OtakuBoards

Cartoon Network Line-Ups...and anime on television announcements

Syk3

Does anyone know if AS is going to be getting any new episodes of Case Closed (or Detective Boy Conan, however you know it by) soon? FUNi seems to be pleased with the ratings, calling them a success. But then again...they called Blue Gender a success so I don't know bout that one. Since we have entered re-run hell, I figured they might nab another 52 episodes by the time Fall came around. I think I heard that the series is now around 300+ episodes in Japan...you might need to correct me on that.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Sol-Blade']Does anyone know if AS is going to be getting any new episodes of Case Closed (or Detective Boy Conan, however you know it by) soon? FUNi seems to be pleased with the ratings, calling them a success. But then again...they called Blue Gender a success so I don't know bout that one. Since we have entered re-run hell, I figured they might nab another 52 episodes by the time Fall came around. I think I heard that the series is now around 300+ episodes in Japan...you might need to correct me on that.[/quote]

Sorry, but at this point I'm pretty sure Case Closed has gone the way of Lupin, a fan favorite that bombed and never got a 2nd episode order. Unless CN gets a backbone and decides to put it at 10.5 in primetime. But that seems unlikely (I doubt we'll see anything TV-PG on the general network until the final episodes of Gundam SEED, Naruto once it comes, and perhaps the occasional risque episode of Justice League given they're obligated to show it uncut and it can get a bit political or innuendoic).

Sailor Moon was a tremendous hit for Cartoon Network during the mid-1990s. It's been nearly ten years since then, and I was wondering whether anyone besides me thinks that CN still might benefit from airing family-friendly (and preferably not butchered) shoujo. Supposing they were marketed toward the right audience, anime like Full Moon wo Sagashite could potentially be huge.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1']It's been nearly ten years since then, and I was wondering whether anyone besides me thinks that CN still might benefit from airing family-friendly (and preferably not butchered) shoujo. Supposing they were marketed toward the right audience, anime like Full Moon wo Sagashite could potentially be huge.[/quote]

Interesting idea, I like to see that. But who can really say if it would succeed or not? CN has aired some shows that completely OWNED the ratings, while others bombed horribly. Usually once in awhile, they will get a hit-show on their hands. Whether it is a awesome show (like Trigun or Gundam), or a completely crap one (read: Pokemon), is what is seems to get me the most. You have to remember though, CN is a network, and ratings matter to them. They could air the best show of all time, and if the ratings flop, you can kiss that show goodbye.

Sadly, I feel this is the case with Case Closed. :confused: The ratings seemed okay by FUNi but [as] is sort of on the verge of pulling the plug. I hope not. I really hope not.

The Adult Swim forums recently held a poll in which respondents were asked to pick the anime they most wanted to see on AS. The four choices were Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo, Gungrave and--strangely enough--Peacemaker Kurogane. Even more strangely, Gungrave completely slaughtered the competition; it received about 52% of the overall vote. Samurai Champloo was a distant second, followed by Paranoia Agent and then PMK.

I found it interesting that a series which people might (wrongly) assume was connected to Trigun would have a greater chance at popularity than a series directed by Shinichiro Watanabe.

~Dagger~

I guess we can expect to see some new shows hitting the [as] lineup around spring time. I know that they are going to air Full Metal Alchemist soon along with Ghost in the Shell. It's nice to see the line-up being refreshed every once in awhile...

Sorry but the Cowboy Bebop and Trigun (no matter how good they are) reruns are getting old. Something good to look forward too though. :D

Guest Aburame Shino
we now got Gundam SEED..Which in fact does get better I swear
CN should get One Piece... :mad:

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Try not to double-post, please. If there's something you want to add, you can use the 'Edit' button to change your original post. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Aburame, One Piece is going to the FOXBox. Expect CN to buy the cable rights if it does well.

Now I'm rooting for Naruto to be on CN. And that's a better series that will likely be even more popular, so that would more than make up for CN not getting One Piece in the first place.

I've figured out an easy way to guess what channel an anime will be on depends on what company gets it. Things seem to go like this:

FUNimation: Cartoon Network
Bandai: Cartoon Network
Geneon: TechTV or Cartoon Network
ADV Films: The Anime Network
4Kids: The FOXBox or Kids' WB, with optional cable airings on Cartoon Network
Tokyopop: Showtime or Cartoon Network
Viz: Cartoon Network
Right Stuf: The Anime Network

[QUOTE=EVA Unit 100]FUNimation: Cartoon Network
Bandai: Cartoon Network
Geneon: TechTV or Cartoon Network
ADV Films: The Anime Network
4Kids: The FOXBox or Kids' WB, with optional cable airings on Cartoon Network
Tokyopop: Showtime or Cartoon Network
Viz: Cartoon Network
Right Stuf: The Anime Network[/QUOTE]

That seems about right. CN probably gets "[I]priority[/I]" over other networks because of it's popularity and exposure. TechTV is getting more popular (I think :rolleyes: ) and god knows how many people get the Anime Network... :D

Im not really interested in One Piece so that isn't necessarly on my "To Watch!" list. Then again, I have never seen the show so I'll probably check that out. Anyone have the exact showtimes yet?

One Piece will debut at 9:30 am on Saturday, September 18. The latest 4Kids press release offered a brief synopsis of the series.

[quote]As a young boy in a small port village, Monkey D. Luffy was inspired to become a pirate by his childhood hero "Red-Haired" Shanks. But when he accidentally ate the cursed Gum-Gum Fruit, he gained the power to stretch like rubber ... at the cost of never being able to swim again! Despite this limitation, Luffy vowed to grow up to become the king of the pirates, and find the greatest pirate treasure of all -- the pirate Gold Roger's legendary "One Piece."[/quote]
That sounds more or less accurate to me. I'm looking forward to seeing how they magically transform Sanji's cigarette into a lollipop.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE]As a young boy in a small port village, Monkey D. Luffy was inspired to become a pirate by his childhood hero "Red-Haired" Shanks. But when he accidentally ate the cursed Gum-Gum Fruit, he gained the power to stretch like rubber ... at the cost of never being able to swim again! Despite this limitation, Luffy vowed to grow up to become the king of the pirates, and find the greatest pirate treasure of all -- the pirate Gold Roger's legendary "One Piece." [/QUOTE]

Well that definitely sounds interesting, if not a little vague. It's something new, that's for sure. I'll give that show a run. Who knows? It could turn out to be my next favorite show...

*bursts out laughing* According to an announcement made at Dragon Con, Adult Swim has bought the rights to air ADV's Super Milk-Chan Show! And, yes, it's been confirmed that the next 52 episodes of Case Closed probably won't be shown on TV (unless the series moves to Toonami, where it should have been from the start).

I just don't understand what ADV [i]or[/i] the CN suits are thinking. ADV has The Anime Network; why the heck are they whoring out their series to other channels? I hope to heaven that AS will air the super-localized (i.e. actually funny) version of Milk-Chan.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]*bursts out laughing* According to an announcement made at Dragon Con, Adult Swim has bought the rights to air ADV's Super Milk-Chan Show! And, yes, it's been confirmed that the next 52 episodes of Case Closed probably won't be shown on TV (unless the series moves to Toonami, where it should have been from the start).

I just don't understand what ADV [i]or[/i] the CN suits are thinking. ADV has The Anime Network; why the heck are they whoring out their series to other channels? I hope to heaven that AS will air the super-localized (i.e. actually funny) version of Milk-Chan.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Whoa, wait, hold on there...

Why the [I]hell[/I] did they do that? Of all the shows they could have gotten (None would have been better...) from ADV...they bought...Milk-Chan? That was a good waste of a $1.50 if you ask me. But that's it, that was the proof I needed. I am now 100% certain there are no signs of intellgent life in CN :rolleyes:.

Anyways, I pretty much figured by now that they were going to drop Case Closed, now I just know it is offical. Guess it's time to go look for the dvd's...

I heard from my friend that there is going to be a One Piece Anime on Fox Box, but I didn't believe him at first. Then, I read about on Shonen Jump I borrowed from a friend. Then I got thinking: If Shaman King AND One Piece went to Fox Box, then is there a chance for Naruto, and Hikaru no Go? I know that Kids WB got Yu-Gi-Oh!,and DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho went to Cartoon Network, so I'm thinkin' that Naruto should get the America treatment.

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue]Ehh... Things aren't as simple as that, haha. I do think it'd be seriously cool if Naruto and Hikaru no Go came over to the US as well, but I'm not sure what you mean by "the American treatment." Are you saying that Cartoon Network doesn't Americanize their shows enough? While I'm not going to quibble about the pros and cons of Americanized anime (simply because, for those two animes, it's not important), I would like to know why you think it'd be bad if Cartoon Network got Naruto and/or Hikaru no Go instead of Fox. Personally, if those two animes air here, I don't care if it's on Playboy

[i]I REALLY wouldn't care if it's on Playboy, hehehe...[/i][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

NO NO NO!!!!!! You got me wrong, I'd love for in to be on Cartoon Network! I just thought that since Shaman King and One Piece were both from Shonen Jump, than Hikaru no Go and Naruto could be on Fox Box as well (eseicially since Naruto has an Anime in Japan right now on like episode 99, not about Hikaru no Go..).

I know that Yu Yu, and DBZ are in Shonen Jump, but it doesn't have "Shonen Jump's"
next to the title like Shaman King and One Piece.

P.S., I won't mind Playboy, either. :blush:

Plus, I know its not that easy, sadly... :(

[color=#503f86][SIZE=1][b]Merged the posts together- try not to double-post, please. If there's something you want to add to your first post, you can use the 'Edit' button -Solo[/color][/SIZE][/b]

[color=navy]If I recall, there's a major bidding war going on between all of the major American licensing companies (Bandai, Funimation, Viz, etc.) about who gets to bring Naruto over to the states. 4Kids put out quite a deal of money to get their hands on One Piece, so a lot of people are thinking that they are out of the running. Thus, considering all of the Foxbox anime titles have been dubbed by 4Kids, Naruto would probably not end up on Fox's saturday morning lineup.

Naruto is an insanely popular property, though, so it's just a matter of time until it ends up on this side of the Pacific. If Funimation, Bandai or Viz gets it, it could very well end up on Cartoon Network.. I'm just praying 4Kids doesn't somehow pick it up and change the target demographic to eight-year-olds.

Hikaru no Go isn't as likely to end up on US airwaves, I think. As entertaining and intense as the series is, I imagine a major television network wouldn't expect most viewers to get into it (There aren't any collectible monsters). That doesn't mean a DVD release isn't possible, though.[/color]

I'm 90% sure Sony has Naruto. The remaining 10% says FUNi has it.

Either way, I hope Naruto goes to CN. As for what CN block should air it, I'd have to say Toonami. It just doesn't belong on AS. Yuyu Hakusho didn't belong on AS, and I'm glad it moved to Toonami (although the edits bug me a bit). Inu-Yasha doesn't belong on AS, but it's stuck there. Detective Conan didn't belong on AS, but couldn't air elsewhere unless the BS&P evolved brains and CN put it on in the hour before AS. Full Metal Alchemist is stuck on AS, but I guess it could stay there given the censors and the fact that it's possibly the most violent shonen anime that could reasonably be called a shonen anime. AS has aired more fitting anime in the past such as Bebop, FLCL, The Big O, and Trigun, and they will be airing anime that fits the block well in the form of GitS:SaC, Milk Chan (which fits the comedy portion of AS, although not the action portion), and hopefully Champloo, but one more huge mistargeted show such as Naruto would hurt AS. However, Naruto will help Toonami. Assuming it's reruns will run on weekdays as well as Saturdays, Dragonball GT will be finished by Spring, and Toonami definately needs "The Next DBZ" more than ever and if Naruto isn't that then I don't know what is. Naruto wouldn't be out of place, since Toonami is one of the only American programming blocks targeted at 9-16 year old boys, which is exactly who Naruto aims for. Now that Toonami is in primetime and several episodes of Gundam SEED and Justice League have been said to be TV-PG, several Naruto episodes could air at TV-PG. Plus, unlike some shows, it could be editted. Kenshin in its original form was more violent, and it got reasonably editted to TV-Y7FV and even then it still contained some blood and death and profanity and stuff. If Naruto aired at TV-PG at 10.0 at night, it could air nearly uncut.

I want FUNimation to have enough money left over to license Hunter x Hunter (assuming they're not already trying to work out some kind of deal), so I guess I'll be rooting for Sony. :D

In an ideal world, Naruto would end up on Toonami... however, it worries me that Case Closed was considered too dark for anything but Adult Swim. Although Full Metal Alchemist is sort of pushing it, that particular series does suit AS better than either Inuyasha or Naruto. It's also a lot more difficult to MST3K, which is a big plus. Both FMA and GitS: SAC are steps in the right direction; Milk-Chan will be if and only if they show the heavily altered dub.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Dagger ]I just don't understand what ADV [i]or[/i'] the CN suits are thinking. ADV has The Anime Network; why the heck are they whoring out their series to other channels? I hope to heaven that AS will air the super-localized (i.e. actually funny) version of Milk-Chan.[/quote]
wouldnt it be that not everyone hast the anime network
i know i dont
and since CN is like a regular cable/satelite channel, its most probaly going to hit a larger audience and make them want to buy the DVDs for personaly home viewing, unless they tape them >_>'' BAKA~! but who tapes things?
n e ways what is milk-chan?
*does web search*

i just hope that they dont show [b]2[/b] episodes of it like they did with Eva in Toonami a few years back LOLz (eva=owned by adv [i]of course[/i]) :laugh:
i mean there was a reason for the 2 eps, but w/e

According to the AS site, Adult Swim plans on airing several anime movies in 2005. The titles mentioned include Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (or Knockin' on Heaven's Door, whichever you prefer), Metropolis and the first two Inuyasha films.

I'm glad they got the rights to Bebop; that was definitely a smart move. Personally I think Metropolis may be a bit too artsy for AS, and casual viewers will probably find its retro character designs somewhat off-putting, but I wish it the best of luck. I'll most likely watch the Inuyasha movies, so I can finally decide whether or not I want to buy them.

~Dagger~

Huge Announcement by Adult Swim!

Here it is:

*Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex will now premiere Saturday, November 6, at 12:30 a.m. for the beginning of its Saturday run.

*The Super Milk-Chan Show premieres Sunday, November 7, at 12:30 a.m. to begin its Sunday night run. Adult Swim will not be airing the Americanized version, but rather the straight dub of the Japanese version.

*The anime movie Metropolis will kick-start a new year of Saturdays on January 1 at midnight.

*InuYasha premieres will move to weeknights at 12:30 a.m. beginning Monday, January 4.

*Fullmetal Alchemist will now premiere on Saturday, January 8, at midnight where it will begin its Saturday run.

I am really angry about this! FMA gets pushed back to January,Super Milk Chan on Adult Swim in its Dubbed form, and no Case Closed! I do like Inuyasha on the weekdays with new episodes, but the other stuff is horrible.

I guess this is really the end for Case Closed. :(

Well, what do you think about this?

[QUOTE=dposse]I am really angry about this! FMA gets pushed back to January,Super Milk Chan on Adult Swim in its Dubbed form, and no Case Closed! I do like Inuyasha on the weekdays with new episodes, but the other stuff is horrible.

I guess this is really the end for Case Closed. :(

Well, what do you think about this?[/QUOTE]
I'm actually happy that FMA is getting pushed back, haha. Now I can just get the DVDs (which should start coming out in January, unless FUNimation decides to delay them) without bothering with the broadcast.

I am a bit bemused that AS will be airing the non-Americanized version of Super Milk-Chan; most reviews say the Japanese-language track, not to mention the accurate dub, is hideously unamusing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see it for myself... maybe they didn't want to bother editing the profanity-packed alternate dub.

~Dagger~

Another huge announcement by the people at Adult Swim!

Here it is:

The Good News

? Fullmetal Alchemist is back to its original premiere date of Saturday, November 6, at midnight.

The Bad News

? Because of this change, InuYasha will leave the Saturday night schedule after its October 16 airing. (Weeknight reruns of InuYasha will continue. Premieres of InuYasha will resume on Wednesday night, December 22, at 12:30 a.m.)

Although I'm angry about no new episodes of Inuyasha for a while, i'm soo glad about FMA coming on in november!!

What do you think about it?