OtakuBoards

The Valentine's Day Thread!

chibi-master

Okay, as of now, it is the first of February! That means it's time for a Valentine's thread! So how will you spend your Valentine's Day? What do you like or dislike about it? Are you going to wait until after Valentine's Day, then swiftly buy all the Valentine's chocolates on clearance?

I'm going to sit around and laugh internally at many of the couples in my high school that swear that they will be together forever. Sure, maybe a few will, but the vast majority may break up within a week. And when they do, I will be there feeling something close to pity, though I'm sure it might just be a cavity from the chocolate.

Anyway, I have decided that along with this Valentine's day stuff, I will post a list of February holidays. It's a bit long, but some are just so interesting, sooo...

[QUOTE=Holiday Listing Website]Weekly Celebrations:

3rd Week International Flirting Week

Each Day:

1 National Freedom Day

2 Ground Hog Day

2 Candlemas

3 The Day the Music Died - Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash in 1959.

4 Create a Vacuum Day

4 Thank a Mailman Day

5 National Weatherman's Day

6 Lame Duck Day

7 Wave All you Fingers at Your Neighbor Day

7 Send a Card to a Friend Day - obviously created by a card company

8 Boy Scout Day - celebrates the birthday of scouting

8 Clean out Your Computer Day - second Monday of Month

8 Kite Flying Day - in the middle of winter!?!

9 Toothache Day

10 Umbrella Day

11 Don't Cry over Spilled Milk Day

11 Make a Friend Day

11 White T-Shirt Day

12 Abraham Lincoln's Birthday

12 Plum Pudding Day

12 Winter Olympics - not 'til 2010

13 Get a Different Name Day

14 Ferris Wheel Day

14 National Organ Donor Day

14 Valentine's Day

15 Candlemas - on the Julian Calendar

15 National Gum Drop Day

15 President's Day - third Monday of month

15 Singles Awareness Day

16 Do a Grouch a Favor Day

17 Random Acts of Kindness Day

18 National Battery Day

19 National Chocolate Mint Day

20 Cherry Pie Day

20 Hoodie Hoo Day

20 Love Your Pet Day

21 Card Reading Day

22 George Washington's Birthday

22 Be Humble Day

22 Walking the Dog Day

22 International World Thinking Day

23 International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day

23 Tennis Day

24 National Tortilla Chip Day

25 Pistol Patent Day

26 Carnival Day

26 National Pistachio Day - it's a nutty day!

26 Tell a Fairy Tale Day

27 Polar Bear Day

27 No Brainer Day - this day is for me!

28 Floral Design Day

28 Public Sleeping Day

28 National Tooth Fairy Day - and/or August 22

29 Leap Day (once every four years) [/QUOTE]

[size=1]
My girfriend and I will be spending the weekend together. Our one year anniversary is on Valentine's Day aswell, so I'll probably be driving up to North Carolina on Friday or Thursday night, getting a hotel room, exchange meager gifts with what little money we have, and then have alot of sex, lay around, cuddle, watch TV, movies, etc. Maybe go out to eat if we can afford it. [/size]

[size=1]THERE'S A NATIONAL DOG TREAT APPRECIATION DAY?! WTF?!

That aside, I will be participating in many of these days simply to bemuse and amuse my friends and family. And the general public.

For Valentine's Day, the boy and I are going to go to dinner, see a movie, then [although what possessed him to propose this in FEBRUARY is beyond me] icecream. Then who knows what when we get home. :)[/size]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Gray"]Well, itz me and my guy's 1st V-Day but unfortunately, he's in the Army and is stationed in Korea >.<.....which sucks so much considering that we're gay too, but we're still celebrating it nonetheless. Friday I'll be sending him a big box filled with a huge stuffed dog, a card that has a recorded message of me singing, 3 boxes of Hershey's Cookies & Cream candy bars (his fav), 4 Boxes of Grape flavored Pop Tarts (also his fav lol), a shirt that says "I Live And Die In My J's" (his fav shoes are Jordans), a very hard to find skullie made by a company called Rocksmith (I had to order it from Japan!?), and last but not least, a silver chain that matches the one that he bought me when he left for Korea.

Looking at this post makes it seems like a lot, but itz really not lol. But even if it is, he deserves it...I love him![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Sit at home and thank God that Valentines Day falls on a Sunday this year.

Also, I read "Ferris Wheel Day" as "Ferris Beuller Day", and was highly disappointed when I realized I misread it. :(

...and what on earth is "Lame Duck Day"? o_O

*googles*

...oh. I see. Darn. I was hoping it had something to do with limping ducks.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I'm going to sit pretty and wait for the boyfriend to cough up the requisite two dozen red roses in a lead crystal vase. If he doesn't, I'm totally leaving him.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]That's the spirit!

Also, I'd just like to say that Gavin's reaction (and follow-up) cracked me up.[/font]

[size=1]I am so going to town on those cheap candies after V-Day is done. I'm one of those publicly-hated people who don't gain a pound from what they eat. Either way, I have girls I [i]could[/i] celebrate it with, but I probably won't. That holiday gets me into trouble.

Just coincidence V-Day rhymes with D-Day?[/size]

[quote name='John']Valentine's Day was definitely at its best in elementary school, when it revolved around getting to put sweet-*** decorations on a paper sack and have it filled up with candy.[/QUOTE]

[size=1]Oh, agreed. We didn't even pay for it; our parents did! So while we simply write our buddies' names on them, we get loads of treats and such from others. Plus, we had dances at our elementary, which had even more treats and cookies and soda and the such![/size]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]...So apparently it wasn't Valentine's Day today but I'm sweet for panicking and getting her flowers.

Damn your pre-emptive thread chibi.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I'm not waiting to let another member take my specialty away from me! >:[

I'm going to start posting a list of holidays whenever I do a major one (or even a non-major one). And just so that no one misses the chance to celebrate one, I'll post them all on the first of the month! :animesmil

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]Oh. ****.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I need to find a florists in the next 20 minutes or I'm a dead man.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Do they celebrate Valentine's day on the 1st in Ireland? :confused:[/COLOR]

Anyways [B]Chibi #2's [/B]opening post reminded me that this month is [B]Beat the Blah [/B]month at work. I can't wait for next Friday's Wear Red and White day! I'm going to wear my fiance's I am Canadian t-shirt wee! Pajama day though- not too keen on that.

Anyways Valentine's day, I'm not expecting a gift or even a Facebook post from my Canuck because he's forgetful and broke so I've learned from years of dissapointment from different relationships not to expect a damn thing. No offense to my fiance, but I've learned the hard way not to expect or ask for anything.

I'm going to go watch my cousin Erin (Aye, my family's Irish and we take it seriously LOL) jump into Lake Ontario for the Polar Plunge to support Special Olympics. Yes there will be pictures of that! Then we're having a party for her at her house. The day before Valentine's Day though I'm having a party for my daughter's friends and a few of my own just to run around, eat junk food and bust a piñata to get candy and toys. Yes I am the best mom ever. :catgirl:

Other than that, nothing and I work 13hrs the day after V-day.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Do they celebrate Valentine's day on the 1st in Ireland? :confused:[/COLOR][/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]He saw the thread and panicked, not bothering to check the date.[/font]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior'][size=1]
Just coincidence V-Day rhymes with D-Day?[/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Anything is better than VD-Day. Instead of valentine's you just give your lovers penicillin.

I don't do Valntine's Day, because I never have anyone to give something to. I'll just buy something for my gal friends. :animesigh[/FONT]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior'][size=1]I am so going to town on those cheap candies after V-Day is done. I'm one of those publicly-hated people who don't gain a pound from what they eat. Either way, I have girls I [i]could[/i] celebrate it with, but I probably won't. That holiday gets me into trouble.
[/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][SIZE="1"]I tend to swoop in the day after and get some candies as well. >:3<

As for the actual day itself, I'm guessing a certain someone is going to do something special, so I'll try to act clueless and be surprised. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Shishou'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][SIZE="1"]I tend to swoop in the day after and get some [b]candies[/b] as well. >:3< [/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]I keep reading this word as "candles," and find myself wondering where you guys live that cheap candles are a hot-ticket item for Valentine's Day.[/font]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I'm going to sit pretty and wait for the boyfriend to cough up the requisite two dozen red roses in a lead crystal vase. If he doesn't, I'm totally leaving him.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I always thought that flowers were the perfect metaphor for my typical relationship. They start out with so much promise and beauty but three weeks later nothings left but compost.

I actually have my first real date with an amazing girl that I recently met on Valentine's Saturday. Despite my cynical few lines above I'm actually pretty optimistic when it comes to new relationships. Even if we don't end up clicking I am sure it will be a blast of a day.

[quote name='Jabberwocky'][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Anything is better than VD-Day. Instead of valentine's you just give your lovers penicillin.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Indeed. It is a dark day ahead of us. The question is if it's worth the few hours in bed? Some of us, perhaps only fifteen minutes? : P[/size]

I stopped caring about Valentine's Day after I was too old to get chocolates from the parents. And until I get into a relationship somehow, I'll just have to sit through this one.
Plus, it doesn't get me off from school, falling on a weekend like that. :(

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Sit at home and thank God that Valentines Day falls on a Sunday this year.

Also, I read "Ferris Wheel Day" as "Ferris Beuller Day", and was highly disappointed when I realized I misread it. :(

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

This. Yes, even the Ferris Beuller Day part >_>

Although this means that Valentine's Day will basically happen on Friday at my school. Which really annoys me. People blocking the halls...people running around the school with annoying talking balloons and making them go off every five seconds to make then even more annoying....people making even bigger idiots of themselves then they usually do...

Oh wait that's a normal day here. Never mind.