OtakuBoards

Study Songs?

chibi-master

What I listen to really depends on what I'm studying. When studying chemistry, I listened to Mika's [i]Life in Cartoon Motion[/i] to prevent myself from falling into a spiral of despair. If I'm studying a language I'll probably listen to classical music and/or techno to stay immersed. Hearing people saying words while I'm trying to memorize vocabulary is very confusing to me.

Otherwise I tend to listen to the light and fluffy music I always do- Her Space Holiday, Andrew Bird, The Bird and the Bee, etc.- because listening to familiar music makes it harder for me to get distracted.

[SIZE="1"]I have final exams this week as well... good luck on yours!!

I think the music I listen to really depends on the subject - if it's something along the lines of English, foreign language, etc... I think it's a little distracting to listen to songs with vocals. So I stick to soundtracks or classical. I find Requiem by Verdi particularly motivating to study to. ^^ For other subjects like math and science, I listen to pretty much anything. Sometimes to keep myself from playing with my iPod too much when I should be reading, I just set my iPod on shuffle and see what happens. (Generally I try to avoid songs I listen to all the time because by then I know the lyrics and start singing along... and nothing gets done.) Otherwise, on occasion I've made playlists based on what seemed to work for me in the past (although I don't have them anymore so I can't tell you >.<).[/SIZE]

It's very rare to ever see me study at all. (I fail all exams if I study for some reason.) And when I do study I tend to just listen to my mp3 player. It has a variety of music on there. Nowdays I really can't listen to music while studying though because a lot of times I get too, into the music.. "coughs"

[FONT="Tahoma"]Other than classical or something very soft and soothing with no lyrics, I can't stand any music when I'm studying. It's just too easy to end up listening to the music instead of doing what I should be doing, studying. ^^ I even have to be careful about what classical I choose since I'll catch myself paying attention to what's playing instead of my school work. XD[/FONT]

The only time I can really listen to music while studying or doing homework without ending up getting distracted is when I do/did math. My mind doesn't have to concentrate [i]that[/i] hard just to perform a few equations, it seems.

But with stuff like English... man, I always end up playing music at first, but that's just too distracting. Eventually I have to turn it off or my paper will never get done. XP

[COLOR="Purple"]Hmmm...

Lately, I've been listening to Meditate by Out of Eden and Hero/Heroine by Boys Like Girls.

I also listen to some classical and techno music, but mostly really laid-back kind of stuff.
It actually depends on what I have to study for. Most of the time I only study for finals. I do listen to music when I do homework though. All the time. :catgirl:[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I normally can't study when there's any sound going on around me, though if I need something to help me relax while I study I find [i]Absolute Smooth Jazz[/i] on iTunes Radio played at a low volume in the background helps. Admittedly like Sabrina I often find myself paying more attention to the music after a while and have to turn it off altogether, but by then I've usually relaxed enough to study properly.[/SIZE]

I don't usually study. I never needed to, I've always been the one to remember almost word for word what the teacher says, even when I did not want to. But I listen to music no matter what I'm doing usually, unless it's music I can't stand. Depending on my mood, I listen to anything within Rock and Metal ranging from light JRock bands like The Pillows, to heavy, yet Melodic Metal bands. I really like harmony and bass, both relax me, but I can't listen to rap for bass because it's really to real-life sounding, which strangely enough, I don't like. I like sounds that seem out of this world. Tempo wise, I like slow, yet really low and thick guitaring but I also like bands like System of a Down that are almost too fast to follow. I noticed I can't really enjoy punk/emo (no offense) but I think it's because the vocals. So, pretty much any rock or metal with good harmony, melody, and at least semi thick guitars, unless they are a mellow rock band, is what I listen to when doing anything.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
You know, I used listen to music while reading/studying. However, I'm no longer sure if can do that anymore, and study at the same time. I find music distracting when I'm trying to concentrate on something involving, say, scientific methodology. However, when I did listen to more music while pouring over some books and notes, I'd pick music that, to me, fit the subject. When reading certain philosophers and philosophies, some music would be better than others, e.g. listening to Eluvium while reading some Logic book. Listening to NIN and reading Nietzsche sure was an experience, but I'm not sure if I'd do that again (my mind can take only so much, before collapsing into a shame spiral). When going over some existentialist theses or something, I'd find music with a dark edge, but not overly loud (Scorn's [i]Evanescence [/i]worked well, I think). Of course, classical music works well with plenty of subjects, too. Lastly, as much as I love metal, I can't listen to it anymore while reading; it really takes me out of my mindset and into another entirely different one.

In any event, if I do listen to something, I try and find music with no lyrics at all and with very little bombast. I think better in silence, now.