• Ikari Gendo/Ritsuko Akagi
    • Ikari Shinji/Nagisa Kaworu

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[QUOTE=UltimateX]I want to know hows the live movie going?
Its been a while since they said they were making it, when is it going to out?

hope i'm not off topic[/QUOTE]

no your not but i was wondering the same thing myself, i think that they are going to make the moive but people say it's going to crap, anyway at least they are going to make a try of it. As for when itcoming out who know?, they said that the Dragonballz action moive was going to be brought out last year and there is still no word.

[quote name='duoikari']i think that they are going to make the moive but people say it's going to crap,[/quote]
Before the original Batman movie came out, people were afraid that Tim Burton was going to make it a crappy movie similar to the Batman live-action TV Series.

I say, even if you don't have high hopes, don't identify the movie as crap before you see it.

Strange... I came here to ask the same question as UltimateX.

-ArV

According to Anime News Network's Kamikazecon report, one of ADV's co-founders (Matt Greenfield) did comment on the status of the Evangelion film. I quoted an excerpt from the report below.

[quote name='ANN']As expected, a large portion of questions revolved around the live-action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Greenfield confirmed that the project was very much alive, and they were currently in the process of finding a director. While naming no names, Greenfield did confirm that interest has been shown by several major directors, including one who has won an Oscar. He also mentioned that the probable location of the shoot would be New Zealand, the same country where WETA, the studio slated to create special effects for Evangelion, is located. When asked how soon the movie would be finished, Greenfield indicated it would be at least a year, most likely 3 or 4.[/quote]
Kamikazecon took place a bit earlier in March, by the way, so this news tidbit is pretty recent.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest General Ramus
I agree with you guys very much and I think Asuka is my Favorite person and also I think she should be with Shinji but also me and my Friends are writhing a altred evangelion and we are created characters based on us and we also are drawing pictures and and writing a profile for the Movie I have a character based on me will

[COLOR=Purple]no doubt about it Neon Genesis Evangelion is a rather hot topic and anime...
i agree with everyone here..
I love it![/COLOR]
[COLOR=Lime]I also read in a NewTypeUSA magazine it was the #1 anime in America!
that really is impressive
also running close behind was Cowboy Bebop and TriGun.[/COLOR] :catgirl:

[COLOR=YellowGreen]TwoMoons[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]As expected, a large portion of questions revolved around the live-action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Greenfield confirmed that the project was very much alive, and they were currently in the process of finding a director. While naming no names, Greenfield did confirm that interest has been shown by several major directors, including one who has won an Oscar. He also mentioned that the probable location of the shoot would be New Zealand, the same country where WETA, the studio slated to create special effects for Evangelion, is located. When asked how soon the movie would be finished, Greenfield indicated it would be at least a year, most likely 3 or 4.[/QUOTE]

An Oscar-winning director, eh? Sounds like Peter Jackson. He could do an OK job, but personally I think that Alfonso Cuaron would be the perfect director for an EVA movie. His work on Prisoner of Azkaban has shown he does a good job with teen angst, creepy monsters, mysterious settings, and dark action, and all of those talents would translate perfectly to an EVA movie. Also EVA is a very personal story, and while Peter Jackson does great jobs with huge epics, a very different kind of director would be needed to tell what is essentially a very simple father-and-son story that just happens to occur at the end of the world. Well, they said it was being shopped around to multiple directors, so my choice could be chosen.

ADV Theatrical will be one of the distributors for this movie, right? Would they be the ones to try to contact to submit a script for the EVA trillogy? I have some scripts that are really good. Damn awesome, in fact. Should I submit the script to ADV Theatrical, or should I try to contact them before sending the materlal? If the latter, what should I say in my contacts that will convince them the script is something worth looking at?

Guest Animaster3000
Would someone please tell me why they think Evangelion was a good anime. I liked it a little bit, but it was too confusing and tried to be way too in depth. I still don't understand what the ending meant. The series just makes me so angry :animeangr ! Well I just want to know what everyone thinks. And if someone could explain the ending I would appreciate it.

[quote name='Animaster3000']Would someone please tell me why they think Evangelion was a good anime. I liked it a little bit, but it was too confusing and tried to be way too in depth. I still don't understand what the ending meant. The series just makes me so angry :animeangr ! Well I just want to know what everyone thinks. And if someone could explain the ending I would appreciate it.[/quote]
Evangelion is considered to be a landmark series because it was such an ambitious project--precisely because, as you suggested, it goes into such depth regarding its characters' motivations and neuroses. For many English-speaking anime fans, it was one of the first "serious" anime they watched, and so it has also acquired nostalgic value.

The problem lies in the fact that Eva's ardent fans often present it as a series with such broad appeal that it can and should be appreciated by all anime fans. That's simply misleading--Eva, like any other show, is subject to the vagaries of personal taste & preference.

Other people are more qualified to comment on the actual events (plot-wise) that may or may not have occurred in the final two episodes. I do feel relatively safe in saying what those episodes are about, though... they're about the human condition.

I don't think trying to understand all the twists and turns of the story is the best way for most people to approach the series--one can enjoy it without picking up on every single hidden detail or connection, because it's character-driven (to the point that the dominance of character over plot becomes completely overwhelming).

Evangelion is not my favorite mecha anime, but it helped pave the way for some other shows I really like (such as RahXephon and Fafner). I find it sort of amazing and inspiring how the themes of Eva and its successors (particularly the two mentioneed above) so perfectly intertwine and complement one another. I actually get more out of such anime by watching them close together--events and dialogue in Fafner have somehow helped me better appreciate the emotional and philosophical nuances in Evangelion and RahXephon, and vice versa. Basically, I love this genre. :animesmil

~Dagger~

Ah Evangelion. The first anime I was able to see that WASNT ruined by the monster that is 4Kids! Personally, I really enjoyed it. It was a huge contrast from the norm (at the time) and really got me into Anime as a whole.

Ah well moving on I have a (slightly off topic) question. Does anyone know of anime similar to eva (other than rahxephon) In terms of the complex plots? I dont mean a mecha anime specifically, just an enjoyable story that is impossible to understand on the first viewing. Thanks in advance :animesmil .

Guest ominae yu
Evangelion was my first look at anime and is what got me totally addicted. If you want a good anime watch Full Metal Alchemist. Although it has nothing to do with mecha it seriously rocks :D

[quote name='shinji172']Ah well moving on I have a (slightly off topic) question. Does anyone know of anime similar to eva (other than rahxephon) In terms of the complex plots? I dont mean a mecha anime specifically, just an enjoyable story that is impossible to understand on the first viewing. Thanks in advance :animesmil .[/quote]
If you enjoyed Evangelion and RahXephon, you absolutely must give [b]Fafner[/b] (aka Soukyuu no Fafner, which translates to Fafner in the Azure) a try. Check my sig for some links to Fafner-related information. Yes, I am quite determined to keep pimping this show till kingdom come. :animesmil

Evangelion = Judeo-Christian mythology
RahXephon = Aztec (?) mythology
Fafner = Norse mythology

Anyway, Fafner shares some elements with both Eva and Rah--but despite a pretty generic premise (and the first few episodes aren't terribly inspiring, either) it really finds its own themes and carves out its own niche. As is also the case for Eva and Rah, Fafner has a huge, diverse and extremely well-developed cast of characters. I don't know that I'd call the plot "impossible to understand on the first viewing," but then I don't think that such a description applies to RahXephon or Evangelion, either.

But if you're looking for confusing and/or intricately plotted anime of any type (not just mecha series), that topic could definitely merit its own separate thread.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger][b]boxybrown305[/b]: I really need to get around to watching End of Evangelion, heh. At the same time, I'm afraid to watch it--I [i]loved[/i'] the final episode of the series, and I'm almost worried that seeing the movie might ruin the feeling the series left me with.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed][B]Note[/B]: I posted this in the Eva thread, for the sake of keeping on topic.

I feel the same way, i actually saw the movie before i saw the episodes, and the movie just confused me. It wasn't bad or anything, but the series ends so much more [SPOILER]happier[/SPOILER], which is greatly needed with all the [SPOILER]depression[/SPOILER] throughout the series. If you really liked the episodes, you might not like the movie, though...[/COLOR]

Thanks for replying. :animesmil

I've seen a theory that the last two episodes and End of Evangelion actually aren't alternate endings... quite a few fans seem to think that [spoiler]EoE shows what's going on in the real world--while the last two episodes take place at the same time, but only show what's happening inside Shinji's mind.[/spoiler]

Obviously I can't pass judgment on that until I get around to renting the movie, but I don't really like the idea of it, particularly since the movie apparently is a [spoiler]huge downer.[/spoiler] I don't even think I'd say [spoiler]the real world (or physical reality, or whatever) is especially relevant to the final episode of Evangelion. It just cuts brutally to the core of the series--the characters, and more specifically, Shinji.[/spoiler] So I guess it's a good thing that theories are just theories.

On that note, I completely agree that the [spoiler]happy[/spoiler] ending was incredibly effective in large part because everything up till then had been so [spoiler]hopeless.[/spoiler] Personally, I hadn't been expecting it at all. In this case, [spoiler]a dark ending[/spoiler] would have been the easy way out. At least in my opinion. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger]On that note, I completely agree that the [spoiler]happy[/spoiler] ending was incredibly effective in large part because everything up till then had been so [spoiler]hopeless.[/spoiler] Personally, I hadn't been expecting it at all. In this case, [spoiler]a dark ending[/spoiler'] would have been the easy way out. At least in my opinion. :animeswea [/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Ya, the series end threw me for a loop there. Even the way the second to last episode was heading, [SPOILER]i thought Shinji would just have a nervous break down, and become a vegetable or something. Of course it still left a liitle open to the imagination, as it just ends with everyone congradulating him, it doesn't neccessarily mean he was alright, just what was going on in his mind.[/SPOILER] Though it seems pretty obvious that it was meant to be a [SPOILER]happy ending[/SPOILER], so i'll just leave it at that.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dagger]I've seen a theory that the last two episodes and End of Evangelion actually aren't alternate endings... quite a few fans seem to think that [spoiler]EoE shows what's going on in the real world--while the last two episodes take place at the same time, but only show what's happening inside Shinji's mind.[/spoiler]

Obviously I can't pass judgment on that until I get around to renting the movie, but I don't really like the idea of it, particularly since the movie apparently is a [spoiler]huge downer.[/spoiler] I don't even think I'd say [spoiler]the real world (or physical reality, or whatever) is especially relevant to the final episode of Evangelion. It just cuts brutally to the core of the series--the characters, and more specifically, Shinji.[/spoiler] So I guess it's a good thing that theories are just theories.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]I've never quite looked at it that way. I have ponderd the possibility that they were in the same... "universe," just occuring at different times, though that idea never really worked. I don't think it would work that they were one in the same, though. [SPOILER]Seeing the movie, the way that characters act compared to the movie and the episodes, not to mention some... things... that happen to a few characters in the movie (i don't want to spoil anything for you)[/SPOILER], they simply don't corespond in the same way. I'll have to go with you, theories are theroies, but that's half the fun of having an open ended, um, ending. Everyone makes their own conclusions! I doubt that theory is what was originally intended though, as i've heard the movie (EoE) was created due to many complaints about the last two episodes, leading me to imply that they were meant to be taken differently (as alternate endings).

Like i said before though, i did enjoy the movie. It answers a few questions the series left (but similarly raises a few more), and it dives even deeper into the mythology of the whole thing. I could explain, but i'll save the details, since you (Dagger) haven't seen it yet, should you choose to.[/COLOR]

The only part of the movie that I think could be happening at the same time is the first part "air" and the first few minuits of the second part. [spoiler]They at least provide a guideline on how third impact was initiated.[/spoiler] However, I think you should view it as an alternate ending due to different events that take place.

• 2 weeks later...
So far I have only seen Vol 1-6.At 1st I though it was just about killing the angels and stuff but I think after vol 5 I was like O.O.It really started to get scary and good!!I had no idea about all the stuff that was going on.It really is a good anime to watch.I want to see the movie but I think I'll just finish watching the series 1st.

[quote name='Inuyasha311']I had no idea about all the stuff that was going on.[/quote]
Just wait until you get to volume 7. :animesmil

Well, that's assuming you're buying the Platinum version. If you're collecting the old singles (which actually might not be a bad move--sure, they're one disc longer than the new release, but it's also possible to find them being sold very cheaply), wait till volume 8.

Personally, I'd liked to know how many Eva fans who already own the original discs opted to buy the Platinum DVDs. Apparently Platinum has sold quite well for ADV, but it would be interesting to see what percentage of that comes from new viewers and what percentage is due to double-dipping.

~Dagger~

I'm with bloodseeker - I own the originals and really can't justify buying the platinum - but I will probably eventually when they have the box set!

I've not been able to find a compelling reason to buy the platinum - although if someone has both and can tell me a reason the platinum are better to own I would appreciate it.

It seems a bit like they just want us to spend more money... and eventually I suppose will succumb :animesigh

Well, the main reason to buy it is the remastered video & audio. On the video side of things, the show looks a lot more clear and vibrant; they also removed the "Gainax jitter." But unless you're a real video-quality fiend, the difference isn't so huge that its impact on how you experience the show would be worth buying the Platinum discs individually.

And if you don't own the Director's Cut discs, they included those versions in Platinum in addition to the on-air episodes. Of course that's kind of a moot point for those who bought the Director's Cut DVDs.

The presentation etc. of the Platinum discs (artwork/informational inserts, the silver slipcovers, the artbox) is generally rather nice, but I imagine that serves as better motivation for first-time buyers than for people who already own the show.

~Dagger~

I hated that added scene in the director's cuts right before [spoiler]Asuka looses it[/spoiler] where it just kept on repeating the same scenes over and over again.

Just to create to a bit of conversation... who wants to see Hideaki Anno direct another anime? The guy's off his rocker. It would be interesting to see what else the he could make.

[quote name='Bloodseeker']Just to create to a bit of conversation... who wants to see Hideaki Anno direct another anime? The guy's off his rocker. It would be interesting to see what else the he could make.[/quote]
His & Her Circumstances has some similarities to Evangelion, if only in terms of how it's directed. The high level of comedy makes it hard to draw straight comparisons between the two shows, but the some of the serious scenes in His & Hers are strikingly reminiscient of Eva. Especially in the later episodes that hint at Arima's inner demons.

I saw fewer such parallels between Eva and Nadia, but it's still a great show anyway (barring the string of filler episodes in the middle). Actually... now that I think about it, while Nadia seems like more of a classic adventure story, there are definitely some characters who appear to be earlier versions of characters in Eva. This applies mainly to the crew of the Nautilus: Captain Nemo is Gendou, for example, and Electra is Ritsuko. I suppose one could also point to Grandis as having elements of Misato's personality. Same goes for Nadia and Asuka, although in that case the connection is much more tenuous.

Those are the only Anno-directed anime I've seen, although I'm also interested in watching the first Gunbuster OVA.

If he were to direct a brand new anime... hm, well, he's already done mecha and high school romance. I guess I'd like to see him do a magical girl series. It would probably turn out something like Utena, haha. Or maybe a straightforward fighting show (a la Bleach or Yu Yu Hakusho). That would be interesting.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]If he were to direct a brand new anime... hm, well, he's already done mecha and high school romance. I guess I'd like to see him do a magical girl series. It would probably turn out something like Utena, haha. Or maybe a straightforward fighting show (a la Bleach or Yu Yu Hakusho). That would be interesting.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

He is currently doing The New Cutey Honey, which is a magical girl series. Not exactly the type of magical girl series you were expecting, heh.

-----

[QUOTE=Dagger]Just wait until you get to volume 7. :animesmil

Well, that's assuming you're buying the Platinum version. If you're collecting the old singles (which actually might not be a bad move--sure, they're one disc longer than the new release, but it's also possible to find them being sold very cheaply), wait till volume 8.[/QUOTE]

Volume 7 of the old releases was pretty freak-crazy and more solidly entertaing than Volume 8 IMO.