Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[SIZE=1]Just when you'd thought I'd finally forgotten about it.....Yes, I'm bringing it up yet [i]again.[/i]

[list][b][u]Uses of Strikethough Text I Thought Up Off the Top of My Head, so They May Not All be Exactly Ideal but I'm Sure You Get the Point:[/u][/b]

[bold italics indicate potential strikethrough material]

[*][b]to indicate a change of mind or indecision.[/b] Example: [i]My favorite character is [b]Rei[/b] Asuka.[/i]
[*][b]to indicate sarcasm, humorous or otherwise.[/b] Example: [i]Mitch [b]loves[/b] hates writing.[/i]
[*][b]misspellings[/b]. Example: [i]My favorite food is [b]mostacoli mosteccolli mostacciolli[/b] mostaccioli.[/i]
[*][b]to get Sara to stop asking for it.[/b]
[/list]

[list][b][u]Possible Downsides to Strikethough Text and Reason Why we Should Have the Option Anyway:[/u][/b]

[*][b]Someone's bound to type all their posts with it, and it will be hard to read.[/b] But no less difficult that someone typing in blinding chartreuse green or nearly-invisible silver.
[*][b]It will lead to untold amounts of doublespeak and spam[/b] Maybe for a little while, but when the novelty wears off, it will be fine
[*][b]No one will use it, so what's the point?[/b] I'll use it! And I'm sure other people will too. Just because I'm the only one obsessed enough to crusade for the silly thing on and off for a year and a half doesn't mean no one else would utilize it, were it an option.

Besides, what about options like the LIST function? I mean, no one [i]ever[/i] uses that...
[/list][/SIZE]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]
[list][b][u]Possible Downsides to Strikethough Text and Reason Why we Should Have the Option Anyway:[/u][/b]

[*][b]Someone's bound to type all their posts with it, and it will be hard to read.[/b] But no less difficult that someone typing in blinding chartreuse green or nearly-invisible silver.
[*][b]It will lead to untold amounts of doublespeak and spam[/b] Maybe for a little while, but when the novelty wears off, it will be fine
[*][b]No one will use it, so what's the point?[/b] I'll use it! And I'm sure other people will too. Just because I'm the only one obsessed enough to crusade for the silly thing on and off for a year and a half doesn't mean no one else would utilize it, were it an option. [/list][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Besides, what about options like the LIST function? I mean, no one [i]ever[/i] uses that...[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

*sniffs*

I sense a spirit of sarcasm in the air... no idea why ;)

bleh.. that was thoroughly off-topic, so I'd better comment on the suggestion I guess..

*thumbs up*
Posted
[b][size=1]I think the strikethrough option would be a very fun idea, and may let some people take chance guesses at spelling words that they aren't sure about, although that's what a dictionary/spellcheck is for :)[/b][/size]
Posted
Oh this is another thing. it's kind of simliar....

At another vB board I go to, they have a [spoiler] tag. It makes the text within the tags black font on black background, so you have to hghlight the text to read it. I think that would be a very good addition here.
Posted
[color=indigo]Or, instead of a [spoiler] tag, you could just use a [color=] tag set to white. And yes, there is an option for white, it just isn't in the list on the reply page. You have to write in the "white" part after the equal sign in the [color=] tag.[/color] [color=white](Like this, see?)[/color] [color=indigo]And besides, what if someone isn't using the normal black font? What if, like me, they use indigo or one of the other colors? The text would still show up, making the tag useless. It just seems like it'd be easier for people to use a [color=] tag instead of making a totally new tag.

Lol...funny that I just happened to mention to James a couple days ago about how I was wondering if Sara still wanted a strikethrough tag... While I probably wouldn't use it much, I do use it occasionally in things like MS Word, so I might end up using it sometime or other. I don't see how it could really hurt any more than a lot of the other style tags, though.[/color]
Posted
I dont have words >.<


I say: do it *all three thumbs up*
More will use it than "list" for sure, so why have a list and no strikethrough option?
Posted
[color=#507AAC][size=1]Well, I can only repeat what I've said all along.

Were I able to do it, I'd give you a strikethrough option right now. But I can't. I have to rely on Shift to get the job done; and about half of our "to do" list is still incomplete.

The wait continues. ^.^;;[/color][/size]
Posted
It doesn't matter what color someone is normally using with the [spoiler] tag, as it [i]forces[/i] the color like I said. Why would they make a tag that could be so easily overridden by a basic option?

The problem with white on whtie is that you won't even see it's there. The spoiler tag makes a big black box and is very obvious.
Posted
To not spoil things? lol It happens a lot in the game forums, and I don't think pressing enter a few times helps. I've already had many games and movies ruined for me at other forums (not as many here) because someone doesn't bother to leave space, or doesn't think it's a big deal since they know.

Apparently this idea is crazy, so nevermind lol.
Posted
I don't generally pay attention to the little titles within each post in a thread... And you never know if some random person is going to post a spoiler in the thread either. I think it would just avoid some complications lol.

Anyway, I'm done. Back to what Sara wants :).
Posted
All you have to do is (You can only do it in forums that have the HTML code on but Suggs & Feed does not have it on but the Adventure Forum does) Ex. that is how you do it. You don't have to have a button.
Posted
Adventure Forum has HTML enabled?
(goes and checks)
Hey, it does...weird...why? And would that setting override the recent disabling of HTML in signatures?
And what other weird things are happening that I did not know about?
Posted
I [i]also[/i] use List. Anyway, considering I'm almost always in the Adventure Arena, I tend not to actually notice that you can't use all of these other tags outside of it...
Posted
[COLOR=royalblue]I say we all go bug shift, and make him make the tag... i'd use it aswell. [/COLOR]
Posted
[color=deeppink] [size=1]Although... I forsee an itty bitty problem that might happen with the strikethrough option.
I kinda get the feeling alot of people will put up some spammy posts like,

¢´[b]bad[/b] good idea.

I'm not so sure about that... but if used not so spammy-ish, I think it'd be fun ^^[/color] [/size]
Posted
The Spoiler tag acts a little odd in Opera (if anyone here even uses that other than me), and it makes the font within it rather large. I haven't noticed this in IE, Netscape or Mozilla... so I assume it's a minor thing.

If anyone else has the problem let me know, I'll just force a certain font size instead. I left it alone because so many people here use custom font sizes (such as Sara's tiny font heh), and it should allow it this way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...