OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards: What Next?

James

I think you're confusing separate forums with separate chat rooms on TheOtaku.  Chat rooms demand you pay attention to one of them at a time, so even if you're lurking in several rooms at once, your attention will be on one primary window, and therefore your social focus will be with that room as well.  Thus cliques, just like in real life.

Forums don't require you to limit your attention to one single forum, as evidenced by the current forum arrangement already.  What .... oh lord I can't bring myself to say that name.

Uhm.

What Greg there is bringing up is how our current forum setup is a very broad environment where everything from a general topic is lumped into the same collection of threads, which is very nice and clean and tidy.  But what that does is sort of discourage highly specific thread topics like favorite characters or "who would you date" or stuff like that, which differ from a general, say, chapter-by-chapter or episode-by-episode analytical breakdown thread of a series.  Although nothing is physically stopping these threads from being created, a member who, for instance, wants to discuss all things One Piece now has to wade through everything for Naruto, Bleach, Sword Art Online, Attack On Titan, Avatar, etc., ad nauseum.  And there are so many series that are either popular or cult classics that the prospect of wading through thirty pages of threads just to find the one you posted in yesterday is utterly ridiculous.

So it's not like they don't have a point.
Edited by Allamorph

I think you're confusing separate forums with separate chat rooms on TheOtaku.  Chat rooms demand you pay attention to one of them at a time, so even if you're lurking in several rooms at once, your attention will be on one primary window, and therefore your social focus will be with that room as well.  Thus cliques, just like in real life.

Forums don't require you to limit your attention to one single forum, as evidenced by the current forum arrangement already.  What .... oh lord I can't bring myself to say that name.

Uhm.

What Greg there is bringing up is how our current forum setup is a very broad environment where everything from a general topic is lumped into the same collection of threads, which is very nice and clean and tidy.  But what that does is sort of discourage highly specific thread topics like favorite characters or "who would you date" or stuff like that, which differ from a general, say, chapter-by-chapter or episode-by-episode analytical breakdown thread of a series.  Although nothing is physically stopping these threads from being created, a member who, for instance, wants to discuss all things One Piece now has to wade through everything for Naruto, Bleach, Sword Art Online, Attack On Titan, Avatar, etc., ad nauseum.  And there are so many series that are either popular or cult classics that the prospect of wading through thirty pages of threads just to find the one you posted in yesterday is utterly ridiculous.

So it's not like they don't have a point.

There is a similar argument of having facebook replace the idea of message boards for some things (Anime cons are removing their message boards in favor of facebook which is leading to a lot of disappointed parties.) A general specific thread per 'topic' or 'show' leads to several pages of abyss and confusion whenn all you wanted to do was discuss pros and cons of Luffy being rubbery.

AlLa: I wasn't even around when chat rooms were an issue. I did however see gaps between the RP thread goers, the artsy people, the videomgamers, the PRP posters, the modsquad, and new members. I post everywhere, but very few others do that. I guess seperation here isn't gonna hurt, but I would like it better if we were all friends talking together.

Yeah, but forcing social interactions never goes over well.

I also don't think you were around to see how much cross-forum posting went on. I was here just before we all started doing real life things that required us to not be monitoring the boards every minute of every day, and you better believe people posted everywhere. But they had interests everywhere then.

I wouldn't be surprised if he already is a mod.  It could totally be Adam in disguise doing his annual check up. Though it could also be Boo in disguise, but that would be too normal.

Edited by CaNz

In an ideal world I think it would be good to have all the separate forums back (separate forums for separate franchises and such). But our activity started to decline long before forums started to be merged. One reason for merging forums was because numerous sub-forums were dying, or had been effectively dead for weeks or months. So the decline in activity definitely pre-dated any merging, and not the other way around.

The problem has always been bigger than that; we got to a point where we still had a lot of new people "coming in the door", but not staying around. We went stagnant, then fell into decline. And now, OB is probably sitting at the bottom somewhere - I am confidently guessing that this is its lowest level of activity in its entire history, even before it was an independent entity with its own ".com" address.

The big question is whether or not activity could be generated here again and we could see growth. Without some really big commitment and major change, I don't think that could happen. The commitment could be there, but I doubt the appetite for change is.

theOtaku.com/forums was probably the true golden age.

Also it's really terrible to have a new Digimon series coming out with OB as it is. There must be a future for this site, for where else will I be able to discuss Mimi's new hairstyle?

- Shy

• 2 months later...

It's truly amazing this site is still around... While I don't post on message boards, I on a whim decided to check to see if any of the places I used to post are still around... Low and behold OB is the last board standing for me.

It's crazy to think that I joined here in 2002 and last posted in 2007!

My mind is blown right now...

It's truly amazing this site is still around... While I don't post on message boards, I on a whim decided to check to see if any of the places I used to post are still around... Low and behold OB is the last board standing for me.

It's crazy to think that I joined here in 2002 and last posted in 2007!

My mind is blown right now...

Even without a full return to our former glory, it's moments like this that make me really happy this place is still here.

Even without a full return to our former glory, it's moments like this that make me really happy this place is still here.

Same...out of all my other teenager hang outs, (Not sure if runescape should count) this is the only one still standing. I may not post here often but I am very protective of this place and forever will cling to it. Too many memories.

You know what, James-sock? I haven't talked to you in quite a long time.  Do you still use AIM, or have you moved on to better and brighter futures these days?

Also I don't care if this should be kept to a PM.  Weeks go by without posts on the entire boards, what are you going to do to me?  Fire me?  Been there, got the t-shirt, lol

I was looking through some very old bookmarks, found one for OB and decided, "what the hell, I'll see what's happened to it."

I remember the Digimon forum so well, and a lot of the shenanigans that went on. Hell, I even have some posts saved as word docs - mostly things like Cera's tribute to the show as it was ending and stuff like that. Every time I think about the new series, I find my fondness intertwined with my memories of OtakuBoards - the good, the bad, and the dramatic. ^_~

Glad to see this place still alive, though. :)

(My only questions is how can I do a custom text color - mine was always hex code #9933FF, and this is not it! Although, I can't believe I REMEMBER the hex code!)

Edit: By the way, I'm pretty sure I remember a time when Allamorph was a new member. ;) Unless I'm confusing you with someone else. Did you ever have a different username?

Edited by Roxie Faye