OtakuBoards

New Version

Petie

So, in case it wasn't obvious, I updated the forum software today. We were running the 3.x series before and we're now on version 4. There are obviously some visual changes that need to be made but, for the most part, it looks like the upgrade went well. As always, let me know if you notice anything out of place though.

If you're having trouble logging in, try using your email address or whatever you had your display name set to before as the conversion set your usernames to your display names from the previous version.

Edited by Petie

This is much better I think. It needs a bit of design/skinning, but the actual layout looks much better. Plus, it seems to be more useable now...I had real issues on my browser with the previous version.

Looks nice and clean, and commenting looks good.

Nice one, Petie. :P

This wasn't a planned upgrade for me. I went to download the latest 3.x patch and found 4.0 was now available and figured I'd give it a shot. While I'm generally happy with the results, it didn't exactly handle the upgrade as well as I'd have liked. It broke some images and turned display names into usernames (though admittedly it did warn me about this one but suggested leaving the default so as not to confuse who was who after the fact). It seems to have an entirely different structure so I'm tempted to actually back everything up, upload a completely fresh copy, and then copy back what's still needed (like the uploads folder) to clean it up a bit but I'm not sure about that yet.

On the matter of skinning, it seems to be completely ignoring the fact that there were other themes even installed and I also can't tell if they've completely ditched BB code to switch to raw HTML instead so there's definitely still a bit to do.

Don't mind me, by the by, I was just being absurd.  It was just a very abrupt change, is all.

I do very much like how it automatically separates the unread posts from the previously viewed posts with that little blue line.  That's clever, and a lot cleaner than one might expect.

I would like the full size avatar back, though.  The porthole image is nice and clean and modern and chic, but I'd rather have the full monty, as it were.

Oh, and is there a straight WSYWIG post creator/editor mode, or do we just have the current postbox as is?  I noticed the new super-/subscript buttons and I like muery much but the thought does go tickly in the back of my brain bucket.

Look forward to seeing what the rest of it can do.

This wasn't a planned upgrade for me. I went to download the latest 3.x patch and found 4.0 was now available and figured I'd give it a shot. While I'm generally happy with the results, it didn't exactly handle the upgrade as well as I'd have liked. It broke some images and turned display names into usernames (though admittedly it did warn me about this one but suggested leaving the default so as not to confuse who was who after the fact). It seems to have an entirely different structure so I'm tempted to actually back everything up, upload a completely fresh copy, and then copy back what's still needed (like the uploads folder) to clean it up a bit but I'm not sure about that yet.

On the matter of skinning, it seems to be completely ignoring the fact that there were other themes even installed and I also can't tell if they've completely ditched BB code to switch to raw HTML instead so there's definitely still a bit to do.

Fair enough. I think that the result (from what I've seen) is better overall. The gain is a much improved functionality I think.

Also, I know this is just the generic default skin...but I think it's better than the ones we had. We didn't have an in-house designed skin since v7.

Even with the tasks left to go, you've done a good job Petie. I don't know how much easier the upgrade process is these days, but I remember that it used to take a long time and there was a lot to clean up manually.

So, there's a tiny chance that I did something stupid and accidentally imported the backup database over the live one instead of into a separate set of tables. I restored the live version from the most recent backup (6 PM EST) which means we lost like 4 posts but otherwise, everything is good.

Allamorph, I know you mentioned an issue with line spacing. This new editor translates text directly into HTML instead of using BB code and treats carriage returns as paragraph tags. You can still do single line breaks by using Shift + Enter though. (My previous explanation was probably a little better but I don't remember exactly what I said.)

• 1 month later...

The forums look very, clean, sterile. It has a certain Windows 8 charm, the only thing I'd suggest is making the header Century Gothic, with the second word bold, you know, for old times sake. :D
I'd actually really like to see and old school logo, big, bold, with all the links upon it and an anime character or two... 

I can't type in crimson, the color tags fail me! :O

Edited by Kuja

• 2 months later...

The forums look very, clean, sterile. It has a certain Windows 8 charm, the only thing I'd suggest is making the header Century Gothic, with the second word bold, you know, for old times sake. :D
I'd actually really like to see and old school logo, big, bold, with all the links upon it and an anime character or two... 

I can't type in crimson, the color tags fail me! :O

I miss the old headers, yeah. :(

We never got the chance to implement the next "true" version of OtakuBoards (I've attached a sample of the design below). It's so old now, haha. But it was being actively designed at one stage.

OB_Revolution_Sample.jpg

Edited by Ingsoc

• 1 month later...

It's a shame that version never saw the light of day because that design  is certifiably badass. 

Thanks! I haven't done any graphic design for a long time though. OB kind of forced me to keep my knowledge up in that area. Now I'm way behind.