OtakuBoards

Horoscopes yo!!! Do you read them?

xxxscenekidxxx

i read mine every day... someone told me that the only reason they came true was becouse they are so broad that they have to come true in some way

i still read them tho and i do whatever they tell me to...

do any of y'all read them?

what about fortine cookies and palm readings?

I read them, but I try to avoid the ones in things like magazines and newspapers. I actually, if I'm honest, prefer to do it myself. It's more accurate. Most of the magazine horoscopes are full of generic crap that can apply to anyone anyway.

[quote name='Axel Alloy']I read them, but I try to avoid the ones in things like magazines and newspapers. I actually, if I'm honest, prefer to do it myself. It's more accurate. Most of the magazine horoscopes are full of generic crap that can apply to anyone anyway.[/QUOTE]
how do you do it yourself? if you dont mind me asking...

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']I'm always amused by horoscopes. I like to check them every now and then, whenever I'm feeling down or bored.[/color][/quote]I do that too. They just make you laugh since they're always so silly.

I certainly don't take them serious or actually do what they tell you to do. They're just fun for a laugh every now and then. As for the other kind of stuff, I never bother with it. [/FONT]

[quote name='xxxscenekidxxx']how do you do it yourself? if you dont mind me asking...[/quote]

You study charts and the movement of stars and planets.

( This link may be of some help: [url]http://www.horoscoper.net/yourhoroscope.htm[/url] )

[size=1]I once read some comedy horoscopes in a newspaper. Funny stuff, because the disclaimer was in tiny writing so I bet most people believed it.

The only accurate horoscope I had in a 'paper was one regarding my girlfriend moving. Saying that all our spare time would be taken up by household tasks... the only difference was it was her place and not mine, lol. But I was quite surprised and I even showed it to my girlfriend who just shook her head at me.[/size]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"][QUOTE=Botar15]Tis be a lot of hoop-la.

So is the 25 character limit.[/QUOTE]The character limit is better than a horoscope. If you don't have them, you can't post, it [I]always[/I] comes true... :blulaugh:

Anyway, no I don't read them, unless I'm bored or want something to laugh at. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]There was a brilliant TV show over here a while back called "Dave Gorman's Important Astrology Experiment" in which Dave Gorman, a comedian and performer of wacky challenges (his friend Danny Wallace wrote the book that the Jim Carrey movie "Yes Man" was based on), lived by his horoscope for 40 days and tried to find out whether it made him happier or less happy than if he'd ignored them. It was really very funny, and you can find it on YouTube, but I'm not going to post a link because I'm not sure if it violates copyright rules. But type it into YouTube and you'll find it - I recommend you all check it out.

As for myself, I read them on occasion when there's a trashy tabloid hanging about (which doesn't happen all that often in my house), just for a laugh. They're usually slightly better than the last fortune cookie I got, which simply read "You are confident and interesting at parties." Thanks for that, fortune cookie.
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Once again, tis be a lot of hoop-la. I'm agnostic, so I don't really care about religion or destiny, so thats that, but fortune cookies have an uncanny ability to be right alot, hmmmmm.[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
I read them when I'm feeling incredibly bored... I guess I'm just not a believer in that sort of thing. Sometimes the horoscopes are funny though... apparently, for three months, the Cancer person would lead an average and boring life. Horoscope writers never specify very much, since the stuff they say never specifies to EVERYONE of the starsign :)

[quote name='DeLarge'][SIZE=1]They're usually slightly better than the last fortune cookie I got, which simply read "You are confident and interesting at parties." Thanks for that, fortune cookie.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
You forgot to add "in bed."

I don't put much faith in horoscopes. Like most here, it's just for comic value.

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I actually read my horoscope for the first time in two weeks. It said that someone much younger than me was going to tell me about an adventure of theirs and that my listening would validate the experiance.

Sure enough when I got home from work my daughter (who is twenty-three years and two months younger than me) told me about going to McDonalds and I listened.[/color][/font][/size]

• 1 year later...
Whenever I read the newspaper, I usually read those things just to give my reading experience a sense of completeness (I even read some of the business section, as well). I see them more as [i]suggesting[/i] how you should carry on your day, or perhaps hoping to influence how things will be. As far as horoscopes being prophetic, they're not very, if at all, credible. However, even though I read them mainly out of habit, they entertain me far more than the actual entertainment section in any given newspaper. I'd much rather read a horoscope than read about the latest celebrity arrest - again.

Stuff like daily/weekly/monthly horoscopes have always just been completely wrong for me.

But when you look up your "personality" based on the day and exact time/location you were born, sometimes the report can be very similar to your real personality. I've also had some people do it and disagree, but a lot are kind of freaked out by what the report says. I kinda was when I read mine. Then again I know a large part of it is just [ok I sat here for 5 minutes trying to recall the term for this that I learned in a psychology class, but ofc my brain dumps everything after the final and I can't remember it] us searching for things in the horoscope that will match us. I remember there was a study done by some guy, and he gave people the wrong horoscopes but they thought it described them very well.

IMO it's nothing to take seriously, just something that can be entertaining. While I don't believe in or follow what horoscopes say, I think it's an interesting field, if only because I've always been into mythology and w/e haha (is mythology even that related idk)

You have to register for it, but if anyone is bored/interested in inputting their birthdate/time of birth/location, I'd say your report is just fun to read: http://www.astro.com/cgi/aclch.cgi?btyp=ack&

Also, I have this "relationships" book based on the day you were born. Basically it has been right about ALL of my relationships, including friendships/parents/siblings/etc. Like... yeah, that was weird too. It described my relationship with my sister and all my friends perfectly.

I just looked it up, it's The Secret Language of Relationships by Gary Goldschneider. Edited by eleanor

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I'm definitely guilty of having looked at horoscopes before, even though I know that they are absolute rubbish. I think the tendency to look at horoscopes is a bit like that natural tendency where you miss the bus or the train and say "Why me?", even though, of course, train and bus schedules aren't designed around your personal comings and goings. It's just human nature to some degree - we relate everything to ourselves, whether or not there is any relationship at all.[/font]