OtakuBoards

Should chat rooms shut down or not?

BigCajones

[center][COLOR=indigo]What is your opinion on the shutting down of chat rooms?[/COLOR][/center]

[COLOR=royalblue]This has been on the news recently in England to prevent paedophiles to get easy access to kids. Do you think this is a neccessary precaution? If every chat room was heavily moderated then this could stop such things ever happening, but MSN obviously don't want to take that risk and other chat sites are likely to follow. :( When I used to go on chat rooms it would just be for fun, I would never meet the people I talk to I think that's plain stupid, but thats a matter of opinion. If you could make perfectly sure the person your talking to is not a pervert it would be okay, but as you can't kids should meet up with the people. Chat rooms need to sort out how they can ensure age restrictions that work because people can easily abuse them. *Loses ideas* Ahh.. What do you all think?

/Grant/ :demon:[/COLOR]

I heard about this too. I think they should close some chat rooms that have alot of problems but keep MSN messenger up because its not exactly a chat room... its a place where u can add people you know and talk to them. so there isnt alot of danger there.

For Yahoo or Teenchat, they should do soimethin about that. I've been in there before and I seen guys sayin "Lookin for a chick. Im 15/m/Texas(wherever)" Then he whispered me sayin "Im actually 37 hehe"

That stuff is seriously WRONG. Date people around the age of you lol dont go searchin for young ones.. geez lol

thats my opinion

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, it shouldn't be the older people you're worried about, you should be watching out for the kids.

It's one thing to go into a chat room to make friends, talk about something that you're all interested in, etc. It's another to go looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend/date. Parents should be watching out for their kids and making sure that this is not the case.

I know my sister met some guy online that lived in NC and she called him everyday. We thought they went to school together. Come to find out, he lived in NC, she ran our phone bill up to $700 and she tried to runaway to go be with this guy.

That's what I think that it's up to the parents to pay attention to what's going on with the kids. They need to ask questions and make sure they are getting straight answers.[/color][/size]

[size=1] I don't think that shutting down the chat rooms is a good idea, afterall, Microsoft can only shut down [b] it's own[/b] chat rooms, and, while msn is pretty darn popular, they aren't the be all and end all of internet chat rooms, there are plenty of other places the sick minded individuals can go.

Like others have said over many places I frequebnt on the net, it's really up to the guardians of the young people using the net. I was told when I was younger and first into tghe internet scene that you don't tell people anything personal, like your home address. Education is really the only thing that can stem a paedophiles access to children via the internet. Microsoft can shut down these chat rooms, and that's a good idea, but only if other companies follow suit, otherwise it's utterly hopeless. [/size]

I think it is a good idea. From what I've seen they're only shutting down the msn sponsored chats (not really, they're making it a pay service). Let's be honest here though, all those chat rooms were were bots going "I"M LOLITA456 CUM HERE TO LOOK AT MY PICS ~ ^_^ [url]http://www.geocities.com/imavirus/lolpranked/[/url]

[color=darkred][size=1]Yes close them... I hate chat rooms there filled with nothing but boring people who need to get out and make some real friends, Why do people even go to chat rooms? I find it pointless and really lame.. Thats how I feel about the issue.. Chat rooms : Spam, dorks, stalkers, and just a bunch of other annoying stuff[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hack Helba [/i]
[B][color=darkred][size=1]Yes close them... I hate chat rooms there filled with nothing but boring people who need to get out and make some real friends, Why do people even go to chat rooms? I find it pointless and really lame.. Thats how I feel about the issue.. Chat rooms : Spam, dorks, stalkers, and just a bunch of other annoying stuff[/size][/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]You could say the same about message boards. ^_~

I used to frequent an on Excite chatroom. I got to know some pretty awesome people. I haven't any idea where they are now, but I'm glad I got to know them. *tilts head*

I think a lot of people are unaware of the possible dangers of internet, while others have placed far too much focus on them. Every person you meet is not a psycho stalker, nor is everyone who he says he is.

Everything can be seen as a problem, from chats, to driving, to violence on tv shows. The solution doesn't lie in getting rid of the item in question so much as it does in people's dealing with it responsibly.[/FONT]

MSN IM is remaining open.

Microsoft is closing down the chat rooms because Users are unable to fully control who they wish to talk to.

(my opinion is that they don't want to get sued by some 15 year old girl's family after she got stalked by some paedophile from the website)

I've checked out the MSN chats every once in a while, and they suck. Seriously. 3/4 of it is sexually orientated.

About time Microsoft took a torch to its dead wood

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]This is just another reason why this day and age makes me sick.

No longer is anything safe. Something that should be harmless (online chat) is simply a breeding ground for pedophiles. But is that really the problem?

Microsoft is doing the safe thing here. Because parents will be quick to sue if something happens to their child and shove the blame on someone else. But the question that most want to ask is "Why were you not supervising them?"

Some kids need to be kept an eye on, younger ones especially. They don't know any better, and they can be easily fooled. And there are monsters out there who know this.

As far as heavy moderation of chat room goes, thats going to be difficult. Sure, they can stop what happnes in the chat room, but they cannot control IM and PM systems, meaning that whoever is in there simply has to wait a little longer.

Its impossible to keep it in check unless the parents act. They shouldn't be taking it out on Microsoft.

--Chris[/color][/size][/font]

[color=green]I agree that once again, someone is making up for a lack of parental supervision. In my opinion, MSN is taking the only viable action for them, esp. fiscally...and here's why: They are a business, and this is a free service. To put up more security would cost millions of dollars, and while yes, Microsoft has millions of dollars, they want millions more, not to spend millions... Therefore, in this profit driven corporate world, Microsoft has opted to charge for it, [i]millions more[/i] not to mention, the day someone sued for their daughter being killed and stalked they would win... I know, there would be a lengthy court battle that would drive up the cost of my software, but they would win.
So, in short (too late) microsoft is thinking fiscally, not just for children's safety. They have found a way to make more money instead of potentially losing millions...[/color]

What do you think this is?

It's just one huge chat room, that it takes a tad bit longer to respond to. Course, people get banned from here. You can't really get banned from many chatrooms, because there are no moderators. If chat rooms were moderated, then I doubt that the kiddy hunters would be in there often. They could still be around, but it would be harder to do it than usual. Most of them wont want to take the risk of getting caught.

[color=#707875]I think parents simply need to watch their kids. And I don't think that kids should be using chatrooms until they're about 13 or so (which is the legal age for chats and message boards that use the COPPA system, or similar systems).

In any case, parents can also block their kids from entering certain chats...they can keep a log of what their kids are seeing, etc. That's all important.

It's also important to remind kids about the dangers that can be out there.

In terms of chats in general, I used to visit them a bit, but these days I much prefer message boards. They are cleaner, allow you plenty of time to write out your thoughts in an extended way (rather than just a one line thing) and they are more easily controlled. [/color]

[size=1][color=CC0000]I do not agree with this. It's not anyone's fault but the little kids, surely they are aware of paedophiles and other weirdos that go in chatrooms. Isn't it expected of you to [i]not[/i] give out your phone number or anything.

It's their fault for saying "here's my phone number", which translated would mean something like, "come and kidnap me". It's really stupid of them, and I personally think that they should be restricted from the internet, not everyone else..[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][FONT=arial]You could say the same about message boards. ^_~

I used to frequent an on Excite chatroom. I got to know some pretty awesome people. I haven't any idea where they are now, but I'm glad I got to know them. *tilts head*

I think a lot of people are unaware of the possible dangers of internet, while others have placed far too much focus on them. Every person you meet is not a psycho stalker, nor is everyone who he says he is.

Everything can be seen as a problem, from chats, to driving, to violence on tv shows. The solution doesn't lie in getting rid of the item in question so much as it does in people's dealing with it responsibly.[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][size=1]... Reason why I've retired... from OB, lol... If you had, had this thread like 3 months ago, I woulda said somthing way different[/color][/size]

I am agreeign with the people who are saying its the kids fault. They tell other people their personal information and say they wanna meet. Well theres the worst thing u can do. If kids kept their personal info to themselves then they would at least be safer.

I love chat rooms and I am a big fan but there are some real sick people out there. I'm not for closing them down ,but I'm for better supervision. The people on AOL don't care if there is a 46 year old talking to a 15 year old onlie and that is a problem. I believe they should make rooms for teen that only teens can get in; they could ask a quesrion a question that no grown up can ansewr to seperate the teens from the online jerks.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hells Fire [/i]
[B]I love chat rooms and I am a big fan but there are some real sick people out there. I'm not for closing them down ,but I'm for better supervision. The people on AOL don't care if there is a 46 year old talking to a 15 year old onlie and that is a problem. I believe they should make rooms for teen that only teens can get in; they could ask a quesrion a question that no grown up can ansewr to seperate the teens from the online jerks. [/B][/QUOTE]

So hold on, your saying a 46 year old is not allowed to talk to a 15 year old?

I'm sorry to say but freedom of speech gives us the right to talk to any age person.

a 46 year old who demands sex is what should be worried about.