OtakuBoards

A push to ban toy guns?

Brasil

I must say. I am very disappointed with society these days. The fact that someone can create such a movement to ban toy guns is ludicrous.

Have we lost sight of the important battles in our country? Feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, making sure every American has someplace warm to live.

I saw an interview on Fox News with a woman who is spearheading this "Anti Toy Gun" movement. Apparently, this movement stemmed from a child getting shot dead by a police officer, after the child had pointed a toy gun at the cop. This woman insisted that toy guns be outlawed and banned and the only toy guns sold will be transparent or brightly colored (i.e., yellow).

The interviewer then held up a black toy magnum (which had an inch long, bright yellow tip) and asked if this would be okay, as it had some yellow in it. She said no, because that tip could easily be painted or broken off.

Upon hearing that, I immediately screamed at her. "What would prevent people from painting all of the yellow gun black?!??"

I find it extremely dense of her to say that. I don't think she's entirely thought out this attack and reasoning.

I do not believe banning toy guns is the answer. The problem is teaching the kids a proper way to behave. If the kid had any sensible upbringing, he would certainly have had the sense to NOT aim a toy gun at a cop.

Thoughts?

Well when I was 7 or so my mom wouldn't let me play with realistic looking toy guns (Yet I had fake swords that I would fight my brother with...o.O). I don't really see the point with most of them to be honest. Water guns are fun for kids to play with, and you can actually do something with them, I can understand that. But why would you want a toy killing machine? I wouldn't on the other hand go and ban them just because this one kid was shot by the police for doing something stupid. I'm sure lots of kids like to play with them and I'll respect that. Parents just shouldn't let their kids go out and play with them on the street. What kind of parent lets a kid like that out anyway? If he goes up to a policeman with a toy gun he definatly has some problems.

i hate this,it's rediculous!I'm against things like this in general,like banning violent video games??Screw you,I want to play whatever I want.It's my opinion that the idiot who can tell reality from fantasy fun shouldn't be playing with these things,but it's just silly.....banning toys?TOYS!?

EDIT:Is it just me,or are cops STUPID these days?I find it sad,cops are so stupid and abusive lately,I heard about how this one cop was looking into a case at this family's home,and they had their dog out,the dog barked and the cop shot the dog 12 times...in front of their 5 year old kids.....i hate cops,I really do....

[b]If the kid had any sensible upbringing, he would certainly have had the sense to NOT aim a toy gun at a cop.

[/b]

[size=1]Or maybe the cop would have had the sense not to shoot and kill a five-year-old kid.

I guess I can't really comment effectively on this. We never had toy guns when I was growing up. Not even water guns, heh. House rule.[/size]

I agree with this completely. Parents these days are too incompetent to deal with kids and thus all toy guns should be eradicated. Also TV should be heavily censored so that no matter christian one can be, they won't be offended or have their *** hating values de-moralized.

[color=red]I find it highly disturbing that someone would allow their child to have a physical representation of a object designed [b]solely to kill people.[/b] I'm all for banning toy guns. They should be banned, along with fake weapons of any kind, swords, etc.

They perpetuate the idea that violence is something that is perfectly alright. Kids get conflicting messages: "Don't punch your sister!" "Here's a fake weapon. Go pretend to kill people"(please note that parents don't actually say that..I apologise for corniness)
that's my rant.[/color]

Guns in America.... lol it's a joke. America has the highest murder rate using a gun out of all the fully developed economic and social countries. Canada has like 60 deaths a year using a gun, the Uk has like 5 or something near that. Australia has 20 or so... what does america have? 12 thousand... a year.... compared to 60 just one country north... FIVE to our greatest ally.

It's pathetic. Our country has a problem... our country has a bajillion problems... there are many ways to solve this, the president is taking no such action (the only action he does take is on other countries, he easily tends to forget about his own), so others are. If this will sove our gun problem, then do it. I personally don't believe banning toy guns or guns in general would do anything.... I think we need to use a word we rarely use.... education. Educate kids that guns aren't to be pointed at people. regardless toy or not. Educate them on what happens. Canada doesn't have a low murder rate w/ gun because it's people don't have guns. In fact 60% of canadians own guns. The question is not the possesion of guns, but the education of the person using it. Giving your kid a toy gun (real looking or not) and not telling them what to do with it is disaster waiting to happen. Billy will see Mel Gibson in some leathal weapon movie shootin at the bad guys and he'll go around pointing his toy gun at EVERYONE (cause thats what kids do) and some Police officer will think he's got a gun and shoot him.... oops already happened.

::sighs:: it'll never happen... not with our education system, not with the load of crappy parents in this worl and this country, and certainly not with a society already used to having 1 or 2 murders a day in their city involving the use of a deadly firearm.

[color=blue]They have awards for people doing really stupid things don't they? If they do, someone should give one to that cop. I don't think there is anything wrong with toy guns, having spent a large amount of my childhood, around at The Harlequin's, playing with toy guns, and pretending to kill things, and each other. WE TURNED OUT FINE!!
Yeah, the woman shouldn;t be trying to ban toy guns, she should be trying to put restrictions on the IQ of police officers. What a dumbass.[/color]

Guest Randleman
People who are stupid enough to point even representations of guns at people are stupid. How did that police officer know that the little kid hadn't found his dad's gun in a sock drawer or something and didn't know what he was doing? Was the cop going to stand there and get shot, just because it was a kid that had a gun? Don't think so.

I own a few airsoft guns (a G36c and M9 pistol) and besides the fact that they fire airsoft pellets, they look [i]exactly[/i] like their real-life counterparts. No orange or yellow anywhere. Now, if you go waving these around, you will get shot. But use common sense, don't go pointing or waving something at someone that they could contrew(sp?) as a gun. I keep them in a case when I'm not useing them, and the only time I take them out is to upgrade them or when I am at the arena and are getting ready to play.

Banning toy guns is wrong. I think all kids, at a young age, should be taught how to fire, clean, service, and be responsible with firearms. If that happened, alot of these "accidental shootings" wouldn't occur, because the kid would be smart enough not to aim a toy at a cop who has the real thing.

I didn't even know this was a debate anymore. Not one place in Chicago sells remotely realistic toy guns that I've seen. They haven't for at least 8 years now, and it started with places like Toys R Us and Target. I've not even seen brightly colored guns that are shaped like normal ones... It's pretty much goofy looking space/sci-fi guns and that's it. It's impossible for them to look like anything but a toy.

I don't know about this lady on TV.... but the main reasoning behind them stopping the sale for them here was the fact that they could be mistaken for [b]real[/b] guns. I shouldn't even have to explain why that would be a problem, especially in a big city like Chicago.

It had very little to do with "Oh my god! They'll grow up horrible and violent if they play with these!" although I'm sure that was probably the 2nd most popular reason. I'm only mentioning that since this thread kind of turned into that, instead of how parents and such should teach their kids responsibility.

Obviously, the cop should have had a lot more self control, although in those situations I suppose you can't always be completely rational. Many right out shoot anyone that is pointing anything at them without even questioning it. Some lady was shot for holding a black cell phone over here.

With little kids, you could teach them all sorts of gun safety... but obviously, to play with the guns they have to point them at eachother. If some younger kid saw a cop and was playing with a toy gun, I'd have to guess that most would want to play along with him. Depends on how old this kid was, I guess.

Either way, I don't see how a few parents who normally really contribute nothing to society in general are taking away from homeless programs or other causes and crusades. It's not as if congress is going over this instead of something like the budget or health programs or whatever else. It's just some random people.

If toy guns were banned, we would have a lot of very disappointed kids out there. Not only that, but kids could get in serious trouble if they had a toy gun hidden, which I am sure a few of them would do. Also, if they lack the ability to buy a fake gun, some of them may attempt to get real one later on.

That's just a thought....I don't really care since I don't play with toys too often. :p

[color=#707875]I don't know what to say about this, other than echo what everyone else here has said.

I guess I should just leave you with a quick thought. This movement is no different to the idea of banning Harry Potter in schools.

It's about dealing with symptoms and not causes. It's about scapegoating. And it's about ignoring one's responsibilities. Unfortunately, a lot of people sometimes buy into this rubbish. I don't like it, but I'm kind of resigned to it...these days, I expect no different. And that's a shame.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]I must say. I am very disappointed with society these days. The fact that someone can create such a movement to ban toy guns is ludicrous.

Have we lost sight of the important battles in our country? Feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, making sure every American has someplace warm to live.

I saw an interview on Fox News with a woman who is spearheading this "Anti Toy Gun" movement. Apparently, this movement stemmed from a child getting shot dead by a police officer, after the child had pointed a toy gun at the cop. This woman insisted that toy guns be outlawed and banned and the only toy guns sold will be transparent or brightly colored (i.e., yellow).

The interviewer then held up a black toy magnum (which had an inch long, bright yellow tip) and asked if this would be okay, as it had some yellow in it. She said no, because that tip could easily be painted or broken off.

Upon hearing that, I immediately screamed at her. "What would prevent people from painting all of the yellow gun black?!??"

I find it extremely dense of her to say that. I don't think she's entirely thought out this attack and reasoning.

I do not believe banning toy guns is the answer. The problem is teaching the kids a proper way to behave. If the kid had any sensible upbringing, he would certainly have had the sense to NOT aim a toy gun at a cop.

Thoughts? [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=indigo]Well see the main thing is that to her this is an important issue of America, just becuase you find it to be pointless, dense, and pathetic does not mean that all people it isn't a very important issue in their life.

Personally I think that its rather stupid, I'd rather my kid play with a Toy Gun then a real gun. We were all kids you know if something doesn't look realistic it drops the excitement of the toy. So they'd look at the real gun thinking it was a toy and next thing you know....boom he shot his best friend.

I think that situation is going to happen whether or not toy guns are banned. Toy guns only show what guns look like to kids. I'd rather they know what they look like then just picking one up not knowing what it could do. As long as the parent instructs the kid that one is a toy and the other isn't I think the child will be fine.\

As for the police officer shouldn't a little child, to me little is anywhere from 1-3rd grade and I think its completely stupid for a cop to feel complete threatened by 1-3rd graders concept of a gun. There is more to a gun then pulling a trigger and would the kid be able to load the gun, aim and shoot the cop. I severely doubt so, but hey thats my un-educated opinion so rock on![/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]I must say. I am very disappointed with society these days. The fact that someone can create such a movement to ban toy guns is ludicrous.

Thoughts? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep society sucks these days. I just can't belive I can' buy a rated M game without being asked for my damn age and giving them proof. Sadly I am not old enough to be 18. I mean who gives damn if they sell rated M games to a 4 yr old? Sadly this dissapoints me of having such an idiotic people living these days. But those assholes can't stop me from buying M rated games. I just get parents credit card and order them online although I would really like to be able to just go to a store and get them there..:)

I will end this with:

Society is made up of 70% people who are idiots. I mean they ban such stupid stuff but they won't go and ban and get rid of tobacco and alcohol which is more harmful to people than a stupid rated M game which is harmless since is all in reality a stupid CD. Now I hear they fine $150 or $500 to anyone who sells a person under 18 a M rated game.

Picture of most people in the society these days: :drunk:

Uh I don't really see the big deal. I mean why were toy guns created in the first place? I think giving them to little kids is a bad idea any way.

It sends the message that guns are toys that can't really hurt people. And you just know there's somebody out there stupid enough to believe it.

Plus they are entirely useless and serve no real purpose. Sure it may be a stupid thing to argue about, but frankly I really don't care if they do ban toy guns.

But thats just my opinion. :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by stardust [/i]
[B]EDIT:Is it just me,or are cops STUPID these days?I find it sad,cops are so stupid and abusive lately,I heard about how this one cop was looking into a case at this family's home,and they had their dog out,the dog barked and the cop shot the dog 12 times...in front of their 5 year old kids.....i hate cops,I really do.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Something like this also happened near me, exept it was when a family coming home from a vacation was pulled over by a cop and the father warned the police officer that the dog was in the backseat(the dog was like, one foot tall by the way). When the officer opened the back door, the little dog jumped out and the officer shot and killed the dog right in front of the family. What a way to end a vacation, huh?

About the toy gun ban. I think it is stupid to take away all toy weapons. It is easy to tell the difference between a toy sword and a real sword. I think toy guns should be made with bright colors so that a person knows they are just toys. Also, I think it should be the parents responsabilty to decide weather their child is mature enough to play with a toy gun. I could not play with the boys around my block who always played with guns until I was 8 and I understood that guns could kill people in real life.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by stardust [/i]
[B]EDIT:Is it just me,or are cops STUPID these days?I find it sad,cops are so stupid and abusive lately,I heard about how this one cop was looking into a case at this family's home,and they had their dog out,the dog barked and the cop shot the dog 12 times...in front of their 5 year old kids.....i hate cops,I really do.... [/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah and did you hear about that one that did a ritual sacrifice with this one mother?

Man i hear yea Poison.

I cant stand how obnoxious people are these days in saying the only way to stop something is to ban them. Of course the easiest solution to this problem is to...hmmmm...let me think...not purchase the toy gun for the child. And as a parent if you notice your child with a device you dont like, then GET RID OF IT. Just use some common sense, thats the solution to this ladies problem, you dont have to get out of control over a freak accident. I truly feel sry for the child who died and even feel more sry for the cop who shot him, but unfortunantly im irriated by this women who thinks an "all bright colored gun" is basically safeproof compared to a "tiped yellow gun" since the tiped one can be broken off or colored black. The reason why it isnt safeproof Poison already stated, and so i think we should follow Poisons ideas and teach the parents before the children.

And BTW how old was the kid Poison since i think the age can make a little bit of a difference as well to my opinion?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Perfect Cell [/i]
[B]I agree with everything the thread-starter says. It's just plain...uh...IGNORANCE. Yeah, ignorance thats the ticket. [/B][/QUOTE]

Why is it ignorant? Is it ignorant she recognizes that this country has a problem? Is it ignorant that she has more balls than you and every man here to stand up and speak her mind in a free country?

It may be ignorant that she only gives one possible explanation to deal with this problem, but at least it's something, even as ridiculous as it is. No one else has, and the government hasn't stepped up to even recognize the problem itself. If the people in power can't handle their own country, the people who live here will. And quite frankly, I commend this woman for her courage, her intelligence, and her will to stand up to the idiotic government, the idiotic Fox New Press, and all the idiotic people who refuse to acknowledge there is a HUGE gun problem in this country and we NEED to deal with it, whether we want to or not.

Guest Randleman
Yes America has a gun problem. But banning toy guns won't help. Toy guns don't kill, they get people killed. So if you want to ban something, ban the things that do the killing. Ban the guns.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Why is it ignorant? Is it ignorant she recognizes that this country has a problem? Is it ignorant that she has more balls than you and every man here to stand up and speak her mind in a free country?[/B][/QUOTE]
Just because a woman has some ridiculous reasoning inside of her head and wants to force everyone to obey her doesn't make her brave.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Randleman [/i]
[B]Yes America has a gun problem. But banning toy guns won't help. Toy guns don't kill, they get people killed. So if you want to ban something, ban the things that do the killing. Ban the guns. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly i couldnt say it better myself. And yes there has been cases like this before and i know of other times when the issue of involving the banning of toy guns has been brought up. What they should do is ban guns all together. I know this is never going to happen since it is to late that America's government and society is already corrupt, but at least this makes more of an impact then just saying to ban toy guns. Like i said before, all that really has to be done is discipline on children from the parents. If a childs disobeys a parent and goes out of his/her way to by a toy gun and was told by their parent [U]repeatedly[/U] that toy guns are not allowed then the child will have to be punished. All in all this is basically a fluke accident anyway. Now that i just thought of it the starter of this thread said the child pointed the gun at a police officer. I mean come on at the age of three i knew to never point any gun like object at a man/women in a blue uniform since my parents told me not to, so once again its basically the parents fault for not telling their child this in the first place.

Guest XBebop
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][b]If the kid had any sensible upbringing, he would certainly have had the sense to NOT aim a toy gun at a cop.

[/b]

[size=1]Or maybe the cop would have had the sense not to shoot and kill a five-year-old kid.

I guess I can't really comment effectively on this. We never had toy guns when I was growing up. Not even water guns, heh. House rule.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

i REALY hope your being sarcastic..

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Why is it ignorant? Is it ignorant she recognizes that this country has a problem? Is it ignorant that she has more balls than you and every man here to stand up and speak her mind in a free country?
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I don't think it is ignorant, I think it is a stupid, illogical approach to a very real problem. Hand Guns are a problem in America, not toy guns. If we take realistic looking toy guns away from children, the gun problem is not going to get any better. If anything there will be even more curious little ignorant kids rummaging through daddy's closet, finding real guns, because they are not outside playing with toy guns...okay maybe a little far-fetched but still, you get my drift...

I don't applaud her bravery either...I think she is a stupid woman fighting for a stupid, pointless cause. There are real problems in America, toy guns is not one of them.

As for the child that was killed, I think the officer should be arrested for murder. I think that if someone 13 years or younger pulls a gun on a cop, that officer has the moral duty to wait until actual shots are fired before returning fire...if he/she has to take a bullet to make sure they don't accidentally shoot a kid, tough. Who said being a police officer was without risks?[/color]