OtakuBoards

Boards Get?

James

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]Hey, if people are willing to help out in anyway they can...there's got to be something positive about that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yea, I mean Its not liek the people , including me, are demanding were voulentiering, you can have it or not. simple theres no need for fighting...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=indigo]I think IkonBoard would be a great Idea. I have a MyIkonboard(altough there's about a million bugs in the beta version I have, but that ain't the point), and it's quiet similar to IkonBoard. I believe Version one is going to be based, and virtually the same, as iB v3.1.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to it. In the past five minutes I've already told two people about the Shine Get site, and I'm hoping they'll join the message board, too(those people are Lumi and a friend of mine who's into gaming). I know it'll be a great MB (and site)! You might even see me there a couple times(even though I'm not really a gamer).[/color]

A word of caution about IB. I'm not sure if they've done a revamp for 3.1, but IB 3.0 was pretty darn well resource intensive, so if there's going to be as many people on your new Board as this one for example, and as active, you may run into problems, either with bandwidth costs or corruption of the database. I'd be surprised if they've fixed it cos its not really a bug, its just the way they've written it. InvisionBoard is pretty nice. Fast and simple.

But hey, I'm not a techie so wtf would I know? ;)

[color=royalblue]Okay well, to answer Justin's comment -- I've already stated my reasons for a board on that site.

ShineGet.com will not fit into the "Otaku" group of sites, as such.

All of the sites that O3 has produced so far have been revolving around the "Otaku" theme.

This site will be fundamentally different and will be an extension of the network.

There is certainly an argument for directly bringing ShineGet.com visitors to OtakuBoards. But at this point, I feel that if we are able to produce a ShineGet-exclusive community (which is directly gaming related), we can attract more visitors to theOtaku.com and other sites in the network.

The idea here is to have a second, smaller community. ShineGet.com's boards will not be as large as OtakuBoards in terms of features or physical size. It will be more of a niche discussion area, to be focused specifically on what that site is all about.

In time, if the boards become very popular as a standalone boards, then it might be worthwhile for us to "merge" the communities together.

Still, OtakuBoards is a fairly tight-knit community. A massive influx of new members would not necessarily be the best thing for the site.

But this way, we kind of have a buffer -- the most hardcore, gaming-specific fans will probably stay at the other boards, but hopefully, by advertising sites like OtakuBoards and theOtaku.com on ShineGet.com's boards, we can also attract some of these people to OB. And vice versa.

So, I think the main issue is that ShineGet.com is not what we have done before. It's not a traditional "Otaku site" in that sense. It is something entirely new and fairly niche, as it doesn't cater to a very wide audience...only a fairly specific audience.

Still, it all depends. If the boards are a total flop, I will probably just divert visitors to OtakuBoards instead. A lot is dependant on the visitor base.[/color]

Guest Solid Snake
[color=teal]I may be able to help you to a degree on the boards.

I say this because I have a somewhat high knowledge of IkonBoards, myself, of when I used to have my own ib forums. I know how to create skins, upload avatars and such, work with the coding, and may learn how to hack it if I can get my friend to teach me.

I think that it would be great for Shine Get to have their own message boards. I still believe InvisionBoard is better, but it is your choice, isn't it?

This will indeed attract the gaming members from out of their hiding, and perhaps to OtakuBoards of which we surely need. I do think that this site will be a major success James. :)[/color]

:blah:

[color=teal]EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also have experience in image editing, for whatever good that does me. I use both Paint Shop Pro 7, and Photoshop 6.[/color]

You definatly make a very good point James, tons of new members to OtakuBoards, if there was no new boards, may not be so good for "our" Home. But after a while if new members make there way over here or we go there( visa-versa), It could be good...

Cant wait to see the out-come!

[color=teal][size=1]Personally, I think that two different boards would be a bit much. And if drawing more members is what you want, then wouldn't it be a [i]lot[/i] easier to just set up a link to theOtaku site?

--Mike[/color][/size]

it sounds like a good idea, and would probably work. let me know if i can help in anyway. I am fairly good with graphics. So, I coudl probably help with banners, making avs, and such. I haven't tried skins at all, or hacks** still wonders what they are, because he's a moron**

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]

In time, if the boards become very popular as a standalone boards, then it might be worthwhile for us to "merge" the communities together.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Thoroughly evil mister James :rolleyes:

*can imagine James doing a Mr Burns 'excellent' after that*

[B][color=royalblue]
Still, OtakuBoards is a fairly tight-knit community. A massive influx of new members would not necessarily be the best thing for the site.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

As it is new members are not the best for otakuboards. .atleast new members with massive inferiority complexes(but I won't press that any further. . .)

Well I like the idea of a fresh set of boards, that way we can bounce to one when the Administrators decide to tweak or change the other :)

Well done Mister James, well done

As has been said, Ikonboard is very resource intensive. I do not advise it. I ran an Ikonboard for about 2 months, and eventually had to switch to a different software because of the amount of resources it used. Its very slow, and can be a headache. However, Ibforums (now called Invision Board), would be a much better choice. It's based on PHP and MySQL, hence much faster. I co-administrate an Ibforums board at [url]http://www.aquatiqterrors.com[/url] (a fish enthusiast site), and have written many hacks for it at [url]http://www.ibresource.com[/url] . The code is much easier to understand, and not as messy as Perl. Also, it is completely free. I do not recommened going with Wbb, as their 2.0 version is not going to be free (last time I checked). The user base of Ibforums is very much higher than that of Ikonboard, and it continues to grow. The writer of Ibforums just happens to be the same person who wrote Ikonboard, so you aren't going to be missing any features.

Good luck with the site!

Guest cloricus
I think that is a good idea, otakuboards is not know for gaming it's known for anime so haveing a boards dedicated to gameing would be good. I take it you would move the rpg section over?

I would like to help on anything to do with building the site and (lol) put my hand up for mod.

-Cloricus

Well I would like to.....But im to buisey being a Mod at the gamerz-fourms(for link look at sig) (there i Moderater about 7 foums) anywhoIt takesalot of work. But james you can bet that I ill be a member at Shine Get .Com .

Yes James, great idea indeed. I think that i could be most useful in the depertment of Graphic works, Wallpapers, or any kind of Banner or Grapic basically. Im also interested in posting News Updates for whatever you may need. Im a good writer too. I'm just giving you some of my capabilities, you told me to fire away after all. So if you need help of any kind id be quite glad to help out.

[color=royalblue]Okay guys...thanks for all the input.

ShineGet is going a little slow right now, but progress is still being made. I won't put up the site unless it's really ready.

I'll probably start thinking more seriously about a forum next month. So, once again...thanks for everyone's input.[/color]

[color=royalblue][i]If[/i] those boards go up...nope. OtakuBoards will remain its own entity and nothing will be changed or removed.

Remember; this new site is not an Otaku site. It is essentially a completely different project, under the umbrella of the current network.

So if a boards is produced, there won't be any cross over or any direct link, in terms of content and stuff.

But anyway...I've taken all the suggestions into account. I'll probably start thinking about them again when the site is up.[/color]

[B][color=royalblue][i]If[/i] those boards go up...nope. OtakuBoards will remain its own entity and nothing will be changed or removed.

Remember; this new site is not an Otaku site. It is essentially a completely different project, under the umbrella of the current network.

So if a boards is produced, there won't be any cross over or any direct link, in terms of content and stuff.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE].....my head hurts....

Eh, just wondering.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by \¤~NoodleZ~¤/ [/i]
[B][size=1]

Yes, think about an invasion of newbies. All the spam and double posting it would be a living nightmare. But I am just thinking on the bad side.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

we will rise up and take what is rightfully ours!! Macaroni!
I agree more people more work, im just getting to know people myself, i say we have an entrance exam.....