1. 1. Favorite Evangelion Couple?

• Ikari Shinji/Soryu Asuka Langley
    • Ikari Shinji/Ayanami Rei
    • Ikari Yui/Ikari Gendo
    • Suzuhara Touji/Horaki Hikari
    • Katsuragi Misato/Kaji Ryoji
    • Ikari Gendo/Ritsuko Akagi
    • Ikari Shinji/Nagisa Kaworu

I was under the impression that EoE was an alternate ending, not a direct continuation. That is, one [i]can[/i] view it as being related to the last two episodes, but one doesn't have to.

On that note, I don't think the end of the TV series [spoiler]showed him deciding to avoid his problems. Where did you get that from... the final scene? The ending is bittersweet in some ways but very positive in others, and I liked that because I hadn't been expecting anything but tragedy and angst.

I'm not sure that it's fair to try extrapolating real events (e.g. whether or not he actually remade the world to reflect his own desires, which leads into the question of whether erasing his problems constitutes running away from them) from the content of the final two episodes. If anything, what's "real" is totally irrelevant to the themes presented in those episodes--in a certain sense they do feel more like an intense examination of the human condition grafted onto the core show than something which grew organically out of the characters themselves, but at the same time they fit so well with Shinji's development in previous episodes that I can't really find the heart to complain.

Specific details relating to the reality of the plot/events would have diluted the impact of those episodes; their power stems in large part from the fact that they're so general/universal. To draw a weird analogy, think of Voices of a Distant Star: the OVA barely has the time to flesh out its characters, much less tell its story. And yet it still tends to have a very strong emotional effect on people. It's done in such an open, non-specific way that it almost invites the viewer in. The same is true of Eva's final two episodes, I think. My experience was that I wasn't really cheering for Shinji per se, but rather for the general idea of a character/person in that particular situation and for what Shinji represented.[/spoiler]

Anyway, what I mean to say is that [spoiler]I think looking at it from the perspective of, "We didn't see what really happened, so we can't know if his issues were truly resolved or not"[/spoiler] seems somewhat cynical to me. But then, I'm inclined to take a very optimistic interpretation of the ending, in terms of [spoiler]Shinji's mental health,[/spoiler] if not in terms of [spoiler]the actual plot events during those two episodes, which could really have been just about anything.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My friend told me that he saw a commercial on adult swim saying that they will soon show evangelion. Im not sure if this is true but if it is I bet that it will be edited with all the good stuff cut out. New fans will not have the full experience. Let me know what you guys think.

[quote name='Eva10']My friend told me that he saw a commercial on adult swim saying that they will soon show evangelion. Im not sure if this is true but if it is I bet that it will be edited with all the good stuff cut out. New fans will not have the full experience. Let me know what you guys think.[/quote]

OK. So even though Adult Swim can show blood, gore, dismemberment, decapitations, skinnings, murders, shootings, gruesome deaths, suicides, child abuse, rape, pedophilia, incest, beastiality, implied sex, prostitution, sexual innuendoes, drugs, alcohol, smoking, cursing, political jokes, religious jokes, crotch jokes, anti-PC jokes, and virtually everything sort of a "Sweet Zombie Jesus", yet still can't handle Evangelion? I don't follow you.

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']OK. So even though Adult Swim can show blood, gore, dismemberment, decapitations, skinnings, murders, shootings, gruesome deaths, suicides, child abuse, rape, pedophilia, incest, beastiality, implied sex, prostitution, sexual innuendoes, drugs, alcohol, smoking, cursing, political jokes, religious jokes, crotch jokes, anti-PC jokes, and virtually everything sort of a "Sweet Zombie Jesus", yet still can't handle Evangelion? I don't follow you.[/quote]

Well come to think of it you do have a point. Adult Swim wouldn't do anything to change our beloved Evangelion. I guess I just got a bit freaked out from what my friend told me. :animesigh

by the way is there any news on the Eva live action movie because i got these images the other day, i know they might be fake, in fact i know they most properly are but i just wanted to know. Actually i think the guy that played Frodo in lord of the rings would make a good shinji if he was just a little bit taller and his hair was longer.

[quote name='duoikari']by the way is there any news on the Eva live action movie because i got these images the other day, i know they might be fake, in fact i know they most properly are but i just wanted to know. Actually i think the guy that played Frodo in lord of the rings would make a good shinji if he was just a little bit taller and his hair was longer.[/quote]

[COLOR=Red]They look pretty fake to me. Im not the one to doubt but it just looks like someone pasted the heads on, but your right about Frodo change the hair and voice. Where did you get these images? [/COLOR]

----

On a lighter note found out my wood shop class is A-2 switch that around and you got shinji's homeroom.

[color=navy][size=1]Please don't double-post. If you need to add new information, you should go ahead and stick it in your most recent post via editing.

- Dagger[/size][/color]

I just put in a search on google for evangelion live action images, either that ir it was just evangelion. But i thought they might be fake espeacially the one with frodo in it, also who were the other two supose to be who were playing Asuka and rei. but the one with just the eva on it was really professionally.

I would like Frodo to play Shinji, he got the same kind of...personality i guess you could say. I mean his voice is really suitable for shinji, but he would need to be taller and his hair would have to be much more spiker but who would play gendo?, if he's even in it?

[quote name='duoikari']I I would like Frodo to play Shinji[/quote]

Elijah Wood is now out of college, and Shinji is barely past puberty. It wouldn't work whatsoever.

Shinji, Asuka, and Toji should have unknowns between the ages of 13 and 16 playing them. I was thinking of having Rei be motion capture and having her actress make a cameo as Yui in one of the later films in the trilogy. I'm thinking similar to Tiffany Grant on having Hugo Weaving play Gendo and Jennifer Garner play Misato. Liam Neeson could probably make a decent Fuyutski after his Batman Begins performance, and given his history of playing confused characters Johnny Depp could do well as Kaji. Any other thoughts on casting?

• 1 month later...
Hey, everyone!!! Neon Genesis Evangelion is coming on TONIGHT at 12:30 eastern on AdultSwim. Lets see how bad they edited it. I dont think they have, but you never know. Oh, and if you dont catch it tonight, they wil replay it on saturday. :)

Haha, I was just on the verge of posting something about this to the TV schedules thread. It's a good thing I checked the main page first. :)

As for editing, I believe that episode 1 is purported to be either mostly or completely edit-free... can't remember which. Unfortunately, it seems (from looking at the clip on Adult Swim's Eva page) that they'll be playing the original version rather than the much nicer-looking Platinum version. I wonder why? Either way, it's too bad...

(And even though I won't be following the show on AS, I can now think of my Eva avatar as being much more appropriate, haha.)

~Dagger~

I totally agree with having Johnny Depp playing kaji he would so suit him, the hair, the face just everything!. but i don't think they should have kids play shinji and Asuka and Rei, it just wouldn't work, i mean think about it shinji is going on 16 in the series, now is the moive going to be set after the series or suring? we don't know. Also is it going to be a completely different saga, or are they going to take bits from the series and put them in the film. But you have to remember that Asuka is german, so they should get a german or german looking person to play her and a japanese boy to play shinji, now that i think about it some of the guys from the japanese film avenging fist might be good, if any can find out about the film i think maybe Kong or iron could play shinji. but that just going by looks.

[quote name='duoikari']I totally agree with having Johnny Depp playing kaji he would so suit him, the hair, the face just everything!. but i don't think they should have kids play shinji and Asuka and Rei, it just wouldn't work, i mean think about it shinji is going on 16 in the series, now is the moive going to be set after the series or suring? we don't know. Also is it going to be a completely different saga, or are they going to take bits from the series and put them in the film. But you have to remember that Asuka is german, so they should get a german or german looking person to play her and a japanese boy to play shinji, now that i think about it some of the guys from the japanese film avenging fist might be good, if any can find out about the film i think maybe Kong or iron could play shinji. but that just going by looks.[/quote]

The movie is going to be a retelling of the series, seeing as the concept art includes images of characters who died in End of EVA and (more importantly, given that they could easily disgard the End of EVA finalle entirely and create their own ending) the cube Angel from episodes 5-6. So shouldn't it be fitting for teenagers to play the children (as they are 14 years old in the series). If Halley Joel Osment, Dakota Fanning, and the Harry Potter kids have tought us anything, it's that kids and teenagers are able to act in movies as well as adults can, so there's nothing to worry about casting people the same age as Shinji and Asuka as long as they find someone who can play the part.

My only concern is the casting of these roles. I personally believe they should try and stick to the series and go with actors of about early to mid teens to play the children. I like the idea of Johnny Depp playing Kaji, seems to fit when you think about it. I think they need to try and go with unknown actors for the childrens parts, new faces often times get good results when there are bigger actors supporting them, so this idea would also make bigger names required. My only question is if they do put this forward, who do you think would be willing, not most likely to be asked or best suited, who do you think would take an idea like this and say okay.

Evangelion is soo far the most crazed anime I've ever watched, the characters (mostly Shinji) is so whacked out & crazy, I seen all the episodes plus both movies Death & Rebirth is juzt all flash back thing on what happened already & The End of Evangelion is basicly the end of all human kind & a new begining of human kind but when I 1st saw the 2nd movie I was felling sick when Asuka's was stabed in the head by the lance of longudest & when her unit 2 was eatin alive by the eva series then 6 or 7 spears rained on her, also I can belive Karow had to die evan though he chose it he was a great character I dont' care if he was an angel he was soo powerful he had is own AT field & he was controlling unit 2 but yeah is Evangelion is definatly something else I love it

I.E. I belive Adult Swim is gonna ruin Evangelion because to much contrvirsal & sexuality on that show but that's what makes it good

[quote name='XxZeroxX']I.E. I belive Adult Swim is gonna ruin Evangelion because to much contrvirsal & sexuality on that show but that's what makes it good[/quote]

They already started airing it. Cross explosions, violent Angel vs. EVA fights, Misato nudity, and everything. There's pretty much nothing they can edit given what they've shown already except some cursing, Rei's nipples, and some of the blood in episode 18 (not including the movie, which goes way beyond the series in terms of content, though if they cut out the masterbation scene, reanimated the destruction of Unit 02 (the Naruto hand-stabbing scene was reanimated for Toonami, no reason they couldn't do the same for the EVA movie on AS), and did a lot of cover-ups on naked Rei/Lilith they might be able to get away with it on their psuedo-TVMA rating).

[QUOTE=XxZeroxX]Evangelion is soo far the most crazed anime I've ever watched, the characters (mostly Shinji) is so whacked out & crazy, I seen all the episodes plus both movies Death & Rebirth is juzt all flash back thing on what happened already & The End of Evangelion is basicly the end of all human kind & a new begining of human kind but when I 1st saw the 2nd movie I was felling sick when Asuka's was stabed in the head by the lance of longudest & when her unit 2 was eatin alive by the eva series then 6 or 7 spears rained on her, also I can belive Karow had to die evan though he chose it he was a great character I dont' care if he was an angel he was soo powerful he had is own AT field & he was controlling unit 2 but yeah is Evangelion is definatly something else I love it

I.E. I belive Adult Swim is gonna ruin Evangelion because to much contrvirsal & sexuality on that show but that's what makes it good[/QUOTE]

I personally highly doubt that the censorship of Evangelion will be bad. AdultSwim has gotten better and better at censoring animes. Just look at what they did for Paranoia Agent and Samurai Champloo!! The editing of those animes was brilliant.

Don't worry. Even if they do edit it, its not the end of the world. The entire series is out on DVD.

[QUOTE=dposse]I personally highly doubt that the censorship of Evangelion will be bad. AdultSwim has gotten better and better at censoring animes. Just look at what they did for Paranoia Agent and Samurai Champloo!! The editing of those animes was brilliant.

Don't worry. Even if they do edit it, its not the end of the world. The entire series is out on DVD.[/QUOTE]

Could you people PLEASE stop talking about the show as if it hasn't aired? It's already shown 2 episodes!!!

• 4 weeks later...