Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
The Super Mario movie was wrong about almost everything they said that mario and luigi were cousins and that there last name was mario and bobombs are not that small tell me what you guys think.
Posted
[color=indigo]Well, I was really little when I saw it, and I don't remember too much, but I can tell you this... I loved watching my brothers play video games when I was little. I loved watching them play games more than pretty much anything else. I loved just about anything related to video games. I would sit and stare at the instruction manuals before I could read, and just look at the artwork. But the Super Mario Bros. move... I was totally bored after the first 15 minutes. I don't remember a whole lot about it, but I do remember wanting it to end, and that it really wasn't all that much like the games at all. I think the thing I remember most about it were the Goombas, which they totally butchered.

Over the last year or so, I've toyed around with the idea of getting some friends together and renting it so that I can fairly judge it myself, and against others' oppinions, but I've never quite been able to bring myself to do it. I'm not sure that I want to do it...[/color]

[color=seagreen]Edit:
Hmm...funky moments... Maybe I will have to rent it afterall. :naughty:[/color]
Posted
[color=royalblue]lil_android...please clean up your post. Try not to talk in one long, continuous sentence. It's really annoying.

As for the SMB movie...it was cool. It certainly had nothing to do with the video games generally...but it was a cool movie in its own right. Sure, the story was corny...but it had some good music and some pretty funky moments. :)[/color]
Posted
It was da ba-bomb but the story needed it's tunning up a bit better but Mario was great anyway. And Luigi was cool too, and wasn't Daisies mother Peach or she isn't even in the storyline whatsoever. Yoshi also looked cool!
Posted
Yea the movie was good but I was just saying it was wrong about some things. No I dont remember hearing about Peach in the movie only about Daisy's father(i dunno what the dads name is). I didnt even see Yoshi at all I guess I missed that part.
Posted
I really liked this movie...I think that I was 6 or 7 when I saw it for the first time in the movies but when it went to VHS, my mom bought it and since then it's been one of my favorites...
Posted
I was hoping most people forgot this thing. It's not a bad movie on its own merits... But man, if you are going to make a movie about a game, at least try to make some things consistant.

Bower being a human was probably the biggest thing wrong with the movie for me... I also didn't really like the fact that goombas were huge stupid guys, but I can't really expect them to make them look like they do in games either lol.
Posted
It would have been better animated. I loved the music, though. I was very annoyed I never got the soundtrack. If it weren't called 'Super Mario Bros', it probably would have been fine. Got to love those Police cars, though. I had the Mario and Luigi figures! They were pretty bad.

I think they swapped Daisy and Peach's names round. After all, Daisy does sound better. The main thing that annoyed me (amongst everything else) was Yoshi. He should have been bigger, more cute (although he was pretty cute in the film) and done more. And I didn't like Luigi that much. Not John Leguizamo's best role...
Posted
John Leguizamo won't even talk about the movie anymore. He totally refuses to lol.

Back then, Peach was still called Princess Toadstool here... So I figure that's why they picked the name Daisy lol.
Posted
Ha! He's in denial. Mind you, I doubt Dennis Hopper or Bob Hoskins (He's English! Would you believe it?) would want to be reminded of it, either.

I loved the end title song. Almost Unreal. Great stuff. Snd the other one. I think it went something like: "Open the door, get on the floor! Everyone do the dinosaur!"

Was she even Princess Toadstool for Super Mario World? I thought she was... something else. I certainly remember the first time I properly saw the pink princess as being Peach was Mario Kart 64.

I wonder what was with that large woman in the red rubber dress who called Mario 'Boogy-buns'. She scared me.
Posted
Man, you remember this movie a little [i]too[/i] well lol. I haven't seen it in like years. Encore shows it a lot on cable though.

And Princess Toadstool first used the word Peach in Mario 64... I guess it began the transition to her finally just having that name instead. I kind of perfer it... But I call Toad Kinopio too, so who knows what's best lol.
Posted
He he... I loved this movie. I had it on video until about three years ago, when I realised I had a brain. It wasn't bad as such, I just grew out of it and couldn't accept the fact that it was supposed to be Mario. I was a sceptic then. I kinda wish I still had it. But it was my favourite film for a good long time. That time is over now. *sniffs* I'll always remember Alan Silvestri's score when they were sliding down frozen tunnels on mattresses...

I wonder if it was really Shigeru Miyamoto appearing at the end. It'd be great if it was. Maybe I'll check... [EDIT] No, he wasn't. Pity. But Lance Henriksen and Dan Castellaneta were! [/EDIT]

Another thing I thought was strange was how Koopa had to bathe in... well, pink mud. It was all very strange.
Posted
Exactly my point almost nothing was like the video games. I saw the movie a couple days ago and saw that the goombas were all wrong, Mario was more afriad to do anything than Luigi(thats a laugh in a half), Yoshi had sharp teeth(not that i care). Also when they showed Bowser's true form it looked nothing like the real Bowser. The princess and Mario are bf and gf(whatever you wanna call them) not Luigi and the princess. Finally, Mario and Luigi do not live in Manhattan they live in the Mushroom Kingdom(says so in Super Mario Sunshine)
Posted
the princess part if you noticed, her name is daisy. in the games, the daisy princess is luigi's peach.in the movie they're cousins? i coulda swore luigi said to daisy at dinner that when their parents died his older bro mario had to take care of him. i personnally liked the movie, lol. i was little as well when it came out in theaters
Posted
[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I liked the movie. It was a bit corny, but hey, did you expect it to be a side scrolling movie where you actually did everything like in the game? lol, though, they did try =)

I liked a lot of the little touches they had throughout the whole movie. It was nice, and I was thinking about getting this movie if I can find it. [/SIZE][/COLOR]
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
ummm if I remember correctly the movie was more like the tv series...I only saw it once or twice and can't remember much about it...but it was a non animated tv series and...I can't remember the rest, but I remember watching the movie and it reminding me of that...they would like hang around in mario's plumbing shop and go down pipes and sometimes cut to some animated scenes X.x;;. ok Ill stop here.
Posted
[color=indigo]You're talking about the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. It was mainly animated cartoons, and then there were the live action parts where they talk and stuff. I've seen a few episodes.[/color]
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Man, the last time I saw a Super Mario Bros. show I was 4 or 5 years old(1994 or 1995). Time does fly, wooo(I would like to have it shown again to bring back memories of when my sister was a sweet and cute little baby, ha not any more).:laugh:
Posted
I seem to remember a fully animated Mario show, based on Super Mario Bros. 3. I only saw one episode, but I still remember it. Luigi was telling Yoshi a bed time story about when Mario and the King were turned into a dog with the wand by the Koopas. Does anyone else remember this show? I heard on one web site that this show still runs sometimes in Japan. I'd like to see it again, because i remembered I was totally enthralled by it(then again, the oldest I could've been was 5) but still, it was pretty cool, considering SMB 3 is my favorite game.
Anyway, about the movie. I did like this movie a little bit, but not much. I actually liked the Wizard better, because when they were at the competition, they had to play SMB3. I remember my mom told me that all these people lined outside the movie theater, just to see the footage of SMB3, since it hadn't come out yet. And I also liked it because of that one kid with the Nintendo Power Glove
"I love the Power Glove....it's so bad"
lmao, that's the most corniest thing I've ever heard
Posted
[color=indigo]Yeah, they did a few seasons of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. When SMB3 came out, they did some episodes with stuff from it, and some with stuff from Super Mario World, too, when it was released. I think they did away with the live action bits for the later episodes, thankfully.

I think Nintendo show do a new series based on Super Mario Sunshine or something.[/color]
Posted
The live action bits left before the SMB3 animation.

I think one of the main reasons why the movie didn't work was because it wasn't animated. You can't do live action cartoons very well. It's the same reasons why the Asterix and Obelix films seem so bad. Like... the jump boots. They could just jump that high already, but you'd need the boots to be able to explain it in terms of 'real world' physics, and each bit of explanation that has to be done, takes away some more of the fun. Like the de-volution of the people into... Goombas. Or what were called Goombas. Mind you, having dinosaur-people seems to make more sense than giant walking mushrooms when not in animation. They seem more threatening, too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...