1. 1. Favorite Evangelion Couple?

• Ikari Shinji/Soryu Asuka Langley
    • Ikari Shinji/Ayanami Rei
    • Ikari Yui/Ikari Gendo
    • Suzuhara Touji/Horaki Hikari
    • Katsuragi Misato/Kaji Ryoji
    • Ikari Gendo/Ritsuko Akagi
    • Ikari Shinji/Nagisa Kaworu

Me....well i dont really know why this company would want to do this Eva. Theres a lot of "anime" that should be remade that was put on DVD/TV, but i dont see that really happening. I dont know what type of profit they will get from this but i cant see it being that much since people arent just gonna start running out to by the same anime just with better picture and sound quality. The way Eva is right now is fine for me...its usually never good to touch something that was already great to begin with. You usually never see things that were tweaked or updated DVD/TV wise is being better. Usually they turn out worse.

As for the game...when did the first one come out???

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard a rumor that they are going to do a live action Evangelion through various sources, so they be re-releasing it in preparation. I know that there are several scenes that were cut out of the original, including one where Asuka throws herself at Kaji. XD

I hope in the re-dub they keep most of the voices, and I definately hope they keep Misato's voice! Allison Keefe is awesome!:)

I'm not sure I like the idea of a re-dub, after all the time spent listening to the original it might just sound wrong. I know this from previous experience of hearing the 'ultimate version' of Akira, which just sounded wrong after being used to the old dubbing.

As for the live-action version, I've seen a website with pictures and news about it. While it looks impressive, there are massive changes, they're even changing the character names! That just seems like the ultimate in needless changes to me.

I've seen articles in some anime mags about the live action version, and I've seen many articles all over the place about this Eva Renewal or Restarted or whatever it's called. I don't really care too much for it. After watching End of Eva, I've finally come and placed the whole NGE series in a corner of my mind, happy with my resolutions on it, and now they're coming up with this just to start the vicious cycle all over again. The Eva series should have ended with the series, then they made a movie. That was fine, and it was pretty clear on of the big reasons Anno did this was to piss people off (The Kanji near the end of the movie is supposedly bits and pieces of death threats he recieved because people where dissatisfied with how the series ended). So, the movies was ok with me (Even though Death and Rebirth seemed like one long trailer for End of Eva, I was still ok with it).

Now, here comes this little project, clearly intended for cashing in on Eva's popularity. Despite what some new articles say, we've seen Anno Hideaki's "vision", Evangelion was done, and now the greedy corparations just want to milk this cow for what it's worth. I now this happens all the time, and usually I'm ok with it, but since it's Evangelion this time, this is really pushing my buttons. I really think they should have just left Evangelion alone.

The sad thing is, even after ranting on about how I'm against them recreating the end portion of Evangelion, I'll still most likely be one of the first to buy it when it comes out (It's supposed to be split into 2 DVD's or something). :flaming:

Yeah, supposedly EOE was made to say, "up yours" to all the fans who didn't like the original ending. *Shivers* The entire EOE movie was just made to make people get sick or start crying. I heard through a friend in the Phillipenes that a 22 year old kid actually KILLED HIS MOTHER because he was already mentally unstable and wathched Evnangelion. I've heard in this new game that they will clear up a few mysteries, and maybe find out who did the you-know-what to you-know-who, by which I mean Kaji.

Btw, how do you black out spoilers? I can't seem to figure that out.

Whoa, that's amazing! They actually ran out of "never before scene" repackaging material for the same old Eva? Well, I guess you can only "never before see" the same thing so many times. Heh, they should have cut the scenes into smaller pieces so they could use the "never before seen" trick just a few more times.

Anyway, as you can tell from above, I think this farce sounds like nothing more than Gainax trying to prove that they are the best milking personel you'll ever find - anywhere. Because they've ran out of deleted scenes, they are doing the next best thing: redoing old scenes and hoping people will shell out more for it.

[color=midnightblue]Come on, Mal, I was going to make this thread today. That's just cold. :p

Apparently, ADV is releasing only two of the DVDs from the Evangelion renewal project. It seems they don't think that their customers will even bother buying [i]another[/i] Evangelion series. The first one, Resurrection, was released two weeks ago, and the second one will be released some time in late March, if I heard the Suncoast woman correctly. So, if you want the whole series, you'll have to buy the Japanese version. Or some sort of pirated thing.

Well, yesterday I bought Evangelion: Resurrection at Suncoast. It is basically a remake of the seventh Eva DVD, holding episodes twenty-one through twenty-three. On the main selection screen, however, you can choose between the original Evangelion and the Director's Cut.

In this version, however, not [i]everything[/i] is redone. In fact, nothing is technically RE-done, animation-wise. It shows the original episode, and adds the beautiful new scenes inbetween the original material. It's not like there are huge new fight scenes or any fifteen-minute-long plot twists or anything. It's more like five five-to-ten minute segments that add depth to the emotions of the characters, and small bits of information are revealed that explain the relations between the characters to a deeper level.

For example, [spoiler]in Episode 22, when Eva 02 gets "Mentally defiled", we get an approximate eight-minute glimpse into Asuka's mind as she's being probed. She sees several images of herself from the past cycle over and over, and she seems to have a revelation and realises how bothersome she can be to others. She then sees Kaji's shadow in an empty train station, and starts running to him, but is pushed back by a horde of hood-wearing people. Then, after a scene transition, the five-year-old Asuka is interrogating 14-year-old Asuka about who she [i]really[/i] hates. We then leave the whole self-interrogation, philosophical Eva mode.[/spoiler]

It just sort of gives more background to the characters, and explains their relations with each other further. The animation from the new scenes are extremely well-done. Some of the highest quality animation I have ever seen. The [spoiler]Second Impact scene, where Adam awakens,[/spoiler] is utterly brilliant. For a while, before I paused the DVD, it looked almost as if they made three-dimensional models and added a computer-generated [spoiler]Adam[/spoiler] into the scene.

But the big thing for me and this DVD is the interview with the WETA Workshop founders. They revealed a lot of information about designing their "Westernized" live-action Evangelion movie. Yes, it's official, WETA Workshop has officially begun work on the design for the official live-action Evangelion movie. It's not a rumor. Throughout the interview they revealed about fifteen concept art pieces, mostly of NERV headquarters and, logically, Evas 00 through 02. Apparently they are "Westernizing" a lot of things, including characters' names. Rei is now spelled "Ray", Asuka is now "Kate Rose", and Misato is "Susan". For about two days I wanted to go send razor blades to Weta, but it won't matter much in the end.

But, if you are an Evangelion fan, (i.e., if you're not AzureWolf) I highly advise that you purchase this DVD.[/color]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Queen Kate Rose. Ah, has a nice ring to it. *Grins*

As for these screenshots and pictures, I really wouldn't mind seeing them posted here so I can have a look for myself. I'm too lazy to go researching the net to find them. :p

I'm excited that they are going to be "revamping" the series, but I'm also worried that things might be a bit too "glitzy" and "glam" with the changes. I don't know...hopefully it wont be too terribly difference.

As for a redubbing, I hope anyone BUT Tiffany Grant does Asuka's voice. I've never watched the dub (thank goodness) but I absolutely LOATHE her voice anywhere I hear it. *Shudders violently*[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]As for a redubbing, I hope anyone BUT Tiffany Grant does Asuka's voice. I've never watched the dub (thank goodness) but I absolutely LOATHE her voice anywhere I hear it. *Shudders violently*[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Really? I rather enjoyed Tiffany Grant as Asuka. Infact, I think all of the characters in the Eva dub were well cast, it's one of the few dubs I actually enjoy. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Did the first DVD really come out 2 weeks ago? I thought it wasn't due until next month!
... I need money now :(

If your at all a fan of anime then you wont promote this live action movie thing. Westernizing anything is litteraly rape and just goes to show that despite this idea of cultural diversity and equality that America is famous for, we are a very shallow minded society. Everything has to be dumbed down so we can understand it. The same goes for dubbed anime. Its no longer anime, its just crap. Like dephiling someones work of art. So my opinion of the dub is this; dont bother, go get the subbed (unless its DVD then you should have both...but should only watch the sub).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SadClown [/i]
[B]If your at all a fan of anime then you wont promote this live action movie thing. Westernizing anything is litteraly rape and just goes to show that despite this idea of cultural diversity and equality that America is famous for, we are a very shallow minded society. Everything has to be dumbed down so we can understand it. The same goes for dubbed anime. Its no longer anime, its just crap. Like dephiling someones work of art. So my opinion of the dub is this; dont bother, go get the subbed (unless its DVD then you should have both...but should only watch the dub). [/B][/QUOTE]

...?
So, your against dubs and live action versions of anime (Which, though not too common, does happen quite a bit) because they seem to american? Well, isn't that a biased point of view. And, not much live action movies based on anime make it over here. I know of very, very few. So, if they're dumbed down (Which I don't think they are, but, then again, I don't watch much anime live action films), it's not the fault of the west. They are usually made in japan, and rarely (If ever) on this side of the pacific (Unless I'm very sorely mistaken, in which case I will apoligize)
And Dubs can be perfectly fine and even sometimes better than the sub in the race occurance (Or, almost always better than the sub, depending on the indavidual).
I hope you don't think anime is the [I]only[/I] thing they watch in Japan, as soaps and many other shows are very common and probably as popular or more popular than anime.
I think that the live action Evangelion should be interesting. I'm not saying it will turn out good or bad, because I honestly can't tell with the information I have, but it should be interesting.

[B]If your at all a fan of anime then you wont promote this live action movie thing. Westernizing anything is litteraly rape and just goes to show that despite this idea of cultural diversity and equality that America is famous for, we are a very shallow minded society. Everything has to be dumbed down so we can understand it. The same goes for dubbed anime. Its no longer anime, its just crap. Like dephiling someones work of art. So my opinion of the dub is this; dont bother, go get the subbed (unless its DVD then you should have both...but should only watch the dub). [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm a pretty dedicated anime fan, and I don't see what's wrong with making a live-action Evangelion. Yes, the Westernization of the characters' names is annoying, but is that really such a big deal? They're trying to create a commercially viable film--although the popularity of anime is growing, it isn't nearly widespread enough to automatically guarantee that the Evangelion movie will be a box-office success.

So I assume any Westernization will be done mainly for the sake of making the franchise appeal to a broader audience. This isn't exactly a new phenomenon; films adapted from books are often quite different from the novels upon which they're based.

EDIT: Here's a fairly well-known example. In the movie version of The Two Towers, Peter Jackson practically [i]butchers[/i] Faramir's personality. He's portrayed in a completely different light than he is in Tolkien's trilogy. Personally, that kind of thing concerns me more than simple name changes.

By the way, it's "defiling," not "dephiling."

I can't call myself a purist, but I'm willing to listen to your position. Unfortunately, you haven't really justified any of your statements.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Flashlight [/i]
[B]Really? I rather enjoyed Tiffany Grant as Asuka. Infact, I think all of the characters in the Eva dub were well cast, it's one of the few dubs I actually enjoy. Oh well, to each his own I guess. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I've seen the sub and Asuka's voice is more feminine and pretty, suiting her character more, because of her outlandish personality. Tiffany Grant overportrays the "bad girl" quality of characters and gives them a rough-and-tumble sounding voice and I like the feminine voice much better.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=#503F86]I thought Tiffany Grant's voice made Asuke a more likeable character. If she'd said things in a more feminine way it might have come off as rather more pathologically nasty rather than a rather thin front for her real feelings. But that's my view.

Anyway, the live-action Eva idea does intruige me. I'm interested to see what WETA will do to the plot and how some of the more complex points will get put across. I wish they hadn't changed the names though- they were fine as they were, but never mind. I could probably get used to it, given time.

I'd always considered getting a full complement of Eva DVDs but never actually managed to convince myself that it'd be worth it. If the full series of Resurrection or Restarted were to be released dubbed then I would definately get it, but that's marketers for you >.> anime DVDs aren't given the attention they deserve.[/COLOR]

[color=silver][font=times new roman][b]Well while I have whole heartdly gone out and bought the new version of the second to last dvd(Because im a chump :p ) Im not as blindly eager about the whole live action movie thing.

The whole name change thing bugs me...ALOT...Changing misato to susan being the worst of the bunch... ***Shudders***

If there willing to change names who knows what else they'll change...And I hardly think a commercial heavily cg american feature film will include the level of psychology, religious references, and general insanity of the anime.

I just dont see how its possible to condense the anime series down to a single movie...Or heck even a Trilogy.

Sighz oh well Ill probably go see it just to enjoy the eva fights...Atleast weta looks like it did a great design job.

And lastly the whole video game as a psuedo sequel to the series is utterly stupid. I dont want anything explained to me thank you. Evangelion was desgined so as for you to find your own answers. It was one hell of a mind rape and im fine with it staying that way. :devil: [/color][/font][/b]

[i]Come on, Mal, I was going to make this thread today. That's just cold. [/i]

Yes, I'm just hellbent on making everyone's day more dissapointing. ^_~

[i]But the big thing for me and this DVD is the interview with the WETA Workshop founders. They revealed a lot of information about designing their "Westernized" live-action Evangelion movie. Yes, it's official, WETA Workshop has officially begun work on the design for the official live-action Evangelion movie. It's not a rumor. Throughout the interview they revealed about fifteen concept art pieces, mostly of NERV headquarters and, logically, Evas 00 through 02. Apparently they are "Westernizing" a lot of things, including characters' names. Rei is now spelled "Ray", Asuka is now "Kate Rose", and Misato is "Susan". For about two days I wanted to go send razor blades to Weta, but it won't matter much in the end. [/i]

*twitches* Are they worried that people will get mad because they can't pronouce names and deny the fact that's they're stupid? *cough*MATRIX:RELOADED*cough* J/k, lol. Ugh...whenever I think about the Eva Live Action, I think of tacky machines running around that were taken out of Power Rangers and stuck in future Japan. And the shiny fabric that blinds our eyes that will be used for the pulgsuits. >_>. I wonder if WETA will be able to pull this one off, LoTR and Eva are two entirely different genres...I'll be watching it though. More harrasment from people at school. Fun!

[i]...and added a computer-generated [spoiler]Adam[/spoiler] into the scene. [/i]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo....*resides in corner*

[i]As for a redubbing, I hope anyone BUT Tiffany Grant does Asuka's voice. I've never watched the dub (thank goodness) but I absolutely LOATHE her voice anywhere I hear it. *Shudders violently*[/i]

Thank God you said that, Queen Asuka. I [b]hate[/b] Tiffany Grant's voice for Asuka...you should see the episode where we first meet Asuka [Episode 8, I think.] and Tiffany kills the dub when [spoiler] Shinji asks her what the big underwater shock thing was about. [/spoiler] She does this horrifying and shockingly out-of-place [i]OOoooOOOooOOO![/i] thing and I sort of sat there for a while just staring at the screen.

[i]I'm a pretty dedicated anime fan, and I don't see what's wrong with making a live-action Evangelion. Yes, the Westernization of the characters' names is annoying, but is that really such a big deal? They're trying to create a commercially viable film--although the popularity of anime is growing, it isn't nearly widespread enough to automatically guarantee that the Evangelion movie will be a box-office success. [/i]

Yeah, I think if the Evangelion live-action movie is done right, [I'm thinking LoTR quality here] it'll be awesome. But, you know, if it isn't...it won't be pretty. Oh, and, if you're actually planning on buying the Evangelion DVDs, Dagger, I'd wait until the renewed version comes out. That's what I'm doing...But if not, I would force you to watch the series. :p

I am not against Live Action anime spin offs at all. I think they're funny and entertaining. My point, was that I am against this whole "westernizing" of things from other countries. It seems that we have to change multimedia culturaly before anyone here will watch it. Even dubbed anime is an example of this. We're changing the voices behind the charectors and giving them a different personality. And while there are some dubs that are better than others, i will admit this, you can offer me no proof that there is ANY that are better than the original audio. Your simply changing the original into something else. So my overal gripe is that I don't support how we have to change everything from the original before anyone will like it. I understand that things are done a certain way to appeal to the masses. I understand marketing and I know its sneaky. Ane becuase of it, a lot of times you sacrifice what might be quality work, for the flavor of the week. And not only that, I am bothered at people who claim to be fans of anime or japanese pop culture in general, when their panties only get wet when they talk about dubbed this and dubbed that. I still stick by my belief, and you can dissagree with me all you want, but you cannot enjoy something like this to its fullest extent unless its in its raw form.

I welcome all views on this from everyone, but do it in a cival manner. So dont pick apart and respond to each sentence i've written with a paragraph, dont tell me I havent "justified my statements" and dont correct my grammar; that is so childish.

It seems I misunderstood you a bit the first time SadClown, and I apoligize for it. Your right that in some cases the dub can destroy a character, infact that's how it is to me most of the time, but then there are some cases (Very rare, but it has happened) in which the dubbed voices have portrayed the character better than the sub voices. In Rurouni Kenshin movie and Trust and Betrayal OVA's, I felt J. Shannon Weaver portrayed Kenshin much better than who ever did his voice in japanese (The name escapes me at the moment). And Isuka (In trust and betrayal), his japanese VA was, in my opinion, pathetic. He had literally no energy, and the guy who did the dub did a much better job than him in my opinion.
Subs are usually better, so I can see where your coming from and your arguement is pretty valid, but even the japanese VA's can get it wrong sometimes, so you just gotta keep an open mind. But your statements are pretty justified. :)

Anywho, I'm getting wayyy off topic here, so: When's the second DVD coming out, and how much does the first one cost (In Canadian dollars if you can)? :)

We're changing the voices behind the charectors and giving them a different personality.[/quote]

Don't generalize. Only in the worst of dubs is a character's personality altered. Cardcaptors (the Card Captor Sakura dub) is an excellent example of terrible dubbing. The entire storyline was changed, for reasons so moronic that I'm utterly incapable of understanding them.

[quote]And while there are some dubs that are better than others, i will admit this, you can offer me no proof that there is ANY that are better than the original audio.[/quote]

If you won't even consider accepting my evidence, how can we possibly carry on a proper debate? Besides, this is all a matter of taste. I've watched every single episode of Fruits Basket, [i]first[/i] subbed, then dubbed. And you know what? I ended up preferring FB's English VAs. The same thing applies to Voices of a Distant Star and Read or Die.

Maybe you like Tohru Honda's Japanese voice actress. I personally think that her voice is extremely annoying. Does this automatically make me some kind of uncultured pig?

[quote]Your simply changing the original into something else. So my overal gripe is that I don't support how we have to change everything from the original before anyone will like it. I understand that things are done a certain way to appeal to the masses. I understand marketing and I know its sneaky. Ane becuase of it, a lot of times you sacrifice what might be quality work, for the flavor of the week. And not only that, I am bothered at people who claim to be fans of anime or japanese pop culture in general, when their panties only get wet when they talk about dubbed this and dubbed that.[/quote]

I hope that last sentence isn't referring to me, because I watch most of my anime subbed.

[quote]I still stick by my belief, and you can dissagree with me all you want, but you cannot enjoy something like this to its fullest extent unless its in its raw form.[/quote]

Actually, I can.

[quote]I welcome all views on this from everyone, but do it in a cival manner.[/quote]

So far, so good. My previous post was most definitely civil, and I like to think that this one is as well.

[quote]So dont pick apart and respond to each sentence i've written with a paragraph, dont tell me I havent "justified my statements" and dont correct my grammar; that is so childish.[/QUOTE]

[i]We're having a debate.[/i] Call it what you will--but pray tell, how else can I respond to your point of view? I have provided examples to back up what I'm saying, and you haven't.

You're right--correcting someone else's grammar is definitely a cheap shot. I apologize; I simply couldn't resist....

....Although I was actually correcting your spelling.

I don't want to take this any further off-topic. If you'd like to start a dub vs. sub thread, then feel free to do so. I'll see you there. ^_~

EDIT: Just to clarify my viewpoint--I feel that most subs are better than most dubs. However, there are notable exceptions to this rule, and a lot of it depends on one's personal preferences. It just irritates me when people are so close-minded; i.e., when they flat-out refuse to give dubs (or subs) a chance.

~Dagger~

[color=silver][font=times new roman][b] In response to flashlight the first one I found on the net was for $32.99 CDN...I dont know if you can find it for more or less but thats what I found...

As for the next one it will be released 03/09/04...Im not sure what there gonna do with the last 2 eps of this directors cut edition...They cant simply replace them with the movies because manga entertainment owns the rights to those not ADV...And there isnt much they could add or substract from the crazy(in a good way :p ) Last 2 eps of the series.

P.S. Like dagger said move the sub dub wars somewhere else guys hun...Theres little point to it anyway. We have dvds...They have both sub and dub...End of conversation. :rolleyes:

Lets just all agree we love anime in all its forms and have a big hug. :whoops: [/color][/font][/b]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arkadyz [/i]
[B][color=silver][font=times new roman][b]Lets just all agree we love anime in all its forms and have a big hug. :whoops: [/color][/font][/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

Words to live by. Mind if I quote you in my sig?

Is it really only 33 bucks? I thought it would be somewhere in the forties. :) Hopefully I can get my hands on it soon.

[color=royalblue][i]I still stick by my belief, and you can dissagree with me all you want, but you cannot enjoy something like this to its fullest extent unless its in its raw form.[/i]

That's really like saying if you were to write a novel for a first time and thought it was perfection. Which, of course, is silly. [/color]