1. 1. Favorite Evangelion Couple?

• Ikari Shinji/Soryu Asuka Langley
    • Ikari Shinji/Ayanami Rei
    • Ikari Yui/Ikari Gendo
    • Suzuhara Touji/Horaki Hikari
    • Katsuragi Misato/Kaji Ryoji
    • Ikari Gendo/Ritsuko Akagi
    • Ikari Shinji/Nagisa Kaworu

I combined your two replies. No double-posting, please.

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']He is currently doing The New Cutey Honey, which is a magical girl series. Not exactly the type of magical girl series you were expecting, heh.[/quote]
Wow, I had no idea. Now that you mention it, didn't he also direct the live-action Cutey Honey film? It's not a franchise I'm especially interested in, Anno or no Anno... which is too bad, since it would have been interesting to see his take on other Go Nagai series (namely, Devil Lady).

~Dagger~

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, thanks. I should have thought to look there. :animeswea

Anyway, I've got a brief question... does Kaworu ever show up in the OP animation? I keep seeing him--or thinking that I'm seeing him--during the part when the still images start cutting really quickly.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1][CENTER][IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23522&stc=1[/IMG]
[b]Have you seen this boy?[/b][/CENTER]

You've got a fast eye there, Dagger.
How about Yui? Since most of the cast was shown in that sequence, did Yui get at least half a second of screentime?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Wow, thanks for the screenshot. Wondering about that had actually been driving me crazy. Now I can sleep more calmly at night. :animesmil

As for Yui, I can't say if/where she appears, but I would be quite surprised if she weren't included in the OP--given, as you said, that practically the whole cast shows up at one point or another. Besides, she's so important to the themes of the series that I can't imagine her being excluded if even Kaworu was given a cameo.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest juzzam
I was bored yesterday, so I read the first 3 manga books, and watched the series for a 3rd time. I now finally understand the entire series (Adam, Lilith, white and black moon, why the angels are atacking, 1st and 3rd impact, and anything else I didnt understand).

I thought anyne who wasn't too sure on all of this might find this guide usefull,[URL]http://ned.ucam.org/~sdh31/anime/ngefaq.html[/URL]

• 4 weeks later...
Well, as was mentioned in the TV line-ups thread, Evangelion is coming to Cartoon Network (again). Some say it's surprising, since the series apparently got horrible ratings during CN's "Giant Robot Week." Personally I think people who look at it that way are approaching the matter from the wrong angle; Eva airing on the current Adult Swim (read: mostly uncut) is something quite different from Eva airing on the old weekday version of Toonami. Still, I suppose this means the folks over at ADV must be really persuasive.

I hope they air the Platinum version. I probably won't watch it, as I'm not that interested in seeing the show dubbed (and if I were, I'd just watch the DVDs). Meh.

~Dagger~

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but the Is a live action Neon Genesis movie in the works. From what I've seen and read though it will be appaling even though Gainex does have some imput. Will put up a few links later. One thing is they are changing all the names i.e. Asuka Langley is now Kate Rose.

You don't like the NGE dub, Dagger? Asuka's screaming can be a bit annoying, but asside from that, its one of the best dubs that I've heard.

Damn, I'm psyched about this show coming to AS. I can't wait to see how people react to it... I wonder if Asuka, Misato, and Rei fanboyism will spread even further around the net?

Granted, I haven't seen the whole show dubbed, but I wasn't all that thrilled by what I did watch of it. I do like some of the parts they re-dubbed for Platinum & the "Director's Cut" discs, though--Greg Ayres makes a truly fantastic Kaworu. However, my lack of enthusiasm for those parts of the dub that I've heard, combined with my profound love for pretty much the entire Japanese cast (Megumi Ogata! Yuko Miyamura! Megumi Hayashibara! Kotono Mitsuishi! Akira Ishida!) hasn't really given me the urge to finish watching it in English.

I'm all for giving dubs a fair shake, but I guess in this case I just don't feel that motivated. Interestingly, though, Evangelion's dub seems to be one which people either love or hate, at least once they've seen it all the way through. I haven't come across many in-between opinions. Of course, that also applies to the show in general...

~Dagger~

I picked up Evangelion Death+Rebirth at a discount store a few days ago for 3.99, but havent watched it yet. I have the 2nd volume of the manga, and it seems pretty good based on the reviews. I ll probably watch the movie later.
On theotaku.com they do a psychological breakdown on NGE, and you wont beleive how deep it really goes. Ill post a link later as well. How many episodes is the series?
And how many movies are there?

Ok I said before that I would post up a site for the Neon Genesis Evangelion Live action movie so here it is:

[url]http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1901[/url]

It's not much but it tells some things that people will probably be shocked, annoyed and frustrated about. It may also turn some of you off from even considering to see it.

[color=#503f86]The film is currently on hold- they haven't even found a director for it yet, so as far as something as simple as character names go everything's still up in the air. Most of the images there date back to sometime in 2004, and anything could have changed since then.[/color]
[color=#503f86][/color]
[color=#503f86]Besides, it's an adaptation- you can hardly expect it to be completely faithful to the original show. Consider the fact that the characters will probably be played by actors whose first language is English- it's not realistic to have someone with the voice of Elijah Wood being called Shinji if his character base isn't even going to be from Japan. We don't know the details about how much of the plot and background has been changed, so at this point I don't think it makes a difference as to what the names are.

Personally, I always thought it weird that Asuka, being Gernam, had the name Asuka Langley Soryu. But then, it's been a long time since I saw the series and there may have been an explanation within that I missed.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Evangelian, there isn't enough I can say about it. The movie is beyond description. I mean come on. And for those of us who know it there is something else this story is tring to portray. And if you don't know what I'm talking about search for the Eva boards posted at cons across the country by Sean Mcoy. If it's to be known about Eva he knows it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bloodmoon0011
Okay, all I need to know are four things, and help would be MUCH appreciated. Here are my questions, and they regard the TV episodes, Death, Rebirth, and The End of Evangelion:

1. At the end of the TV series, [spoiler]Shinji resolves his mental issues I believe. However, in the following movies ( Death, Rebirth, and End of Evangelion), it appears that he has not resolved anything. All I want to know is why did he still seem afflicted by these issues?[/spoiler] Did I miss something?

2. Most importantly, at the end of The End of Evangelion, [spoiler]Shinji is lying next to Asuka on a beach of some sort. Why did he start choking Asuka? I've heard theories that that was a combination of Asuka, Rei, and Misato. Is that true? Was she actually alive? Did he kill her? Was that really her that said the final line?[/spoiler]

3. What happened after the ending? Theories, of course, are welcome here.

4. Is there any chance that there will be more added to the story? Is there any truth to the rumors that there will be?

Again, please, I am literally begging for answers. The magic of Evangelion is that at the end, you realize that you are as much a part of the story as the characters, and the end left me devastated. An anime has never affected me this much. Any answers, ANY at all, would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.

JUST DON'T READ MY POST UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE SHOW AND THE MOVIE!

The End of Evangelion is an alternate ending to the show. So it's basically the last 2 or 3 episodes completely redone with a different story. That would be why Shinji is still confused when End of Evangelion starts up.

[spoiler]He may have choked Asuka cuz he may have actually wanted someone else to be there with him, so he just couldn't control his anger. I'm really not exactly sure why he choked her.

In the movie Shinji makes the choice that he wants mankind to live on. I'm pretty sure everyone dies at the end of the movie, except for Shinji and Asuka who are basically the new Adam and Eve. Mankind may have suffered many casualties but it will ultimately continue on through Shinji and Asuka.[/spoiler]

I doubt there is ever gonna be an animated continuation fo Evangelion since it is pretty much complete as it is. There is gonna be a live action movie of Evangelion. It's gonna be american made for the most part. Not much is known about it other than WETA workshop is doing the special effects. But, It IS gonna be made. That's a fact. It might take a while though. The movie almost definitely won't tell the story of what happens after End of Evangelion. There are rumors that it is gonna be a series of movies, probably a trilogy.

That should've answered most of your questions.

[QUOTE=bloodmoon0011]

1. At the end of the TV series, [spoiler]Shinji resolves his mental issues I believe. However, in the following movies ( Death, Rebirth, and End of Evangelion), it appears that he has not resolved anything. All I want to know is why did he still seem afflicted by these issues?[/spoiler] Did I miss something?

2. Most importantly, at the end of The End of Evangelion, [spoiler]Shinji is lying next to Asuka on a beach of some sort. Why did he start choking Asuka? I've heard theories that that was a combination of Asuka, Rei, and Misato. Is that true? Was she actually alive? Did he kill her? Was that really her that said the final line?[/spoiler]

3. What happened after the ending? Theories, of course, are welcome here.

4. Is there any chance that there will be more added to the story? Is there any truth to the rumors that there will be?

[/QUOTE]
I'm using the spoiler feature, to answer most of your questions. That way I won't give away too much of the ending to people that may or may not have seen it.

[spoiler]
1.) As someone already meantioned the movies are basically are the last 3 episodes of the series redone. This is why you see Shinji affected by issues that were cleared up in the series ending.

2.)Shinji throughout the series was contemplating choking Asuka. So with all the pent up aggression building up he final does so. Also the theory of the three being combined you can throw out the window. It is in fact the original Asuka here. And yes she did get the final line but it's up to the imagination to decided whether or no he chocked her to death. Seeing as how the ending has Asuka and Shinji in the adam and eve role, I'm pretty sure he didn't kill her.

3.) Can't really give you a theory on what happened. Basically the end of the movie Shinji wished for everyone in the world to die out so the world can have a fresh start. This was the purpose of Gendo's Instrumentality of Man project referred to from the beginning of the series to the end. This whole restart the world project...was the plan from the beginning. They even referred to it in subtle hints several times within the series.

4.)The reason why the movies were made in the first place were because the fans weren't happy with the ending from the series. Ironically after the movies were released especially End of Evangelion. The fans were in an even bigger uproar. So it's a safe assumption that the creator is done with the series and just wanted to mess with people's minds. There was a rumor going around that the creator of the show actually even killed himself but I'm not sure if that rumor is true. But certainly we won't see anymore continuations.

[/spoiler]

Actually, here's my take on things:

[spoiler]At the end of the series, Third Impact was succesful, you can kinda tell that everyone is "merged" because they all say "I am me, and I am also the me that exists inside your head". At the end of the series, everyone is "dead".

At the end of the movie, third impact fails. The souls are returned to earth (that red thing in the sky at the end). Its just that Shinji and Asuka are already there for some reason (b/c they were in their evas maybe).

The movies were a redo of the final episodes. They were done because fans didn't like the series ending. I've heard, but am not sure, that the movie is the ending the way he originally wanted it. [/spoiler]

The creator did not kill himself. However, he was going through a lot when making Eva and that's really what eva is all about, the problems in his head.

[quote name='Kato_Ama']The creator did not kill himself. However, he was going through a lot when making Eva and that's really what eva is all about, the problems in his head.[/quote]
Yea, Hideaki Anno had a nervous breakdown or something after he finished Evangelion. He had to take things easy for a while. I'm not sure if he ever really recovered but I think he has, somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...
the only thing I've hear/seen about a new Evangelion is the manga insert in Newtype USa for Evangelion: Angelic Days. It was totally different. I have no idea what the story is behind it.

Maybe they're doing the same thing as they are with Cowboy Boy Remix. just remastering it.

Naru, we generally discourage reviving old threads. But since you brought back an Eva-centric topic, I merged it with the designated Eva thread instead of just closing it.

In other news, it seems that ADV is going to release an NGE Platinum thinpak box set, which will probably be pretty cheap if it follows their recent pattern of putting out stripped-down collections.

Eva has already been remastered; the Platinum edition DVDs contain the remastered version of the series.

~Dagger~

People people, the answer you ask for are right in front of your dam noses the whole time. If you bought the end of evangelion DVD and put the voices over on where the people from the actually series such as the women that done Rei's voice speck over as the movie is playing. They will tell you everything.

I'm sorry for not putting a spoiler tag on this because i don't know how to do it so if someone could please tell me i can stop giving everything away.

[spoiler]At the end of evangelion Asuka and Shinji became the new adam and eve, this is because the world was reborn and there had to be at least one living life form for the earth to continue. But (and this is what i think) because Shinji was so insecure of himself he felt that one other person should be with him in order for the world to be born again.

As for the choking bit, did you ever noticed that Asuka had the same injuries as Rei had when her and shinji first met?. I bet you didn't, yes it is true, when Rei first saw Shinji she had the same eye covered as Asuka did at the end.

phew :animesigh .

but someone said that they don't know why Asuka had a japanese name when she was German, this might be (and i do say might be) because of her mother. If you read the mother you find out how Asuka was really made shall we say.

Asuka's mother was in love with a man,but said man ran off with another women and they had children together, so Asuka mother got jealous and got sperm from a sperm bank and pregnanted herself. Now i don't know if the sperm dona had a connection with her name but i think that he might of been Japanese or something. But this was in the manga so the same type of information my not be the same for the series because we all know that they do tend to change things.

Now i have a question that i have been pondering ever since i see the movie, near the begining what did Gendo say to Ritsuko before he shot her?. Cos i think it was i love you but if you look at it carefully it could be i am your father :animestun[/spoiler] if someone knows then please tell me because it's one of the only things that i don't know about evangelion. I know almost everything about the series that why it's my favourite series of all time. Dramatic, confusing and just a little bit of Yaoi ^_^ :animeblus

As far as Evangelian is concerned I have already collected the individual platinum series DVD's and both movies "deathe & rebirh" and "the end of Evangelian". If you have any questions listen to the commentary tracks on the series and movies they should andswer most of your plot questions. Now that's done, what's this I hear about a live action Eva movie and where can I find more information. I am a die hard fan and I want to know everything I can learn please post or PM me with the info please.

Thank You much

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='bloodmoon0011]1. At the end of the TV series, [spoiler]Shinji resolves his mental issues I believe. However, in the following movies ( Death, Rebirth, and End of Evangelion), it appears that he has not resolved anything. All I want to know is why did he still seem afflicted by these issues?[/spoiler'] Did I miss something?[/quote]

I always thought that [spoiler]Shinji didn't actually resolve his issues at the end of the TV series, but instead he decided to avoid them. We were just seeing it from within Shinji's mind, therefore making it look like a real conclusion to problems that were never solved in the real world of EVA (the first 24 episodes and the movie).[/spoiler]