OtakuBoards

The Future of OB - Info & Survey

James

[color=#808080]I thought I'd create this thread rather than creating an Announcement.

Basically, there are a couple of things I want to mention to everyone here. And also, I'd like to get a little feedback too. ^_^

Firstly, we'll soon be upgrading OtakuBoards to Virtual Bulletin v2.3. Hopefully this will be done tomorrow. I am unsure exactly what improvements we'll see (usually a few extra bits and pieces are added by JelSoft in each new minor update -- and some bugs are corrected), but I'm sure the change will be positive nonetheless.

Also, I've been talking to Justin Blessing (our main tech guy) and we have discovered an interesting piece of software that I want to use on signatures. It allows us to completely control images in sigs. So how does it work?

Basically, you will no longer be able to link to images in your sig using the [IMG] code. And you won't be able to include more than one image in your signature [i]at all[/i] (in other words, the software will directly prevent it).

Instead, banners in signatures will be handled in the same way that avatars are handled. So, you will go to your User CP and there will be an option to add an image to your signature. You'll add your banner or whatever by uploading it to OtakuBoards (just like a custom avatar) and it will appear in your siggy.

So what is the benefit to this approach? There are a few. Firstly, you'll be able to host your banner on OB and you will not need to host it on any other site. The great thing about this is that if you [i]replace[/i] your banner after you get tired of it, OtakuBoards will delete the old banner and make way for the new one. And so, it won't waste space on our server. This would be a [i]massive[/i] improvement over the inefficient system we have now (where people create banner after banner and attach them in posts and then choose something else a week later). Remember, old banners in attachments are [i]always[/i] stored on OtakuBoards unless they are removed for some reason. So it does waste space, albeit a small amount.

There's also something else I want to mention. Skins.

As you guys know, I've been working on a Zelda skin for OB. However, Justin told me that Virtual Bulletin 3 may not support our current skins. Or, at the very least, they'll need modification to "fit".

Virtual Bulletin 3 (we are on 2.2.7 right now) is not yet complete. But it's looking impressive so far and I am very keen to upgrade to it on [b]OtakuBoards v7[/b]. I'm not sure when VB3 will launch, but you can bet that OBv7 will launch soon after.

So, I'm saying this because I am going to shelve the Zelda skin as of now. Rather than working on a skin that may only last a short period of time, I'm going to stop and continue development once VB3 is available -- so that it will be designed entirely for VB3. I hope that makes sense. >_<

Also, someone mentioned the idea of including "retro" OB skins (ie: v1, v2, v3 etc). This is something I am strongly considering right now. And it's entirely possible, if time permits, that we can include retro skins on OtakuBoards before the launch of VB3. We'll see how it goes.

I hope all of that made sense. It's late over here and I'm not sure if I was rambling or not. lol

Anyway, I also did want to ask a question of everyone -- well, a few questions. I know you guys like surveys (hehe), so I'll just list 'em below for you. Thanks.[/color]

[b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?

If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?

Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com? [/b](ie: closer fan art links, contests, etc)[b]

Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?

Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? [/b](ie: shared moderators, scheduled chat events etc)[b]

Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b] (ie: do you feel that we need more spam control or less? Or are we just right?)[b]

If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?

Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?

Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works? [/b](if you had to choose only one option)[b]

Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b] (in other words, do you seek out Mods/Category Mods to help you when you are unsure of a rule or something like that)[b]

Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies? [/b](such as language restrictions, conflict resolution between members, strict blocking of sexual imagery, etc... - this question is aimed primarily at parents and members over 15 years)

[color=#808080]That's all for now. Just a few areas that I'm interested in hearing about from the members. If there are any questions about my pre-survey comments, feel free to ask in this thread. ^_^[/color]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]
Eek! I've filled out the rest of the survey before coming back to this... and I honestly can't think of something. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe more "events" in the events forum, but that's not really a big "feature"... so.. meh...

[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]
A few days ago I would have said .hack//SIGN O_O Now I say... urm... *thinks hard* I heard somebody a mention a Manga forum/sub forum a little while ago... I like that idea alot...

[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com?[/b]
That's something I would love to see O_O! In fact on some sites I've seen places where people can archieve their work under a username (maybe the one on OB?) But then I can see that would use up alot of space on a server... But I would really like to see some kind of membership thing on theOtaku - to make the link more... i dunno prominent I suppose - I see OB and theOtaku as two seperate sites to be honest O_o

[b]Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b]
That doesn't bother me either way. As long as the logos for the affiliated sites didn't get in my way too much. I don't think I'd spread too much away from OB.

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards?[/b]
An interesting idea... I tried to get onto the chat thing a little while ago and it didn't let me :( but yeah, I think I'd be interested in that ^_^

[b]Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b]
Exactly right! Whenever spam's afoot it gets squished ^^ You can NEVER have too much spam control! If advertising's done, it's done in the siggy. ^_^ Appropriate and I like it the way it is!

[b]If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b]
No I wouldn't... But then my mobile phone's a brick from centuries ago O_o so I probably couldn't anyway.

[b]Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?[/b]
I think a larger variety... Infact I reckon that there should be some kind of challenge to come up with skins. Post a tutorial somewhere and let people take up the challenge. I think, even though you'd get some naff ones, you might find a few gems, we've got a few artists on OB!

[b]Would you prefer to have animed/gaming-themed skins or completely original works?[/b]
I think I'd prefer the themed ones, if I had to specify between gamed and animed, I'd say animed, but I dunno if you were asking that O_o

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b]
Generally... no... But I haven't had many problems. If it was a serious one then yeah I would. But if it's just technical stuff I would check in the respective forum to see if it's been asked before, then post a topic about it. *shrugs*

[b]Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies?[/b]
The rules cover everything, but sometimes it's not followed. I know more than once I've seen things starred (like ***) and not corrected, even though the rules prohibit it... I'm not saying I mind the stars, I prefer them to actual swearing, but if it's in the rules then it should be taken as seriously as say... spamming. *shrugs again* Just my opinion though ^^
[i]EDIT: Yup, I've got it now *cringes and feels like an idiot after going and re-reading the rules* Sorry! My mistake![/i]

Oh and I LIKE the banner idea O_o I've had loads of trouble finding hosts, they've all stopped their service (or they had when I was trying to look for them) so, yeah! Go OB! *chuckles*

[color=#808080]I just want to indicate, for clarity, that the stars don't need to be corrected.

The stars are there to block out swearing. And although we discourage swearing, language blocked by the censor is not something that we generally worry about (for the very reason that it's not visible). But bypassing the censor to deliberately type a swearword for instance, is definitely something that all Moderators should be cracking down on.

And, regarding the membership thing on theOtaku.com? Stay tuned. ~_^[/color]

Since I'm short on time at the moment, I will answer all your questions when I get back from work. I'm sorry. ^.^

[i]My[/i] big question is, are we going to keep our post counts and User ID numbers? Right now, I've [i]just[/i] gotten to No Life rank after all this time, and it'd steam me to lose it all over again, just like the last time, when we first switched to VB.
The User IDs aren't as big a problem--I'm hosting a website for one of our RPGs, and there are links that take visitors directly to the contestants' Profile via the User ID number. If this all changes, though, I'd need to know, please, James. :)

[color=#808080]Are you really that concerned about post count and rank?

Post counts will not change, nor will User IDs. However, ranks/status [i]may[/i] change in the move to v7. But I can't be sure about that until the time comes (and it could be a long way away).

Either way (minor update or major VB3 update), nobody will have to re-register.[/color]

[size=1][b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]
Ability to choose between a 'threaded' or 'flat' view for topics.

Otaku Hisory, or Evangelion.

[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com? (ie: closer fan art links, contests, etc)[/b]
I would really enjoy that, since I work for both sites. Most people don't realize that Shyguy and ShyGuy are the same person. Also, I'm sure that there are all sorts of ways to draw upon OB's community for help with theOtaku.

[b]Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b]
Not neccessarily. I would like to keep OtakuBoards' community at around the size it is now, and affiliation will bring in a lot of new people. I couldn't deal with the newbie-ness of it all.

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? (ie: shared moderators, scheduled chat events etc)[/b]
I don't like theOtaku's chat room. *hugs Juuthena* I'm sorry, but almost everyone in their is a blathering idiot. This would be a much more interesting idea of the chat room were better organized.

[b]Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards? (ie: do you feel that we need more spam control or less? Or are we just right?)[/b]
Well, I think that the anime moderators do an excellent job at keeping spam low... heh. No, I would like a little more spam control, mainly among the countless new members who get banned. It is a huge hassle having to ban a few newbies every week for not paying attention to the rules.

[b]If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b]
I just have a regular cellular phone, so it doesn't seem like a viable option. But yes, I would never leave OB if I had such a device and could access the boards from it.

[b]Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?[/b]
I think that more skins is better. You can't please everyonme, so obviously the best thing would be to create a wider variety of skins. I'm very happy with the liquid one currently, it's probably my favorite skin from my two years here.

[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works? (if you had to choose only one option)[/b]
Completely original works. My taste in anime changes often, and I would grow tired of seeing the same characters at the boards.

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB? (in other words, do you seek out Mods/Category Mods to help you when you are unsure of a rule or something like that)[/b]
All of the time. Syk3 and I constantly PM eachother about these sorts of things. Even though I am a Category Mod, there will always be times when I need to hear someone else's point of view.

Yes, I think that this place is perfectly safe for children to visit. But I would really like to have older and more mature members here, especially in the anime forums. With Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon and Dragonball Z the average age for someone who posts there is 11-13. That is just a little too young for my tastes.

The banner thing is interesting. But do we still have the ability to move around the location of the banner in our sig? Will it always have to be at the top or bottom? The idea doesn't seem flexible since it is software based.

-Shy[/size]

[size=1][font=rockwell][b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]Eh. I'd like to see the Poetry/ Fan Fiction forum get more attention than it does. I've really given a lot to that forum and I haven't been given much really. I mean, my poem thread's like...6 pages. Or something. And almost all of the posts are from me in it, lol. I don't really know. *shrug*

[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be? [/b] History forum. Or bring back the newbie lounge. *snicker*

[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com? (ie: closer fan art links, contests, etc)[/b] Sure. It'll give the people that work hard on their art and things more coverage and recognition.

[b]Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b] Not really. I like where we are.

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? (ie: shared moderators, scheduled chat events etc)[/b]
Eh. I've only been to that chat room once or so, and it was pretty horrible. There really wasn't anyone I knew in there, and it was all just a whole bunch of people saying nothing. So it sure could happen. But it needs some improvement
[b]Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[ (ie: do you feel that we need more spam control or less? Or are we just right?)[/b] I never will. There's always room for improvement. But all of the staff and everyone here works very hard and I commend that.

[b]If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b] Of course. OB's like another home to me.

[b]Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?[/b] Not really. I could care less. As long as I still see the same friends I've met here and the same wonderful people. Appearance isn't everything.

[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works? [/b](if you had to choose only one option)[/b] Sure. But it doesn't really matter to me too much.

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB? (in other words, do you seek out Mods/Category Mods to help you when you are unsure of a rule or something like that)[/b] Yes, I do. But not really extensively.

[b]Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies? (such as language restrictions, conflict resolution between members, strict blocking of sexual imagery, etc... - this question is aimed primarily at parents and members over 15 years)[/b] Yes, I am pretty satisfied. But I still think it shouldn't be that big of an issue. It's parents' and others' jobs to stop their kids if they come to someplace like this and find something obscene and explicit.[/size][/font]

[b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?

[color=darkblue]Hm...I don't really have anything that I can think of at the moment. ShyGuy's feature sounds interesting but there isn't anything that sticks out that I like NEED to have. Ya know? [/color]

If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?

[color=darkblue] I'm with them, I think it'd be cool to have an Otaku History forum.[/color]

Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com? [/b](ie: closer fan art links, contests, etc)[b]

[color=darkblue] Yeah I think it'd be cooler, plus I think it'd make theOtaku.com seem more friendlier than it already is. Ya know what I mean? More fan based. But thats just my opinion on it.[/color]

Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?

[color-darkblue] Erm. I'm not sure. I mean it'd have its advantages and disadvantages. If we do I'd say be very selective with whom you affiliate with. (I'm sure you would anyways, but ya know better safe than sorry.)[/color]

Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? [/b](ie: shared moderators, scheduled chat events etc)[b]

[color=darkblue] I think some of the same mod's should be there. Also have some members from the boards earn their way to mod the chat. (Just like modding the forum) I also think that some of the people that just visit the chat should be able to mod the chat.[/color]

Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b] (ie: do you feel that we need more spam control or less? Or are we just right?)[b]

[color=darkblue] Yes. The effort of the mods and admins is great! I think the members do their job for the most part.[/color]

If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?

[b][color=darkblue]YES YES YES!!!![/b][/color]

Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?

[color=darkblue] Higher quality[/color]

Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works? [/b](if you had to choose only one option)[b]

[color=darkblue] Anime/Gaming [/color]

Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b] (in other words, do you seek out Mods/Category Mods to help you when you are unsure of a rule or something like that)[b]

[color=darkblue] When I need to....[/color]

Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies? [/b](such as language restrictions, conflict resolution between members, strict blocking of sexual imagery, etc... - this question is aimed primarily at parents and members over 15 years)

[color=darkblue] I am 15 so I'll still answer. I personally think you guys do a great job...[/color]

The benner idea....kicks as....BUTT!

[b]EDIT:[/b] Sorry James I'll edit that now...

[color=indigo]
[b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b] The only feature that I think I would enjoy is a prefernence feature for font and color (although we could very well have this already and I just have no idea how to use it)...

[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]I don't think we need any more forums. I think that any additional forums created will have the same problems that the anime lounge sub-forums had. I think we have a place to talk about nearly everything.

[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com?[/b]I think it would increase volume within the OB community and give theOtaku.com more exposure.

[b]Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b] No, although I realize that many members have message boards (shoot, I even created one once), most of the time they are just mirror images of this site (topic wise).

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards?[/b] I have only used the chat syatem once or twice...I really didn't understand what the people that were using it were discussing. I do think it could be put to good use if we linked to the boards, especially for open ended discussions in real time that tend to get spammy (ie: war topics and anime "clubs")

[b]Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b] I have always felt that the OB prides itself on spam control. I think we do as good of a job controling it without imposing entrance criteria for members.

[b]If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b]Not now, it is too expensive to acccess the web via cell phone at this time, it always kills my minutes.

[b]Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?[/b] I think having a few high-quality skins is much better then having tons of skins...I love the skins we have right now.

[b]Would you prefer to have animed/gaming-themed skins or completely original works?[/b] I think I would enjoy original skins better, but, I am pretty sure the community on a whole would enjoy theme based skins like Zelda, DBZ, and FF.

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b] Well, if I can't fix it, someone has to.

I think they are fine, please, just remember that I am a dirty, codgey, self-absorbed old man.[/color]

[color=#808080]Okay, a few things to answer here.

1) Mitch and Lalaith, regarding the first question -- I think you've missed the point. I am asking what [i]new feature[/i] people would like to see. Higher activity in a forum isn't a feature, it's a behavior. lol

People will move to whichever forums they are interested in -- the site's Administration does not control that whatsoever. If nobody is visiting the poetry threads, they are either simply not interested or they only read and don't reply. Once again, member behavior is something we don't control in terms of which forums are more popular.

2) Shyguy, regarding the banner thing. I have no idea. I haven't yet seen this hack in action. I'll ask Justin B. about it.

3) Regarding affiliation. I should have made that a bit clearer. I doubt that OtakuBoards would ever actually put other sites' buttons or banners up. I'm not talking about a banner exchange. I'm talking about a [i]partnership[/i] with other sites -- in other words, holding joint events, joint competitions, etc etc. Kind of like having a "sister boards".

4) Regarding skins. More skins = lower quality. That's the point of the question. So, I'm asking if people would rather see five to ten [i]really high quality[/i] skins or twenty medium/lower quality skins. So I guess I'm asking if quality is more important than quantity. This doesn't mean that we'd ever put up low quality skins deliberately; it's not as cut-and-dry as that. It's just a hypothetical question to see what you guys think about skins.

If there are anymore questions, just post 'em and I'll do my best to answer.[/color]

[color=black][size=1][font=rockwell] I know I missed the question, lol. I didn't have an answer so I just said what was on my mind, lol.

As for it being a behavoir, it welly is. But seriously. I haven't done anything as a moderator in the poetry/fan fic forum since I've been there. Nothing goes on there. Sure, there's a few people here and there that post. Heaven's Cloud and such to name one or so. But it's so dead. I hate it.[/color][/size][/font]

[color=royalblue][b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]

I honestly don't know what to say. I mean, everything I wanted has been added over the upgrades in the past. The only thing I can think of would be if you could just set your font color, size, and type from your UCP.

I'll go with Shy on this one. Otaku History.

[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com?[/b]

Very much so.

No, I wouldn't. Like Shy said, that would bring in droves of new people, which in turn would break our lovely little semi-silence going on around here now. I honestly shudder at the thought of what could happen.

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards?[/b]

I really don't use the chat system, so I couldn't give you anything to really run on regarding that.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds it might incriminate me. lol No, seriously. I feel that we could be a little tougher in that department, but we're doing an okay job of it at the moment. Just something to work on.

I would! That would help me out a lot, as it happens. I'd love it if we could do that.

I believe it's better to have quality over quantity. I'd rather have a few nice, well laid-out skins than a bunch of run-of-the-mill ones.

[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works?[/b]

Normally, I would say animé, but I'm strongly leaning towards originals. Many themes for many animés have come out, and to me, their starting to become somewhat monotonous. I know the folks here at OB would more than likely blow all of them out of the water, but I'm more inclined to see what you all can come up with by yourselves.

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b]

I do. I know all the rules and such, (wouldn't make much sense if I didn't, now would it?) but it's better to be safe than sorry in an area you're not sure of.

[b]Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies? [/b]

I am. The language barriers and all the other things we use here are just fine in my opinion.[/color]

[size=1][b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]
Well, I got my strikethough option, at least until the upgrade, so. ^_~ I guess I'd like to see an option to choose your post style--size, color, etc--in the [b]Option[/b] panel. Just convenience.[b]

If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be? [/b]
Newbie forum!!! *ducks and runs*[b]

Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com? [/b]
Yeah, that would be nice. [It would be interesting to have a skin for OB that corresponded with the other sections of theOtaku...with the folder tabs and the top, and stuff.][b]

Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b]
I'm still not quite sure on what this means...? [b]

Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? [/b]
I've never been able to get into the chat room; I wouldn't have any preference.[b]

Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b]
Yes, quite. Gold stars all around.[b]

If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b]
Oh, so then it could be a part of my [i]every[/i] waking hour, huh? No, I don't think so. My computer works well enough for me.[b]

Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?[/b]
I don't know what you mean by the "quality" of a skin. I'm more than satisfied with Liquid, though. Very light and welcoming. I'll probably stick with this one for quite a while.[b]

Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works? [/b]
By original works, do you mean graphics-oriented, or what? I'm a bit confused.[b]

Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b]
When I have a problem, yes, I complain. ^_~[b]

Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies? [/b]
Yep. I think OB does a pretty good job of that, really. [/size]

[size=1][color=crimson]-[b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]
Uh... I think that an age restriction thing would be a good idea, but I know that so many people are against it..

-[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]
I have no idea.. ah yes I do ^^;; A Sega forum would be cool (though not popular)..

-[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com?[/b]
Yes, in every aspect.

-[b]Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b]
No, because the other boards would leech members from here (unless they were already big + popular boards, then I don't mind).

-[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards?[/b]
Nope, we'd be swamped with strange people.

-[b]Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b]
No way, call me strict but I think that we are [i]way[/i] too lenient on some more-than-one-occaison spammers.

-[b]If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b]
I would if I had any of them.

-[b]Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?[/b]
Either. But I'd say that we have to keep members' different likes + dislikes in mind on this one.

-[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works?[/b]
I would say completely original, it's nice to see what people achieve from a blank canvas.

-[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b]
Yes. :)

-[b]Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies?[/b]
Yes, yes I am.[/size][/color]

[b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]

PLEASE no shadows and all that extra crap. Some new font colors would be nice, but that's about it.

The thing I would REALLY like... an option to select all your PMs in that list. You can't do it on any skin other than Industrial, which I refuse to use.

Nothing really. I wouldn't mind seeing the game forums just become one big area (besides PC), but that's me.

I wouldn't mind the return of the web design forum, but apparently it was dead.

While I don't really care about this... I think it would be a benefit. It's more to do around here for everyone, and perhaps would entice more people to join. At the present time, the two sites seem barely related honestly... which is a bit odd.

Well, I'm sure a lot of people would rather keep this place tight knit and small... But if it brings over more good members who can add to the boards, then it's cool with me. I personally think it could be pretty sweet if done well and people kept up on their promises.

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? [/b]

Hmm. All I know is that I sure as hell won't want to mod it. Could be a neat feature though.

Spam control seems fine overall... but then there are days when there is tons of it and everyone is scrambling. I'd help, but I'm regulated to Nintendo only and not much goes on there.

I must admit, that I'd be far more of a jerk about such things with bad members than what generally goes on here.

I could use my phone, but I doubt I ever would.

Less, higher quality. Although by less, I mean something like 5 or 6.

[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works? [/b]

I'd prefer original, unless we were basically guaranteed the anime/game ones would suit the boards just as well.

I personally have.

OB blocks all the words it needs to. I don't think we need more word blockers heh.

[color=hotpink][size=1][b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]

Hmmm...that is definately a toughie for me...I'd say I wouldn't mind having CUSTOM TITLES! I've always enjoyed those even though it's been said they can be abused.

[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be? [/b]

A manga forum. It's totally different from anime and there are so many different series being made available and becoming more popular that I honestly think it would be a big hit.

More fanart. I think there should be fanart contests located here on the boards in the Event Arena. Or something of that nature. Or maybe some quizzes or competitions.

NO! I don't trust anyone who runs another message board. It's hard to agree on things and they will want to run things one way and you'll want to do it another. That's definately a no-go.

No. I think they should be two separate things. It'd be extreme difficult to get everyone you needed around for one chat event because of everyone in each time block. And the moderators already have a big enough job on the forums without having to worry about the chat, too.

I'm very satisfied. I hate to see annoying people who can't type. I love the OtakuBoards because of the higher standards.

Heck yeah. If I had one of those devices. ^_^; I would be on the Otaku 24/7.

It doesn't matter to me. I only use the one skin I have, but with each person comes different tastes. Therefore I think somewhere in the middle will satisfy everyone. ^_^

[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works? [/b]

I like anime/gaming themes. But there would have to be a good variety and not a very limited choice. Maybe have a poll about which one to make next and so forth.

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB? [/b]

Well, being a moderator myself, I hope I already know those rules and apply them. :)

Extremely. I like the way this place is so clean-cut. There are still some posts that bother me every now and then, but this place, like I said earlier, has very high standards that are great for everyone.[/color][/size]

[color=green][b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b] Oh wow...that's a hard one. I personally like OB the way it is.^^

[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b] NEOPETS! Lol, nahh I'm just kidding there.^^() I don't really know.Oo

[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com?[/b] Well sure I suppose. Hmm...*ponders*

[b]Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b] Why not? Make new friends from other forums. I think that'd be a very interesting experience.^^

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards?[/b] I sure do.^^ Some people like to chat and post in a forum. I'd love to share the events of the forum with the chat. Before I came here I was a chatter*puts finger to chin* Quite good at fighting there too.Oo

[b]Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b] I believe it's just right. Personally at my guild, we are a teeny bit stricter, such as your post much be at least three lines long...but that would be difficult and much different here.

[b]If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b] If I was rich enough to own any of those.^^()

I personally like a smaller and high quality variety.^~ I like eye candy!^^

[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works?[/b] Well it really depends, but probably an anime/gaming themed skin, since that's what most people here would probably enjoy and use.

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b] Oh yeah.^^() I'm a very friendly(and oh so annoying) person. I love to ask questions in person rather than be a little notice or something.Oo...

[b]Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies?[/b]Well, I'm satisfied. Though I'm only 13, I believe this board is safe for almost any age out there.^^[/color]

[b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b] I've been reading other people's posts, and I found that I'd really like to be able to edit my post color, size, font, etc. via my own profile. This way, you wouldn't have to type it in every time you go to post. I think that with this feature, I would more likely than not keep with a specific color when I post. People will remember that I used to post in teal as Solid Snake, but have since stopped doing that because you kept having to type it in, and I got lazy.

[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b] Neon Genesis Evangelion. If there is any short anime series that deserves it's own forum, Eva would defifnitly be my choice. With 26 episodes and 2 movies, they go so deep into the series that it can create quite a lot of decent discussions. If you think that Eva is slightly complicated for some younger members, remember that there are some here (i.e. Sephiroth) who are very knowledgable in the series, and can explain things a bit better for them.

[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com?[/b] A while ago, I really thought there should be, but lately I've been seeing them as two completely different sites. I honestly think you have enough links, to theOtaku.com at the bottom of the page and to Fan Art in the banner, and shouldn't corner members too much on this issue.

[b]Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b] I think this is a pretty neat thing to do. Someone actually proposed an idea to me a few days ago where we could have competitions between forums. This would increase traffic to both the boards and the site, as well as open many possibilities in the way of competitions and such. We might even learn a few ways that we could expand our vb abilities. ;)

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? [/b] No, I don't think it should. People who post in the chat are usually completely different than those on the boards, and they would just want to stick with that. The idea of linking them could severely overload the ammount of people in the chat at a time, and you could never keep with a single discussion. It would make the chat moderator's job a lot harder, and require more time. That's just my opinion, though.

[b]Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b] I am satisfied with the level of spam for the most part. I think we are on the right track, and when I look at other forums, it makes me appreciate OB so much more after seeing how lenient those moderators are. We keep down the flaming and spam a lot better than other forums, which makes this just that much friendlier.

[b]If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b] Most deffinitly...if I had such a portable device. ^_^ I usually try to get on OB whenever I can, and if I had the oppertunity to post on a car trip or something, I'd take it.

[b]Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?[/b] Personally, I think we should have a smaller range of higher quality skins. People can learn a lot by looking at the way a forum looks, and if we have some really low quality skins to choose from, it's not going to seem like we care about our board enough to outdo ourselves on the way it looks. Plus, through the selection, some people may skip over the message board altogether. It's deffinitly better to have high-quality skins for people to see that we really value our appearence. I really like your comment on retro skins; I'd use them without a doubt!

[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works?[/b] Eh, I'd say go with the original. Sure, it would look neat to see a Zelda themed skin or something, but when it's original, the possibitlities for the graphics and everything are endless, and we arn't limited to a particular color scheme or something.

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b] Even for me, yes I do. Like Shyguy said, we discuss issues on OtakuBoards a lot as of late, and are giving and getting advice if we need help on something. I have also recieved a number of messages from people needing me to help them on something, such as if they can't log in or out.

[b]Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies? [/b] For the most part, yes I am. Even with younger members, we can have detailed and educated discussions on a particular issue. There are some excpetions, but we can usually try to push them in the right direction if they continuously have problems. Some, of course, just cannot be helped, but that depends on the person, not the age. I think we are fast enough to completely erase any type of sexual imagery. There has only been a single case of that in the two years or so that I have been here. Language could still be worked on, of course. I think more cursing needs to be filtered, since even the current amount allowed on here has led to more than one person I know become personally banned from the boards by their parents.

EDIT: Ah yes, about the banner upload, it's a good idea, except for one thing. I'm guessing that you won't be able to put text above it, or won't be able to put text below it. I kind of like having it in the middle. :)

[color=crimson][b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b]

Some sort of odd mesh of demographics about various odd things, like who posts the most daily, who changes their avatar most, who has the longest sig. Odd stuff that would just be fun to look at every once and awhile, that really had no meaning.

I'm content with the forums as is, really.

No.

No.

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? [/b]

I'm already a mod there and here, lol. So I dont really care, but it might prove to be interesting. [yes]

Yes.

No.

Higher Quality, Small range of Skins.

Original Works.

Yes, I frequently talk to myself, James.

Yea.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1][b]

[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be? [/b]

A manga forum. It's totally different from anime and there are so many different series being made available and becoming more popular that I honestly think it would be a big hit.

[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=black][size=1][font=rockwell] The poetry/ fan fiction forum serves as such.[/color][/size][/font]

Hands down the most important feature proposed is... to me...

The banner system.

That is awesome.

I have banners I have made, but due to my lack of knowledge about hosting and code, I havent had a banner for the last 6 months almost.

Now I can put a banner on just like the custom avatar... That is a true master piece.

This is the most important thing to me without a doubt and is actually something I had asked myself about..."why didnt they try doing this"?

So now you guys have put the perfect feature for me.

However, the rest of the stuff is also cool.

I like the idea of retro stuff and I also like the idea of close contact with the mods.

I keep with the mods of the forums on a regular basis or at any time I see something on the boards worthy of mention or "modding."

I personally dont think you need to worry about the sister site being more accessable... the little link at the bottom of the page works and worked fine for me.

The idea of pda's and all that stuff... nah. I dont use it, but Im sure someone does... however, the amount of people using that would be a small percent in comparison to the banner option.

I also think linking and affiliating with other boards is a BAD idea.

The members here are mostly quality posters and there are often newbs that come around and only last for about thirty post. There are just very high standards for our board and allowing affiliations with other sites would be a great invite for people who are cheese ball idiots.

Yet there is a problem... I would love to see the population of the otaku get higher to add to the diversity of people and post.

So in the end I take back what I said, it is an alright idea of become affiliated with other boards... it will bring new members and as long as they can keep with our standards, I say let them in.

Big point: The feature I would like to see above all others is the banner system.

That system sounds like it would be great and Im gonna look for it after I post... if its not there, I will be looking forward to its implimentation.

Thanks for letting us have a say Mr. James...

[size=1][color=darkblue]

>If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?

- I don't know, name changes keep popping in my head, but I know yall are already working on that one. Custom titles are definately something i DON'T want to see, I like the challenge of rising throught the ranks of OB (I'm a member now, I'm actually quite happy with that rank, I could remain a member forever not worrying, oh dear I'm rambling again, it kind of reminds me of nam...)

>If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?

-A forum for the one and only, JESUS! :p failing that, an EVA forum or otaku history forum would be quite adequate.

>Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com? (ie: closer fan art links, contests, etc)
yes. That would be quite, cool :cool:

>Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?

- No, We are quite an exceptional message community in our own right, we don't need outsiders [/redneck voice]

>Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? (ie: shared moderators, scheduled chat events etc)

- Not really, but then again, I just have a general dislike of chat rooms, except AIM, and talking to locals Flash or Neoc once in a while.

>Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards? (ie: do you feel that we need more spam control or less? Or are we just right?)

- Yes. our spam control is quite adequate.

>If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?

-uh, no. I can't stand cell phones. [spoiler] because I don't have one[/spoiler]

>Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?

- large variety, definately, something new and interchangeable for a time.

>Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works? (if you had to choose only one option)

-I think some themed ones would be nice, I am a huge fan of liquid skin, so yeah, more generic types would be cool too. We could have a Spirited away skin! If I knew how to make them, I'd make it myself :p

>Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB? (in other words, do you seek out Mods/Category Mods to help you when you are unsure of a rule or something like that)

-no, but I genreally don't have any problems here, if i did, I would yeah...

>Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies?

- yes, i think with the swear censor, and the anti [strike]pawn[/strike]porn policy (which is a little hard on chess fans) OB has all the child protection it ever needs.

NOTES: I think this board is really going to go places, And I am really excited about a few new things happening here ~_^, you guys always keep things very original and fresh.

I like the image in the sig being uploaded, it is a welcome change to outside hosting, you can never have a 100% reliable off site host, and img tags get monotonous at times.

Another thing I would like to see, is an swf file uploading feature, so we can show off flash animations, have flash banners ect. Is that plausable? I really don't know, heh. [/size][/color]

[font=arial][b]If you could choose only one new BIG feature for OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b] if you're talking about the stuff you've just mentioned, it would have to be the banner uploading thing. other than that, can't think of anything

[b]If you could only add one new forum to OtakuBoards, what would it be?[/b] I think it's fine the way it is.

[b]Would you like to see a closer link between OtakuBoards and sister site, theOtaku.com?[/b] not really

[b]Would you like to see OtakuBoards open an affiliation program with other message boards?[/b] well, could be interesting....

[b]Do you feel that theOtaku.com's chat system should be linked to OtakuBoards? [/b] yes

[b]Are you satisfied with the level of spam control on OtakuBoards?[/b] yis

[b]If you could access OtakuBoards on a handlheld device (PDA, Generation 3 Mobile Phone, etc), would you access it regularly in this way?[/b] no

[b]Is it more important to have a large variety of skins, or smaller (and higher quality) range of skins?[/b] smaller and high quality range of skins

[b]Would you prefer to have anime/gaming-themed skins or completely original works?[/b] [u]anime[/u]/[size=1]gaming[/size]/[u]anime[/u]

[b]Do you actively engage Moderators and Category Moderators if you are having problems on OB?[/b] yes

[b]Are you satisfied with OtakuBoards' child protection policies? [/b] yes

[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][color=black][size=1][font=rockwell] The poetry/ fan fiction forum serves as such.[/color][/size][/font] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Only for manga that is fan-written. Otherwise, manga is not poetry NOR fanfiction. It is a form of anime, only you read it in a book. Therefore, I don't see how that forum could be of much use at all as a manga forum.[/color][/size]

Actually, the forum was changed a while back. It allows for discussion of any sort of book/literature/whatever as well, including manga.

Either way, I don't think manga belongs in that forum. As it stands, most people seem to still talk about it in Anime Lounge as it is.