OtakuBoards

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Shinmaru

I've heard tons of great things about this game, it's amazing.

For those who might not know, the Prince of Persia series is an Adventure/Platform series that has been around for years. Sands of Time is the latest game in the series.

The gameplay is said to be phenomenal. The controls are tight and easily used and the time powers that are at your disposal in the game are said to be quite fun to use. Also, from what I've heard, the fighting does not get repetitive and the puzzles are tough but not too tough. The story is also said to be pretty deep.

Sands of Time has been getting incredible reviews from just about everyone. I'm wondering if anyone else is going to get this game and why or why not.

I've been following this game ever since it was announced. I want to get it sooo bad, but I might have to put it as second most anticipated, behind [i]Mario Kart: Double Dash!![/i], though.

I used to have the old Prince of Persia for Gameboy when I was little and I really liked it, but I don't remember ever getting past the first level. Ya know, you go ALL that way to get the sword, backtrack to the guard's room, die, and repeat. Don't forget all the "falls to your doom" on the way to get the sword and back. I still seemed to love the game even though i was so bad at it.... and I've been a fan ever since. :)

So yes, I will definitely be getting this game sometime after it comes out. I've also been eyeing up [i]Spinx and the Shadow of Set[/i] (or whatever that stupid name they changed it to is).

The original Prince of Persia games were really good (except for the last Prince of Persia, which was pretty forgetable). I especially enjoyed the SNES Prince of Persia...I liked the end puzzle at the end, heh. So simple, yet so many people never seem to get it...the mark of a great puzzle :D

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is definitely at the top of my list, as well...there are so many great games out there and I simply can't get them all :( I just hope that Sands of Time sells well because it's certainly deserving of great sales. Could be a sleeper hit, in my opinion.

What's most intriguing to me is the time powers, though...I really wanna take those for a test run and see how much the developers integrated them into the game. I just hope it isn't a disappointing gimmick like in Blinx; that game was more than a bit disappointing.

Guest The Bouncer
Yea i heard about this game.i Its im my gamepro mag. Ill probably get it for christmas or my bro will. but as of now i have too many otehr games. like MKDD , Tony Hawk Underground and Need for Speed underfround

Most of the hype seems to be coming directly from Matt at IGNCube. Going around other sites and reading comments from other magazine people I trust (such as those from EGM that visit GAF), my interest has died down slightly.

I've watched some videos and it does look cool. If you notice, Matt never seems to comment on the combat. Apparently there is a reason for that, which knocked this down my chart a bit.

Right now, I'm looking forward to Beyond Good and Evil and MK:DD as my next two GCN purchases... this is in the wings. Depends on what other magazines give it. All I know is that I'm hearing far more better things about those two games than PoP, and money is too tight for all three.

[color=#006699]I can't honestly say I'm "looking forward" to it. But I've been reading about it in various magazines. I'm slightly intrigued as to how the action will be. It's said to be DMC like action, but done better, more abilities, better control, ect. Such as running across the wall and such.

I can't say much else looks interesting, because I know nothing about the game. I'll go read up on it a bit and come edit this. [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]Right now, I'm looking forward to Beyond Good and Evil and MK: DD as my next two GCN purchases... this is in the wings. Depends on what other magazines give it. All I know is that I'm hearing far more better things about those two games than PoP, and money is too tight for all three. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah, Beyond Good and Evil is another game on my watch list right now. EGM knocked it down a bit because of its supposed short length, but ten hours or so sounds good to me, considering how good the game sounds.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! goes without saying, heh. I am definitely going to pick that game up no matter what.

Apparently PoP has a lot of lame things in it than wind up making it longer. There is supposedly a boss that takes over 30 minutes to beat. Not because he is challenging, since you can beat him without getting hit... but because he seriously has that many hit points. That doesn't sound fun to me lol.

Whereas people are comparing BG&E to Zelda-style games... I've not heard one bad thing about it from anyone. Plus there are apparently a few side quests that could lengthen the game if you want to complete them.

• 1 month later...
[color=#707875][size=1]Like the topic title says, is Prince of Persia actually worth it? I've heard fabulous reviews about it from all types of magazines and a few friends, but haven't played it up front. Well, to get to the point, is it worth it?

-Lan[/color][/size]

depends on the game you like, and if you like to play games over. Personally i love the game it's fablous with beautiful graphics, and hard puzzles. If you don't like puzzles, don't get this game. If you didn't like ICO, don't get this game. Though this is WAY better then ICO. plus it's sooo easy to get use to. though at certain times it makes you feel retarded because the puzzle was really simple and your expecting it to be all complex. But yes you should get it, though i played it on the xbox and not the PS2 so....if there is a difference sorry

I just stopped playing a few minutes ago, and I can tell you that it's a very nostalgic experience. I'm not going to say it's a great must-have game, but this 3D re-creation is everything the original Prince of Persia was and should have been.

Take that in any way you want.

I like Prince of Persia. My friend just got it and we have been playing is all day. It is like a dream; in most games ou wish you could turn back time but in this one you can actually do it. You can also see into the future which can kind of ruin the surprise. You can speed up time which I don't really like much because it I like playing games slowly. You cab slow down time which I love. The graphics are so so they could be better.

[color=green][size=1]
I just got this game for Christmas and it is really good! Although I get lost quite a bit in it and I find it hard, i still think it is great. The controls are easy to figure out and running on walls, jumping, climbing, ect. are very easy as well (I thought it would be hard to do some of the moves).

The graphics are pretty good as well (But the main character sure is ugly). I really like the glowing sand.

I was going to get DD for Xmas, but my mum accidentally mixed up the order and got me F-zero GX :bawl: [/size][/color]

[font=tahoma][color=#707875]I've read a good few reviews on this game from a few differant magazines and I have to say that I'm impressed at the scores that it's been getting from them. The idea behing the sword in Prince of Persia is interesting and the way that it's powers have to be refuel the swords powers so you can use the special effects [I'm not giving away anything am I ?].

I plan to get this game and of course the other most talked about one in this thread Mario Kart: Double Dash as soon as I get paid this week, huh this is a good week for my game cube with Worms 3D aas well, a word of advice is that after you get good, get rid oif the AI teams and replace them with better ones[/color][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
The sands of time is very good and I recommend getting it or at least a rental or two. It is interesting how you can slow, stop, or speed up time, like a Viewtiful Joe only better and without the bad storyline. The only problem is I find it hard to kill them. It takes a lot of hits (or maybe its just me :) )

I think Prince of Persia was beautifully done, allthough the puzzles can get on my nerves some. The ability to turn back time is pretty cool, since you'll need it alot in all the high flying flips and turns in the game. The battle system is amazing, in my opinion. The acrobatics done to destroy each enemy is very cool. The graphics aren't completely amazing, but they fit the game perfectly.

In the end, Prince of Persia definately lives up to the advertisement given, and you should definately either buy or rent it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Viper0529 [/i]
[B]The sands of time is very good and I recommend getting it or at least a rental or two. It is interesting how you can slow, stop, or speed up time, like a Viewtiful Joe only better and without the bad storyline. The only problem is I find it hard to kill them. It takes a lot of hits (or maybe its just me :) ) [/B][/QUOTE]

Viewtiful Joe's storyline is [i]supposed[/i] to be stupid. It's making fun of old movies.

Anyways, I would definately reccommend Prince of Persia. The puzzles are challenging, but, thanks mainly to the visions, not too challenging. Combat is awesome, and the whole time-controlling thing really adds a lot to the game. It's quite enjoyable.

• 4 months later...
So I don't know if you allow these types of posts, so if not I'm sorry...but anyway......Today I was playing through Prince of Persia again.....And something WEIRD happened..... OK so after Farah runs of with your sword and dagger, and you get your new 1 hit duster sword....you enter the next room to see Farah run away and have the prince yell at her. so you beat up the bad guys and run up hop up the wall to see she's gone right?...............not in my game. >_< I climbed up the wall, and she was just standing there. So I could push her around and hit her and have her hit me.....but she didn't have my weapons...and if I stared at her....her mouth would move, but nothing came out. It was really freaky? This is just one of my freaky POP adventures. And it's not a scratched disc. It's still perfect, since it's my fav game. Anything like this happen to anyone else?????? :( :eek: :eek: :smirk:

I had that same thing happen to me. I reached the point where you say she was but wasn't supposed to be, and she wasn't there. I went onward, but died before the next save point. When I reached that part again, there she was. I died a few more times, and every time she was there. She even shot me with an arrow when I atacked her. But when I played through a second time (without dying between that save point and the next), she wasn't there.

[color=indigo]The post itself is fine, it just should've been posted in the original Prince of Persia thread. (I've merged the threads now). Before you create and new thread, you should always use the search tool to check if there's already a thread about the game you want to talk about. The search makes the process quick and easy, instead of having to wade through pages and pages of threads. ^_^[/color]

From what I've heard, the basic story is that all of the Prince's ******** around with time has unbalanced time itself, so the prince (as its his fault everything is screwed up) takes it upon himself to right his wrongs and save Iran...sorry, I meant Persia. I've seen some fairly bad quality footage, and from what I can see it could be very interesting. One scene showed the (artist formerly know as) Prince attacking a pirate (it looked like a pirate anyway...) who changes into a sand creature in the middle of the Prince's combo. So it seems like more sand slashing will be afoot.

It was a very fun game so far, as i have not beat it, I cannot say what any of the higher up *powers* are, if you will, but nobody wants to hear them anyways, if they havent gotten em :) The controls were indeed very solid, the camera occasionally threw me off track, but that was probobly my fault. I for one thought the fighting got repetative when you do the jump up, backflip slash stab manouver... then again, thats probobly just me. Overall, I thought it a very entertaining game, and I reccomend it to rent, or to buy.

-Pawn