OtakuBoards

good old SNES games

Lord Prozen

[color=royalblue]hey has anyone ever played a really good SNES game that they wanna share? well tell the game here and say why you liked it fav part whatever. i love FF3/6. that was one of the best FF games ever. my fav caricter is Sabin. his blitz is really cool. bumb rush owns. i love the entire game. and then theres secret of mana. lol ive had so much fun on that game playing in with my friend. we've almost beat it. what games from the SNES do you like? and why?[/color]

I loved Donkey Kong Country! My siblings and me played it all the time. We would always play together. Every day when we got home from school, we would go straight downstairs and play it. Remembering the good ol' days. Whatever happened to them?
I remember it took us FOREVER to beat it, because we really weren't that good, especially me!!!

Bleh, I hated Donkey Kong Country.

It's probably no surprise that I'm going to talk about one of my favorite underrated games of all time, Kirby Super Star (I've been obsessed with finally buying the game lately - it would help if Nintendo released a remake for the GBA).

For those who weren't lucky enough to play the game (and I'm assuming there were a lot, since it was released at the end of the SNES regime), Kirby Super Star was the last of the Kirby games released for the SNES and, in my opinion, the best Kirby game of all time.

First of all, you're not just getting one all-new Kirby game, but nine. That's right, nine all-new Kirby games in one cartridge! There hadn't been a bargain this big since Super Mario All Stars was released. The games range from totally easy (Dyna-Blade) to hard (Milky Way Wishes) and everywhere in between.

The highlights of the game are Milky Way Wishes, Revenge of the Meta Knight, and The Great Cave Offensive, all of which could be stand alone Kirby games. Milky Way Wishes and Revenge of the Meta Knight are both the standard, fun Kirby games (even though Milky Way Wishes is longer and more challenging). The Great Cave Offensive involves Kirby going through a giant cave akin to something like Super Metroid and collecting treasures and beating bosses, which I thought was really cool.

The mini-games are fun as well. One of them is a game in which you match up a yo-yo looking thing into a circle, so that your character can break through more blocks than your opponent. It doesn't sound like much, but it gets really addicting if you play with a friend. Likewise, with the samurai game. In this game, once the symbol is shown on the screen, you have to tap the A button as fast as you can so that you can attack your opponent. Quite addicting if you can play with a friend.

Overall, if you can find Kirby Super Star for really cheap, then I would suggest getting it. I once saw Kirby Super Star for $10 at a video game rental store and regretfully passed over it - one of the most idiotic video game related decisions I've ever made.

Killer Instinct is an awesome SNES game. I have a friend who, to this day, is obsessed with it. He even has the KI soundtrack! It was a like a 16-bit (or 32? I forget...) Soul Calibur. Orchid's combo's are just wicked - "MASTER COMBO!" would just scream out from the speakers and you knew you were owned.

:p

Of course there are the other "standard" classics - Super Mario titles, Starfox, F-Zero Roc, Super Mario Kart, DBZ: Hyper Dimension (well, for me), and all the FF titles (FFIII rules).

One of my all-time faves is Secret of Mana. It gets a little hard at places, especially(sp?) near the beginning, when you can't afford Cups of Wishes, but I don't care. The story's cool, fighting is quite fun, and there are some truly awesome boss battles(like the fight with the Mana Beast at the end). I'm looking forward to Sword of Mana for GBA.

As Gohan Egret said Hyper Dimension is an AWESOME game if you are a fan of DBZ. It's in the top three DBZ games of all times (Legends and Budokai are up there somewhere). If you are a fan of Gundam you should check out Endless Duel, that is also a great fighting game.

Other than that you have all Nintendo titles, Super Turrican, MM7/9/X/X2/X3, Plok, and Sunset Riders.

Another great SNES game that rarely gets talked about is ActRaiser.

ActRaiser's action levels were fairly fun. They were full of nice fighting sequences and some boss battles, but frankly, that wasn't the reason to play this game.

The reason to play this game was the innovative city-building system that was [i]way[/i] ahead of its time. In those parts of the game, you played as this weird angel and you helped the people of the world rebuild their villages by fending off enemies, finding special items, and constructing buildings. This part of the game was the really fun part, in a SimCity kind of way. You can see the influence from this in games like Azure Dreams (for PS) and Dark Cloud (for PS2).

If you ever get a chance to check out this game, I would heartily suggest doing so. It's well worth it.

I loved FF3/6 as well, but someone already talked about it :p.

Hm ... Recently I started playing Earthbound again, another RPG. It's pretty enjoyable. The good thing about it is that it's not incredibly easy, which is what usually makes RPG's kind of boring for me. Also, the characters' speeches are pretty funny and slightly sarcastic, and the creators sort of poke fun at RPG's. Ness's mother will say things like, "It's not often a mother will let her young son go on an adventure all by himself ... But I'm going to." And characters will be like, "If you get hit, your HP meter ... oops! I mean, your [i]health[/i] will decrease." So yeah, I enjoy Earthbound.

Starfox2 is now my favorite snes game. The final beta recently leaked onto the internet and I got to play it through the wonders of emulation (Which I assume is legal, because it never came out. Just don't IM me asking for it, because I'm not going to send it). It's a lot like Starfox 64, which is the reason Nintendo didn't release it.

When it comes to games that actually came out, I would have to say Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country 2 were my favorites. I'm really into side scrollers, and those just happened to be the ones I enjoyed. I grew up on mario, and Donkey Kong was funny/bizzare. I mean where else will you see a monkey riding through lava on a Rino that's on a balloon killing giant bees?

• 2 weeks later...
Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 were ALWAYS my favorites. I had the guides, galleries, everything on them. Me and my friend beat the game so many times but had to collect banana birds to get to the secrets:P. we would get in trouble at school for reading the guides instead of novels haha it was so fun.

Guest RPG&BattleKing
Ahhh.... vague memories of times long past. Around 6 years ago I had a friend with a snes. I used to watch him play the legend of zelda a link to the past. Then we would play super Mario Brothers forever...... until we'd get so bored we COULDN'T play.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B]I loved FF3/6 as well, but someone already talked about it :p.

Hm ... Recently I started playing Earthbound again, another RPG. It's pretty enjoyable. The good thing about it is that it's not incredibly easy, which is what usually makes RPG's kind of boring for me. Also, the characters' speeches are pretty funny and slightly sarcastic, and the creators sort of poke fun at RPG's. Ness's mother will say things like, "It's not often a mother will let her young son go on an adventure all by himself ... But I'm going to." And characters will be like, "If you get hit, your HP meter ... oops! I mean, your [i]health[/i] will decrease." So yeah, I enjoy Earthbound. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have said this before. That you are one of the coolest people here. But someone that enjoys Earthbound almost as much as I do? Well, they just are kick ***. You are amazing! lol

[img]http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/16387/mrsaturn.jpg[/img]
BOING!?

No RPG reaches the humor that Earthbound did. The translation was unequaled at the time, and in some ways, still is. I never had such a fun time playing an RPG just because of how damn quirky it was. I remember all of it so vividly.

I cannot wait for Mother 1+2 for the GBA.

• 4 weeks later...
I liked Earthworm Jim. I had it and a SNES until my parents found all my video games and little tv and threw them out. My parents are the "TV is the devil" kind of people. Hmm......Come to think of it, they thought [i]everything[/i] was a tool of Satan. I'm sure glad I don't live in their house anymore. Well anyway, Earthworm Jim was the only SNES game I've ever played and I loved it.

• 2 weeks later...
Earthworm Jim was a great, great game. Very off the wall even if the gameplay got a bit frustrating (especially near the end of the game - yikes, was that hard).

Anyway, I'm bringing back this thread to honor what I consider to be the second greatest platformer of all time (just behind Super Mario Bros. 3). That game is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

The first thing just about everyone notices about this game are the strikingly gorgeous graphics - they're easily the best that the Super Nintendo has to offer. The bright colorful nature of the characters, coupled with the sprite distorting nature of the game's bosses make for a truly unique graphical experience.

The gameplay is as good, if not better, than the graphics. The basic goal of the game is to reach the end of the level with Baby Mario still intact (and you'll want to keep Baby Mario on your back as much as you can, because he screams like a smurfing banshee if you get hurt and let him go). Each level is crafted with expert detail and are all very interesting to go through (best level - Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy; it makes you wonder if certain people at Nintendo know what it's like to be on an acid trip).

The bosses are very original and very fun to beat. They make great use of the eggs that Yoshi uses to beat enemies and present challenging ways of finding out how to beat them. To put it simply, I love fighting the bosses in this game and fight them as often as possible.

The best part is that the game is very easy to find as it has been recently re-released as a Game Boy Advance game. To those unfortunate souls who have yet to experience this fantastic game, I would heartily suggest buying the game (or at least renting it). I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.

Well, I love The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but Super Metroid is definitely up there.

I consider it my second favorite SNES game and my second favorite game of all time. I love the way that all of the corridors and levels interconnect with each other...this is still the pinnacle of this style of levels in a game. No other game (not even Castlevania: SOTN) has done it as well as Super Metroid.

The soundtrack is still my all time favorite gaming soundtrack...it always matches the pace, flow and atmosphere of whatever moment in whichever level you happen to be in. Quite amazing to listen to.

The bosses...my God, they're great. Each boss has a different way to beating it and they're all tons of fun to beat...I wish there was an option to go back and fight them again, heh.

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Oh, yeah. The SNES is my third fave console, next to the SP, just because of the graphics.

I totally grew up on Nintendo (Chrystalis...), then came the SNES, in which my older brother got for Christmas back in '93. I always watched him play it.

Chrono Trigger is my ultimate fave. I wasn't too big on RPGs back then, but when I heard my brother in his room playing a game called "Chrono Trigger" that he had rented (this was about '96-'97, when SNES games were still rentable in our town). Of course, I was curious, and since I always played platformers, I didn't know what an RPG was, except for Ultima and Dragon Warrior.

Then, later on, I took my allowance and rented CT for about a week. That fateful day, my friends, started everything. I played it for two days [B]straight[/B] (a first for me then, but later on, the scenario played again when I played FFIX).

CT and FFVII got me into the RPG world at an alarming rate.

But there's some more awesome SNES games that I loved playing oh-so-long ago. Most have already been mentioned, but who cares?

My most memorable moments when playing SNES (I still play it) was the game's music. So when I think of SNES, I think of SoulBlazer and Super Street Fighter Turbo (strange...whenever Ryu shoots out a Ki blast, it sounds like he's saying "A bull-sh**!").

Yes, Earthworm Jim is an awesome character and game! I have an Earthworm Jim action figure on my shelf right now...'can't believe they still make those things...

Right now, I the SNES RPG's I own are: Breath of Fire, Lufia and Lufia II, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Paladin's Quest, the Zelda game and SoulBlazer (luv it). Yes. But both Lufia games costed me a bundle. Now all I have to do is get FFII at the pawn shop...

My fave platformer is Super Metroid, but since it's my brother's, and he's in college, I can't play it! We've had it since it came out in '94. Me and my brother love the SNES. His fave game is ActRaiser, too. I never got into it. Equinox pissed me off...hard...then there's Super Mario RPG...

Earthbound is just simply [B]great[/B]. In the ending credits, Ness's dad was labelled as the phone you used a lot in the game! That totally cracked me up.

Wait! Has anyone played Boogerman and The Lost Vikings?? Now [B]those[/B] are classics!

And Kirby Super Star? I never stopped playing the Treasure-Hunting adventure.

[B]Argh![/B] *kicks Shinmaru in the head*[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Seriously, this post came out of nowhere lol. I will have fun replying to this hehe.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dark_serena [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Oh, yeah. The SNES is my third fave console, next to the SP, just because of the graphics.

I totally grew up on Nintendo (Chrystalis...), then came the SNES, in which my older brother got for Christmas back in '93. I always watched him play it.[/size][/color][/b][/quote]

Crystalis was a cool game but I never played it too much, heh. I don't even remember it too much on the NES...I mostly played the Game Boy Color version (which I hear isn't as good as the NES version).

I got my SNES in '91, heh. I still remember the day...I was pretty sick and I'd been miserable for about a week. I feel asleep and when I woke up, my dad walked into my room with the SNES and Super Mario World. Needless to say, I felt a bit better ~_^

[QUOTE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Chrono Trigger is my ultimate fave. I wasn't too big on RPGs back then, but when I heard my brother in his room playing a game called "Chrono Trigger" that he had rented (this was about '96-'97, when SNES games were still rentable in our town). Of course, I was curious, and since I always played platformers, I didn't know what an RPG was, except for Ultima and Dragon Warrior.

Then, later on, I took my allowance and rented CT for about a week. That fateful day, my friends, started everything. I played it for two days [B]straight[/B] (a first for me then, but later on, the scenario played again when I played FFIX).

CT and FFVII got me into the RPG world at an alarming rate.[/b][/color][/size][/quote]

I still haven't played Chrono Trigger yet. I feel sad now :( Dragon Warrior I remember, though. It was the first RPG I really played but, seeing as I was really young, I never really beat it, heh. In fact, it took Super Mario RPG to get me into RPGs (and I only played it because it was a Mario game hehe). Final Fantasy VI was what hooked me for good into RPGs.

[QUOTE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]But there's some more awesome SNES games that I loved playing oh-so-long ago. Most have already been mentioned, but who cares?

My most memorable moments when playing SNES (I still play it) was the game's music. So when I think of SNES, I think of SoulBlazer and Super Street Fighter Turbo (strange...whenever Ryu shoots out a Ki blast, it sounds like he's saying "A bull-sh**!").[/b][/size][/color][/quote]

SoulBlazer was a cool game! Thanks for reminding me of it ^_^

And that Ryu stuff...I'll just leave that alone o_O;;;

[QUOTE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Yes, Earthworm Jim is an awesome character and game! I have an Earthworm Jim action figure on my shelf right now...'can't believe they still make those things...[/b][/size][/color][/quote]

I have the EWJ action figures, as well. EWJ, Peter Puppy (regular and monster version), Psy-Crow and Professor Monkey for a Head. Those figures ruled. Are those figures still really being made?

[QUOTE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Right now, I the SNES RPG's I own are: Breath of Fire, Lufia and Lufia II, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Paladin's Quest, the Zelda game and SoulBlazer (luv it). Yes. But both Lufia games costed me a bundle. Now all I have to do is get FFII at the pawn shop...[/b][/size][/color][/quote]

I've only been able to find crappy games at pawn shops >_< The only exception is the Game Boy version of Dr. Mario. Bought that for about a dollar, heh. I had an opportunity to buy Super Metroid for about $15 at a video game rental store and I regretfully passed on it. I feel like an idiot now. And good luck finding FFII at a pawn shop ~_^

[QUOTE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]My fave platformer is Super Metroid, but since it's my brother's, and he's in college, I can't play it! We've had it since it came out in '94. Me and my brother love the SNES. His fave game is ActRaiser, too. I never got into it. Equinox pissed me off...hard...then there's Super Mario RPG...[/b][/size][/color][/quote]

Aw, that's too bad. If I had Super Metroid, I'd be playing it everyday hehe. I rented it at least five times but whenever I got close to the ending, my game would always get erased. The store I went to probably got a defective copy, heh. Maybe it's not such a bad thing that I didn't buy it...

And ActRaiser is awesome (as I mentioned earlier >_>). Good graphics, fun fights and town building! Plus, you get to play as an angel wearing a diaper. How cool is that?

[QUOTE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Earthbound is just simply [B]great[/B]. In the ending credits, Ness's dad was labelled as the phone you used a lot in the game! That totally cracked me up.[/b][/size][/color][/quote]

Poor me and my lack of Earthbound. Why did SNES games have to be so expensive?! Why?!

[QUOTE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Wait! Has anyone played Boogerman and The Lost Vikings?? Now [B]those[/B] are classics![/b][/size][/color][/quote]

You've actually played them? lol I've played a bit of Boogerman (honestly, it only got high scores because of the grossout factor) but The Lost Vikings was a great game. Very, very tricky to play through. I enjoy a good puzzling adventure every once in a while.

[QUOTE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]And Kirby Super Star? I never stopped playing the Treasure-Hunting adventure.[/b][/size][/color][/quote]

The Great Cave Offensive was the third best game on Kirby Super Star behind Revenge of the Meta Knight and Milky Way Wishes. It's addicting to just go through the game and try to collect every single treasure. I wish I could tell you that I got everything in the game, but I haven't <_<;

[QUOTE]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple][B]Argh![/B] *kicks Shinmaru in the head*[/COLOR][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

I think I'm in love :p

I liked Sven from Breath of Fire. He was a crazy monkey who originally appeared to be a theif and a womanizer but quickly developed a well placed backstory to show himself as actually once having been a great noble knight.

My main memory from Breath of Fire was that annoying quest the game forced you to do where you had to buy a gold bar. Even after getting money from people in town, it was still really expensive.

Another game no one seems to talk about anymore is Uniracers. I thought that was pretty damn cool.

I always wanted to play Uniracers but every time I wanted to rent the damn thing, it was never there. Uniracers would always be sitting in it's little corner of the SNES section when I rented games like Super Metroid, Link to the Past (after my copy got busted) and Out to Lunch (I actually rented this game more than once <_<). But whenever I said "I'm gonna rent Uniracers!" it was never there...I feel deprived.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]I always wanted to play Uniracers[/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Uh...Uniracers? What'd hell is that? Huh...never heard of it.

Anyways, I think someone should post a thread on the Good 'ol NES games. We're losing contact! Quick--get 'em to the ER!

*sigh* I beat Lufia II about a month ago ([B]great[/B] ending, by the way), and started on the first Lufia (before, in the past four years, I've been playing them on my brother's emulators, but never actually [B]got into[/B] them) and got the sailing boat just the other week. I can now sail the seas, but yesterday, when I stayed home from school due to a chest flu, all the files got erased. I reset the console, blew on the cartridge, but realized that when I turned it back on it was permanent.

[B]Nooooooooo!!! It's a hard game! I got so far! Why me...why ME?[/B]

Ugh. Such a case happened a lot when I played Zelda, but it was just a bit dirty and the files came back after blowing on the cartridge. This time, on my Lufia game, everything was totally [B]gone![/B]

Stupid memory pak!! It's so friggin' worn out...it totally got me raging [B]mad![/B] That's why I'm glad we have memory cards now.

Anyways, there's a lot I love about Earthbound. It's...weird, in a good way. Mr. Saturn...the weird-a** tour band, buying wet towels and meadering in the desert. 'First time I actually played a game where your characters can die of sunstroke! :cross:

I mean, [B]c'mon[/B] here! This's one of the coolest games made! I don't know in any other games where possessed coffee cups, records, gas pumps and people with blue faces started chasing you down. That had always bothered me. :nervous:

And Fourside? Crazy town. Especially when it gets 'reversed.' I swear the designers were on something.

*still thinks of Boogerman* God, that game was just...well...awesome. It was fun, though. I remember whenever the super-hero came on the screen (your character), he picked his nose, pointed his finger up in exclamation, and said "Booger!" in a voice filled with justice and honor.

The Lost Vikings II was my favorite, as well *recalls Olaf's Fart Hover ability*.

My all-time favorite platformers, and still is, are the Mega Man games. Not the NES ones, but the SNES and PSOne games. Just the other day, my friend had an XBOX modified with an SNES emulator. And I grabbed the controller (actually, it was my first time with an XBOX), and after getting used to the...well..."unique" controller design, I started playing Mega Man X like nobody's business. Really, by the time an hour and half passed, I couldn't play anything else for the rest of the day. :cross:

Damn, those games really take a chunk out of your soul...[/COLOR][/SIZE]