OtakuBoards

Boards Get?

James

[color=royalblue]I'm still a little bit unsure about the following...so I thought I'd post a general thread here, rather than actually create an announcement.

Basically, I'm considering launching an all-new boards exclusively for ShineGet.com.

There are several reasons for this. First, it is very inefficient to simply clone OtakuBoards. Having two seperate vBs on our server would simply take up too much bandwidth. There are also various technical problems that could be encountered with that kind of arrangement.

Second, even though ShineGet.com will be owned and operated by O3Online, the primary aim will be to encourage new visitors to the network. So, the site will most likely initially rely on visitors from the current community...but in time, the aim is to attract new, non-anime visitors to O3Online (who will also hopefully be attracted to sites like OtakuArtist and OtakuBoards).

Currently, I'm considering going with Ikonboard. Why? Because it's very easy to customize...and I can build a really awesome Shine Get skin from scratch for it. Plus, most people here are familiar with the operation of iB code and such (it's quite similar to vB).

So basically, I'm partly looking for a few people who might be interested in working on the boards with me (adding hacks, dealing with some installation issues, adding skins etc etc).

I'm also wondering what people think about Shine Get having its own boards (even though many of you don't know the specific details of ShineGet.com -- though it doesn't really matter).

So, yeah. A fairly general thread...but I wanted to put it here now just to gauge the response. Depending on what people say (and depending on the enthusiasm), I'll either source some tech people from outside the OB community...or I won't produce any new boards at all.

So, fire away. :)[/color]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=darkblue]
I think that it might be a good idea, but I'm not sure. Two boards would be hard to handle, and I'm sure it would get attention from most of OB, making it large, but I'm not sure. I don't know anything about VB hacks, and my knowledge with boards doesn't advance beyone proboards, so I can't help you there, but yeah, I think it will be good. Will you still be admin on those boards? Just wondering, since you're resiging here, and we'll be sure you won't leave :p
[/color]

[color=blue]I think it would be a great idea, James. Like you said, it may attract more people the various Otaku sites, and mean more members here. I've never really been on an Ikonboard site before, but if the iB code is mch like vB, I'm sure it'll be cool. All in all, I'm for it.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Aries [/i]
[B][color=darkblue]
IWill you still be admin on those boards? Just wondering, since you're resiging here, and we'll be sure you won't leave :p
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yes, I'll be an admin on those boards.

I will remain the active admin on OtakuBoards until someone suitable is found to work alongside me. Unfortunately, I haven't really found anyone suitable just yet.

Shine Get is kind of a recent thing. So by working on that site, my time with O3Online as a network is probably going to extend longer than I thought.

And I had mentioned to staff that I'd be "retiring" from OB well before the concept of ShineGet.com came about.

So, having said that, once a replacement is found for OB...I will probably remain an admin here, but more in the capacity that Adam is -- meaning, I won't be actively running the boards anymore, but I'll still be around.

So my situation will become similar to Adam's. He runs theOtaku.com, so doesn't have time for running OB. If I'm running ShineGet.com full time, I will be in a similar situation.

I'm very pleased that so far I have a couple of really great people working with me on ShineGet. So those people may take more of a role in O3's network in the future. Who knows.

Anyway, I'm getting off track a bit much here.

With OB, our gaming sections are less active than anime sections. This is because many of our members join after already being a visitor of theOtaku.com.

So, ShineGet.com will aim to bring in [i]gamers[/i] to the network. Thus, the gaming portion of OB will grow.

And at the same time, ShineGet.com would have its own boards that would continually bring in more people to the community...while also being somewhat independent.

So, I'm still thinking about it. It's a pretty big task (on top of the site itself, which is already a big task). But I'm pretty confident that if I choose to do it, it can be done.

EDIT: I thought I'd add; I [i]will[/i] be looking for Moderators for the boards. And the boards [i]will[/i] use the exact same rules as OB, given that they are both a part of the same parent network.

I do not know if I want 100% of the Mods to be people who currently mod at OB. The main reason is because most mods here already moderate other boards and I don't want to further strain their time.

Plus, it's always good to open the floor to new Moderators.

Ultimately, it'll probably be a combination of both old/new Mods. So for those who aren't Modding here but would like to...you may have a chance yet. lol[/color]

I can help you with The boards,If you like.I am learninh how to Make things on Computers,so I could help you with Pictures,That Kind of Stuff.I know a good chunk of Information On Mario,And I could surf Websites for stuff in case you need something.Of course,What chances do I have to Be a mod for something?:bluesweat: I'm just excitedfor ShineGet;)

[color=royalblue]Well, if you're good at pictures...ShineGet.com will have an area for fan submissions and such. So don't worry; everyone will get a chance to contribute. :)

As for being a mod...I need to wait until the boards are actually running (and the site has to be running first and foremost) before I start considering mods. [/color]

It sounds solid to me.

The only question I have is that I don't quite understand why we can't just plug the Shine Get visitors into OtakuBoards. I can see soem reasons, but I just wonder if your reasons are different...or something.

-Justin

James has his reason's Justin. Besides, he explained it earlyer. it's to attract new people to a non-anime site, and eventually draw them to OtakuBoards in one well devised Scheme. :)

But, you can count me in. (James, come on ICQ sometime when you can.)

James, I said it before, and I'll say it again. You've gone off the deep end on this one...O-o;;;

But by all means, carry on. Who here isn't off the deep end? ;P

But have you ever though about WBB boards? I have one (I can send it your way if you want it for free :)), and it runs on PHP, so it'll be faster than an iB's CGI. If you want to know what a WBB looks like, just go to BnG's forums.

Also, InvisionBoards are similar to iBs and also run on PHP I believe. I THINK it's free, but I'm not too sure.

Anyway, what'll ShineGet.com revolve around? I'm assuming Gaming.

Shine Get! is what Super Mario Sunshine says when Mario finds an item called a shine. It's coming out on GC later this month.

I see Justin's point, and I agree with him. I certainly think it would help increase the readership here... and would probably liven up the game sections a lot. At the same time, it would probably bring in a million Nintendo fanboys that you are probably better off without anyway :).

[color=darkblue]
I agree with Neil about IB, it is really slow, and I wouldn't really reccommend (sp?) it. I think YaBB, WBB (although, I've never heard of it, he says it's good), or something else would be better.
[/color]

[color=darkblue][size=1]if you make Shine Get its own boards, then why not do the same for Otaku Artist and Otaku Poetry? Perhaps they could each have their own seperate boards (using the same software as we do here) there could be a small family of message boards.

Also if they were using the same software. That way they members wouldn't have to re-register for Shine Boards (I like that name.)

Our little Otaku Boards are going to be split into pieces... so sad....[/color][/size]

[color=darkblue]
I like that idea. I don't know how popular each board would be, and it would be alot to handle, but using the same software is a good idea, I think, because I know that I myself hate registering at places, especially ones on the same network, because alot of places send me junk-mail -.-;; I wouldn't mind re-registering, but I like the idea of using the same software.
[/color]

[color=indigo]I'm all for it, in opinion. I don't know much about gaming or anything, but I like the idea of it. So you have my support and back-up on it. If you ever need any kind of help on it, feel free to drop me a line, and I'll see if I can do anything (be aware my knowledge is limited, lol). It would definitley give me something to do with all this time on my hands. Though I do have my junior year coming up, and I hear that's the hardest year. We'll see how that goes.

As for the whole "moderating" deal. If you don't get a lot of help in that department, again, I'm very available. Just have to remember I'm not too knowledgable with gaming. The most I could do is mostly what I like to call "janitorial" work (cleaning up posts, closing, deleting... you know the drill).

Anyway, sounds like a great idea. If/when it comes, I will be sure to check it out. This whole "Get!" thing intrigues me, lol. Always been a fan of Mario. :)[/color]

[color=blue][size=1] I dont know about the ShineGet boards. I think the site is a great idea but boards? There was a suggestion about a Mario section here at OB but I know you said that you were working on ShineGet, which will resolve around mario right?

On the other hand I beleive that another bunch of boards would attract attention and new visitors to our little OtakuBoards!

James, I told Semjaza Azazel that I would be very interested on working on ShineGet.com, but now I am even more interested in being a Mod. at the ShineGetBoards...If your looking I am here![/size][/color]

Might I remind everyone that asking for a position as a Moderator is strictly discriminated? ;P

It's just that some people, who'll remain nameless, are virtually asking James for a spot.

"I'm always open and availible!" is the same as "Yo, make me a mod, I can do it!".

^-^;;;

There are countless people like that. I dont know if they cant undertand but usually, asking for somthing like that is not the best way to go. You can send subliminal messages showing you have what it takes but....ugh... it doesnt work if u go and ask for it...prove yourself, meh.. idont now.. .forget this.. im just agreeing with Neil.

Im guessing that is refering to me, so I'll explain myself......Hmm im not begging im just saying if your looking (::points to james::), which he is....I would love to be one. Im not saying i wouldnt not want to be one, I would love to be one, because im so into mario and gaming. Or that I would be upset if he didnt. Im sure anyone else would feel the same way, right?..nevermind forget it......

Guest SunRiZe
Well, I'd be happy to help with Shine Boards (I like Shyguy's name too :p), I can contribute, graphics, logos, and could mod if need be.