Raiha Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 [FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]So after hearing this phrase literally EVERYWHERE it's occurred to me that I have no idea what the term 'rickrolling' means. So if any of you would care to give me your definition that'd be super. And have you ever been rickrolled in a manner that actually resulted in you using that word in particular? Ways I've heard it used so far: "So Nancy Pelosi totally rickrolled us here on the internet, the stupid...[etc.]" "Dude, Pikachu hella rickrolled Charizard" [/COLOR][/FONT]
Rachmaninoff Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 I always associated the term with someone linking you to this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI"][U]RickRoll[/U][/URL] instead of what they claimed they were giving you. And that's the harmless version, instead of the one that messes up your browser btw.
Korey Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'm assuming you want the weeaboo colloquial defention too? From what I can ascertain, it means practically the same thing as "pwn". Used as a verb or something. Although I'm pretty sure if there came along the Rick Astley brand of steamrollers, we'd actually get "Rick Rollers." [/FONT]:animesmil
Haku877 Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 [quote name='Rachmaninoff']I always associated the term with someone linking you to this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI"][U]RickRoll[/U][/URL] instead of what they claimed they were giving you. And that's the harmless version, instead of the one that messes up your browser btw.[/QUOTE] Thats is exactly it. It's what happens when you're looking for something (Pic, video, etc.) and the song above (Maybe with video) is played as a prank. So if you are a little confused still, theres a site about it, it explains everything and gives example. Check it out. [B][url]http://smouch.net/lol/[/url][/B]
Mr. Maul Posted May 27, 2009 Posted May 27, 2009 [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]High five to [B]John[/B], but with a completely straight face. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Gavin Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 [quote name='Rachmaninoff']I always associated the term with someone linking you to this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI"][U]RickRoll[/U][/URL] instead of what they claimed they were giving you. And that's the harmless version, instead of the one that messes up your browser btw.[/QUOTE] [SIZE="1"]This.[/SIZE]
Chaos Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 My God... I'd always heard the stories, but...I never really believed them. I just can't believe people actually [b]use[/b] the term "Rickrolled" in every day speech. I'd always just assumed anyone stupid enough to try would simply have an aneurism. *looks off into the distance* The horror...the horror. Satire aside, I didn't know people had stooped to the level of using Rickrolling as a SPOKEN verb or noun. I say "owned" every now and then, but never really got far past it. Yikes.
Sabrina Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 [FONT="Tahoma"]Sir Darren sums up what I understand it to be. Beyond that, my first thought upon browsing through this thread was, there's no way I'm clicking on ANY links in here. [I][SIZE="1"]*really hates the ones that mess up one's browser >_<*[/SIZE][/I][/FONT]
Gavin Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 [quote name='Chaos']Satire aside, I didn't know people had stooped to the level of using Rickrolling as a SPOKEN verb or noun. I say "owned" every now and then, but never really got far past it. Yikes.[/QUOTE] [SIZE="1"] I believe RickRoll'd referred refers more specifically to when one is directed towards said video by Rick Astley. Being "owned" is somewhat different I think. [/SIZE]
Nerdsy Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 [quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'm assuming you want the weeaboo colloquial defention too? [/FONT][/QUOTE] [color=deeppink]I'm pretty sure there's no definition that [i]isn't[/i] weeaboo and colloquial.[/color]
Korey Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Some are moreso than others.... Gav, I was looking at Raiha's example sentences and for the most part, they are using it to replace the action of owning.[/FONT]
Korey Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 [quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial] Why "roll", though? [/FONT][/QUOTE] [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]*sings* Well I guess they liked it better that wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.[/FONT]
Nerdsy Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 [quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial] Why "roll", though? [/FONT][/QUOTE] [color=deeppink]It comes from duckroll, the precursor to rickoll. It was an animated (maybe?) image of a wooden duck on wheels. Rick is much more effective, of course.[/color]
John Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 Perhaps the snarkiness and charming brevity of my previous post belied the fact that it actually answered all of these questions and corrected all of these (shockingly huge) misconceptions. I'll bet it would work better if I put it in big letters: [SIZE=4][B][URL]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rickrolling[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
Mr. Maul Posted May 28, 2009 Posted May 28, 2009 [center] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=White][URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=838031&postcount=6"].[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [/center]
SunfallE Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I suppose you could consider it a way of [I]owning[/I] someone. But I still associate it with giving someone a link to that song instead of what they were supposed to get. As for other's links in this thread being any better, wouldn't know, didn't click any of em. =P[/FONT][/COLOR]
Boo Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 [quote name='John'] I'll bet it would work better if I put it in big letters: [SIZE=4][B][URL=http://piv.pivpiv.dk/]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rickrolling[/URL][/B][/SIZE][/QUOTE] [size=1]Yeah, click the above link. It answers all your questions. FYI, "lmgtfy" is not a rick roll link, it's a "let me google that for you" link, that googles rick rolling for you. Now you don't have to be afraid of clicking one of these links here.[/size]
Desbreko Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 [quote name='Boo'][size=1]Yeah, click the above link. It answers all your questions.[/size][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]I see what you did there.[/color]
Sangome Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 [SIZE="1"]And that's not even covering the McRoll, BearRoll, [I]BarackRoll[/I]...[/SIZE]
Boo Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 [quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]And that's not even covering the McRoll, BearRoll, [I]BarackRoll[/I]...[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1][i]JadeRoll...[/i][/size]
Sangome Posted May 29, 2009 Posted May 29, 2009 [SIZE="1"]I'mGoingToDropKickYouRoll... Yeah, you get the idea.[/SIZE]
Rachmaninoff Posted May 30, 2009 Posted May 30, 2009 I see Boo beat me to reminding you of the Jaderoll, Sangome. That one Des put together that's ten minutes long is just insane. lol
Korey Posted May 30, 2009 Posted May 30, 2009 [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Don't forget the ROADA ROLLER-DA!!! WRRYYYYYYYYYY....[/FONT]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now