OtakuBoards

Silly Teens, Nick is for Kids...

Shy

[color=darkblue][size=1]Anyone who has been a long time fan of the cable channel "Nickelodeon" realizes that some massive changes have come along in the past few years. When I was young, the only cartoons on Nick were "Inspector Gadget" or "Looney Tunes"; but now they show "Nick Toons" 90 percent of the time. Good shows like "Clarissa Explains it All" or "You Can't Do That On Television" are long gone, which kind of makes me mad...

So anyway, I was watching some cartoon on Nick "As Told By Ginger" and they were talking about the main character having her period; [b]a girl was talking about having her period... on Nickelodeon![/b]

This completely shocked me, since when did this kind of stuff classify as "children's entertainment" ? These kids shows are getting way too mature for their own good. No six year old needs to understand what a period is, they didn't talk about this kind of stuff when I was that age. On others series it is just as bad, the fourth graders of "Hey Arnold" have boyfriends and girlfriends already, what kind of message is this sending to kids? Shouldn't children's shows be about talking hamsters, or smurfs or something? Or am I just overreacting...?[/color][/size]

[color=red][b]I totally agree with you. They are portraying(sp?) teenagers with teenage problems on a kids tv channel (ie periods). Or, they are portraying(sp?) kids with teenage problems (ie. 4th grade boyfriend/girlfriend). Most the people who watch the show still believe in cooties, and are around infant age (Nick Jr.) to 12. No 12 year old should have to worry about periods(girls, if i am wrong, i am sorry). I liked the good old shows like old scholl "All That", "Alex Mack", and "Are you Afriad of the Dark?". Nickelodeon has really changed. For the worse I fear. I also wonder how many parents want their 7 year old to be asking them what a period is because someone on Nickelodeon was taling about it...[/b][/color]

But isn't as told by ginger on teen nick? *shrugs*
Anyways, yeah, they shouldn't play that on nickolodeon....
The older shows were better, now, the new all that is so lame and corny, who cares about the amanda show? (I know becuz my sis still watches it 24/7...(no cartoon network for toonami) )
and goten, I know many ppl (even myself) that has known about it since age 11. and... I think older shows like shelby woo?, alex mack, etc... are alot better, the newer ones.... *shudders*

[size=1][color=red]I didn't like Shelby Woo. Anyway, back on subject. It's not just Nickeloden that airs more mature shows for little kids; heck it's not just television! If you look around you, which I'm pretty sure you have, little kids are being exposed to things that they shouldn't be. At movie theater, I saw an eight year old girl, in a Britney Spears halter top, flirting with someone, I would say, who looked double her age.

I say that we should just beat Prime Time into a pulp and grab a book. :D[/size][/color]

[COLOR=blue][SIZE=1]I myslef grew up a fan of GUTs,Doug,Rugrats,Are You afraid of the Dark, Shelby Woo, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Clarisa Explain's it all, All That,Kenan and Kel,Hey Arnold,ect. And every once in a while I will turn it on to watch some Rocket Power and THe Fairly Odd Parents. I recently turned it on and watched this show called Pellswich now the title sounds innocent enough but I soon found out that Pellswhich can not move his legs and has to use a wheel chair!?Kids shouldn't have to worry about issue's in the news they should like playing and after watching Nick they should wanna play some more not be depressed. They also sould definately not learn the facts of life from a cartoon. Oh and I noticed you guyz mentioning 4th grader's with girlfriends on Hey Arnold but I remember a show called doug were a kid was infatuated with a Patty Mayonaise so this is nothing new to the station. If you want to see old classic's like the one's I listed at the top watch Nick 2 and the other Nick channels they show repeats of Pete and Pete and a lot of classic shows.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=crimson][size=1]I was a kid who watched Nick when she was a kid, but that was until Cartoon Network was created. But anyway, all the shows on Nick are dumb to me. Like Shyguy said, all the old shows that we so good, like all the original Snick shows, especially Are You Afraid of the Dark are gone and the quality of TV will never be the same anymore. The innocence and stuff that was on TV will NEVER be there again because today's society is just accepting more and more stuff. By the time our kids are watching Nick, there will be cartoons where second graders are having sex and it will totally accepted and nothing else thought of it. It's so pathetic.[/color][/size]

Guest Matt
[color=red][b]I just remembered "AHHH!!! Real Monsters!" That was a good show. Too bad it isn't on anymore....[/b][/color]

Guest Imsirion
Nick sucks big time. The only good shows were Nick Arcade, Global Guts, Legends of the Hidden Temple,Wild and Crazy Kids, What Would you do?, Camp Anawana ( I have no clue of how to spell it),and Are you afraid of the Dark. I hate Nick so much that I blocked off my TV just to avoid catch a glimpse of it has i flip through the channels.

The new shows don't have that old nicklodeon feeling anymore... maybe it's just us.... well, anyways, mist, ya have a good point. LOL, yeah, one time when I was babysitting, I asked what the lil girl wanted to watch,.... she said, mtv (she was like, five). She said that her fav song was eminem-without me.... (she almost knew the whole rap) and we ended up arguing over the fact that she wanted to watch undercover brother, when I was supposed to take her to scooby doo.... okay, this girl is five. She knew the eminem rap.... whoa... ppl these days.....

Ahhhhhh nick when it wasn't crap!!!I remember all those shows good shows not like todays nick it's all crap except invader zim thats a cool show!!But i've noticed how nickolodeon doesn't have the same felling anymore!!Does anybody remember stick wrigly in tha summer now that's what made my summer cool!!:laugh:

[COLOR=blue][SIZE=1]She is Five and like's Eminem...I betshe doesn't know some of the...ruder lyric's in the uncensored vesion. I really hope her parents do not ge her the CD for her birthday or for Christmas, cause his lyric's are not what a 5 year old should be exposed to. I have seen as Told by Ginger and I thouht it was an okay show but it should be on another network maybe Fox Family after Brace Face (another show kinda like As Told By Ginger) but I do not think little kids shold have this as their favorite show at a young age maybe an 11 year old but not a 7 years old.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=royalblue]Ahh Shyguy...what are you, a Republican? Getting a little old and wrinkly?

Heh, some kids have periods at the age of 12 or younger. So I don't think it's like they are promoting abortion or something...I mean, c'mon...how much more tightassed are we going to get when it comes to media/television.

Anyway...I like Nick for two reasons: Ren & Stimpy and Invader Zim. ;)

I think I need coffee.[/color]

I don't like ren and stimpy on nick cause alot of stuff was cut out from when it was on mtv. But i do like invader zim and i used to like rocos modern life. That was great. Heh with how nick is going bevis and buthead will prolly be next on their list of shows :lol:

Guest Matt
[color=red][b]I loved Ren & Stimpy. But I liked it on mtv better. And Rocko's Modern Life. Classic.[/b][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]Ahh Shyguy...what are you, a Republican? Getting a little old and wrinkly?[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]The worst part is, this isn't the first time I have been accused of being a Republican. *sighs*

Yeah, in my "formative years" I was exposed to some bad stuff... I really don't want to get into it. But I do think that six and seven year olds should not be exposed to that kind of stuff. My opinion is that children's shows should have less mature storylines, oh well...

Yes, Invader Zim is the best cartoon Nick has had since Rocko's Modern Life.[/color][/size]

Nickelodeon's two best shows according to the audience is Spongebob Squarepants and Hey Arnold, I think. I personally hate Spongebob and I don't hate Hey Arnold, but I think it's stupid, too.

I agree with Shyguy absolutely! Invader Zim is the best show Nick has had since Rocko's Modern Life. Now that was a good show.

They've cancled all the good shows, haven't they? Rocko's Modern Life, Ah! Real Monsters, The Angry beavers, etc. Now they cancled Invader Zim! They think it's too violent for kids. Which gets me wondering. As Told By Ginger is one of they shows many people watch too, (not me!) and if they're talking about having periods, well I guess you can put one and one togother.

And spongebob Squarepants is going to get cancled, because the creator had a 4-year contract, and that's over and done with. (I'm not sure about this, but I heard it in another Message boards)

[color=indigo]I watched a little bit of Nickelodeon these past few days, and I saw things that were just pointless (in my mind). Nick is no longer just Nick anymore. I mean, I was fine with Nick Jr., Nick, then Nick at Night. It generally hit all age groups: Nick Jr. for younger children, Nick for teens and such, and Nick at Night for those with a more classix taste with the shows like "I Love Lucy". But now they have all different forms of it, and I think "Teen Nick" is just stupid. I caught some of that, and it was just... [b]boring[/b]. I don't know what about it was boring, but it just was. There was no point to anything I saw. The only good show on Nick that I find when I flip through channels is SpongeBob Squarepants, lol. Otherwise, I never find anything worth watching on that channel, which is probably why I stick to Disney for children's entertainment.[/color]

Guest Matt
[color=red][b]My dad alway's laughs at me when he walks in the room and I am watching sponge bob. but he always sits down to "see how stupid it is". I think he likes it. lol.[/b][/color]

I too have a special nitch for the Angry Beavers. Daggit was the coolest. I can't comprehend why they'd take off such a great show, lol. I'd rather watch that anyday than watch the new stuff they've got on now (excepting Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents). it sucks how ppl will change something (or someone) that's fairly decent to begin with and turn it into something horrible to try to make it seem 'cool' and 'in style'. blah

The only shows I like on Nick now are : Invader Zim, Kenan and Kel, and Rocket Power.

Yea I guess you are right Shyguy. But, I mean look what they did to cartoon network. Not that I hate it or anything but now they got shows that have cuss words in them. I mean, would you have kids watching that. But, I love it. It has the best shows.

If I had to choose I'd say hey arnold is the best....
I totally don't like spongebob or rocket power. The way they talk is just so... so.... lame.... it sounds really weird when they say words like 'bust!' LOL
Yeah, teen nick????? but it's also noggin.... 'isn't dat connected to nicklodeon somehow??