OtakuBoards

Cartoon Network Line-Ups...and anime on television announcements

Syk3

It looks like all the recent discussion of Cartoon Network and Naruto was pretty timely. The following quote was taken from [url=http://turnerinfo.com/newsitem.aspx?P=CARTOON&CID01=5991e4de-e163-4bac-bbf5-e81422aa3796][u]this[/u][/url] page.

[quote][b][i]Acquisitions[/i][/b]

[b]Code LYOKO:[/b] Cartoon Network has acquired 26 additional episodes of the animated series that blends traditional 2D and 3D animation. Code LYOKO tells the story of a group of students who uncover a parallel digital world named LYOKO that is threatened by a deadly virus that could ultimately destroy Earth.

[B]Zatch Bell:[/B] The new series takes viewers to the world of good and evil demons as Zatch Bell seeks to become the benevolent king over all of the demons that have come to Earth to conduct the ultimate battle. Reluctant as he may be to fight against the evil demons, Zatch battles his adversaries with the help of his human friend, Kory. The power of the duo grows stronger as their relationship develops. Cartoon Network has acquired 52 episodes of Zatch Bell, which will debut in March.

[B]One Piece:[/B] A boy, whose body has the properties of rubber, and his friends are on the search for the treasure left behind by a pirate king called ?One Piece.? Whoever finds this treasure will become King of the Pirates. One Piece will begin in May.

[B]Naruto:[/B] Twelve years ago, a nasty demon decimated a village but was contained in a baby who is now a student at a ninja academy. But this antisocial boy does not know that he is possessed. As he evolves as a ninja, his inner demon gives him more and more powers. To become a master ninja, he must learn to control his powers without destroying those around him. The series is scheduled to air in third quarter.

[B]Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo:[/B] In this silly action series, BoBoBo can talk to and understand hair. With the help of his blond hair, he is out to save the land from the Hair Patrol posse and their leader, Baldy Bald, who is forcing everyone to be bald. The action series is scheduled to air in fourth quarter.[/quote]
The Naruto license was announced yesterday, but I wasn't aware that Bobobo had been licensed until this popped up. Thoughts?

~Dagger~

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Yunacat
(Whoa i haven't posted in a long long time!!! O.O)

Who liscensed Naruto though? I kept thinking that Viz should have gotten it since they already have the manga...

Oh, and on the FoxBox, i hope this wasn't mentioned already, they are gonna put up Tokyo Mew Mew(which they horribly renamed Mew Mew Power.. bleh x.x). I'm glad to see it's out in the US, but i'm upset that it's being put on there and renamed that... T.T

[color=gray][size=1]ShoPro Entertainment has licensed Naruto.

ShoPro has also announced an upcoming merge with VIZ, LLC to "form one of the entertainment industry's most innovative, comprehensive manga and animation licensing and publishing companies." There's a link to the article on ANN [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=851]here[/url] and also in the Naruto thread. [/size][/color]

Viz... not my favorite company, but I don't really have any idea what this means for Naruto, Bobobo or later ShoPro/Viz releases. They seriously need to drop the three episodes per disc schtick and start including song subtitles, but they're much better than Tokyopop or (insert shudder here) 4Kids.

You know what would be cool? If they re-worked and de-edited the One Piece dub for CN. Not going to happen, but it'd certainly be nice. Apparently it was doing pretty badly on FoxBox, which will hopefully discourage 4Kids from mauling whatever action/adventure series they happen to get their greasy paws on in the future. No child nowadays is going to be entertained by the oh-so-wild exploits of lollipop-smoking, pop-gun wielding pirates. :rolleyes:

~Dagger~

I was staying up late one nightr and Inuyasha came on. It was an episode that I never saw. I watched it and at the ending song it was "Shinjitsu no Uta" Which I think is the 5th ending song. So have I been missing episodes :animeangr

---------

Also, on the topic of Adult Swim showing the inuyasha movies, Ive been waiting for them to do so even though I already have them.

I beleive that the version on Adult Swim will be edited to fit in the time slot WHIcH WILL SUCK. I want everyone to see the full Versions of these movies

[color=navy][size=1]Please don't double-post. If you have something to add, you can always edit your original post. Thanks.

~Dagger~[/size][/color]

Guest Kagome Kirisawa
Yes My friend was screaming about Naruto being licensed by ShopPro earlier this week. She also said that they had already announced who the main english voice actors would be.
Does anybody know exactly who?

As reported by ANN...

[quote]For ratings purposes, Turner Broadcast will split Adult Swim's from Cartoon Network at the end of this month. The split will see two separate networks, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, carried on the same cable channels at different times of the day.

Ratings tracking firm Nielson will begin classifying Adult Swim as a separate network on Monday, March 28th.

The move will improve Adult Swim's appearance in ratings comparisons, the new network will be #1 in its time period on basic cable among adults 18-34, with 11 of the top 50 ad-supported cable programs among adults 18-34.[/quote]
This is an interesting--if not entirely unexpected--decision, and will no doubt help Adult Swim continue to establish more of a presence. Of course it ultimately won't have much of an effect on the actual viewer, but it's sometime to keep in mind in case ratings become a topic of discussion in the future.

~Dagger~

• 3 weeks later...
A huge announcement has been made by adult swim. They have finally announced the premire dates of shows and movies in 2005. Here are all the premire dates for the new series, movies and returning series.

May

Samurai Champloo premires May 14th.
Paranoia Agent premires May 28th.
S-CRY-Ed premires May 28th.
Inuyasha-A love that transcends time premires May 14th.
Metropolis premires May 21st.

June

Brand new episodes of Inuyasha.

July

Escaflowne the movie premires. Date TBA.

August

Inuyasha-The castle beyond the looking glass premires. date/time TBA

September

Ghost in the Shell: Second Gig will premire. Date/time TBA.
Cowboy Bebop: The movie premires. Date/time TBA

Wow! That is one fantastic year that Adult Swim is going to give us. I cant wait for May. It looks like that is going to be one great month!! :D Does anyone know what S-CRy-Ed is? I've never heard of it before.

[b]s-CRY-ed[/b] is coming to Adult Swim!? Hallelujah!! Excuse me whilst I go make sacrifices at the double altar of Bandai Entertainment & Turner Broadcasting.

As it happens, I've been wanting to see s-CRY-ed for a [i]very[/i] long time. I believe that it's a post-apocalyptic anime about a group of young people with psychic powers--you know, pretty standard stuff. But it's reputed to be really action-packed, and the trailer (available at Bandai's main site) certainly makes it look that way. The character designs are by Hisashi Hirai (who's also worked on Gundam SEED and Infinite Ryvius), which may be a point of interest for some fans. I can't even count how many times I was a mouse-click away from buying the s-CRY-ed DVDs, heh.

I'm pleased that Samurai Champloo & Paranoia Agent are coming in only two months. I had expected them to arrive in June or July, not May, so this is very nice. And of course, s-CRY-ed is a tremendous added bonus. And the Escaflowne movie? That's a slightly unexpected choice, but I hope it does well for them. Three cheers for AS!

Seriously, at this point the only thing which could complete my happiness would be if they announced that they were going to air Fafner. Hey, a girl can dream. :animesmil

~Dagger~

[quote name='gundampali23']when will this schedule air? because im a big gundam fan and i want to no what date will this start?[/quote]

Look a page back to find out.

Anyway, things look good, but wasn't Sean Akins describing Scryed as "The Perfect Toonami Show"? Yes, I know Toonami has the rest of YYH, Naruto, and Bo^7 up its sleeve, but given 2 out of the 4 new animes Toonami aquired for this year are Americanized and Toei has a knack for screwing up dubs, that makes 3 out of 4 highly likely Americanized animes and if majority rules (hopefuly it won't, given that Perriot seems to be more respectful to their properties than Toei, but it easily could happen) then Scryed might end up being the last nail in the coffin for faithfully dubbed anime on Toonami once YYH ends.

By the way, [B]D[/B]amn [B]I[/B]t [B]C[/B]artoon [B]E[/B]xecutives (a.k.a. DICE) seems to have been canceled, skipping ahead to episode 24 this week and ending two weeks later. Bandai must certainly be in need of consolation for a new way to sell mecha toys. Coincidentally, the timing syncs up pretty well with the end of a certain show in the graveyard shift. ;)

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']Anyway, things look good, but wasn't Sean Akins describing Scryed as "The Perfect Toonami Show"? Yes, I know Toonami has the rest of YYH, Naruto, and Bo^7 up its sleeve, but given 2 out of the 4 new animes Toonami aquired for this year are Americanized and Toei has a knack for screwing up dubs, that makes 3 out of 4 highly likely Americanized animes and if majority rules (hopefuly it won't, given that Perriot seems to be more respectful to their properties than Toei, but it easily could happen) then Scryed might end up being the last nail in the coffin for faithfully dubbed anime on Toonami once YYH ends.[/quote]
Eh? Based on what I've read elsewhere, I'm pretty sure s-CRY-ed is coming to AS... how does that relate to Toonami?

But in any case, s-CRY-ed is old news, at least in the sense that it's been fully out on DVD for quite a while (which is why I didn't think it would ever have a real TV run, as opposed to just being available on VOD). I can only assume that the dub was therefore made without a mainstream TV audience in mind. I've heard that it's actually pretty good... and Crispin Freeman is in it, which is always nice.

It looks like Samurai Champloo will be taking over FMA's timeslot. Apparently FMA will be taking a mid-series break while they finish dubbing the remaining episodes. At least, I think that's right.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Eh? Based on what I've read elsewhere, I'm pretty sure s-CRY-ed is coming to AS... how does that relate to Toonami?[/quote]

Bandai pitched and pitched and pitched the show for Toonami to hell and back. Sean Akins, the creator of Toonami, said it would be "The Perfect Toonami Show" just about a year ago. Now that it is on AS after so many years of trying to get the show on Toonami makes me worry that Toonami won't get any faithfully dubbed anime for a while (Naruto will hopefully prove me wrong, though).

[quote name='gaarasgirl90][COLOR=DarkRed']I recently purchased a set of Naruto DVDs offline, and they came with a free sample of the 1st episode of Bleach. It was really good and now I want to buy it, but before I do I was hoping somebody could tell me a little bit more about it. You know like what exactly is it about, is the manga better? I would just like some input on it before I go and buy it.[/COLOR][/quote]
Lets say bleach is about a soul reaper that kinda gives her power to a guy that been seen ghost all his life and helping out. Is soppousely be temporaly giving to Ichigo (main chracter orage hair) but is know the "DEATH GOD" so to speak....anyway he meets some people along the way in his job like Quincy the Archer...which hates Ichigo gust....-.-

Where I live the have the manga up to 6 now and there very good i suggest you pick up a copy before seen the anime ^^

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']Bandai pitched and pitched and pitched the show for Toonami to hell and back. Sean Akins, the creator of Toonami, said it would be "The Perfect Toonami Show" just about a year ago. Now that it is on AS after so many years of trying to get the show on Toonami makes me worry that Toonami won't get any faithfully dubbed anime for a while (Naruto will hopefully prove me wrong, though).[/quote]
Oh, thanks for clarifying.

I had high hopes for Naruto... until I started watching Zatch Bell. Both ShoPro and Toei are apparently doing their best to prove the old axiom that no one screws up anime like the Japanese. :animecry:

Paranoia Agent is going to be a big litmus test for Adult Swim, in terms of what kind of content they'll allow to bypass the censors. SAC has shown that violence is no longer a concern, but the disturbing/questionable content in Paranoia Agent goes far, far beyond simple violence. Certain episodes ("Happy Family Planning" comes to mind) are just plain twisted.

~Dagger~

I think that [i]Naruto[/i] belongs on AS rather than Toonami. If it goes to Toonami, a lot of stuff is going to have to be taken out and reworked. Toonami has this thing about no blood (definately a problem because [i]Naruto[/i] revolves around some fairly bloody fights) and no cursing (another problem for [i]Naruto[/i]). I could see a lot of problems with it becomming a Toonami show. It stands a better chance with AS.

I was excited with they aired R.O.D., but with [i]s-CRY-ed [/i]comming....I think I might pee myself when it finally comes on air. >__> I'm glad AS is finally getting some new shows. Hoepfully more shows will mean better ratings which may translate into more anime for us. ^__^

Also....I can't wait to see what they do to [i]Paranoia Agent[/i]. They are gonna have some trouble with that if they try to edit it too much.

*dances about*

[QUOTE=Haze]I think that [i]Naruto[/i] belongs on AS rather than Toonami. If it goes to Toonami, a lot of stuff is going to have to be taken out and reworked. Toonami has this thing about no blood (definately a problem because [i]Naruto[/i] revolves around some fairly bloody fights) and no cursing (another problem for [i]Naruto[/i]). I could see a lot of problems with it becomming a Toonami show. It stands a better chance with AS.

Also....I can't wait to see what they do to [i]Paranoia Agent[/i]. They are gonna have some trouble with that if they try to edit it too much.

*dances about*[/QUOTE]

Toonami has gotten away with blood in the past. They've slipped in a lot with Kenshin, or for that matter Justice League. Ultimately blood doesn't really matter much as long as they can get away with violence, and seriously the violence in Naruto isn't all that worse than the violence in Gundam SEED or Yuyu Hakusho. Cursing: who needs it? It doesn't help the plot and would likely be mostly editted on AS anyway. Also, assuming CN makes deals with companies 6 months in advance before they are announced, that would make Naruto the first show 100% geared for primetime Toonami, allowing less edits. And seriously, despite the content the show just isn't adult-oriented enough.

As with Paranoia Agent, they'll need digital bikinis and mutes on curses of course and episode 3 would have to air with a special warning like the one episode 10 of GitS got. Other than that, AS has loosened up enough to allow most of the content.

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']As with Paranoia Agent, they'll need digital bikinis and mutes on curses of course and episode 3 would have to air with a special warning like the one episode 10 of GitS got. Other than that, AS has loosened up enough to allow most of the content.[/quote]
Mm, I'm not too sure about that. One of the episodes on the second disc (I think it might be episode 6) shows a young girl discovering that [spoiler]her father has installed cameras in her bedroom and has been taking pictures of her undressing and so forth.[/spoiler] It's not very graphic, but the implications are pretty bad. And episode 8 pushes the line in a number of respects, as it turns [spoiler]multiple suicide attempts[/spoiler] into comedic material. It's not that I don't have faith in AS, but I'd be surprised if that remained unchanged.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]Mm, I'm not too sure about that. One of the episodes on the second disc (I think it might be episode 6) shows a young girl discovering that [spoiler]her father has installed cameras in her bedroom and has been taking pictures of her undressing and so forth.[/spoiler] It's not very graphic, but the implications are pretty bad. And episode 8 pushes the line in a number of respects, as it turns [spoiler]multiple suicide attempts[/spoiler] into comedic material. It's not that I don't have faith in AS, but I'd be surprised if that remained unchanged.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

I've only seen the first disc, so I don't know everything that goes on later on in the series. As for the scene in episode 6, if it doesn't affect the plot they could just cut it and if it does then just put a warning. As for episode 8, it sounds like average Aqua Teen/Sealab fare, and thus they could probably get away with it.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='joshdude89']It is stupid that they don't show all of the good animes on cartoon network. They should replace Milk Chan with a good anime :animeangr[/quote]

I miss Yu Yu Hakusho though...don't they know how many people love it? I've found that I'm not even watching Cartoon Network anymore because all the shows I loved are either gone or come on too late for me too watch. It isn't fair...

Guest blacklightning
Ya I miss YuYu Hakusho too. They toke it off before a long time ago and all these people E-mailed Cartoon Network and evenully they put it back on ,But I still miss it . I am Like a Yuyu Hakusho fanaddic. so all i've been watching is the YuYu Hakusho DVD's i have .

When The Batman leaves the line-up then Yuyu Hakusho would be able to return. Dragonball Z's redub will be taking up the 2nd One Piece slot in May so July is the earliest it could premiere. The timing actually works out quite nicely because without interruption the remaining YYH episodes would run up until about the time the license expired so the show might end in a big marathon ala Dragonball Chronicles. Currently Toonami's schedule is stuffed. A lot of what it is stuffed with may be crap but it is crap that companies are paying big bucks for to air. We're extremely lucky DICE is actually leaving the block. Currently Toonami is in a slump but as long as they keep airing Duel Masters, Justice League Unlimited, and Zatch Bell and Teen Titans returns to premieres soon I still have some reason to watch the block and come fall we get Naruto (which WON'T be a hackjob), Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, IGPX, YYH, the possible return of Gundam SEED, plus the announcement of if MEGAS gets new episodes (hopefully done by Madhouse since they rock) and just maybe unhacked episodes of One Piece, so we'll be getting good stuff later in the year. Adult Swim is rocking harder than ever with Ghost in the Shell and Full Metal Alchemist plus Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, Scryed, some movies, 2nd Gig, and the likely acquisition of Chromartie High coming later in the year so AS has nothing to worry about, especially since Milk-Chan will likely be off the air by the time every episode has been repeated once.