OtakuBoards

High School Stereotyping

Guest Altron Gundam

Guest Altron Gundam
Well, now that I'm heading into my second year of college this might seem a little behind me, but since I'm guessing the majority of you are heading into or are currently in high school, I guess I'm gonna ask how you feel the stereotyping of the different high school groups are, and if so, what group do you feel you most likely represent?

As for myself, I was more like an athelete that had a well-rounded social life. Popular sure, but I liked to focus on my g/f, basketball, and getting through school really.

In my school, it's usually the geeks, the popular ones (medium pretty much), and the preps. I fall under the popular ones since I'm well known around my school, but I don't think I'm "all that" and stuff. I'd hate to be a prep. They always think they're better becaue they're the more popular. Oh yes, and there's the druggies XD

Guest Crimson Spider
Well, they made sterotyping because that usually in a group of people, they all seem to exibit the same... how to phrase this... personality and sorts like that.

I'm more of an outcast nerd :glasses:, and a poké-geek of sorts :freak:. I don't really have a group, since I am the lone member at A-tech of this sort, and pretty much the whole frikken state.

There are so many goths at A-tech, it makes me want to hack them all away with my sword. :devil: Yes, I do have a sword. :D

EDIT: I do, however, think that the sterotyping is quite accurate.

I don't like it very much...everyone at my school is all cliquey. There are:
The Russians
Drama geeks
Goth/punk
Unpopular
outsiders/newcomers
Jocks/Cheerleaders
popular
and semi-popular (I fall into this group)
I don't like the sterotyping much. I wish that we could all get along, but we don't. Russians just jabber away in Russian and you get the idea.

There are a lot of groups in my school that aren't sterotyped at all. But those groups consist of geeks (that's what I would consider myself to be), jocks, preps, the inbetweens, and the all around popular people. There are a few of the sterotypes in each group of people.

My school has every stereotype imaginable, but that's just because we're an arts school.
I don't really like to stereotype. I find it more lucrative to keep an open mind and then exploit people when you know them well enough...
heh.

[FONT=arial]here's most of the stereotypes at my school

- overachievers: in BETA club (and every other club), star in sports, and just about everything else. doesn't get home from school until 7 at night during the school week. everybody at least knows their names, since their names are called at least 50 times during Honors Night.
- rednecks: the camo-wearin' country-lovin' southern folk. some people like 'em, some don't.
- jocks: people who play in at least 2 spring sports and/or football. kinda like the band junkies (look below at 2nd sentence).
- band junkies: marching band, color guard, and drill team; the people who put on that awesome show during half-time ^_^. people don't look down on us much at all really, unless they've got a problem with you personally and such.
- rockers/goths: self-explanatory. some people like 'em, some don't, some don't particularly care.
- gaming freaks/card players: the people who sit in the corner of the lunchroom playing Magic the Gathering. unfortunately kinda looked down upon here.

meh, I think that's about it. I would be in the band junkie category, considering that's what took up all my after-school time this year, though next year I'm probably gonna be one of those overachievers (except without the sports; uncoordination-ness). there's quite a bit of stuff I'd like to look into activities-wise.[/FONT]

I am quite positive stereotyping goes on at my school, but i don't know what it is. I make a concious decision to ignore all social catagories so that I can remain unbiased when meeting new people.

Granted, I'm anti-social, so I usually don't like the new people that I meet. But at least I hate them for the jerks that they are, not because of superficial social status. ("Superficial social status"...that sounded cool...I should write that down...)

In my school there are only a few groups because there are an average of 50 in a class but they are Popular/jocks, Punk/Goth, Druggies. I am in the popular group I am well know in my school but I am not one of those stuck up little princesses.

[COLOR=coral][SIZE=1]I would be...uh...I don't really have a category. I have a good number of friends, so I'm not an outcast. I'm not the most well known person in school, I'm not unpopular either.

Meh..I'm the quiet one. If you don't know me, you're lucky if you can hear me say a word.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I know I shouldn't but I tend to stereotype almost all people at school.

[b]Goths/freaks:[/b] People who dress in black every day. Some of them are OK, but some people don't like them.

[b]Preps:[/b] The people who insist in wearing expensive clothing and act like they're better than everybody else. These people tend to be annoying from my point of view, but a lot of people like them. They usually hang around in groups. Some of the boys in this group are jerks.

[b]Jocks:[/b] People who play a lot of sports. Some of them(mostly boys) tend to be jerks. But some are OK.

[b]Rednecks:[/b] Considering in the part of the country I live in, we have A LOT of these. They like to go hunting and they come to school a lot in camoflage overalls. You'll also see them wearing T-shirts with the Confederate flag on it.

[b]Outsiders/anti-social:[/b] Quiet people. They don't speak much. Usually not the more popular people.

[b]Nerds/geeks:[/b] People who are really smart. Self explanitory, really.

[b]Troublemakers:[/b] People who continuously get into trouble and into fights. Very annoying.

[b]Normals:[/b] People who don't fit into any category mentioned above. They don't get exceptionally good grades, nor bad ones. They're just pretty average people.

Well, that's pretty much all of the stereotypes I find where I go to school. I'd probably fit into outsider or normal. Or maybe geek/nerd... I dunno.

[size=1]Heh, well. We've a fairly small school, so we don't have all the stereotypes you guys are listing off.

I'm in Drama. The vast majority of my friends are in drama. A few aren't, but hang out with us anyway. (They're so forgiving, heh.)

So, yeah. If I were to "choose" a stereotype/clique for myself, it'd be drama 'geek.'

[b]Usual Suspects[/b] is the "title" of the group I hang out with. There really isn't any stereotype that fits everyone. (Not that that's the point of stereotypes, heh) Most are in drama, but not all. Many play soccer, but not all. Several like anime and gaming; some can't pronounce "anime." A few are great artists, some can't draw a stright line with aid of a ruler. Several are genius--or near it; some are convinced their going to fail half their classes. A lot of them are really tall. o0 Heh. It's a great little group, though.

The other people I hang out with would be...Huh, I have no idea how to describe them. They hang out on one of the stairwells every morning before school. I guess they're about as "antisocial" as we've got at our school. Almost a political group, they're sort of a subset of the Band people. Somewhere between punk and communist. o0 My sister's one of them more than I am, heh. But they're great once you get to know them.[/size]

I'm the all round okay chick!

1st of all for those who don't know this I'm Asain, and there's only like 9 other Asain in the whole school and 3 of them of graduating this spring. I'm one out of 2 Asains in my class of 565 kids!

So that already made me kinda of an outsider, but I'm smart, I'm going to be a sophomore, but most of my classes are junior classes. I'm in the top 7% of my class...

I'm a starter on our volleyball team, and I have one of the best serves on the team also.

I'm in Drama, too. I did acting competations, and the Spring play, the only reason why I didn't do the Fall play was cause of Volleyball.

But I'm into anime, and that kinda makes me a little different...my volleyball friends don't get why I'm into it, and only some drama kids do...

And I'm not completely ugly, I'm not allowed to date until I'm 16, so when alot senoirs asked me out, I had to shut them down. So I have no appeal to guys in my grade but to upperclassmen.

I not popular, but I'm not unpopular, I'm semi-popular...I don't know if I'm even that. For you see, I hang out with alot of upperclassmen, rarely anyone in my grade, except for my b-fs Samantha and Jake. Most of my friends are going to be juniors, seniors, and freshmen in college.

One day I said that I was stupid, and my other b-f(Emily), said that she doesn't even know of a stupid asain. And that asains cannot be stupid...

So guess I'm an anime lovin geek, volleyball jock who cause of that is semi-popular, who does drama, and hangs out with alot of upperclassmen.

::laughs joyously::

Aaaaaaaaaah I'm SO glad that I don't have to even ponder upon the words "cliques in high school" anymore! ::does a cartwheel::

It's all silliness, stupidness, superficial dum-dum, get-over-yourself-ness. I really didn't ever pay attention/care. I mean, if you are "defined" by what you do or what you look like, then you couldn't slap much of a label on me anyway--so why should I care?!

I was in band and played snare drum 4 years and was section leader my senior year, I was on the competition dance line, and I did plays/got 4th in Region for Girls' Dramatic Interp. I was also a B+ student, in NHS but never got close to being in BETA club, had a lot of friends but never went to the parties, ..... do you see what I mean? I just lived my life and didn't care THAT for what anyone else thought of it. It's too bad that so many teenagers don't think like that; I was quite happy during high school, carefree if you would. I think some of the emotional crap teenagers get comes from that nagging worry of 'what'll they think of me?!!!?'

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Emme888 [/i]
[B]I'm the all round okay chick!

1st of all for those who don't know this I'm Asain, and there's only like 9 other Asain in the whole school and 3 of them of graduating this spring. I'm one out of 2 Asains in my class of 565 kids!

So that already made me kinda of an outsider, but I'm smart, I'm going to be a sophomore, but most of my classes are junior classes. I'm in the top 7% of my class...

I'm a starter on our volleyball team, and I have one of the best serves on the team also.

I'm in Drama, too. I did acting competations, and the Spring play, the only reason why I didn't do the Fall play was cause of Volleyball.

But I'm into anime, and that kinda makes me a little different...my volleyball friends don't get why I'm into it, and only some drama kids do...

And I'm not completely ugly, I'm not allowed to date until I'm 16, so when alot senoirs asked me out, I had to shut them down. So I have no appeal to guys in my grade but to upperclassmen.

I not popular, but I'm not unpopular, I'm semi-popular...I don't know if I'm even that. For you see, I hang out with alot of upperclassmen, rarely anyone in my grade, except for my b-fs Samantha and Jake. Most of my friends are going to be juniors, seniors, and freshmen in college.

One day I said that I was stupid, and my other b-f(Emily), said that she doesn't even know of a stupid asain. And that asains cannot be stupid...

So guess I'm an anime lovin geek, volleyball jock who cause of that is semi-popular, who does drama, and hangs out with alot of upperclassmen. [/B][/QUOTE]

"One day I said that I was stupid, and my other b-f(Emily), said that she doesn't even know of a stupid asain. And that asains cannot be stupid..."
What is an Asain, is that anything like being Asian?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Xai [/i]
[B][b]Nerds/geeks:[/b] People who are really smart. Self explanitory, really.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I hate this stereotype alot. I'm not going to lie, I'm really smart, but I really don't like being considered a nerd or a geek. Those two terms really seem to have a negative connotation and are usually considered insulting.

THANK GOODNESS I'M OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL!

I wasn't really put into any sort of category. The way I saw it, it was [b]People I liked[/b] and [b]People I don't like.[/b] That basically sums it for me. I know that I have a lot more confidence since I graduated though. My sisters have started calling me vain. I can't help it I'm beautiful...*dies laughing*[/color][/size]

[color=indigo]I heard a really good quote on "Spider-Man" that stated "College is just High School with ash trays". I thought college was very similar with the social stereotypes. I tend to think that there are just so many more people that you can clique with in college that the steotypes don't seem to matter as much.

To be honest, an outgoing friendly person is usually easily accepted throughout most cliques as long as you are friendly and have a good sense of humor. In high school I was definatly more Abercrombie and Fitch Jock then Goth, yet I tended to hang out with more goths, "band geeks", and "Drama nerds" then any thing else...I guess it is just best to associate with those that have similar intersts...[/color]

i go to a high school that's considered elitist in NYC and surprisingly enough, i dont think we have much stereotyping there. we all (with no exceptions!) fall into the "nerdy" category with "slightly nerdy" and "verrry nerdy" subcategories- haha =P
L.

This outta be a fun topic.

I'm me. Going into my last year of highschool, I'm glad i'm almost out;However, the amount of "groups" in my school, over the years, have drifted, and sifted, into only a few.

We have the "preps" You know, those ultra uber good looking people that always get away with everything, tend to randomyl get alright, if not always good grades, and never seem to have any real traumatic experiences.

We also have the "nerds/geeks/geniuses". You know, those ppl with the super high backpacks, large rimmed glasses, pocket protectors, and such.

Then, the "punks" or the "hard rockers", or the "goths". You hardly ever see these guys in school, cause they tend to skip on an open campus.

Then, last but not least by any stretch of the imagination. We have the " I'm gonna be me, and act how I want, cause I dont give a rats *** what you think" group. :D :devil: Thats when all the skaters, and the nobodies, and the casual ppl that everybody generally knows, and likes, or dislikes, meld into one group.

Personally, I am the nobody. I'm the guy that msot ppl know of, but dont really talk to. You'll look back into your yearbook, and say " hey, i knew that guy......................i think"

Well, I'm just going into junior high, but here's what I've learned in the educational jungle, thus far.. (I fit into a few)
- GATE kids (Smart people) I am in this group.. Ya get the idea, we get the special assignments and always get A's...
- Athletic Peoples. Well, it's self-explainatory, huh? (This is [i]not[/i] me.)
- Humorous Folk. Most of my friends are like this.. They all act really dumb and get laughs... They do weird things, sometimes I pretend I don't know them.
- Otaku (YAY!! ME!) We are few and far between. If you're on OtakuBoards, I'm guessing you know what I'm talking about.
- (I don't know what to call them..) Bullies, I suppose, but not THAT mean.. They just act tough but are so strange it's funny.
- Other. (What else is there.. I don't know, I'm just too tired to write much) Ya know, like singers, performers.. Well, there will be more groups in Junior High, I'm guessing. ^_^'

Guest Altron Gundam
Well, really just cause a person is smart doesn't automatically make them a geek unless your school is really ignorant and has a bunch of halfwits for students.

Really what makes a "geek" stereotype is someone who spends ALL their time with schoolwork, acts like a frickin god showing off his smartness and thinks he's better than everyone else while having no other skills whatsoever.