1. 1. Favorite Evangelion Couple?

• Ikari Shinji/Soryu Asuka Langley
    • Ikari Shinji/Ayanami Rei
    • Ikari Yui/Ikari Gendo
    • Suzuhara Touji/Horaki Hikari
    • Katsuragi Misato/Kaji Ryoji
    • Ikari Gendo/Ritsuko Akagi
    • Ikari Shinji/Nagisa Kaworu

Man, you guys/gals know so much about this show! I'm totally in a lesser ballpark. I have the majority of the series but unforunately I never saw the ending nor I saw the movies. I do remember how complex this series is. Its a really depressing show if you ask me. Touji getting hurt in his Eva, and Rei is so sad. It affected me a way that she has like no emotions and when I found out she is a clone of some sort it just blew me away. Seeing how that if one Rei dies, Commander Ikari just makes another one. That kinda goes against of what people say that he cares for Rei as if she was his wife but I find that hard to believe that since he just keeps making other Rei's whenever one dies. If he did care he wouldn't let her die....Man, I just read what I just said and I don't know WHAT I said...... Guys help me out..........

I gotta finish and watch this show again.....I haven't touched it months

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=crimson][size=1]Well, the whole thing about Rei being a clone and not supposed to be able to remember anything, well I think that she probably would have to have SOME sort of memories, because clones are just genetic replicas of a person. It was probably is Mrs Ikari's genes somewhere when they made Rei how she was to feel and so forth.

And ALSO, Rei means Zero, too. And even though she is the first child, her Eva Unit is 00. Intriguing, isn't it? How hers doesn't even have a number....[/color][/size]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:) Well it is rather ironic that Rei also can mean zero, and she does pilot Unit 0! Would have been interesting if she was the refered to as the zero child, would have played out that zero reference even more! Another thing that has really disturbed me lately is the sexual preference of shinji? Going back and watching the series over, it is clear that at some points he likes Asuka, Misato and Rei, but when we add in Kaworu to the situation he seems rather confused? Has anyone ever been curious about this too?:confused:

[color=crimson][size=1]I think Shinji is just too confused to even know what side of the fence he falls on (although the only one of those people mentioned that he actually he admitted he loved was Kaworu...). Shinji has ALWAYS been confused and it just keeps going and going all throughout the series. He never knows what he wants. At one point he actually leaves Nerv and tries to return home, but then he ends up going back with Misato. And I don't think he had a thing for Misato, I just think that was more like the mother he never had, although she acted very much like a kid herself. And I think his and Asuka's relationship was more like a sister/brother thing. Rei may be the one that he was the most interested in as a lover type deal, even though he didn't....ya know?[/color][/size]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:) Yes, true, throughout the end it seemed like he was always in love with Rei, maybe because he saw shades of his mother in her, as for the Misato thing, I really don't understand her feelings for shinji, she seemed like a mother figure, but in End of Evangelion, she was lip locking with Shinji? Can anyone say rocking the cradle!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[color=crimson][size=1]I don't think Shinji was in love with Rei at all. I just think that she's the one that he would most be closest to liking, if that makes any sense. The only person I believe that Shinji loved that way was Kaworu, and I think it was because he actually understood him and related to him somewhat.

Misato is just lip-locking with Shinji because she didn't know what to do...she was panicing. And Kaji was dead, so who else did she have? She probably didn't feel like getting out her compact and going at it on her reflection..I dunno...I really don't care all that much for Misato...probably because she's so freaking popular and everything...[/color][/size]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:laugh: Good point, personally my favorite character is out of the women of Eva isn't Misato either highly overated is she. I generally perfer Asuka since she reminds me of this girl I use to know and went on a date with once!:laugh: :blush: Cough, sorry getting off the topic. ;)

[color=crimson][size=1]Asuka is the most awesome character on the whole entire show, end of that discussion. She's got this overly outgoing personality and if things don't go her way, she gets so pissed off. She also has a superiority complex and feels she has to be better than everyone else. I'm like that to an extent. I hate it when people try to act like they are better to me, and I always find myself showing off and trying to be the center of attention (although lately I haven't been as bad about it...I've calmed down slightly...). [/color][/size]

[size=1][color=darkblue]My favorite female character has to be *pauses for drumroll* Ritsuko!

I am a huge fan of anime characters who are smart and cautious, instead of the regular dim-wits out there (Misato = Dim-wit,) One of my favorite episodes is the one where she manages to defeat the Angel with her keyboard, with only one second to spare before it would have killed everyone in the NERV facility. It just goes to show that you can be a productive member of the team without having to rely on super powers (unless you count being able to type very fast as a super power.) Ritsuko is confident, but not [i]overly[/i] confident.[/color][/size]

[color=crimson][size=1]OOOOOOOooo...I love that episode, too. And she was the only one that could do it because it was basically her mother's brain and she knew how her mother was. Oh my gosh that episode was so awesome and so sweet...sort of... Yes, I like Ritsuko, too, but I still like Asuka BETTER! :D Dr. Akaji is just very quiet. But I like your points on her. She is pretty cool. And Misato is a dim wit, and the reason why is because of too much sex and alcohol. Killed off all of her brain cells, plus all the high stress work of dealing with Angels and a group of very DIFFERENT teenagers...I don't blame Misato for being like she is.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=darkblue]I am not blaming Misato for being the way she is either, after what happened to her during the second impact she is lucky to have any of her brain cells left. It is still hard to choose a favorite among all of the female characters, all of them are so deep and complex. I have to admit that I don't like Rei very much, she seems to bore me... and her backstory is really weird.

Asuka is such a great character too. The problems of her past kind of catch up with her by the end of the series, it made me really sad to see her so depressed.[/color][/size]

Hey guys, it's me, Sephiroth, I just kicked off godfather so I could reply to this topic, lol....

as far as favourite characters in the series go, I have two favourites, rei and misato, I find them intriguing, and I love misato's general outgoing personality....

asuka though, I have to admit, I am not too fond of, though there are times in the series where I do think she can be pretty cool, but I generally don't like her attitude, though I know that she has that attitude for a reason....

now, let me clear some things about shinji's sexuality....

first off, shinji is straight, throughout the series we see him looking at the girls, trying to kiss asuka (and kissing her too), and of course, the infamous hospital scene of end of evangelion....

at the point when kaworu came into the series, shinji was a total nerve wreck, he felt like he didn't have a friend in the world as all of his friends, kensuke, toji, etc. had evacuated, and to further complicate things, asuka was in hospital thanks to the angel's mind rape attack, which takes it's toll on poor asuka as she begins to reflect on her past, and also add the fact that rei is not the rei which he knows, and who he may have had feelings for, since the second rei which he knew self destructed against an angel....

take all this into account, and try to imagine how shinji must have felt psychologically, and then the fifth child, kaworu nagisa shows up, who becomes a friend to shinji and shows shinji acts of kindness in which shinji had never before in his life had (except for his mother), finally someone was being kind to shinji for himself, and not as him as an eva pilot....

the love shared between them was the love between friends, nothing more....

oh yeah, and the only reason misato lip locked shinji in EoE was so that he would move his butt and pilot the eva, misato had no sexual feelings for shinji :p

hope this cleared some stuff up, had a hell of a time writing it, lol....

Amen Sephiroth!!

I was going to say pretty much all of that myself. Shinji is STRAIGHT, and he loved Kawouru as a friend. I mean come on, you "love" your best friend, don't you? Love is just a form of a special bond between two people, and it can change its facets.

Misato did NOT kiss Shinji because of sexual reasons. It was out of desperation.

And on the subject of Misato............. she is [i]not[/i] a dim-wit.
She is the most relatable character in the whole series. She's human. She goes through a crisis and makes poor decisions. She lives with a shadow and does the best she can. She's alone. She's reaching, constantly reaching for something to support her and comfort her. And yet on top of all that she is still a hard-worker for her profession, and doesn't give up.

I don't really like Asuka, maily for her attitude as Seph said. I know why she acts the way she does, but she still doesn't have to be so bratty. Usually an overcompensation of bossiness is a sign of insecurity, like the person has to constantly fight to be on top because they feel it would be easy for that spot to be taken from them. Asuka could maybe get away with her attitude for a little longer, but sooner or later she would have had to step down sometimes and work [i]with[/i] people, accept critisicm and be professional. She's only 14 in the series, so it's more understandable she's the was she is. But she wouldn't make it that way for long. It's not healthy anyway.

Toji was one of my favorite characters. The way he cared about his sister was really heart-warming. It's been a while since I saw the series so I can't remember a whole lot of details, but I remember how I DID cry when Toji's EVA was shot down and all that. He was so awesome. He's also imo the most relatable male character.

Err..... I'm trying to think of anything else I was going to say.....
The Rei/emotions thing is pretty much cleared up... Kawouru was weird to me. I liked his character I guess, his whole deal was just weird. Anyway, I can't think of anything else at the moment...

*gets headache* Man, you guys know way more stuff than I can begin to understand...

Anyway, I agree with Septhy and Anna. Shinji is straight. The evidence is when he kissed Asuka and had feelings for Rei. I didn't see who this Kawouru yet, and I can't see him loving a guy.

I liked every character in the show and I think they're all pretty much the same since everybody had some kind of a mean past. My favorite character would be Asuka. I didn't like her 'superiority complex' she had at all. Eventually, I started liking her as the series kept going and I think her best moment was when she was speaking to Shinji without that attitude for the first time after getting a phone call from her parents.....(i think). I worried about Rei, since she was always so quiet and staring out the window in school thinking so much. It blew me away that just about everytime Rei showed up, it was really 'another' Rei. [B] I can't believe her name means Zero too! [/B]

As for Misato...I don't think she was a dim-wit. I think anyone who is a captain in some military isn't one and I just brushed her off as the main adult heroine. Man, I have to get the finalie of this show......I'm only missing 3 tapes or so and I'm missing alot!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ZeroG214 [/i]
[B] It blew me away that just about everytime Rei showed up, it was really 'another' Rei. [B] I can't believe her name means Zero too! [/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]

Everybody says it means zero or ghost. while rei may mean zero or ghost, i stumbled across an alternate definition:

"The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "Life Force Energy". Reiki is actually "Spiritually guided life force energy."

Rei can also mean:

-Expression of gratitude
-instance; example; case; precedent; experience; custom; usage; parallel; illustration
-soul; spirit; departed soul; ghost
-command; order; dictation
-actor
-cold; cool
-companion
-layout;
-wondrous thing
-sacred ground; sacred precincts
-fraudulent way of business, cajoling people into buying articles for an extremely high price by claiming they will bring good luck
-aura
-cooling-off period
-grim; stern; stark; heartless
-immortality of the soul
-beautiful figure
-your elder sister
-cold sake
-(your) daughter; young woman

bah, I'm talking too much about evangelion today, lol....

[color=crimson][size=1]Alright, Anna, I really liked your point about Misato. I swear you need to be a psychologist or else. You have a specialty for sizing people up and understanding them. I feel sorry for Misato because of what she went through and everything. But I still LOVE Asuka. And of COURSE she has problems, Anna. She's been through alot, too. Why don't you give her an analysis like you did Misato? [/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=crimson][size=1]Alright, Anna, I really liked your point about Misato. I swear you need to be a psychologist or else. You have a specialty for sizing people up and understanding them. I feel sorry for Misato because of what she went through and everything. But I still LOVE Asuka. And of COURSE she has problems, Anna. She's been through alot, too. Why don't you give her an analysis like you did Misato? [/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Asuka, eh? Well, hers is rather obvious.... I guess I could elaborate and use lots of big words though... :toothy:

Asuka outwardly demonstrates an extreme behavior of over-confidence. But, as personality analysis often shows, this extreme has a mirrored opposite attached to it. On the inside Asuka is on a shaky foundation which was laid in her early childhood. Family matters are crucial in this issue, as her own unit was entirely unconventional for proper emotional growth and dysfunctional in its prupose. Thus Asuka had to revert to an almost animal mind-set of "survival of the fittest". Any being who threatens her own success in her survival is a rival in a personal sense, and therefore Asuka comes off more cutting. But beneath she's also in an endless battle to conquer her past, always striving to prove she's more than what she was expected to be, so she won't become like her parents and share their fates. She doesn't have very good people skills because she simply doesn't have them, and for obvious reasons. For Asuka to let down her wall a little, an enormous amount of trust would have to first be established, and any progress from there on out would be small and cautious. Overall, even though not many people have the same past as Asuka's, she is relatable by her quest of proving herself and trying to compensate for a dark and painful past.

*Finally sees the last 3 shows of the series and reads Anna's post*

Wow, Anna. I'm impressed. Thats exactly Asuka's personality. Now that I know her past, I really feel bad for her and what caused her to become a nervous wreck. It shocked the hell! out of me when she saw her parents fate when she was still little. Its also interesting how some of the things she said in earlier shows are connected to her past such as her calling Rei a 'doll'. Damnit, Shinji sure is a blockhead not helping these girls out. If he wanted to be noticed by everyone then he could at least be more caring to them! I must see the movies now and watch the shows again to fully understand this show. Its a short series but man, does it cover so many topics! Thanks for the educational tip Sephiroth

• 5 months later...
Guest AnimeGurl
Evangelion is one of my favorite anime. But it sort of reminds me of Pilot Candidate. Anyway, all evangelion fans, post here. Thanx, Buh Bye!

[FONT=arial]:twitch: trust me, Evangelion was made [i]far[/i] before Candidate for Goddess was. and is also 50 times better. I've thought that both seemed alike before too, except in the sense that CfG seemed a lot like EVA. and that they ripped it off horribly.[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Domon [/i]
[B]Uh when was Evageloin made? Because i know that the gundam genre started in 1979. When did Evageloin start? Becasue i don't think gundam would be a rip off. [/B][/QUOTE]

Evangelion aired in 1995, If memory serves me. But the Mecha anime genre has been around even longer than 1979, heh heh.

I don't think Evangelion is a rip off of anything, really.

EVA a ripoff of Gundam and categorized as "another mech" ? Sheesh, EVA trancends any anime I've seen. The ending is trully a magnificent piece of artwork that you will literally go nuts trying to figure out. I had it on my mind for days till I finally looked up its symbolism on the internet. Trust me, EVA surpasses any mech/drama/sci-fi anime out there. It's just that good. :)