OtakuBoards

What games should I buy for the 360?

Jabberwocky

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]This summer for my birthday I plan on getting an Xbox 360 so I can finally play my favorite kind of games (RPG's) again. However, I'm not entirely sure of which games I wish to buy, but I do know some games I really want.

Gears of War
Bioshock
The Last Remnant
The New Star Ocean Game

Those are the 4 I definitely want. But I'd love it if you guy's could give me suggestions on good RPG's. Also, I'd like to know of any other fantasy/sci-fi games I should get. So I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for all your help with this in advance![/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Well, I wouldn't limit my scope to RPGs on the XBOX, seeing as those are pretty scarce on that system. But [B]Blue Dragon[/B] is a wonderful RPG that is very reminiscent to Dragon Warrior in terms of gameplay and is about 80 hours in length.

Other good games for the 360 include the [B]Call of Duty series[/B], [B]Street Fighter IV[/B],[B] Halo [/B](shudder), and even some downloadable games. I don't know if your 360 is internet capable, but if it is, download [B]Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix[/B], [B]Geometry Wars[/B], and [B]Lumines Live[/B].

I'm sure you'll enjoy all of those titles.[/FONT]

In terms of RPGs I've found quite a number of them since they are also my favourite type of game (specifically JRPG) so here's a few of my recommendations.

[B]Lost Odyssey[/B] probably the best JRPG I've played recently with an interesting stoyline, great characters, good gameplay mechanics (not just in battles but for learning skills as well), and even visual novel elements. Over 4 discs it has some of the most magnificent cutscenes I've seen to date.

[B]Eternal Sonata[/B] is considered somewhat of a Kiddy JRPG because of the style of graphics but it's actually a lot better than it seems. Once you get past the mix of good and bad voice acting it's quite enjoyable. And the battle system is a twist on the real time battle systems used in games like Star Ocean.

[B]Infinite Undiscovery[/B]: I haven't had much chance to play this game yet. The story is a little bland however I think the gameplay mechanics are a lot better than [B]The Last Remnant[/B], at least from my short play. If square had wanted to truly make a great game they'd have taken the gameplay mechanics from this and the story from [B]Last Remnant[/B].

[B]Tales of Vesperia[/B]: I'm still waiting on a release of this myself however from what I've seen it's been rated as highly as [B]Tales of the Abyss[/B] on PS2 and that was definitely a great game.

I'd also second Korey's suggestion of [B]Blue Dragon[/B]. This is basically all the RPGs I can think of apart from the 2 you're already planning on getting (I'm still yet to play bioshock myself). If I can think of any others that I've missed/own I'll post again.

I have a few RPG games to suggest if your gonna buy them. You should get [B]Fallout 3[/B] for the 360 because its an RPG which is cool and you can get over 100 hours of gameplay into it so this game should keep you going for a while. If you want sci fi, I got two things I could think of, one of them is [B]Mass Effect[/B] and the other is [B]Dead Space[/B]. I played these two games and their really good to play if you haven't already.

If you played Resident Evil 4 before and like it, get [B]Resident Evil 5[/B] because this game is a must buy. Things from RE4 are back and I can't think on what I should say about it. So this is one of the game that is worth it.

Get [B]Modern Warfare 2[/B] because that one coming soon and that game is gonna be awesome.

halo,1,2,3, god no not wars and on september 9th halo:3 O.D.S.T. Because these are the top games played on the 360 and there is always something to do in the new playlists and game variants...

Hello silpheed long time no see.

I'd really recommend your first RPG for the 360 being [B]Enchanted Arms[/B]. It's an underdog for sure, but it was the first rpg out for the 360 and it was pretty good.

[B]Lost Odyseey[/B] was mentioned but I feel it deserves multiple, and as far as [B]Last remnant[/B] goes it's good but gets monotonous.

If you're going to be playing online the [B]Call of Duty[/B] series is a blast.

I play Halo 3 frequently with a friend of mine. It's ok if you're playing it with friends, but I've always found it mind-numbing to play by yourself online, and even worse in singleplayer. Also, their matchmaking system infuriates me. I prefer CoD4 by a long shot.

[FONT=Arial]I'll third the [B]Mass Effect[/B] mention just because I think the concept of a third-person shooter RPG is what the RPG genre has needed for a long time. And I wasn't aware of any before this one. Plus it's got a similar engine to KOTOR (made by the same people so kinds obvious there) and a fairly good squad system.

You said [B]GoW1[/B], and you should also grab the sequel. Gameplay in 2 is smoother, graphics are smoother, stuff is overall smoother, and your AI allies may rezz you if your partner isn't around during coop. (Which is really the strongest point of the game, imo.)

I'm also going to recommend a completely ludicrous game just because it's so bad it's amazingly fun. [B]Earth Defense Force 2017[/B] is a terribly cliche alien-shooter with Japanese propaganda (inorite?) filtered through it. Basically the point of the game is to pour bullets and explody things into all the monstrously oversized enemies on the map without dying. The AI are decent; they have their moments of awesomeness and then they just suck on the downswing, but their comments to each other are hilarious.

"I need ammo!" "Get it yourself!"

The most fun part of the game, though, is the sheer volume of ridiculous, completely impractical weapons you get. Assault rifles that shoot 60 rounds a second, grenade launchers that fire a spread of grenades, shotguns that fire 6 rounds a second, rockets as slow as the grandma in the left lane that do ungodly amounts of damage if they hit their target ever, acid sprayers, flamethrowers, missile launchers that fire twenty shots at once, all homing on the same target (it's hilarious to see a giant ant killed by seven of the missiles and then its body getting chased around the sky as the rest of them continue to home and detonate one after the other), so on and so on.

Also if you shoot the giant robots with giant cannon arms, they will shoot gansta at you. My friends and I spent at least 80% of the time we played EDF laughing ourselves to death. I suggest getting just to have a silly time playing a crappy game.

Kind of like watching MST3K.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]I've been playing [b]Eternal Sonata[/b] a bit lately. I really rather like it, it's gorgeous to look at. It's also got a pretty good battle system.

[b]Tales of Vesperia[/b] is also beautiful for the eyes -- it makes you feel like you're right inside an anime. The Tales series has always been good, so I'd check it out.

I also heartily suggest [B]The Orange Box[/B], which contains [B]Half-Life 2[/B] and its two current sequels, [B]Portal[/B], a gaiden game to Half-Life, and [B]Team Fortress 2[/B]. I'll break the games down:

[b]Half-Life 2[/b]: You do not have to play the first Half-Life to enjoy HL2, and I even suggest it if you're not into first-person shooters [because I definitely am not, and I've become rather fond of the game]. Warning for violence -- even though it was released in 2004 and there's worse violence out now, it still makes me queasy [then again, realistic gore always does]. I've not played HL2 eps 1 or 2 since I've not beaten the original yet.

Not played [b]Team Fortress 2[/b] since I do not have a hard drive/X-box Live, but I've heard lots of praise for it.

And...[b]Portal[/b], which is probably the best game ever. No, seriously. It's a first-person puzzle game, which sounds strange, but it's really fun and addicting. The story isn't IN YOUR FACE, but oh goodness, it's there if you're tuned into it, and you'll spend a loooooooooot of time speculating/theorizing it. The game is, in the words of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, [i]sublime[/i]. The only complaint I've ever seen is that it's too short [which, it is. If you sit down and play it non stop, you could easily beat it in an afternoon].

And GLaDOS is probably the best character[spoiler]/antagonist[/spoiler] in a video game ever, so that's a plus.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure I have enough to put on my plate for now. But keep the suggestions coming! After all, the more the merrier. Now, if you guys could be gracious and kind, would anyone mind suggesting some platform games? I'm a sucker for these games sometimes.[/FONT]

• 1 month later...
Check out Target and GameStop for the majority of these games, they are definitely cheap right now.

Also, as far as games, Halo 3, Prince of Persia (very pretty graphics) and CoD4 would be my recommendations. Also, you definitely need XB live to truly take advantage of the wonderful world that is a 360.

• 4 months later...
Since nobody else opted to suggest it but managed to suggest anything else I would have, I'd say Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, if your big on comic books and the like its one I'd suggest giving a shot. A lot better than the first one both in story and graphics. Team choices give you a lot of different attacks to use and there's two different sides to the story.

• 2 weeks later...
Star Ocean 4 was amazing. I find that the battle engine is similar to, but a million times better than Tales of Vesperia. I started playing Vesperia, but I just can't get into it as much as I did Star Ocean 4.

It's made by Squaresoft, which as you probably know is the company that brought you Final Fantasy among other things. It's a prequel, so you wont be missing anything from the other games.