Ravenstorture Posted April 19, 2002 Posted April 19, 2002 So, what is your opinion of subcultures? Do you belong to one, or do you frown on them? Is mainstream your scene, or do you shy from conformity and everyday society? Otaku seems like a pretty subculture orientated place, many many people openly suggesting (or even admitting) that they are crazy or wierd. I love this place, because I am crazy AND wierd. So tell me what you think...
Guest cloricus Posted April 19, 2002 Posted April 19, 2002 [quote]So, what is your opinion of subcultures? Do you belong to one, or do you frown on them? Is mainstream your scene, or do you shy from conformity and everyday society? Otaku seems like a pretty subculture orientated place, many many people openly suggesting (or even admitting) that they are crazy or wierd. I love this place, because I am crazy AND wierd. So tell me what you think...[/quote] I think the same thing (and I'm not following you around here.) I would just take outcast weird not very crazy (most of the time) and anti-social. :):drunk:
liamc2 Posted April 19, 2002 Posted April 19, 2002 crazy? in on word? trumboneswallowinginmaysometimesoonyesnowAHAHAHA! *cough* ^^; ------- mhm. .as you would know I have been here for a while now and you could say I belong to the RPG subculture. .o__O the obsessed RPG subculture. .I mean. .who else would do a 700word report on online RPGing at otaku :drunk:
Charles Posted April 19, 2002 Posted April 19, 2002 Hey now, I can proudly say that there are aboslutely no crazy people here on the otakuboards. Especially, none that brag about it, lol.
Flash Posted April 19, 2002 Posted April 19, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i] [B]Hey now, I can proudly say that there are aboslutely no crazy people here on the otakuboards. Especially, none that brag about it, lol. [/B][/QUOTE] Have I mentioned how insanely crazy I am? And proud, too! Subculture? Meh... I dunno. At School I'm always hanging out with people, messin' around and stuff.. But at home, I'm nearly always on my lonesome... So, uhh... I guess I don't really fall into any category in the subcultures column... Or something..
Spikey Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 I am just plain weird. I must admit that I am weird. I think everyone here is weird, in some way. :drunk:
PiroMunkie Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 Well, I've said it before but maybe not all at once. I'm freakin' proud of who I am and what I've become. No one can tell me otherwise. I'm not proud of me in an arrogant way though. It's just that I am happy with myself. There's nothing about me I would want to change, cause then I just wouldn't be me. People can try and put me down by calling me what names they may. Most of the time I'll agree with them, just because: 1) I admit to it cause if they call me weird, I'm not going to deny what I am, 2) to avoid unneccesary confrontation. I hate people. A person is nice, but people as a whole are just dumb. Thus my anti-social tendencies. I don't really label myself as anything cause I prefer not to. So categorizing myself in a 'subculture' is something I don't really do. I'm too apathetic to care about what I belong to. Who I am will determine what 'crowd' I get involved with. I'm not going to shun people just because of who they are and what 'crowd' they may belong to. I'll shun them because I don't agree with who they are or what they do. If they conflict with who I am then I prefer not to know them, which is why I don't make friends with people who do drugs, or those people who have sex 24/7, or anyone else like that. I'm not saying just because (for example) since I listen to punk/hardcore/metal/alternative stuff, I'm not going to push someone away just because they may prefer techno, or rap or whatever. Will I frown on that aspect? A little bit, but not enough to make me think less of them. . . . . . I have no idea what I just said... But I think it made sense. :stupid:
BabyGirl Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 [color=deeppink]I don't think I could categorize myself into a subculture...I think the whole idea of "subcultures" is rather silly. I like Piro's reply...it basically sums up what I have to say. I think people who lable themselves are just trying too hard to fit into a certain "group", though that is merely an opinion. If I absolutely HAD to put myself into a "group", it'd be a floater...since I have many friends from all different groups. I DO claim to be a nerd, but that is merely poking fun at the fact I like a lot of nerdy things, which is a stereotype in itself since people look at me for the first time and say "Oh, [i]there's[/i] a stuck up *****," when really I am nothing [i]near[/i] that. Hehe, my brain can't think right now...perhaps I shall explain it better later :)[/color]
DeathKnight Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 [color=crimson]My personaility is compltely Gothic, but I dont dress Gothic.... But I am usually told I am Gothic... -Ken[/color]
MarkM Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 Im one of the people that know theyer the same as everyone else and im not ashmed of it i know i am and that is all there is to it!
The Darkness Bu Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 I think everybody in the world got a little crazy in them And evil too rise evil rise!!! MUHAWHAW see
Guest Voodookanaka Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 mainstreamers are boring and all the same, sub-cultures are full of hypocrits, outsiders are generally psycho and go crazy and kill everyone.....im more of a vetinari for anyone out there who understands.
Guest Matt Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i] [B][color=deeppink] I DO claim to be a nerd, but that is merely poking fun at the fact I like a lot of nerdy things[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [color=red][b]That's like me. I'm not a nerd, but I like nerdy things. Like most people would consider [b][u][i]STAR WARS[/i][/u][/b] nerdy, but they should burn in hell. :devil: [/b][/color]
Avalon Posted April 29, 2002 Posted April 29, 2002 Well personally I can say that I'm an outcast...not because I put myself in this group, but because people put me in that group...Dark, absolutely! Why wouldn't I be?!
Fall Posted May 3, 2002 Posted May 3, 2002 I'm completely confused here, I don't exactly know what a subculture is, as I don't understand your first post.... Though I can tell you I'm shy, very very very shy..... with most people, apart from the people I know. And especially with the girls.... :blush:
Ravenstorture Posted May 3, 2002 Author Posted May 3, 2002 A subculture is a group of people with similar tastes. That's my definition, anyway.
Kei Posted May 3, 2002 Posted May 3, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ravenstorture [/i] [B]A subculture is a group of people with similar tastes. That's my definition, anyway. [/B][/QUOTE] That's about right. I myself am an outsider. I don't like to talk to anyone I don't have to. Mostly because the kids at my school aren't exactly friendly. Basically, you come in with the friends you had in middle school, and if you don't have any, oh well. God, I hate it here.
Lady Macaiodh Posted May 4, 2002 Posted May 4, 2002 [COLOR=darkblue]mostly, i've been called "punk" but i'm too much of a hippie to be punk. let's just say i'm in "transition" right now. i'm not anything, really.[/COLOR]
phoenixflames Posted May 4, 2002 Posted May 4, 2002 I don't know what I'm classified as other than a crazy-insane-Oregonian-who-shouldn't-be-attending-Harvard-but-is-and-is graduating-Valedictorian type-person. Can you tell that I'm a little hyphen happy?:help:
Kinetic Posted May 4, 2002 Posted May 4, 2002 Lol, I'm all at once yet none at all. I'm usually an outcast at school, but with close friends I'm crazy. Other than that, I'm usually dark and morose.
Delian Posted May 4, 2002 Posted May 4, 2002 I'd have to say that, i'm just myself. I don't try hard to fit in anywhere or place myself in any subculture or whatever you call it. Different people see me in different ways. I don't try hard to impress, and i'm very happy and proud of the way I am.
Ravenstorture Posted May 4, 2002 Author Posted May 4, 2002 I seem to find that when I am myself I tend to be stereotyped. That's really annoying, because people are just catagorising you because of what they think of [I]other[/I] people who are a bit like you, and not what they think of you. People don't even look at me anymore, as they already have an image of what I [I]should[/I] look like.
James Posted May 4, 2002 Posted May 4, 2002 [color=royalblue]Even though we get a lot of people "spilling their guts" here...and others always say how bad it is, in some ways, it's a good sign. I mean, people feel that they can open up here without being judged. And when they can't talk to their own family or friends about something, it might help to talk to people in a situation where they're not going to judge you... So in some ways, the whole "subculture" thing isn't so bad. We're all different...we've all had different experiences and because the Internet is pretty anonymous, we can talk more openly here than we could in "real life". So for some it's a benefit.[/color]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now