] theme anyone?

Other games that had pretty nifty pieces was [B]The Witcher[/B], and most definitely both [B]Neverwinter Nights[/B]. But then again; most medieval fantasy games generally have great soundtracks. [B]Baldur's Gate II[/B], hm?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][B]Tetris:[/B] I'm not sure it's even possible to make a poor cover of Korobeiniki. From ukulele to air guitar this song is a favorite.

[B]Final Fantasy:[/B] To be even more broad pretty much anything composed by Nobuo Uematsu is an instant classic. Final Fantasy VII being my favorite.

[B]Kirby (Green Greens): [/B]Makes for a very fun soundtrack to kick anyone's *** to in Super Smash Bros: Melee, and the remixes across other Nintendo games are always fun.

[B]The Legend of Zelda:[/B] Again, just classic.

[B]Dance Dance Revolution:[/B] I mean come on, the game is all about the music. From the upbeat to the trance, DDR has it all.
[/font]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
"Slaps forehead" How could I forget about MGS3 when I have a few songs on my mp3 player. (Mainly Ocelot's theme.) I like majority of the music in the MGS series though. (I also have Fortune's theme on my mp3 player.)

I also forgot that I liked the music in Shenmue. (Can't remember the music in Shenmue 2 though.)

[B]The legend of zelda Ocarina of time:[/B] I'll never forget the time I played this game. Everything about it was PURE win!:animecry: The gameplay, the story, the music....all of it was great! and it all fit together perfectly.

[B]Final Fantasy XIII:[/B] Even though the OST's haven't been released yet, my favorite song so far has been the Battle theme. I'll definetly be looking forward to listening the full release of this soundtrack.

[size=1]Apart from the overly popular [b]Street Fighter[/b] and [b]Chrono[/b] music, I thought the [b]Golden Sun[/b] soundtrack was really epic. I would often enough start the game up and listen to the start menu song for 5 times straight before actually playing the game. :V

And well, the best soundtrack ever is clearly the soundtrack of [b]DOOM I & II[/b]. It's completely kick-behind from beginning to end and constantly has you captured in the game while having infinite awesome guitar riffs. Whoo![/size]