• Ikari Shinji/Nagisa Kaworu

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Domon [/i]
[B]Okay before this turns into a huge flamming contest lets just agree that all of the above named anime fit into the Mech Anime catagory and let it be at that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. That's all I was trying to say when I named them.

That's the last time I mention the name of a different mech anime from the thread's topic.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
First off flamming is bad let's not do that on my watch again.... As for Eva being arguably the best mech anime out there sorry but I've seen even better ones out there some that are in fact much older, it really varies on a person's taste and Eva is not really everyone's cup of tea. Now Looking over this thread I only have two things to state.

1.)Let's stick on the topic which happens to be a discussion on Eva not what Eva Ripped off or not.

2.)Since I want to be fair, I'm going to give everyone the heads up now in saying that let this be the only thread used for eva discussions from now on. I'm not trying to sound grumpy or out of line but in my history with General Anime now known as Anime Lounge We've had way too many Eva Threads so please no more just use this last one, many thanks in advance. ;)

Now getting things back on topic Evangelion personally is a great series, the writing and acting are top notch, along with the Mech Designs which are also pretty amazing for an anime done in 95. Probably the character I take a liking to most is Asuaka and Rei mainly for the fact Rei I can relate to in personality traits and Asuka reminds me of a spoiled girl I know. ^_^

Let's try to thicken this topic out a bit more. What does everyone think is the message Evangelion is trying to convey throughout the series? After I hear some responses I'll give my own theory to this as well.

P.S. If you haven't already noticed I'm back again to serve the anime community as a mod ;)

[color=#507AAC][size=1]I don't see any flaming here. There were no personal attacks. It's okay to have a strenuous debate over something. ^.^

Also, since the thread is about EVA...it's okay to discuss whether or not it's a ripoff, considering that the subject matter we're talking about is EVA.

Anyway, regarding the topic at hand...

I have only seen one episode of EVA, when it was on TV a while back. It's probably the one anime series that I'm really interested in -- I like mech animes but I found Gundam Wing to be a little uninteresting. I don't know, perhaps I didn't watch enough of it.

Also, just out of interest...would anyone here like to see an EVA section on theOtaku.com?

I find it a bit surprising that we don't yet have one. We actually [i]did[/i] have one in the works a while ago, but that unfortunately didn't move forward.

Still, it's worth talking about I think...especially considering the massive popularity of the series.

I think EVA will have to be on my shopping list for the holidays...[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#507AAC][size=1]Also, just out of interest...would anyone here like to see an EVA section on theOtaku.com?[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Ooh! Ooh! I would! :angel:

Yeah, Evangelion is my favorite anime series of all time. Everything just seemed to mesh together perfectly, and the show itself is on a completely different level, in terms of quality and entertainment value, than probably anything else out there.

What was everyome's thoughts on Episodes 25 and 26 of the series? Did they prefer the movie's ending more? Let's have a discussion for once.

-Shy[/size]

The Birth of NERV was the last one broadcast on Sci-fi over here. And I missed it! :bawl: I love Eva lots. I think a section dedicated to it would be much welcome. I'd certainly like to see one.

The episodes are so exciting. Even the one where the Evas didn't even do anything (when the Magi were infected by the Angel), and even the summary episode part way through were brilliant. I wish I could see the endings now. Well, at least Death, Rebirth and End of Evangelion. From what I can tell, a more finite conclusion to the series sounds better than a confused one. Bear in mind I've not seen either of them- that's from what I've read on synopses and episode guides.

Evangelion is not only one of my favorite anime, it's one of the most confusing anime I've ever seen. At least I [i]understood[/i] Key: The Metal Idol and Serial Experiments Lain after I saw them the third time. No matter how many times I watch Eva, I still pull the same thing from the series: Angels attack Tokyo-3, children are chosen to pilot the EVA units, and all of the main characters are trying to come to terms with their lives and learning why they can't but should accept their lives the way they are. The origin of the EVAs and Angels are revealed bit by bit, but I still don't understand how everything happened. Even the website's I've found are confusing.

Of course, maybe if I actually watched an Evangelion movie, I'd probably know what's going on.

One of the strangest things I found about the series is Gendo's attitude toward his family; how he behaves when around Shinji and Rei. Rei is nothing but an empty shell. She knows she's an empty shell, but Gendo treats her like a real person. However, Shinji begs for his father to treat him as anything but a perfect stranger. Shinji appears to be treated like the empty shell, while he's actually a real person. In a way, Shinji actually hallows himself out, making himself an empty shell (rather than his father doing it, as he thinks). Unlike Shinji, Rei is aware of herself. Does this make her more of a person? Less of a person? Maybe your humanity has nothing to do with the school you go to or your career; maybe, just maybe it has to do with how you think.

My (rhetorical) question is: What is Rei?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B][size=1]Ooh! Ooh! I would! :angel:[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
:smirk: :p

Yeah, Neon Genesis Evangelion is an absolutely amazing anime series. The characters have a lot of emotion and are very realistic, and as of now Eva is my favorite mech anime (Gundam deals way too much in politics). It's extrememly realistic, but at the end it goes to an extent, and Shinji needs to seriously go to a mental hospital. v.v

Anyway, I really wouldn't mind an Eva section on both theOtaku and OtakuBoards. Ah, we can dream.

Evangelion would be a great addition to theOtaku.com. I've been trying to look into it since day one of the site's launch. However, don't get your hopes up about it. It's one of those things I'll probably never do. This is because...

1) Evangelion is too complicated an anime. The episode summaries would be too difficult to write up. Imagine summarizing the last few episodes?

2) Evangelion is too hard-core of an anime. The fan base for it is too slim. New people won't come to theOtaku.com. Instead, people might actually leave! ("You spent all this time on Eva instead of doing more with DBZ?")

3) It would take forever to make. There's too much depth there.

4) Fan base is too picky. All of Evangelion's fans would email me curses if I made even one mistake in something. I don't want to deal with that.

5) I don't want to do the section myself and I don't want to have to put any staff to be responsible for it. It's simply too much to ask and I don't have time to tackle the series myself.

I'm sorry to disappoint anyone. Such is life.

-Adam

[color=#507AAC][size=1]Well, one day we might have Evangelion at OtakuBoards, if the demand is there.

Remember, you can always use the Suggestions/Feedback forum for it.

In fact, you could even create an online petition and email it to me. If the demand is there, we'll certainly consider it. It's the least that we can do, given that Evangelion isn't on the cards for theOtaku.com right now.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B]I thought that was what you were talking about anyway.

I missed 'The Birth of NERV'! :bawl: Stupid VCR. Grrr... Did I miss anything important? Or is that like asking whether the Universe is 'fairly big'? [/B][/QUOTE]
Hmm, yes, that is a very important episode. Sorry you had to miss it, but it really explained a lot of where NERV and SEELE came from, as well as give a more in-depth description of the characters. I'd try to see it if you can.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B]You know, a long time ago, I think an Evangelion game was made for the N64. Does anyone remember playing it? [/B][/QUOTE]
If they did make it, I have no recollection of ever hearing of one. Of course, I was unaware of what Eva was at the time, but I would know if an anime game was released...probably. I must say, that would be an intruiging game to play. ^_^

Having searched for a little bit on Google, I found some QuickTime videos and screenshots from it. It looks pretty good, but the sound's strange. It's got music from the series (all synthesised) and bits of cell animation in FMVs and in game too- Misato, Ritsuko and various others pop up and talk/shout at you wheile you're getting beaten up. I don't know if they're the original voices (it was all in Japanese anyway).

They even had AT Feilds. It looked like quite good fun. It's a pity it wasn't released in the US. Even if you did have an N64 that would play Japanese games, I'm guessing it'd be near impossible to get it anyway.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
THe N64 version of Evangelion was a terrible mess, it looks good but the game deep down is very boring, plain, unoriginal, if you really want to play a good eva game play the one for the ps1 and get your hands on the playaida's. :)

• 4 months later...
[QUOTE] My (rhetorical) question is: What is Rei? [/B][/QUOTE]

Bleh. Rei is a clone of the angel Lilith. Her body is comprised of the spares Shinji's mother (body parts). Basically all I can give you. Evangelion is one of the most confusing series I've watched, but probably one of my favorites.

So technically she is an angel. Remember when Koaru (sp?) said they were alike? Also, when Rei was in Dogma, I believe, the computers detected an angel, but the signal went away.

Aw jeez trying to explain eva...lol that only leads to many headaches ;)

Eva is a truly great series. Ive watched the whole series serveral times through on DVD aswell as the movies. Id probly need a masters in psychology and theology to really understand the series and get all the symbolism :D Even so though the series has stood the test of time and i really wish theyd release the directors cut DVDs here in america.

Well as for my opinion on the last two eps...Im 50/50 on em. They give a much more cerebral and intriguing ending to the series as opposed to the movies. Whereas the movies are alittle less confusing but dont offer you too many answers in the end either. Rei...Well as i understand it shes a clone of shinjis mother with the soul of lillith inside of her. Thats as simple as i can explain her :rolleyes:

Well if you want to put in a eva section this wouldnt be the worst time to do it since the whole renewal of eva thing is going on in japan and theres been sequel (or something along that line) talk.

Lastly i really dont think eva can ever really be any truth to saying that eva is a rip-off because it was SO influenced by annos personal demons and troubles. It really is a one of a kind because anno put so much of himself(and his problems) into the series.

Well now that ive rambled on long enough... :devil: Have fun out there all you eva fans and now you arent the only one confused by the series :D

I was really hoping that the movies to the series would help to explain a few points, but they turned out to be just as confusing if not more so than the last two episodes. True, I havn't really tried to depict the movies bit by bit as I have the last two episodes, but there is so much going on in the movies, especially 'Death and Rebirth,' that it's very hard to follow, even for something who has the series and movie on DVD and has watched them many times over. I think the series just went downhill after episode 24 when the creator had a mental breakdown.

Now, I'm going to try my best to explain who Rei is. I'm not trying to compete with anyone who had given their opinion on it, but rather just giving my own opinion on her. [spoiler]First of all, you have to understand that Rei is an Angel. In episode 24, there is a part where Kaworu has entered "Heaven's Door", the room with Adam, the first Angel. I'm going to refer to my notes that I took on this episode...aparently this Angel is actually Lilith, the second Angel. In any case, some time during which Kaworu is in the room, the NERV personnel get a reading on another Angel AT field, and you quickly get a glimpse of Rei up above, hovering in a corner. At this time, I can't remember which Angel she is called, or even if I ever knew, but she is an Angel nonetheless, very similar to Kaworu. The next thing you have to realize is that Rei is a clone of Yui, Shinji's mother. I don't remember who it was, but they recognized Yui in Rei's eyes, which you can agree are very similar. In fact, if you look carefully, Rei is basically a younger Yui but with blue hair. Next, Rei never actually existed as a human being. The Rei that you know is just a clone of an endless line of Reis created to fuel the very soul of Evangelion. This way, if one Rei is to die in an accident, another one can be taken from the group of Reis to go on living in her place. Rei has 'died' two times: she was strangled to death by Ritsuko's mother as a young child, and she blew herself up in episode 23 to save Shinji from being taken in by the Angel.[/spoiler]

If this still left a few unanswered questions, that is for you to decide by yourself, or just ask me speicifically.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B] [spoiler]Next, Rei never actually existed as a human being. The Rei that you know is just a clone of an endless line of Reis created to fuel the very soul of Evangelion. This way, if one Rei is to die in an accident, another one can be taken from the group of Reis to go on living in her place.[/spoiler] [/B][/QUOTE]

Mm, hmm. Just another note on that:

[spoiler] When Ritsuko (sp?) led Shinji and Misato into the core of NERV it showed millions of Reis. These are just empty shells used to pilot the Evas because they can just load the pilot's info. into her. She is actually the dummy plugs. [/spoiler]

Am I right? It's been awhile since I watched those episodes. It's really hard to explain Evangelion. :wigout:

WHOOOOOO...!!! Evangelion fans! Cool. The real beauty of the show is that it is both easily accesable and very deep at the same time, on many levels. And also, as mentioned above, it is quite well balanced, with interweaving storylines throughout that are incredibly engrossing. Gotta love it.

[color=black][size=1][font=rockwell] I've only seen about four or so episodes. But, it is obvious to me this Anime seriously is something far beyond all I've seen before. The constant allegory and such strikes me as quite opulent and well placed; and the characters. Wow. They read just like from a book. They're dynamic, they change, they actually seem [i]real[/i].

Hopefully once I get I job I can fork out the money to buy it all; I'd really love to finally see this whole series.[/color][/font][/size]