OtakuBoards

Your best SSBM fighter!

duelist22

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hatake Kakashi [/i]
[B]Link is awesome, and I rock with him.

Ness is also cool, I like his moves. [/B][/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.

I'm sorry i have to disagree with everyone her my favorite is Pikachu. his speed makes him pretty easy to control and his electric move annoy even the best of opponants. true he maybe a bit slow with his thunder move (down + B) but hey i only use that for cheap knockouts if its really nessercery(sp?).

[color=green]I'd have to say my best character is Zelda/Sheik. I often switch between the two during a match, but most of the time. like many others, I stick with Sheik. Her/his quick but still powerful moves are just what I need to win, and Sheik's "break dancing"...I'll admit I fell in love with that.^^()

Zelda is who I switch to when I need more powerful, long-distance attacks. Usually if I'm in a short match, with other strong characters, I like to use her. Her magical abilites are [i]very[/i] powerful, and the fact that she's a princess, that's a big one-up.>>

I would say my secondary character is either Young Link or Pikachu. If you haven't noticed, I like quick characters, though Zelda is hardly fast, she isn't slow either.^^[/color]

Usually, I try to avoid the faster characters. More often than not, their speed is pretty hard for me to control. The only really fast characters I feel comfortable using are Fox, Captain Falcon and Marth. Characters that have a balance between speed and strength are more my style, because I can still get nice combos that can deal more damage.

[color=indigo]I have a few different characters that I'm best on (my favorites), more that I'm still good on but not extremely good, and the ones that I never play because I just don't like their moves. My best, in order of preference, are Link, Samus, Roy, and Ganondorf.

Link has a good mix of power and speed, and I've absolutely mastered his side smash attack and Spin Attack. I know just when to do the Spin Attack to hit them up, down, or straight out, and I'm good at hitting with both smash attack hits or, if they have too high percent to hit with both, I can time it right so that I only hit with the second, more powerful slash. I can even time it so that if someone is trying to jump at me, the second slash will come up to meet them. Not many attacks can get through that if you time it right. And it's the same thing with the Spin Attack, when people are trying to jump back up to the platform. I can time it just right so that the Spin Attack hits them back down and away, instead of hitting them up and away. I really only use his projectile attacks as annoyances to distract people while I close in for a hit with his sword.

With Samus, I use her projectile attacks as much as I do her melee attacks. I've gotten really good at jumping up in the air and firing a straight-shot missile and hitting people as they jump back to the platform, as well as using them against opponents that are on the ground. Most of her melee attacks are pretty strong, and her side smash attack is nice and quick. I love using the light down+A ground move against people that try and catch me in a barrage of normal A attacks. They may get in a couple hits, but then they're going to be flying up into the air when one of my flame attacks gets through. The only thing I don't like about Samus is that her rolling dodge is too slow.

For me, Roy is the master of combos. One time while playing some friends, I got it five hits with his dash attack, just dashing back and forth, hitting him up in the air with it, before finishing with either a side+A attack or side smash attack, can't remember which. I also love the light down+A ground attack-to-smash up combo. It's great for catching people off guard or breaking out or combos, much like Samus' light down+A ground attack. Then as they're coming back down, you can hit them with a side smash attack, or jump up to meet them with his up+B move. Also, I love his parry/counterattack move. If you're good with it, you can turn some of your opponent's most powerful attacks back at them. I can't help but grin evilly whenever I see Ganondorf charge up a B punch, and I'm just sitting there waiting to parry it.

Okay, first off, whoever says Ganondorf is way too slow hasn't played on Ganondorf enough. I've beaten a friend (who's about as good as I am) playing on Fox while I was playing on Ganondorf, so he's definitely not too slow--you just have to know how to use him. His air attacks rule, especially his up+A and back+A moves. In fact, most of my combos on Ganondorf involve getting them up into the air so that I can use his air attacks. I barely ever use his A moves on the ground unless there happens to be a good opening for a smash attack, or if I need a quick A button punch to knock someone back before they connect with a smash attack. His down+B and side+B moves are the ones I use most often on the ground. Down+B is a nice fast attack that's good for knocking people back, and side+B is good for knocking people up into the air where, depending on the situation, I can hit them with a smash up+A, up+B, or one of his air attacks. His side+B move is also good for shooting out off the edge and smacking people as they jump back to the platform. No one ever seems to see it coming, and it also looks like you're going to fall to your death, though you can recover with his up+B.

So, like I said, those are my best fighters. Others that I'm also good on include Mario/Dr. Mario, Pikachu/Pichu, Ice Climbers (am I the only one that uses them?), Falco/Fox, Captain Falcon, Marth, Peach, and Zelda/Sheik. Most of the others I'm not all that good on or not good on at all, though I can still hold my own while fighting free-for-all against three level 9 CPU players on almost every character.

My worst character is probably Mewtwo. His attacks just seem way too slow; almost every one seems to have a delay before it goes off, and he jumps so dang slow, too. I've just never been able to get the hang of him, though I suppose he could be good if used correctly. I just don't like him enough to spend that much time on him.[/color]

I see not many people chose Samus as their favorite character, hmm. [i]I'm very disapointed in all of you![/i] jk

As said, my "best" Super Smash Bros. Melee character is Samus, who I exclusively play as nearly all of the time in battle, so I'd say that I have gotten rather good with her.

In the previous game, my character for the first few months after I got it was Link, but I later moved on to Samus, and she's basically been my character ever since. When I first got Melee, I wanted a change, so I went with Roy, but his attacks mainly deal with close-hand fighting, which is often too risky, and I started using Samus again.

I don't really concentrate on any certain aspect of Samus, but instead use a variety of moves when I'm playing, so I might grab you with my grappler beam and throw you after a couple hits, shoot a missle at you, then hit you off the edge with a strong power hit. I really find Samus to be an all-around good character. She's fairly fast, has a decent amount of long range attacks, can hit pretty strong when up close, has an extended grab, and can jump pretty high, especially when using her usefull Up B screw attack.

Other characters that I like to use, but for nothing too serious of a battle, are Roy (despite focusing on his short range) and Link (sometimes). I usually stick with Samus every time anyway, but this is just in case I'm playing with friends who like to switch their character every round.

While we're on the topic of characters, [b]who do you think is the cheapest?[/b]

I've personally always regarded Kirby as being sort of cheap, mainly because my brother used to play as him, and I fought him anough to notice particular points that gave him the advantage. He clearly has the second, if not [i]the[/i] most jumps of any character in the game. Falling off the edge? Pokemon after you? No problem, he can simply jump away. He is also extremely short, short enough for a few attacks to go over his head without ducking, and he has that invincible rock move that leaves him unpenetrable, unless of course if you're close enough to grab him. And do I even need to get into swallowing people? He can use anyone's B move, for gosh sakes! My friend, on the other hand, insists without a doubt that Link is the cheapest character because, according to him, his attacks override every other character's.

But yeah, I havn't played Melee in a good while, and I should go down and challenge my brother or something. Maybe I'll see how many Samus level 9s I can take on without any items, hmm..

[color=crimson]This is definetely a tough a decision as I tend to vary in which character I choose to make things more fun, but in a tense battle against maybe a cocky friend I would use Donkey Kong purely because his attacks are powerful and I think he has skill. I'm not extremely bothered about speed I don't think its a major factor of how u play the game sometimes it can come to your advantage, and others maybe not. A great rush for a poke ball; speed is useful but sometimes its hard to control too much of an acceleration which could lead you accidently falling off the edge or treading on a proximity mine for example. I think there is certainly luck involved in SSBM, so even if your a master of the game their are some hazards which are just plain unavoidable.

*Back to the point* On SSB N64 my favourite character was Pikachu followed closely by Kirby who are still excellent characters on Melee! New characters that fascinated me are Roy; I just think he has the edge on Marth and looks better. ;) Also Ganandorf is good more patient version of Captain Falcon. God its been along time since I've played this game... Donkey Kong's smashes and throws are awesome in my opinion, but still I would be happy to challenge any of you if this game would ever go online (well next in series) with Roy, Pikachu, Kirby, Ganadorf, Samus or anyone!

/[i]Grant[/i]/ :demon:[/color]

[color=indigo]I don't think any of the characters are especially cheap. From my experience, the game is so well balanced that you can win on any character, against any character, if you play your character right. Items, however, I find to be very cheap in some situations. Mainly the recovery items, like Maxim Tomatoes and Heart Containers. If you happen to get a few really good items dropped on you, it can really give you an edge. (Though at least they toned down the Hammer in SSBM; you can actually put up a fight against it without having to come from below or use Kirby's brick down+B).[/color]

My favourite is pikachu... he's fast, annoys everyone else, and has a wicked up smash that got me heaps of KOs. But lately I've been using is fox and he can be really cool especially with his deflector shield, that saved me so many times.

But when push comes to shove, it still is pikachu since i won a tournament with him... hehehe...i got a really cool game cube bag now!!! so happy!

[FONT=times new roman]Syk3, you and I seem to share the same strategy in SSBM ^^. Basically just using what works, and I like Samus. I use her when I don't fight with Fox most of the time. I also like seeing how I fare against three level 9 CPUs. But that's my only real challenge, since my sister doesn't like playing it really.

As for a cheap character, I say Yoshi or Jiggly Puff. Yoshi being able to swallow you and turn into a egg for some cheap shots isn't fare. And Jiggly Puff's sleep move followed up with rest is pretty cheap.[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kaze [/i]
[B][FONT=times new roman]As for a cheap character, I say Yoshi or Jiggly Puff. Yoshi being able to swallow you and turn into a egg for some cheap shots isn't fare. And Jiggly Puff's sleep move followed up with rest is pretty cheap.[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

I think those moves would be cheap, except for the fact that they can be pretty hard to use correctly.

Yoshi's egg move isn't really good for that much damage (in my experience) and is really best for turning your opponents into eggs and making them fall off the stage. That's not really the easiest thing in the world to do, however.

Jigglypuff's moves can do a fair amount of damage, but they also leave Jigglypuff wide open to damage. So, the potential cheapness of the move is counteracted by the fact that Jigglypuff could also be killed off fairly easily because of it.

[FONT=times new roman]Well your right about that. I certainly couldn't get a good hit in with Yoshi using the egg move. And I don't use Jiggly Puff much because of sleep sometimes getting me killed. I can get plenty of cheap shots in with DK though, the head butt move, the super punch. And a couple of other moves.[/FONT]

[color=indigo]Jigglypuff's Sing/Rest (up+B/down+B) combo was a lot better in the original SSB. There, Sing would actually put people to sleep long enough for you to finish the move and use Rest on them. In SSBM, it seems like they always wake up just as, or sometimes even before, you finish the Sing move.

Though really, I wouldn't consider that combo to be very cheap anyway. If you miss with Sing, you're going to be hit with either a long range or air attack. It's not like it's an automatic hit or anything. If you want to see something cheap, try playing as Samus in the original SSB and constantly use the Screw Attack (up+B). [i]That[/i] is cheap, as it can break through almost every other attack in the game.

Oh, yeah, just remembered something; there [i]is[/i] an extremely cheap character in SSBM...but only when he's a CPU player. Luigi is that character, and I swear the game cheats for him when he's a level 9 CPU. There've been times (meaning more than once) that he's been on the edge of a level like Pokémon Stadium, where the point that you get KOed isn't all that far off from the edge of the platform, with around 150%. I hit him with a side smash attack towards the close edge (while I'm playing on Link or Samus), [i]and he doesn't get knocked off.[/i] And not only does he not get KOed off the side, but he manages to jump back to the platform with distance to spare. Never have I seen anyone else get knocked away that fast, that close to the edge, and not get KOed. Ever.[/color]

My best characters would have to be Peach (what's everybody laughing at?), Pichu & Pikachu, and Ness.

Peach has some relatively weak moves, but I kick much arse when I get ahold of a weapon. Especially a sword, which she handles better than anyone else in the game (in my opinion). Those crazy turnips also come in handy when it comes to throwing them at close range (throw it, catch it after it bounces off of your oponent, repeat). And if I had a dime for everytime that umbrella saved me in the moving stages...

I started loving Pichu and Pikachu once I finally mastered zipping/teleporting with them. Plus I had that huge thunderbolt attack down to a science. There are only a few times where that attack actually works: when your opponent is foolish enough to come at you from above, when you and your opponent are jumping toward one another (requires exact timing), when they're standing on a platform just above you, when they forget that attack altogether, and when Jigglypuff puts itself to sleep.

At one point, I had almost mastered controlling Ness' PK Thunder. I'm a little rusty, though. Still, there was a time when I could weave his thunder around platforms, between objects, and around opponents I wasn't aiming for. The only thing I could never do was hit myself with it properly. Instead of saving myself from falling off of a platform, I usually just lunged myself off of the screen faster.

I'd have to say Roy is a very cheap character. Roy has the largest sword in the game, and there's no point in going hand-to-hand with the guy. He'll knock you away before you have a chance to smack him with your umbrella.

Guest The Penguin God
The best fighter is most definitely Pikachu. Why? Because of his speed, and height. Yes, it's good to be short when many of the projectiles are as deadly as the A-attacks. He can duck under most any projectile, then run up and grab the person, shocking them twice then using a back throw to somersault them off the stage. But that's not a good technique in itself. The Thunder Drills Pikachu has are great for increasing damage in the air, and his normal non-smash attacks do great damage. His Thunder is a kind of hard move to pull off, but it's definitely worth it. The best way for me is to jump over a person, and, while keeping my forward momentum use the Thunder. if used correctly, the lightning bolt will hit the user, but not you. You'll move farther away, actually. Which means you're safe and they're dead.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Bouncer
My all out best and favorite person is kirby... il like his little suck up power and his big clow feeet have good reach. im also good wit Samus, and Link... i will beat anyones *** with these 3

My best fighter would have to be Young Link, for some reason hes even better than regular link for me. I've mastered all of his moves and i hardly ever lose with him. I've beaten the game so im kinda bored with it now. Does anyone know of any secrets that can be unlocked?