1. 1. Favorite Evangelion Couple?

• Ikari Shinji/Soryu Asuka Langley
    • Ikari Shinji/Ayanami Rei
    • Ikari Yui/Ikari Gendo
    • Suzuhara Touji/Horaki Hikari
    • Katsuragi Misato/Kaji Ryoji
    • Ikari Gendo/Ritsuko Akagi
    • Ikari Shinji/Nagisa Kaworu

I just hope that they'll be asian-looking people (to make sure that everyone understands that evangelion is anime-based), and not any of the "super," "mega," "whatever-the-heck-they-call-those-haughty-****-********-******-actor/actresses" movie stars we have around here! I just have a HORRIBLE feeling that KEANEAU REEVES will be playing a major part in the move(NOT SHINJI!!). If that is the case............fire...............lots of fire....................

I say that because I have seen the projected cast for the live action dragonball movies on the internet....I don't even like the show and I feel ashamed for it (the only character they got right was napa, played by Goldberg, the wrestler).

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest gard3nomedotcom
i think that Daniel Radcliffe (the guy from harry potter) would be the best westernized actor and maybe keanu as kaji?who looks good in blue hair though? hmm? jennifer garner? lol

I've read an article about this casting call on EVA movie. Here's what I seen:

Daniel Radcliffe as Shinji.
Hillary Duff as Asuka Langley.
Shawn Ashmore as Touji Suzuhara.
Chiaki Kuriyama as Rei Ayanami.
Haley Joel Osment as Kaworu.
Natalie Imbruglia as Misato.
Colin Farrel as Ryoji Kaji.
Gwyneth Paltrow as Ritsuko.
Hugo Weaving as Gendo Ikari.
And last but not least, Ian McKellan as Kouzou.

I'm not really sure if these actors are perfect for the parts. I showed this article to my friends; and they were completely shocked, mad, and..well just mad alittle. However, I kind of think the Haley would be cool for that part; and Daniel as Shinji looks pretty neat though. I'm just not sure about this. I personally think that anime shows should be the way they are in movies; not live-action.

If Hillary "I have no talent" Duff is cast as Asuka, I will (to borrow Tony's phrase) lose all faith in humanity. I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. And while Daniel Radcliffe's acting may be a good deal better than hers, he hasn't yet managed to truly impress me.

The absolute worst part of this is that I recognized every single one of those actors' and actresses' names. Lord of the Rings is a great trilogy in its own right, but the fact that it features people like Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin and Orlando Bloom--all men whose careers had previously been rather obscure--makes the three films even more enjoyable to watch. I was able to go into them without carrying any preconceptions, whereas Haley Joel Osment will always remind me of the little boy in The Sixth Sense.

Besides, I suspect that the Evangelion movie is going to be [i]very[/i] expensive to produce. Its budget should be saved for hiring a good director and perfecting its special effects, not wasted on famous names.

~Dagger~

[color=midnightblue]That article you read was simply speculation on what the magazine people thought.. And even then, they're probably just basing their choices upon how they look in relation to the characters from Evangelion. Such articles really are annoying.

I do, however, feel a few of those choices are pretty wise. Hugo Weaving, if he gets to know the role well, would probably portray a decent Gendo. After all, as former Agent Smith, he's already trained to have a rather emotionless, pseudo-angry expression.

Ian McKellan as Fuyutsuki.. It may work. I don't know if he'd take on the Eva project, though. We shall see, I suppose.

However, my belief is that through casting calls unknown actors and actresses will be found that fit the roles better than most famous movie stars we are familiar with. After all, a few of the actors from The Lord of the Rings were not exactly famous, and gained great recognition and prestige for working with Weta Workshop on the trilogy.

*shudders at the thought of Daniel Radcliffe and Haley Joel Osment playing off each other as Shinji and Kaworu*[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B][color=midnightblue]
However, my belief is that through casting calls unknown actors and actresses will be found that fit the roles better than most famous movie stars we are familiar with. After all, a few of the actors from The Lord of the Rings were not exactly famous, and gained great recognition and prestige for working with Weta Workshop on the trilogy.

*shudders at the thought of Daniel Radcliffe and Haley Joel Osment playing off each other as Shinji and Kaworu*[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

*nods* Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say (at least in regards to LotR). While Hugo Weaving and Ian McKellan have proven that they possess enough talent to carry nearly any role, younger people should not be able to land jobs simply by pointing to their prior successes.

The Harry Potter films were not box-office bonanzas because Mr. Radcliffe is the reincarnation of Sarah Bernhardt, and lesser-known children (like the two girls in American Splendor) should be given the chance to demonstrate their superior acting chops. What director wouldn't want his film to create a whole [i]new[/i] set of stars--rather than relying on current celebrities' fame to generate ticket sales?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by XxmagentaxX [/i]
[B]how would you get hillary duff as asuka? She isnt even a redhead!
At least the scetches left everyone with thier own haircolor [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, they could always use a wig. Orlando Bloom's hair is naturally dark, but he was still able to play the part of a blonde elf in LotR.

~Dagger~

[color=hotpink][size=1]I think that the list that you came up with had to be a joke. I don't think that any of those people would seriously play a role in the Evangelion live-action movie. Natalie Imbrulia as Misato? She's not even an actress, she's a singer.

And as for getting red hair, please do not act so naive. How many times do you think people in Hollywood dye their hair for parts in movies? I think I've seen Kirstin Dunst in every color imaginable.[/color][/size]

[color=firebrick] If I saw Hillary Duff play Asuka, I'd go over to ADV Films and hurl all sorts of things at them. There are [i]so[/i] many reason she should not play Asuka...the main points being she has no real talent as an actor and she doesn't even have a nice body. Yeah. Asuka's body vs. Hillary's. *coughs*

But Ian McKellan and Hugo Weaving have now been stuck in my mind after LoTR, and I think they could possible play out a character in Evangelion. ...Actually, all of the LoTR cast members are going through my head now. *thinks of Shinji played by Elijah Wood and has a seizure* And Nicole Kidman is stuck in my head right now after watching [i]Cold Mountain[/i]. A stupid choice, but I imagine her as Ritsuko for some odd reason.

[i]Anyways[/i], the actors don't really have to be brimming with talent to create a great movie. For instance, LoTR is a huge trilogy, but none of the actors have been nominated for the Oscars. [Even though I thought some of them were good] It'd be nice to get a whole new cast of actors that we aren't familiar with. And Kaworu? *scoffs* No one can capture the beauty and perfection of Kaworu. *walks off clutching a Kaworu plushie* ^_~[/color]

I just dont like Hillary Duff.....

How is ADV going to get all of these big name people to play in this movie based off of an anime series? It's going to be impossible. Thats why I think it should just be alot of no name actors... because what if the big name people don't live up to the fans expectations of what we think the movie the should be? at least with the no name people we probably won't even remember their names...

can someone please explain the end of End of Evangelion to me...i'm pretty sure i get it...except the ending...so if someone could clarify it for me that would be great ^_^!!

[COLOR=Navy]I merged your EoE topic with the pre-existing Evangelion thread. Welcome to OtakuBoards, and please work on your capitalization. ^_^

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

Should someone on these boards explain the ending to you, I can garuantee that anyone else will have a different answer.
It's very open to interpretation. I'm just going to give you a brief (Very very brief) explination as to what me and a few of my friends believe has happened at the ending:
[spoiler]Third impact has happened and everyone has become one being (Well, everyone is now exactly the same ie: Rei). and since everyone is exactly the same, so this means no more sadness, jealiousy, happiness, ect... And it's up to Shinji to decide whether to keep the human race this way or do give them back indaviduality. We don't know what Shinji chooses, we can only venture a guess.[/spoiler]
That's all I'm going to say for now. My friends and me recently started discussing it again, and frankly I'm a bit sick (Both mentally and physically) of talking about it. Try to figure out what it means for you, pay attention to the plethora of symbolism thrown about.
I truly don't think anyone really gets it. There's just too many ways every little thing can be interpreted. One other thing to keep in mind though: One reason Anno Hideaki made this movie is to just piss off angry fans. Alot of people were angry at him because they didn't like the final episodes of the TV show, some even sent him death threats and such (The kanji near the end is bits and pieces of some letters he recieved). He doesn't want you to get it. :)

Altough I haven't really thought about who a good actor/actress would be if there ever was going to be a live action EVA, my question is, why ruin a good thing? I mean, I'm sure we can all agree that EVA is a great anime series. Anime series. To make a movie of it, especially a live-action one, i think that would take away from the justice of the anime. I mean, think about it. Writers, animators work tons of hours just to produce one eposide. Then you have these people who just make a movie, that probably won't even live up to our expactions. It just won't be able to compare to the real thing. I mean, look at Sailor Moon. They made a live-action of that, (and although I haven't seen it myself) I've heard it wasn't that good. And then you go and stick actors who probably have no idea what EVA is in the movie? Wrong...its just wrong.

I understand your trepidation, duorocks17, but that's not a valid argument. While writers and animators may slave away for hours simply to produce one episode of an anime, live-action films demand just as much commitment, dedication and labor. I mentioned Lord of the Rings in an earlier post, and I feel that the analogy also applies to your comments about actors who don't even know what anime is. Several members of LotR's principle cast have never read Tolkien's trilogy, but I think we can all agree that they portrayed their characters satisfactorily. Since WETA is working on the upcoming Eva film, you don't need to worry about sub-par special effects (as seen in the live-action Sailor Moon). Try to keep an open mind, and give this movie a chance.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]I understand your trepidation, duorocks17, but that's not a valid argument. While writers and animators may slave away for hours simply to produce one episode of an anime, live-action films demand just as much commitment, dedication and labor. I mentioned Lord of the Rings in an earlier post, and I feel that the analogy also applies to your comments about actors who don't even know what anime is. Several members of LotR's principle cast have never read Tolkien's trilogy, but I think we can all agree that they portrayed their characters satisfactorily. Since WETA is working on the upcoming Eva film, you don't need to worry about sub-par special effects (as seen in the live-action Sailor Moon). Try to keep an open mind, and give this movie a chance.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=dimgray]Yes! Thank you.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=dimgray]I wouldn't call myself an Evangelion expert by any stretch of the imagination. But the more I hear about these "Noo why ruin it?" arguments, the less receptive I am to 'em.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=dimgray]I think you really laid it on the line there. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=dimgray]Sometimes they say that an actor does a better job without having seen the original material...because then they aren't being distracted by a particular expectation. I have not read anything about the EVA movie, but I think it could be [i]incredible [/i]if done properly.[/color][/size][/font]

[color=deepskyblue][font=times new roman]Heh well I dont have a problem with an attempt at live action eva IF they dont go overboard with making it more mainstream and acceptable to western audiences.

Like ive said before one large problem is all the religious undertones and themes...Fundamentalist groups and overprotective parents would probably be screaming. So it becomes a question of how to balance staying true to the original series whilst still making a commercially viable movie...I dont envy whatever poor souls are wirting the script on this one :(

On the upside I did see some more pics of the evas and angels by weta and im much impressed. They look really wonderful

.I do hope they will go with unknowns...It should really help me to slip into the fantasy realm of eva if I dont recongnize most of the actors on screen...[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Arkadyz][color=deepskyblue][font=times new roman]
.I do hope they will go with unknowns...It should really help me to slip into the fantasy realm of eva if I dont recongnize most of the actors on screen...[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

Well if they are going to make a live action version of Eva., they might as well have unknown actors. Like you said it does get really boring hearing the same voice actors over and over again so hopefully they will do that. What i just don't understand is why they want to make a new live action version anyway since they have already expanded so much with Eva. Ive been researching it but couldn't find the answer to it yet.

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1][B]Well for the original poll my fave couple has to be Shinji and Asuka [As you can tell from my banner :P]

I've also heard the rumours of the EVA Live action and I've had some cast ideas in mind for a while so let me type it up:
[CENTER]-====-
Shinji Ikari - Elijah Wood
Gendo Ikari - Russel Crow
Ritsuko Akagi - Jeri Ryan
Misato Katsuragi - Femke Jansen[sp?]
Asuka Langley Soryu - Anna Paquin
Kouzou Fuyutsuki - Ian McKellen
-===-[/CENTER]
Thats just what I would think'd be cool, if you have a comment to make [Positive or negitive] you welcome to but if it's negitivie please be civil seeing as OB is for all and I've seen to many flamers lately.[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Elijah Wood is certainly good at exuding angst (ever seen Frodo the Angsty Hobbit?), but I think he's a bit too old for that particular role. Besides, as has been repeated ad nauseam throughout this thread, I'd prefer for a lesser known actor to play Shinji. When it comes to current celebrities, however, I can't say that Mr. Wood is a terrible choice. He's just lost that air of youth and innocence which made his earlier movies so appealing.

Now that I think about it, Russell Crowe actually looks somewhat similar to Gendo. Physical resemblance clearly isn't the producers' top priority (since they're apparently trying to Westernize the franchise), but I'd personally enjoy feeling a flicker or two of recognition.

~Dagger~

[color=firebrick] *fiddles with thumbs* I like Ian McKellan, I really hope he's casted to be Fuyutsuki. I just really hope Elijah Wood is not cast as Shinji...I really...don't. O_o.

Although I'm actually very excited over just the action scenes that might be in the movie. Sennen showed me some developing artwork of Tokyo-3 [very weird, it actually surrounds the ruins of Tokyo-2. Sort of a stupid thing to do realistically, though it holds some symbolic meaning I would guess]. [/color]

Guest Sesshy's girl
[SIZE=1] [COLOR=plum]
Evangelion. Evangelion. Evangelion. How can I even begin to describe this series? Personally I absolutely LOVE :heart: this anime. It's so deep and intruiging that it's hard not to get into.

Saddy I found a surprising reacuring satistic; many avid anime fans I've ran into have seen Evangelion in thier life :faint: !!!!! How can someone not have heard about Evangelion!!!!!!

Am I'm just over reacting or does this bother someone else? What do you think?

While I'm at it;I have another question for every one. Why do you like Evangelion and what character is your fav? [/COLOR] [/SIZE]