1. 1. Favorite Evangelion Couple?

• Ikari Shinji/Soryu Asuka Langley
    • Ikari Shinji/Ayanami Rei
    • Ikari Yui/Ikari Gendo
    • Suzuhara Touji/Horaki Hikari
    • Katsuragi Misato/Kaji Ryoji
    • Ikari Gendo/Ritsuko Akagi
    • Ikari Shinji/Nagisa Kaworu

[quote]Neon genesis evangelion is the greatest anime for me because it has this mood that is different from the other anme its not bias in the way that the hero Shinji Ikari is not that strong and unbeatable and it s not all about beating the hell out of the bad guy it has this story for each character so i think thats what makes it realistic in some point of view[/quote] Realistic?! You are joking, right? Here's the story of NGE in a nutshell: [B][I]three kids going through puberty determine the fate of the world [spoiler]- we're all freakin' screwed[/spoiler][/I][/B]. By episode 2, I knew that this Shinji "hero" should be dead. God knows how he made it to his teens with that attitude.

I'm guessing it just can't compare with today's standard, and therefore was just a pseudo-classic. On the other hand, I did watch it a long time ago (maybe when I was in 8th grade?), so I really am not familiar with it anymore. Still, it sucked then, and it probably would suck now: I haven't heard anything to make me believe the contrary.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, it does make it more realistic simply because Shinji doesn't have that stupid "I'm a hero, I can do this, as long as we stick together we'll accomplish anything!" attitude. He's just such a quitter and he never wants to go through with anything, never wants to take one for the team. He's selfish, he's a crybaby, and he's a young adult. Heh, such fun times.

And I'm with you, Evangelion IS the best anime series of all time. ^_^[/color][/size]

[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]I agree that Neon Genesis Evangelion is the best anime ever made. While it is true that the main characters of the show are kids with their typical teenage issues, it's the ability Hideaki Anno has to truly expose the depth of these issues that makes the anime so great. While you'd rarely get to see a teen boldly show, actively and completely, his screwed-up mind, NGE is constantly showing us the very source of Akusa, Rei, and Shinji's frustration and inadequacy. Couple that with the fact that they're born in a post-apocalyptic world, surrounded by selfish characters that use them as a means to an end, and you've got a great story. It's extremely fun to see the interaction between all characters, and personally I would've liked to see more scenes between Asuka and Gendo Ikari, or Rei and Ritsuko. The clash of messed up personalities is what kept me watching day in and day out. Oh well... and let's not forget the intense fight scenes, superb animation and artwork, and simply breathtaking soundtrack.

In a totally unrelated note, I hope Shin Seiki Evangelion 2 makes it to American PS2 owners.[/color][/font]

I'd agree that Evangelion is an excellent anime series, but it is not THE GREATEST.

Martian Successor Nadesico is the best anime of all time. It combines all the best elements of other series, i.e. mechs, space battles, one man - many women comedy, complex plot, dramatic deaths of important characters, etc. This does not make it unimaginative, it just makes it an incredible hybrid.

QED it is the greatest anime series of all time - even the Japanese have voted as such.

I don't think there is one greatest anime that everyone will agree on. At least, I don't agree EVA is. To me, it is Mobile Suit Gundam, the mecha anime revolutionizes the industry by putting in realistic war feel in a mecha show with a main character who is not a hero and who doesn't want to be one. Amuro's situation is similar to Shinji's but he is done 16 years earlier.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, just to set things straight, Evangelion is not a mecha anime at all.

And also, Nadesico is a great series, but it's still the same cliches over and over again. One guys, a horde of women who are after him, yada yada yada. I LOVE the series, don't get me wrong, but I'd never put it above Evangelion.[/color][/size]

If EVA is not mecha, why is the show part of Super Robot war games? If it is created as a mecha show and marketed as a mecha show, it is a mecha show for me. BTW, if they are biological, they are not mecha, then, the mechas from Aura Battler Dunbine, Five Stars Stories and Brain Powerd are not mechas as well. Mecha doesn't have to be mechanical. There are biological mecha before EVA and after EVA. It is determined by how they market. Also, being a mecha show doesn't make it any less. Mechas shows have some of the best characters and stories in the history of anime.

[color=olive][size=1]I'm in agreement with QA on this one. NGE is the greatest anime from my perspective. I've seen many animes so far, but none that tops Evangelion in its full immensity. There are so many levels in which you can enjoy and interpret it. You can look at it purely for action of Eva. vs. Angels, you can look deeper and look at how the characters develop and interact.... there are countless ways to enjoy it. Keep in mind though that in the end, the anime was never about the angels. It was about the boy Shinji and how he reacted to the world... [/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Qukey [/i]
[B]If EVA is not mecha, why is the show part of Super Robot war games? If it is created as a mecha show and marketed as a mecha show, it is a mecha show for me. BTW, if they are biological, they are not mecha, then, the mechas from Aura Battler Dunbine, Five Stars Stories and Brain Powerd are not mechas as well. Mecha doesn't have to be mechanical. There are biological mecha before EVA and after EVA. It is determined by how they market. Also, being a mecha show doesn't make it any less. Mechas shows have some of the best characters and stories in the history of anime. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]Evangelion isn't a mecha anime because it doesn't center equally around the mecha as it does on the characters. For a mecha anime, check the Gundam series. For example, see how Gundam Wing develops. The Gundam are the absolute necessity, and the anime is constantly reminding the viewers that Wing Zero and the rest of the mecha are the center of the show.

Mecha anime are memorable for its mecha, Evangelion is memorable for its characters and their relationships. Wing isn't about Heero. EVA is about Shinji. EVA uses mecha of course, and gives them a very important role in the show. There's a connection between the pilot and the machine/monster, but that isn't the center of the story. Even at the end of the show you realize that [spoiler]the story isn't about the EVA defeating the Angels, but about a much bigger concept involving Gendo's plan and Shinji's power to decide what the future will be: all minds united as one - The Human Instrumentality Project (Don't know how it's called in English) - or continuing the world with its imperfection, as it always has been.[/spoiler]

Lastly, I wouldn't completely define an anime on how it's marketed. A company uses advertisement to put the product in the market. To attract and sell the anime to the public, it needs to show what's attractive about it, at first glance. In the case of EVA, the impressive mecha are used to attract viewers, but after watching the show, you realize calling it a "mecha" anime is a limiting label.[/color][/font]

[color=gray][i]The greatest anime for me would be Kite or somthing. Maybe not, maybe Hellsing, that gave me lots of things to wish for. Hmm...I dont have a favorite anime as for I have yet to watch an extremely good one. i really loved Jin Roh though, ah, a classic.
And who can forget Ghost in the shell? done by the same dude. Not bad...but i still have to watch more anime, different types[/i][/color]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I still don't agree that Evangelion is a mecha anime. When I think of mecha, I think of huge machines battling it out for the fate of the world and some pilot who's all about winning and getting glory, blah blah blah.

Yes, the Evas are biological. They are not machines in any way whatsoever. And the beings that they fight aren't machines, either. How can you categorized it as thus, when it's clearly not mecha at all? Mecha means MACHINE. These beings are alive. They wear armor, that's about it.

And Eugi, this thread is about Evangelion, not what you think the greatest anime series of all time is. Please read carefully before posting next time.[/color][/size]

[color=gray][i]Ooops. Alright Ill talk about evangelion.
Ok, I watched all 26 episodes, and like all of us, the last two sucked horribly. So, I bought the movie, and to my surprise, it wasnt taht good.
I really did love eva though, it had so much deph, and it actually jolted on me a couple of times, something you dont really see in anime these days (at least for me).
I dont think that eva is a mecha anime either. The fact is, that they put the mechas to kind of make people fall in to the whole thing of like adam and lilith stuff...so, instead of putting ag uy that has all the physics of adam, they put a mecha, a huge mecha youve never seen before. And to balance it, they put a couple of other mechas, and then they made angels, to make the whole thing confusing and all.

Ir eally loved evangelion, not the best series of all time though but pretty good.[/i][/color]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I changed the title of this thread to make things a bit more clear. It may have started off as a thread discussing which anime you liked best, but I'd have to say it's pretty much turned into "Do you think Eva is best, and if not, why and what do you like?" I don't know. I think it's a good call. ^_^[/color][/size]

[COLOR=#503F86]I think Evangelion's certainly very controversial and influential, but to say it's the greatest might be pushing it in my view. I'd be inclined to agree anyway, but there are others I prefer above that, like Outlaw Star. It's simply a matter of taste and personal preference.

It is a great series, though. There's a fantastic amount of depth to Evangelion, so much so that I doubt all of the animators even knew what they were doing at times. The characters, although flawed in themselves, are great to watch and the storyline's so intricate it took me three goes to finally understand everything.

So it could be considered to be the greatest, but I prefer Outlaw Star, heh. [spoiler]I'm a sucker for a happy ending.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eugi [/i]
[B][color=gray][i]...and like all of us, the last two sucked horribly. So, I bought the movie, and to my surprise, it wasnt taht good.
.[/i][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Ho, ho, ho. In your dreams, kid. Not [i]everyone[/i] hated the last two episodes. In fact, I enjoyed the last two episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion. What did you think the point of Evangelion really was? A fight between two biological mechas and Shinji would run in and save the world? I don't mean to be crude here, but the point of the series was to prod at the inner minds of Shinji and all the other main characters. The Evas and the Angels were sort of a side dish served with the whole thing.[/size]

Again, I just want to know why some people can think EVA is not mecha. They are biological don't mean they are not mecha. Mechas are not only mechincal and man-made, everything can be mecha as long as they are humanoid and piloted by human.

I like the last 2 episodes of the sereis as the ending more than End of EVA. EOE only put more confusion into the story. It is no point of having Shinji as the "God" to unify the world as he himself doesn't understand what it takes to be a human. He is a very bad excuse of human race. People need to learn from their experience in order to grow up and I don't see Shinji learns anything at all. One day he can be quite happy and open, but the next day, he becomes the sad and hopeless, even want to die. How about letting him die, then? I don't think he has the gust to kill himself, yet, the rest of human population rely on his ability to save the world. I find that unbelieveable.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1]

Ho, ho, ho. In your dreams, kid. Not [i]everyone[/i] hated the last two episodes. In fact, I enjoyed the last two episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion. What did you think the point of Evangelion really was? A fight between two biological mechas and Shinji would run in and save the world? I don't mean to be crude here, but the point of the series was to prod at the inner minds of Shinji and all the other main characters. The Evas and the Angels were sort of a side dish served with the whole thing.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

"Propping" into the characters minds were already done well enough in the first 24 episodes. They DID not have to waste 1 episode and a half on those things. And the only characters they got over where Shinji and Misato anyways. Also, at the end of episode 26...all it left me was with a big laugh because i had wasted a good 48 minutes watching those two horrible episodes.

Now, i'm not one of those people that dont sit and contemplate when things are rough and confusing. I liked the matrix because i contemplated on it and came up with my own theories on how its going to end and how it ended - same with eva. But the last two episodes? I found out about 5 things that probably raised up my vision on those two episodes...but the negatives where higher and more heavier than the possitives.

There was really nothing to think about, just a big fat stupid joke. So the movies replaced it well at least, explaining this and that, not bad.
And just a hint for next time...don't call me a kid.:babble:

Guest rttocs77
I think it is a fantastic series, up until the end. It didn't make any sense at all. Gainax even had to release a book explaining everything, that's how many people didn't get it. It went from being genius to "what the hell is going on."

I loved the first 22 episodes though.

NGE is one of the first anime ive ever seen....i ve seen it twice both the movies the tv sereid and death and rebirth...i dont understand it at all...>.> i think its a bit overated...>.> before you all shoot me..i do think this is a GREAT anime..its just that the characters are too..static...they dont change that much...i mean shinji is ALWAYS whining...and asuka..tho she may be kick-*** she's always soo biyatchy...i do like teh show particularly the movie End of Evangelion...it explained alot more and the art work was superior to the show* you cant ell they had some budget probs in the tv series*..anyway this is just my opinion

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1] I call everyone kid. Don't take an offense with it.

Is 'propping' a word to be used in this situation?

So what were you expecting, exactly?[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, i thought you used Prop in one of your posts (I didnt read it over again).

And, I wont take it as an offense then.

Actually, I wasn't expecting anything from the last two episodes, I just kind of watched to see what kind of ending the director would had come up with. Thats what I do with every anime, unless I really dont care too much, i try to think of my own ending.
But evangelion cought my eye, so i let it run its couse.
As you know, i didnt like the ending, and the movie ending was good..but the thought of Ragnarok (end of the viking world) was dumb. Shinji and Asuka where the only ones left...and everything else died, it didnt click me. I think Evangelion is the only series with a dissapointing ending, that ive watched.
And maybe the matrix, I dont know how much of an ending that was...maybe they'd make an animated shorton the matrix ending...maybe not.

Thats what I was expecting...nothing.

[color=midnightblue]Quite honestly, the only anime I have seen that is not on television are Excel Saga and Evangelion. I'm actually pretty new to buying anime DVDs.

But, from what I have seen out of many (if not all) of the recently telecasted anime on television plus what I've seen on DVDs, Evangelion certainly is one of the deepest shows out there. Heck, compared to Excel Saga and SD Gundam, it's several thousand miles into the Earth. The characters may seem static throughout the series, but very subtly and slowly, if you analyze their actions, they changed in some ways. Shinji actually became half-decent at socializing (I.e. talking with Toji and Kensuke without stuttering or whining much), Asuka was very unsure of herself and not as arrogant as she was when she first made her appearance, and Rei-- Well, I don't see Rei as much of a character as every human's consience. In the last two episodes, it was Rei's voice who questioned the characters and brought them to new enlightenments. [spoiler]Rei was what almost everyone saw before they bursted and became LCL liquid, and she was the gigantic white thing in EoE.. A form of a God, or a messenger perhaps.[/spoiler]

I truly liked the last two episodes. In fact, they may be my favorite Evangelion installments. They relied nearly entirely on dialogue, and no Angel fights, with no real fanservice mixed in. They made you think, and made you want to rewatch the series to see subtle hints as to what the heck people were talking about in episodes 25 and 26 (Plus it made you buy that book that explained everything, but I won't get into the marketing techniques). People say that they find FLCL and Evangelion confusing, but honestly if you just pay attention and fit the pieces together, they really are logical and enjoyable.

Another strong point to Evangelion was all of the religious references. Lilith, Adam, the names of all the angels for a matter of fact-- The Sephriothic Tree (As seen in the beginning theme's animation), visual and verbal references on the characters' parts.. It all made me learn a lot more about my religion. Adam had a wife before Eve named Lilith. Who knew? Evangelion means "Story of a new beginning", according to my research, so the title could be translated to "Gospel of a new beginning". Plus, the term Eva could be a play on the name Eve, the second wife of Adam (Which may be why there are no angels named Eve either).

Though .hack//SIGN was close, I am pretty sure Evangelion is my favorite anime of all time.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B] Heck, compared to Excel Saga [/B][/QUOTE]

I wonder sometimes....
You cant really compare eva to excel lmao...excel actually tries to be dumb and chaotic (excel as in excel saga, not justthe character).

EVA was an enjoyable series. Although I don't own it because I can't find it for a reasonable price (-.-) I have seen the whole series and "End of Evangelion". I've been meaning to buy "Death and Rebirth" for a while now but my wallet is unbarebly flat due to the holiday gaming season. >_<

I loved EVA, it excelled (sp?) on several levels, the character depth. Which, as Asuka mentioned, was probably the most realistic aspect throughout the whole series. Shinji wasn't just some cliche perfect character. He didn't spew random one liners out about becoming the best pilot ever. Which seems to happen a lot in anime that incorporates mecha into it.

He reminds me (to a small extent) of Akito from Nadesico. Even though both shows are completely different (genre, art, depth, ect.) they hold the same "I'm just a regular guy, why do I have to try and save the world" attitude.

Enough about that though, for the subject I wouldn't say that EVA is my favorite anime. I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop a hell of a lot more. EVA is overly complex, to actually understand what's happening you have to do a bit of research and re-watching. Sometimes it helps a series, sometimes it hurts. To me, it hurts EVA.

[b]Edit:[/b] OLS was my favorite for a time, but to me it became overly simplistic in a way. It's still a favorite of mine, though I've not touched my OLS DVD set in a while. ^_^;

Heh...I'm with Solo; OS rocks. ^__^

However, to say EVA is the greeatest anime of all time...well, that's rather overblown.

To start with, "of all time" indicates that there is no chance of anything greater ever being produced. I don't see that happening; eventually, some series will top EVA, and will then be topped itself, etc, until Japan undergoes one of those horrible apocalypses they seem to experience every third Monday in movies, and there's no more anime.

More importantly, though, I'm not going to say "greatest of all time" until I know for sure there's nothing out there that's greater. So, after I've seen every anime series in Japan, I'll be sure to tell you what's the greatest. ;)