OtakuBoards

How did you get your user name?

JuliasPeach

[quote name='Dan L']...the closest I could find was "Deus Ex Machina", which roughly means "an unexpected solution to a seemingly unsolvable problem, either in fiction or history", or "God from the machine".[/quote]The phrase deus ex machina even goes beyond that. According to my brother, in Greek plays the hero was often a god, and all Greek gods can, apparently, fly (why not?). So the crew would string up a system of pulleys to suspend the actor of the god in the air, thus making a "god from the machine". It can also be thought of as "hero from the machine", so I suppose the creators of Deus Ex saw that JC Denton, the main character, was a deus ex machina (for non-DX fans, the machines are nanomachines implanted in his body). Cool, eh?

My name? Well, not too much to it. I had an incredibly stupid previous name that I thought of many moons ago that I will not state here (you may not say anything about it, but by gum you'd [i]think [/i]it! I know you would!) that I thought of because I was too lazy to think of anything good. I recently had it changed to something equally stupid, but funnier; because every time I come to OB I see: "Welcome, [b]Who?[/b]." I'm always tempted to tell James that his site keeps forgetting my name.

I need to get a life.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This name came after I decided that I needed a change from my old, god-awful username (to those who remember that name...you do not get a cookie, because I want all traces of that name to be exterminated). The Shin part of my name comes from Shin from Cowboy Bebop, who I found to be a cool, unheralded character. Way more kickass than Lin, let me tell you.

The 'maru' is just something I threw on to make the name sound less like a nickname and more like an 'actual' name. Interesting thing is, I thought I came up with a decently original name, and since I started using it, I've found out that it's been used on message boards and stuff for a while. Damn people, why must you take the glory out of my creative streaks?!

And there you go. Not that anyone really cared. Heh.

My original username was "Squashed Snail". I dunno... why. I thought it up pretty much. Out of the back of my head.

"Fall" has more of a reason to it. It describes the basic line my attitude towards my life was. It still fits me perfectly if you ask me, though I've picked up a fair bit. One side of me [i]is[/i] that word. Perfectly.

Well mine is a very interesting story cause i once was abducted by aliens and they said if i didnt join the otakuboards and call myself James Goodwin they were gonna destroy planet earth. :eek: No not really :rolleyes: This is just my proper boring name thought know i wish i had called my JC Version 1 after matt hardy version 1 :(

I was just starting to get into Inu Yasha when I relised that Shippou was the coolest character ever.

He does not really do anything and when he gets scared he drops little panic mushrooms. which are basically crying mushrooms

It took me a long time to learn his japanese name was it chippo shippo chippou but i fainnally found it out and still think that he is the collest character.

Shippou

My name was begotten when I was going through happy days of my life, which are still here...It sounds really lame but I like it because it's me. Although it might have something to do with the fact that I was visiting Rainbow Lake with my dad at the moment...meh.

[size=1]My username came from the same anime character.

When I made one I was thinking of Youko Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho. The silver was because of his "silver" hair and I thought a fox with nine tails was a "mystical" creature.

If I join any message board my user name will most likely be xmystic_silverx.[/size]

Well how I got my user is pretty simple actually, I was one day just mindlessly surfing the net and then I came up with this name, it will fore ever become my permanent name for no one else I know has it, in fact I'm pretty much a loner with a name so different from everyone else, that no one could think of it, I love it and I will never give it up.

Mine came from the fact that someone kept claiming that I was the spawn of the devil. I ran with this and found out that the word 'Asura' was supposed to mean 'demon seed', so I added a 'h' to it (to have the 'ash' part to it, which I thought looked better) and Bob's your uncle!
I found out later that there was a bug in Sonic 2 that garbled the palette, turning Sonic into a strange green. This phenomenon was named 'Ashura'. So most Sonic fans think that I ripped the name from that. Oh well...
Also, a Pokemon fan-fic has been brought to my attention. This fan-fic extended Ash's name to Ashura, screwing me over there as well. Now Pokemon fans think I ripped it from that as well! You can't win can you?

Guest lavalamp
I have a lava lamp. Uh.

I felt my lava lamp and I were pretty close so I wanted to make a tribute in some way. I decided to register at a message board with its name to do so.

Guest Spike88
[FONT=Impact]Well, I got mine from a long way back. When I was in like the third grade I had a good firend named Tommy who moved away shortly after that in about the 5th grade anyways we still keep in touch. We used to hang out and play imaginary games like all little kids did. We invented fictional characters and gave them powers and stuff and so my characters name was Spike and it stuck with me for 9 years and when I was signing up for the internet recently I liked the name and kept it. As for 88 I'm very uncreative and well they alwyas want you to put letters and numbers and so I could keep the same sn and not have to remember a million I just chose the year i was born. So to make a long story even longer I am Spike88[/FONT] :devil:

My user name for everything (from yahoo to AMV.org) is roxybudgy.
Why did I choose roxybudgy. First of all, I had no idea the name "Roxy" was a brand name. I found out a while ago when my sister told me that Roxy was a brand name.
Anyway, why roxybudgy? Roxy was the name of my favourite pet budgerigar. She got eaten by a neighbour's cat three months ago. Of course, I am against using other people/budgie's names as your own so I added 'budgy' at the end. 'budgy' is supposed to be a variation of the word 'budgie', which is a variation of the word 'budgerigar'.
And the Americans ask 'What is a budgerigar? '. A budgerigar is what the Americans call a 'parakeet'. As an Aussie, I call them budgerigars. Technically, budgies aren't parakeets (I'm obsessed with budgies, as well as anime and manga so don't mind me if I blab on about budgies).
It really bugs me when people use character names as their own. I bet there are at least a hundred people who call themselve Kagome Higurashi. Get your own username, it really annoys me when people use character names as their own, but if their parents named them that then its okay.

[QUOTE=JuliasPeach]this topic is about how you got your user name tell me how you chose your name and why?

mine JuliasPeach has two resons

one is that it stands for Julia's Peach, my name is Peach and My girlfriend's name is
Julia :love:

two is that Julias is like Orange Julias a place that sells fruit shakes!! (Yum!!)
so instead of Orange Julias its Peach Julias which is Julias Peach!!!
Muhahahahaha! :D

sooo how did you get your name??? :)[/QUOTE]

Usually at a site such as this I'd be posting under "The Anime Schoolgirl" but the character-limitation prevented me here. So no schoolgirl-pseudonym this time.

Adora is another pseudonym I use regularly. I pilfered it from the Magna Carta game by Softmax. Adora was just a really cool character, and I liked the name. For the record, I don't nor ever have liked the Smashing Pumpkins (since some smart-alec always asks).

At the time I signed up, I was reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Raolin Darksbane was one of the "False Dragons" and I just really liked his name. Except I changed mine to Raonin. I stopped reading the books, but the name is still cool.

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Well, this isn't my original username. I had my original username, which was dark_dragongirl, changed to DDG a few months after I'd signed up here at OB. I'd had it changed because it was bothersome to have to type out a long name when I signed in, I also thought that the abbreviation of it sounded cooler, heh.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]I chose dark_dragongirl when I first signed up because, for one, I love Dragons. I think they are the coolest of all mythical creatures and, for two, Dark Dragons are even cooler, 'cause being evil's totally fun. So, I cam up with dark_dragongirl, the girl was added because I am a girl, of course.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]I thought my name was original, for awhile. Until that fateful day when I searched for it on Google and found out that many other people were using DDG as an abbreviation of there name(a few didn't even make sense how they could get DDG out of their name). Still, DDG is what everyone seems to know me by, even people who've barely heard me called DDG(that'd be like the people on my AIM, YIM or MSN IM) know me by it, so I'm content with the name and refuse to change it ever again.[/color][/size][/font]

Well...I got my name because...I was Role playing as my boyfriend's wife and I was Queen Keiko ,but my sister said that I make a better princess than a queen or something like that,anyways, my role play character isn't a princess , she's a samurai ,but so far that's how I got my name.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1]Older OB members probebly remember the way I came up with my username, I've said it several times in the past.

Anyway, I came up with it back in December 2000. The name pertains to a Dragonball series created called Dragonball X(this has nothing to do with hentai). This series is set about 20 years into Mirai Trunks timeline, meaning after future Trunks killed the Androids and cell. In this story he's married and has two children, the eldest is a girl named Trohan, the younger one is a boy, Tronic.

Seeing as King Vegeta was dead, then the prince Vegeta we now know was also dead, that would technically mean Trunks would become king, meaning Trohan would be princess.

That is how I came up with it. Saiyan, referring to her race and princess, her rank. The X means Xtreme, which as I've mentioned before is part of the title.

I never finished the story, but I always kept the name. I started using it in January 2001 and have been ever since. Although I'm not an avid Dragonball fanatic anymore.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Okay, it is kinda like a combination of a couple things ( ;) this might get long, so bare with me on this one):

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I have always liked the sound of the word [I]aria[/I], and thought that it would make a cool name. (I also like the Castlevania games, but it is [B]NOT[/B] a reference to [I]Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow[/I]).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]In [I]Lunar: Silver Star Story[/I] there was a character named "[I]Dyne[/I]" (pernounced "die-nuh"). He was a Dragonmaster who had the ability to command and use the power of the Four Dragons to protect the goddess Althena. Why does this matter? It doesn't. Did I like Dyne? No. Did I even play that game? Nope. Then what's up with the Dyne stuff: his best friend, Ghaleon. I [B]really[/B] liked [I]Lunar 2: Eternal Blue COMPLETE[/I] and is one of the few PSone games I'm gonna keep. Dyne was not in it, but Ghaleon was ^^! There were a couple of references to Dyne in Lunar 2, and amoung that is what I think is possibly the saddest anime cinematic from a vgame EV-ER: [/COLOR]

** SPOILERS ** [COLOR=RoyalBlue]Ghaleon's last scene. He had learned some new dark powers and turned into one of the bad guys (go figure), but RIGHT AFTER he finally turns good again, yep, he dies... just like all my other favorite characters. The sun breaks through the clouds, and Ghaleon looks up into the sunlight. He mentions his old friend, Dyne, before finally fadeing into the light. You see his "tiara"-like thing fall to the ground and roll away, and then his cape blow away in the wind . Of course it was much more elegant and sad than I made it seem then. [/COLOR] :D

[COLOR=Navy]Well now, so far I've mentioned a likeing of the name "[I]Aria[/I]" and a connection with "[I]Dyne[/I]". So, how did I get them together? The answer: Xenosaga!! Yes, [I]Xenosaga Episode One: Chikara he no Ishi (The Will to Power)[/I]! There was a planet that "mysteriously disappears" during a test of the Zohar Emulators (...or the real Zohar...or something, can't really remember...) called [I]Ariadne[/I](pernounced "are-e-odd-nay"). I really liked the sound of that. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]All I did was change the spelling of [I]Ariadne[/I] to incorperate "dyne". Simple enough. :smirk:[/COLOR]

Guest ceres_16
my name is just from the anime series "ayashi no ceres" actually me and my friends just created code names from ayashi no ceres.
the number sixteen is the age of ceres' reincarnation.
turn the number 16 upside down it becomes the year of my birth,91(1991).

These threads, in their various incarnations, have [i]never[/i] once developed into any sort of discussion in the grand scheme of things. I'm certain to this day that the general poster in these threads contribute their own story and neglect to read anyone else's. We're left pointlessly listing these things. I can understand this, because from a personal standpoint, I don't care how most of you thought of your names. When I am curious, it's only a matter of privately asking someone.

I've let this thread have its run. Now, it's time to put this baby to sleep.