OtakuBoards

RPG Idea

Vicky

So I got really drunk last night and made a post or two, one of which included troll face and another included be babbling about an RPG.

But this time I've actually decided to do it. I got a lot of spare time on my hands in September, which I'd like to revolve around writing since that's what my degree is meant to be.

Anyway, I want to get some opinions and interest. And some comments/suggestions. The basics I have so far, which I've pretty much thought about for like... five seconds maybe... are below:

[No title... yet]

The general idea is to do something original. As a self-proclaimed writer I believe that you really find out a lot about yourself through writing, or at least solidify your identity. What better way to explore yourself than through a role play? The problem is, we all take on a completely different persona through our role playing. Maybe it's a indication of the kind of person we want to be - I know that's certainly true for me. So instead of coming up with brave new knight of the Kingdom who slays dragons and sleeps with the princess of a post apocalyptic future filled with androids and blue-eyed zombies, we're going to play [i]ourselves[/i].

I know some people prefer to keep their identity a bit of a secret here or might not be comfortable posting a picture so some exceptions will be made. Of course, I ain't going to know if you're lying about yourself, but the idea is to try and keep as close to [i]you[/i] as possible, personality wise above all else.

Of course, I'm going to throw everyone into a new world. Post apocalyptic is always my special area, so that's the image I've come up with. Think of the "Tribe" (if you've seen it) but a bit more perverse; the books of the old world have been burnt, a distant distortion of what our society used to be roams the streets. Throughout the chaos and cruelty is... us. Trying to reclaim and remember what happened, what we had... and probably find out something new. After all, how the hell are [i]you[/i] going to react in a destroyed world? I'm not asking how Barb the Notorious dudette will react with her glorious super powers - but [i]you[/i], sat here at your computer playing pretend.

I'm thinking of giving us all some brief super powers, just because I know we [i]all[/i] wanted a super power when we were little. But I'm not too sure about that. However, I want to see how we develop [i]ourselves[/i] and not just the characters. I think it'll be interesting.

What'da ya think? Any suggestions? Edited by Vicky

Allow me to start by saying it's great seeing you back in the theater, Vicky. You know you can always count me in when you make an appearance.

That being said, I think it's an ace idea. As a habit I try to write my characters so that they behave in a manner similar to my own, albeit with more exaggerated qualities. But naturally, those characters usually have an awesome physique and all of the battle prowess known to man, both of which I'm pretty sure I'm lacking. Placing myself, with all of my flaws, into a heated situation sounds simultaneously more exciting and thought provoking. I think if everyone is honest with the way they portray themselves, this could be a really brilliant rp. In short, I'm all aboard, and I'm more than happy to help in any way I can.

I do have a quick question (I'll try to think up some more later). What would be the cause of the post-apocalyptic world? Something like nuclear warfare, or a simply a collapse of society?

That was one of the main reasons for "play yourself". A lot of people do have vulnerable characters, but I just thought it'd be such a great experiment to have almost real people parading around in some other world. With no super cool background stories that can only be found in movies, just normal people. Normal-ish.

I haven't decided yet. The post apocalyptic thing is really the only world I'm good at. I was thinking maybe to leave this entirely and just work on the whole world itself - develop it as we go along and try and find out the cause.

What I wanted to do originally was have one normal post in our every day lives but ending with us waking up in this world. Not too original, but at least there's a lot of mystery. That leaves avenue for almost anything to happen - maybe we just happened to have sat in a coma forever, or were transported into the future, or a parallel universe, or - well, you get the idea. :D

RPing as therapy? I'm down with that. It sounds like a really interesting idea, as much as I try to create flawed characters as they're more interesting to play, none of them are anywhere near as flawed as I am.

I think the idea of leaving some mystery about what has happened to the world is a cool one, too, at the very least it'll help drive the story along, at least at the beginning. I'm never quite sure how I would react to that kind of thing, and exploring it through writing is definitely something I'd be up for. So count me in, basically!

The sign-ups will probably be the most difficult part of all this. I've been thinking about what to put and it's bloody hard to describe yourself, ha.

Another thing I've been pondering is whether or not to have the story as we know each other, from Otakuboards that is. I reckon that would be hella interesting and add a bit more... well, realism.

And what's more interesting, writing about other people you know exist! This takes controlling characters to a new level in my opinion.

Anyone who's interested is in. I'm not going down the normal "dude, you gotta be some Shakespeare guy for this" route. But I won't be starting until maybe end of August since I'm in the middle of moving at the moment :D

This is a great idea Vicky, I do have one suggestion. While I do like the idea of a tiny super power of sorts, something that gives each character a bit of an 'edge' over the average bear...or human...or radioactive hamsters from a planet near mars. I kind've like the idea of keeping characters as close to us as possible and eliminating powers all together.

My only reasoning for that is that in almost every RP that contains even the sligtest hint of super power, it never fails that at least one person feels slighted because they picked underwater basketweaving instead of the ability to deconstruct atoms with a mere thought, and that persons weaving wood suddenly becomes an ancient magical wood with the ability to make the person weaving with it completly industructable.

I know the idea of using OB characters, names at least, has been done but I must say all my time in the boards I've never seen an idea quite as intriguing as this, in this genre at least.

[quote name='Drizzt' timestamp='1313527331' post='708946']
This is a great idea Vicky, I do have one suggestion. While I do like the idea of a tiny super power of sorts, something that gives each character a bit of an 'edge' over the average bear...or human...or radioactive hamsters from a planet near mars. I kind've like the idea of keeping characters as close to us as possible and eliminating powers all together.

My only reasoning for that is that in almost every RP that contains even the sligtest hint of super power, it never fails that at least one person feels slighted because they picked underwater basketweaving instead of the ability to deconstruct atoms with a mere thought, and that persons weaving wood suddenly becomes an ancient magical wood with the ability to make the person weaving with it completly industructable.

I know the idea of using OB characters, names at least, has been done but I must say all my time in the boards I've never seen an idea quite as intriguing as this, in this genre at least.
[/quote]

[b]This is so true! XD

I can't tell you how many times I've picked the basketweaving power to try to not make my character too powerful. XD Then I usually have to change the power to keep up with everything.

Maybe the superpowers could be something that everyone could use? Something anyone can pick up and use, almost like a weapon but not quite I guess?

I'll throw some more ideas out here too soon.[/b]

I think I might totally ditch super powers. The only reasonable explanation I had for obtaining such powers was a meeting with a post apocalyptic-style Wizard of Oz.

I'm still totally playing with ideas... I came up with a sorta Silent Hill thing. After the recent riots here, I thought having the world slightly normal in the day and then CRAZY MUTANT DESTRUCTION AND EVIL at night would be cool. But I just don't know yet. I'm a bit weary about throwing us into a totally whacked world... I might just do a "I Am Legend" thing and have it quite normal in the day but decidedly evil and twisted at night time when the nasties come out to play.

[quote name='Vicky' timestamp='1313703966' post='708972']
I'm still totally playing with ideas... I came up with a sorta Silent Hill thing. After the recent riots here, I thought having the world slightly normal in the day and then CRAZY MUTANT DESTRUCTION AND EVIL at night would be cool. But I just don't know yet. I'm a bit weary about throwing us into a totally whacked world... I might just do a "I Am Legend" thing and have it quite normal in the day but decidedly evil and twisted at night time when the nasties come out to play.
[/quote][kuja]please let the nasties be "trolls". <3[/kuja]

[quote name='Vicky' timestamp='1313703966' post='708972']
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]I've been playing Left 4 Dead recently and it occurred to me that I've never really given a zombie apocalypse-style RPG a go. I like the idea, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy writing as "myself".[/font]

[quote name='James' timestamp='1313714689' post='708977']
[font=palatino linotype]I've been playing Left 4 Dead recently and it occurred to me that I've never really given a zombie apocalypse-style RPG a go. I like the idea, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy writing as "myself".[/font]
[/quote]

[b]I know how you feel James. One thing I always enjoy about joining an RP is making my own character for the story.

I guess we'll both see how that turns out though. It could be fun.[/b] Edited by Lilt

I'll let you all in on a secret; the only reason I'm actually making you play yourselves is 'cause I can't think of any new characters :P.

Haha, I just think it would be a fun experiment. For me it'll be completely different, especially since I never play female characters. But to keep it as a fantasy game of course I'm not going to expect total unflinching honesty, for example I know a lot of people aren't as camera happy as me so won't be comfortable posting their own picture so their appearance can be acceptably changed.

Think of it like an OB confidence building course. A hardcore version of team building exercises. Most of the time when see an RPG I come across other people's characters and I find them really interesting and cool, with totally whacked backgrounds and well-thought out personalities. By playing yourself to an extent things become a bit more difficult. For one, none of us hardly think we're that interesting (is that just me?) and one of the things I've managed to hold onto on these damn writing courses is the ability to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary. Rather than diving in with a well-developed, awesome character we've instead got a mix of people too much like ourselves (because in reality they'll never be exactly us) with nothing but the foundations. By the end of it we can turn around and say Lara Croft ain't got **** on our characters :P.

PS: BOO GET OFF MA' LAWN. Although we could call 'em trolls. Why not?

[quote name='Vicky' timestamp='1313744480' post='708982']
By the end of it we can turn around and say Lara Croft ain't got **** on our characters :P.

PS: BOO GET OFF MA' LAWN. Although we could call 'em trolls. Why not?
[/quote][kuja]you had me at "Lara Croft" and then you had me again at the asterisks. I'm in. ;)

Also, there was once an RPG that Dragon Warrior made which was about OB people playing themselves working in an office [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/index.php?/topic/38702-no-more-coffee-pg/"]No More Coffee[/url] which didn't really go anywhere, but I enjoyed it still.[/kuja] Edited by kuja

• 4 weeks later...