OtakuBoards

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver Trading, Discussion and SRS BIZNESS

The Spectacular Professor

[quote name='Lilt' date='26 June 2010 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1277567559' post='696013']
[b]Thanks, I might try that.

Right now though, this is the team I was thinking of using. Any suggestions or thoughts on this team?

Dugtrio - My ground type for my team.
Arcanine - My fire type
Manectric - Electric
Primeape - Fighting
Jynx - So I can have both Ice and Psychic
Octillery - Water type, but she also has some Ice and Psychic moves

So what do you guys think? Can I beat Red or do I need a better team?[/b]
[/quote]

This team should work fine if you ask me. You have all the advantages to take down Red's pokemon, its just a matter of how strong they are and what moves they know. You definitely want a powerful move but you dont want to have a high risk behind that move. Moves like Close Combat or Overheat can be heartbreakers if they dont do the job on the first try. If they leave a health left over then you cold be in line for a huge attack from a Snorlax or Pikachu. Trust me, I know first hand how vicious Red can get. But moves like Earthquake, Hydro Pump, Eruption, or Blizzard have attack power with little to no consequence. Good luck with Red.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Thanks again for the help. So what is a good level then for my team to be at to beat Red? Sure, 90+ would work for overkill, but I don't care about one hitting him. I did that with the Elite Four and Lance the first time around, and it seemed like lower levels would have actually been a little fun. Since it would have been more of a challenge.

And 'borrowing' the format from Chibi, here is my team.

â?¦Fiskmund - Named after a good friend and lover of octopuses, Fiskmund is an Octillery of many talents and because of this, she has a special place in my team. She's the first of my team's stars.

â?¦Labyrinth - The cute little group known as Labyrinth, are a Dugtrio that really know how to shake things up. The second star of my team.

â?¦Eclair Roll - A shocking but sweet Manectric that came to me straight from Japan. The third star of my team. (She is the daughter of an Electrike that I got from Japan.)

Hardcore - Hardcore is an angry Primeape. We don't get a long too much, since he usually wants to fight. D:

Peppers - My fluffy Arcanine. He bites too much though. D:

Weekend - A Jynx that almost has as much talent as Octillery. However, dancing can be fun but she dances even when it's not appropriate. D:

I still like yours the best, Chibi. Especially the Russians. XD[/b]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Might as well share my team:

[b]Olivier:[/b] My Tyranitar. She's big, loud and painful. Caught her in the Safari Zone about halfway through the Johto league. I promptly assigned her to my team, where she remains to this day for her tendency to dish out even more than she can take. She doesn't seem to understand that seven feet of rock dinosaur is hard to be stealthy with.

[b]Chocula:[/b] Crobat. Found in the Union Cave, where he lurked as an especially large Zubat, swooping down to kidnap unsuspecting spelunkers and drain them of fluids. Luckily, I had a pokeball handy and he had very blunt teeth in those days, so he didn't actually manage to harm anyone other than instilling a fear of heights. Nowadays, he's a complete speed demon and an unrivaled flier. His teeth are much sharper, as well.

[b]Franziska:[/b] Scizor. She's completely ruthless and nearly indestructible, but tends to try to be a little too creative with her attacks. She once attempted to down an opponent using False Swipe. Met her in National Park, where she won me a Sun Stone for being especially not-lame.

[b]Risa:[/b] My Ampharos. she once KOed a Rhyhorn without even aiming for the horn. This was simply because she used Power Gem rather than an electric attack. Still an impressive story, though. She's a reliable ally, but she's a little embarrassed about her neck length.

[b]Gulo:[/b] My prized starter, Typhlosion. Between the fire breath and the general tendency to viciously maul things until they're no longer recognizable as their previous form, he tends to leave an impression. Has a bit of a rivalry with Rich(my rival)'s Feraligatr, though it typically just devolves into a bizarre flexing competition.

[b]Alice:[/b] Weavile, imported from Sinnoh as a baby Sneasel. She's a bit clingy, but nothing can end a fight faster than her. She hits hard and fast, so things usually finish before they can start, but it's a really bad idea to let her keep going if anything lives through the first blow.[/font]

I think I already did this, but I'll do it again anyway.

[b]Rio[/b] - My Feraligatr; the first Pokemon I received in this game. He's good against practically anything due to his moveset (Waterfall, Crunch, Ice Fang, and Screech, which would be Earthquake if I had an extra TM).

[b]Ampere[/b] - Ampharos. He took down Clair's Kingdra after a ferocious struggle (and lots of revives).

[b]Adagio[/b] - That's pretty much the perfect name for a Slowking.

[b]Virgil[/b] - This guy made Growlithe become one of my very favorite Pokemon. He's an Arcanine now, but that just means he's even more awesome. I freaked out when I saw him following me for the first time because it was way too cute. Then one time he picked up something and was so happy when I took it, I almost died from the adorable.

[b]Remy[/b] - I bred and EV trained this Sneasel in Platinum just so I could easily defeat Will and Lance in HG. His moveset is perfect because his dad is my Weavile, Noel; my favorite Pokemon in Platinum.

[b]Mars[/b] - This guy was born from a Larvitar that hatched from an egg someone else gave to me. He probably has about twelve brothers or sisters, all of whom are stuck at level 1 in my PC in Platinum. Because I trained him in Sinnoh to beat the Johto Elite 4, he was waaaay too strong for them. I ended up not even needing him because everyone else got so strong in Sinnoh, though, and I didn't want to use an overpowered beast of a Tyranitar.

Oh, by the way everyone, you can get Jirachi from Mystery Gift now. I got one in HG and Platinum. The only problem is you can't change its name, which makes me really mad.

[b]Can't you never change Jiraichi's name? Since the only way to find one is by trading, right? (And I'm not sure, but I don't think eggs can appear from a legendary, right?) Can you even get an egg from an unevolved Pokémon or one that doesn't evolve?

I didn't even think of getting an extra one on my Platinum. II'll have to do that soon.

Also, I have a problem. I wanted to get rid of my DSi, since I have a DS Lite now. However, is it really necessary to trade a team over to another game to level them to fight Red? Because if trading my team is the only way to get to fight Red, I will keep my DSi.

Also, what's a good level to start fighting Red? I don't want to die too much, but I also don't want to be too overpowered.[/b]

Does anyone know how to obtain Leafeon and Glacion(Grass and Ice evolution of Eevee)? Do I have to trade it over from another game or is there another way to obtain if you already have 2 Eevees?

In other news I have obtained all the baby pokemon in the game...at least all the normal ones. Just hatched a Munchlax today. Just training my Larvitar and Aron to evolve into their final forms.

[quote name='Lilt' date='28 June 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1277771684' post='696120']
[b]Can't you never change Jiraichi's name? Since the only way to find one is by trading, right? (And I'm not sure, but I don't think eggs can appear from a legendary, right?) Can you even get an egg from an unevolved Pokémon or one that doesn't evolve?[/b][/quote]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Legendaries and babies can't breed. Other than that, you can usually at least breed it with a Ditto (babies are the pre-evolutions that are introduced in generations after their "main" form, like Pichu for Pikachu. Chikorita and other first forms that aren't classified as babies can breed).[/font]

[quote name='Lilt' date='28 June 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1277771684' post='696120'][b]Also, what's a good level to start fighting Red? I don't want to die too much, but I also don't want to be too overpowered.[/b]
[/quote]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]You might be able to take him at around level 75, just make sure you have something that can outrun his Pikachu and bring a few revives.[/font] Edited by gallowsCalibrator

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]As far as the breeding goes, you also have to keep in mind that babies can't breed with their parents. I could go into a slew of inbred jokes, but eh.
[/color][/font]

[quote name='Humaru' date='28 June 2010 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1277772916' post='696122']
Does anyone know how to obtain Leafeon and Glacion(Grass and Ice evolution of Eevee)? Do I have to trade it over from another game or is there another way to obtain if you already have 2 Eevees?
[/quote]
Glaceon: Must be leveled up on route 217 in Sinnoh
Leafeon: Must be leveled up in Eterna Forest in Sinnoh

So, yes, you must trade them over to a different game if you have the Eevee in HG.

[quote name='Lilt' date='28 June 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1277771684' post='696120']
[b]Can't you never change Jiraichi's name? Since the only way to find one is by trading, right? (And I'm not sure, but I don't think eggs can appear from a legendary, right?) Can you even get an egg from an unevolved Pokémon or one that doesn't evolve?[/b]
[/quote]
You can't rename any Pokemon you receive in a trade, and I guess the Jirachi gift is considered a trade. It's ID and Original Trainer aren't the same as the Pokemon you've caught.

It's a shame, because I'm a big fan of consistency between my Pokemon's names. I'm considering breeding a new Infernape and training it all the way up to level 75 again just so I don't have the all caps name sticking out on my team. Meh.

But then again, it's not like I have a use for Jirachi anyway.

[quote name='Kei' date='28 June 2010 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1277774653' post='696127']
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]As far as the breeding goes, you also have to keep in mind that babies can't breed with their parents. I could go into a slew of inbred jokes, but eh.
[/color][/font]
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure I've actually done this, though. I can't remember when or why, but I feel like I definitely mated a father and a daughter and felt really weird about it. Edited by Tonks

[font="Comic Sans MS"]They actually only had the anti-incest safeguard in Gold, Silver and Crystal. They took it out after that. Not sure why, but it might have something to do with the fact that they changed how gender is determined and that made it harder to compensate for the rarity of females in certain species without abusing the Ditto Clause.[/font] Edited by gallowsCalibrator

[b]Thanks for the help guys. Seriously, it's a lot of help. This whole time I was evolving Pokémon because I didn't realize you could breed the ones that aren't considered babies. This will save me a lot of time. :sweatdrop:

Speaking of Jirachi though, I see a lot of people on GTS trading for Pokémon that are hard to find. Like Jirachi, Deoxsys, Darkrai, etc. How do they see these Pokémon and get it so they can trade for them? Because there are still a lot that I haven't seen but I want to search for.

Do they use the Safari Zone or something? (For the ones that aren't Legendary, of course.) I heard that it takes about one hundred days though to get Pokeémon from that place to show up. I hope that's not true. :blink:

@Humaru: Did you need a Leafeon?[/b] Edited by Lilt

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]As far as the seeing Legendaries goes, it's most likely a hack. The GTS is notorious for having hacked Pokémon running around. You'd think they'd build a feature into the game that can tell whether or not the Pokémon someone is putting up is legit or not, considering people that have their games hacked are banned from tournaments and the like.

The wait in the Safari Zone is related to modifying the zone after you become the Owner. If you put in enough decorations of a certain type in a certain area and wait, you can get a rare Pokémon to take up residence in that area. Some do have an incredibly long wait time. Gible is one of the more infamous examples. You have to use up all your decoration slots in Rocky Beach and then wait 100 days for them to show. A lot of trouble for a potential Garchomp. A [i]lot[/i].[/color][/font]

[quote name='Kei' date='29 June 2010 - 02:30 AM' timestamp='1277793041' post='696141']The wait in the Safari Zone is related to modifying the zone after you become the Owner. If you put in enough decorations of a certain type in a certain area and wait, you can get a rare Pokémon to take up residence in that area. Some do have an incredibly long wait time. Gible is one of the more infamous examples. You have to use up all your decoration slots in Rocky Beach and then wait 100 days for them to show. A lot of trouble for a potential Garchomp. A [i]lot[/i].[/color][/font]
[/quote]
What the. If I had to wait that long to achieve the first part of a goal I would probably just give up Pokemon altogether. Good thing I've got Platinum and Pearl and can just trade one over.

[b]So is it easier to get one from Platinum then? If so, I might just get a Gible from there. 100 days is way too long to wait. :wacko:

I just wonder if it would be easier to trade over my team to Platinum and train them there, with someone's help. Or if I should just beat the Elite Four over and over again. (Don't their levels raise each time you beat them though?)

Also, I traded over my Rotom finally! However, 5 PP moves without 100% accuracy aren't as great as I thought it would be. I wish I could teach him Surf or something like that. >_>[/b] Edited by Lilt

[quote name='Lilt' date='29 June 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1277861470' post='696172']
[b]So is it easier to get one from Platinum then? If so, I might just get a Gible from there. 100 days is way too long to wait. :wacko:

I just wonder if it would be easier to trade over my team to Platinum and train them there, with someone's help. Or if I should just beat the Elite Four over and over again. (Don't their levels raise each time you beat them though?)

Also, I traded over my Rotom finally! However, 5 PP moves without 100% accuracy aren't as great as I thought it would be. I wish I could teach him Surf or something like that. >_>[/b]
[/quote]

You can catch Gible in the lower level of Wayward Cave under Cycling Road, so it's definitely a lot easier to get one in Platinum.

Also, if you need good ideas for any Pokemon's move set, you should look at [url="http://smogon.com"]Smogon[/url]. That's really for competitive strategies, but I've been using it for regular game play just so I can figure out the best possible moves for specific Pokemon.

[b]Thanks for the link, I'll definitely try that. My usual strategy for move sets is having multiple moves that are super effective against a certain type. XD

Also, I just found out how to rematch trainers. It works a lot better than Victory Road! :sweatdrop: And I'm not sure yet, but I might try to put Rotom in my team. If only because he was traded over from another trainer, so he gets boosted exp.

Is that why it's better to train Pokémon on another game if you can? Since they will get boosted exp?[/b]

[quote name='Lilt' date='30 June 2010 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1277938754' post='696226']
[b]Is that why it's better to train Pokémon on another game if you can? Since they will get boosted exp?[/b]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Actually, while traded Pokémon grow faster, they'll probably pale in comparison to a Pokémon that was trained straight through by one trainer. I would assume this is because since it grows so fast, that's less time you have to actually get in some EV training, but I could be wrong.[/color][/font]

[b]But what if you don't EV train like me? If it's better for me to do it, then I'll need to find someone to help me trade.

Although thanks to trainer rematches, I got one of my team to level 80 finally! Now I just need to go for the rest.

I keep wondering though if I should replace my Primeape with Meditite (the evolved from, I can't remember the name right now,) or with a Heracross. Primeape seems to have some pretty good fighting moves though. :sweatdrop:

Oh and so far I've caught Raikou, Entei, Suicine, Zapdos, Articuno.

Is Latias as difficult to catch as any of these though? I had to reset several times just to catch Zapdos and Articuno. :annoyed: [/b]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]If you're just concerned about getting to Lv. 100 faster, then yes, traded Pokemon is the best way to go.

As far as a good Fighting-type, Medicham is decent, since it nullifies the incredible Psychic-type weakness that Fighting-types usually have. Unfortunately, to get that, you have to sacrifice some Attack and Defense power. So it all depends on whether you want to play to type or have more power.
[/color][/font]

[quote name='Lilt' date='01 July 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1278035680' post='696295']
[b]Is Latias as difficult to catch as any of these though? I had to reset several times just to catch Zapdos and Articuno. :annoyed: [/b]
[/quote]
After a certain point in the game, Latias will roam around the Kanto region like Entei and Raikou did in Johto. Edited by chibi-master

[quote name='Humaru' date='02 July 2010 - 06:52 AM' timestamp='1278046335' post='696310']
Right now Im working on catching the legendary Pokemon. So far I have Raikou, Suicune, Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno, and Kyogre. Entei and Latias keep escaping my grasp but I will get them.
[/quote]

[b]Good luck with that. I'm on Latias right now. Is it true you can't get to Rayquaza?[/b]

[quote name='chibi-master' date='02 July 2010 - 04:58 AM' timestamp='1278039530' post='696300']
After a certain point in the game, Latias will roam around the Kanto region like Entei and Raikou did in Johto.
[/quote]

[b]Thanks Chibi. :) Did you have a strategy to catch Latias? Or is it just luck?[/b]

[quote name='Kei' date='02 July 2010 - 04:26 AM' timestamp='1278037564' post='696299']
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]If you're just concerned about getting to Lv. 100 faster, then yes, traded Pokemon is the best way to go.

As far as a good Fighting-type, Medicham is decent, since it nullifies the incredible Psychic-type weakness that Fighting-types usually have. Unfortunately, to get that, you have to sacrifice some Attack and Defense power. So it all depends on whether you want to play to type or have more power.
[/color][/font]
[/quote]

[b]Thank you Kei. I'll keep that in mind. Right now though, I have no one I can trade with. So I guess trainer rematches are the only option until I find someone.

I didn't even think of that. I'll consider using Medicham, after I take a look at some of the moves. Especially since I finally have my Meditite now.

Oh I almost forgot! Don't you need Rock Climb and some other HM's to get to Red? Does that mean I might have to use an HM servant in my team?[/b] Edited by Lilt

[quote name='Lilt' date='02 July 2010 - 02:31 AM' timestamp='1278052318' post='696314'][b]Thanks Chibi. :) Did you have a strategy to catch Latias? Or is it just luck?[/b]
[/quote]

My strategy is simple. Cheat a little. I'm starting many of my games over now that I've transferred Pokemon from the areas so that I can have a good amount of Master Balls for those damned legendaries.

[quote name='Lilt' date='02 July 2010 - 02:31 AM' timestamp='1278052318' post='696314']
[b]Good luck with that. I'm on Latias right now. Is it true you can't get to Rayquaza?[/b]

[/quote]

Yeah I cant get to Rayquaza unless I have a Groudon from Soulsilver. What I really need is someone with another DS...that way I can trade one over.