OtakuBoards

End of Days in May?

Lyndy

[size="2"][font="Times New Roman"]Well, I signed into MSN, and then that news pop-up from MSN came up and I saw this news article about the prediction of Judgment Day, which would be, according to someone in this news article, May 21, 2011. I really dislike that prediction because I think that is when I am going to graduate from high school. But other than that, I'm starting to think that there are way too many predictions for the end of the world/Judgment Day. According to some of the people interviewed, they are certain that Judgment Day [i]will[/i] be on May 21st. But another person says that Judgment Day will be in October of the same year.

Whatever happened to the end of the world in 2012? But then again, the Rapture could happen, and then the world would end later in 2012. And someone in the 1800s made a prediction that Judgment Day would be in 1844. But I digress. There is more to it, and you can read it for yourself [url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40885541/ns/us_news-life/?gt1=43001"][color="#FF0000"]here[/color][/url].

What are your thoughts? Do you think the prediction could be right? Or that it is wrong yet again?[/font][/size]

Oh, and you might want to read the comments to this news article, but you don't have to.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]As was joked over Skype on the wee hours of New Year's Day; "The end of the world is really in 2011! The Mayans forgot to carry the 1!"

But in all seriousness...uhhh...no. No human knows when the world is going to end. In fact, if these people actually read the Bible as they claimed they did, they'd see that it's rather crystal clear; no human on earth knows when judgment is to come.

In fact, I'm wildly curious about how exactly they managed to pluck this date out of the Bible. The article says that they're "convinced of it due to their reading of the Bible", but it doesn't elaborate on what exactly that entails. It just seems like a really random date to me.

I miss the 2012 hysteria already. :C Why can't we go back to that? 2011 just started![/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I agree with Sangome. No mere primate on this planet actually knows when the Earth will end. It could happen tomorrow due to some unforeseen disaster or it could happen in another few billion years when the sun envelopes the Earth. Nobody knows.

One thing's for sure - absolutely no ancient text is going to come anywhere close to telling us anything useful or relevant about such things. Just consider the number of failed predictions, as Selene pointed out.

Apparently NASA has received a deluge of calls and emails from people who are actually scared about 2012. That just amazes me. People are obviously [i]that[/i] stupid.

I wish people would stop predicting the end of the world and focus on actually living for today and tomorrow; enjoying life, in other words, rather than relishing (or worrying about) the apparently-impending demise of our planet.[/font]

[quote name='James' timestamp='1294109848' post='703612']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]Apparently NASA has received a deluge of calls and emails from people who are actually scared about 2012. That just amazes me. People are obviously [i]that[/i] stupid.

I wish people would stop predicting the end of the world and focus on actually living for today and tomorrow; enjoying life, in other words, rather than relishing (or worrying about) the apparently-impending demise of our planet.[/font]
[/quote]

[color="#556B2F"][font="Times New Roman"]I never really believed any of the predictions, but it always made me think about some stuff. I wish that stuff wouldn't get to me, but I'm a worrisome person. But I'm not worrisome enough to whine and whine about it and actually believe it. It just makes me want to live life to the fullest whenever I can. But yeah, the world could end whenever without giving us a warning.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Lyndy' timestamp='1294116152' post='703616']
[color="#556B2F"][font="Times New Roman"]I never really believed any of the predictions, but it always made me think about some stuff. I wish that stuff wouldn't get to me, but I'm a worrisome person. But I'm not worrisome enough to whine and whine about it and actually believe it. It just makes me want to live life to the fullest whenever I can. But yeah, the world could end whenever without giving us a warning.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]The thing is, it doesn't need to be some major astrophysical event - it could be that you walk across the street and get hit by a bus tomorrow. You know?

Human beings have this way of thinking that the Earth (let alone the actual Universe) is somehow geared to us or somehow has us in mind. There's a great deal of ego involved there, which I find pretty incredible.

But my example above kind of demonstrates that we don't see the forest for the trees. There are a billion more likely events that will kill you than the world ending. If you're going to worry about your death, then I'd be more inclined to worry about those fairly mundane (and largely chance) events.

You are right though, Lyndy - we should definitely try to live life to the fullest, because it is very fleeting and time goes by very quickly. Plus, you never know what will happen.

I don't think about these things much, personally. My attitude towards death goes something like this: I was dead for billions of years before I was born and it didn't work out too badly for me. At least, that's what I do think of when thoughts of my own mortality come into question/discussion. :)[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000ff"]Death is a funny thing, mostly because of how uncertain its. No matter what you believe, death is the threshold between what you know, and what you don't. I personally believe in an after life, my friend believes that nothing comes of our consciousness after our demise, but I will be the first to admit that I haven't the foggiest which is true despite my faith. I think the reason that these "end of the world" plots merit so much attention is because of the general fear caused by what we don't know. We, as people, are desperately curious of all things that we don't understand, and the cause of our death is no exception, I feel. I myself don't care much about how I'm going to die, but I'm the only member of my immediate family who feels that way.

I guess the short end of my opinion is that death is a ridiculous thing get so caught up with,as more than likely we'll each die differently. But even if some Armageddon does rain down and destroy us all, I sincerely doubt that that that knowing or worrying about it is going to do us any good at all[/color][/font] Edited by Soji47

[font="Times New Roman"][color="#556B2F"]I just remembered... May of 2010 was a horrible year for me deathwise. ._. And it was around the same day that the world is supposed to end/whatever this year. I was hoping that May of 2011 would be better.

Anyways, I was on Facebook and someone made a status about this and I told them about what I knew about what it said in the Bible about the Rapture and stuff like that. And I also linked the people commenting on the status the link that Selene gave and someone liked my comment that included that link. :V But ever since yesterday, there has been heated talk about this. I also told my friends about it today and said that I think that is when our graduation is and they were like "Well, at least we won't have to worry about college." :V[/color][/font] Edited by Lyndy

• 1 month later...
When I heard about that my first thought was that at least they won't have to wait long to figure out if they're right or not.

Really I've been hearing that the the end is near my whole life and anymore I don't pay it any mind. Looking back over history it seems to me that each new era comes up with an interpretation of end times prophecy that kind of matches the mood and events of that era. The popular one we have now (rapture, seven year tribulation, etc.) is mostly a product of thought from the last century or so.

My general attitude towards the whole thing is that it could come today or it could come thousands of years from now. Nothing any of us can do is going to change the date so don't dwell on it. Instead, spend however much time we have left making the world we have now as good as it can be.

I love 'end of the world' cults. The only thing I remotely use to even ponder when the world is going to end is the Doomsday Clock.

You know what I find funny? When people go on about "**** ON THIS DATE THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THE NAME OF GOD BE PREPARED!" and, then, when NOTHING happens, the cult seem to go "ummm..." and slink into the shadows never to be seen again. It's like a George Orwell novel where all inaccuracies are deleted from existence to prove the cults were never wrong.

I don't believe the world will end any time soon, or anytime soon in a billion years. We've done pretty good for the past billion, so I think we'll do fine until May. I don't believe in any Rapture crap - the only destruction is going to be at the hands of humanity itself. Nature is pretty balanced - no freak storm or freak disease is going to kill us off unless we design it ourselves. Of course, other wild possibilities could happen, but it definitely won't be this silly Rapture talk. And, thankfully, when the world DOES end, no one will be alive to annoyingly proclaim "I told you the Rapture was coming!" when in actual fact the entire world died of mad processed food poisoning. Edited by Vicky

I actually have a long-time friend that belongs to this particular...er...school of thought. They also believe in the appearance of mysterious diamonds and gems from heaven, gold dust, and a plethora of other somewhat odd manifestations of heaven.

Needless to say, this friend won't be attending the debauchery held in his honor on the night of 21 May.

-Justin

• 3 weeks later...