OtakuBoards

Gundam SEED

Arkad

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]I happend to watch the new Toonami Saturday night. Since I had nothing else to do I decided to watch it. So later on I ran apon seeing the show Gundam Seeds. And found it...well sweet. Havnt seen anyone post a thread about this show. So to me it seems like this show will be in my top ten animes list. What do you think of Gundam Seeds?[/COLOR][/SIZE] [/FONT]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Arkad][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]I happend to watch the new Toonami Saturday night. Since I had nothing else to do I decided to watch it. So later on I ran apon seeing the show Gundam Seeds. And found it...well sweet. Havnt seen anyone post a thread about this show. So to me it seems like this show will be in my top ten animes list. What do you think of Gundam Seeds?[/COLOR][/SIZE'] [/FONT][/quote]

First of all, it is not called "Gundam Seeds". It is called "Gundam SEED".

I really liked the first episode. I have been a gundam fan for a while. The first episode introduced the charcters and the story. The only problem i have with Gundam SEED is that it seems too much like the other gundams. Almost all the other gundam serris had a episode called: "It is called gundam" or something close to that. It seems a little too simular to Gundam Wing in my opinion. I guess i will have to wait a few episodes to see how this Gundam differs from the others.

EDIT: Does anyone know why Gundam SEED is called "SEED"? The "SD" in SD Gundam is there because "SD" stands for Superior Defender. So, what does the "SEED" in Gundam SEED stand for? I'm just curious.

[quote]Almost all the other gundam serris had a episode called: "It is called gundam"[/quote]

Uh no o_O... The first episode of Gundam SEED was entitled "A False Piece", (atleast that was teh fansub translation) nowhere was there anything remotely similar to "it is called Gundam". And while SEED starts out as a mixture of various Gundam series (it mainly borrows off of the Original Series and follows more or less the same plot line with a few interesting twists and turns here and there) it changes and continues to get better as it progresses up until around episode 34 or so o_O when blankety blank happens and while the series remains interesting there is something very ironic that occurs and that kind of kills the momentum and "realism" factor of the entire series :rolleyes:. Anyway obvious influences in the mecha designs will also become apparent such as how the GINNs & DINNs are based off the original Zakus/Zaku IIs, etc. etc.

[quote name='Hittokiri Zero']Uh no o_O... The first episode of Gundam SEED was entitled "A False Piece", (atleast that was teh fansub translation) nowhere was there anything remotely similar to "it is called Gundam". And while SEED starts out as a mixture of various Gundam series (it mainly borrows off of the Original Series and follows more or less the same plot line with a few interesting twists and turns here and there) it changes and continues to get better as it progresses up until around episode 34 or so o_O when blankety blank happens and while the series remains interesting there is something very ironic that occurs and that kind of kills the momentum and "realism" factor of the entire series :rolleyes:. Anyway obvious influences in the mecha designs will also become apparent such as how the GINNs & DINNs are based off the original Zakus/Zaku IIs, etc. etc.[/quote]

The second episode of Gundam SEED is called "they call it Gundam". The first episode of SD Gundam is called "His name is Captain". So, there is a simular name for two Gundam series. Also, didn't all the Gundams(except for G Gundam and SD Gundam) have a war over colonies or a war between the earth and some faction? I may be wrong, that is why i'm asking.

[quote]The second episode of Gundam SEED is called "they call it Gundam". [/quote]

Originally when you said that in your first post I thought you were reffering to the first episode, and while (just about) every Gundam series does contaim some type of epic war struggle that is not always what the entire series is based around, take Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket for example, while it did contain two sides struggling for supremecy it was really based from the point of view of the young boy Alfred and was depitcting the horrors of war as well as how there truly are no "good" and "bad" guys in a war. Also while most Gundam series start out the same in some way or another, if one were to place SEEDs beginning alongside another series rather than compare it to Gundam Wing i'd compare it to the original Mobile Suit Gundam or possibly Gundam 0083 SDM as the Gundam's dont just appear from space but they are rather "Gundam jacked" and stolen.

Guest gendou ikari
No... Youre kidding me aren't you...a They're actually showing Gundam Seed on cartoon network? I thought that they were just going to show one episode! Dear God, they've come near to slaughter every other Gundam series! :flaming: ... Oh well, seeing as how they slaughtered YuYu Hackusho and showed Eva that one time, I shouldn't be surprised...

Back to the war premisis;
Gundam 0079,0080,and 0083 were all based on the same war, right? The only difference was time, the storys hero, and the Gundams and technology. Sorry if i was wrong, but I havent watched Gundam in such a long time, aside from Cartoon Networ's first SEED

I also watched the first episode of Gundam SEED last Saturday, and I have to agree that it has alot in common with the older Gundam shows, mainly 0079.

Of course the series is gonna have a young boy who pilots a gundam for some reason, and fights some badguy in a funny metal mask.
But the biggest similarityf I noticed was the ZAFT faction. They're almost just like the Zeon, right down to their one eyed Zaku ripoffs.

Other than this lack of originality, I found the first episode to be pretty good. I like the character designs for most of the characters, and the animations is sharp.

I'll have to see more of the show, before I can really say if I'm a fan or not. Hopefully they'll add some twists in order to get out of the same old story.

I thought the first episode of Gundam Seed was asome, it really made me wanna watch the Gundam series allover again. I stopped once they made that stupid SD Gundam show but oh well. I like the new characters they have on there so I'd give this show a 8/10,thats all it gets because it replaces.Hacl//Sign's normal time,or another show does but it really made me mad :flaming:

Reading a lot of these posts, it seems that many people don't know much about the Gundam franchise.

Every Gundam series has had to do with war. Every, single, one. G Gundam may be an exception, but a small one at that.

Gundam Seed is just following that franchise, but is paying much more homage to the original Mobile Suit Gundam than New Mobile Report Gundam Wing.

The original Gundam series was about a boy who lived in a neutral colony which was secretly siding with the Earth's side in a war between Earth and the colonies. The colony was destroyed and the boy and his friends had to get on a "Pegasus" shaped ship to escape. The boy of course was a natural at using the prototype mobile suit... Gundam.

Sounds like Gundam SEED doesn't it? Not as close to Gundam W though. Gundam W is a story of politics and 5 pretty unrealistic bishounen during war. I love that series, especially the OVA.

Gundam SEED, on the other hand, is about a war among REAL PEOPLE. That's what causes it to be so attractive to many people. You get to see a variety of characters and how they interact with each other, in a wartime situation. This series is more of a soap opera than any of the other Gundam series.

SEED is a great series to get you into the Gundam franchise if you're new, and especially so for girls, who this series seems to be targetted towards. If characters or plots seem similar to Gundam W, be sure that Gundam W got them from the original series.

-ArV

Allow me to interupt. Since Seed's release late last year, everything what you guys said was already mentioned, i.e the similarities between original Gundam and what not. You will all set it aside soon though as the series is really just that damn good. It was so successful in Japan (and fansub groups) that an OVA and even the first true sequel to a Gundam series (Gundam Seed 2) is going to be released later this year. Still though, I have high feelings CN has cut massive parts since the series is pretty bloody (I'm talking buckets of gore people) in its original form. I have yet to see the CN version but I'll see it later this week considering I remember to watch it.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]All of you have a good point. I tuned in to watch other Gundam series and well...I found out that they all sucked in comparison to SEED thank you dposse for correcting me. Especially Gundam 0079...just wanted to make me puke. I found that SEED is so far the best in all of the gundam series. You all may disagree with me, but again it is only my opinion.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Guest alphonse
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]well i saw all the gundam seed..it great......i just love izak and duel.... 52 episode isnt that long dont u think so...but hey it a very good anime to watch..but much much more better that all the others ones....if there is any that could compete with gundam seed at all...AHHHH SEED..because tha main character KIRA... have a seed ..the seed is when [spoiler]KIRA GET PISS....HIS SEED breaks...and he goes BERSERK...that woooo..man SCRAY KIRA....[/spoiler] TO TELL U THE TRUTH GUNDAM SEED IS NOT A DISSAPOINTING. BECAUSE IN THE NEAR EPISODE BETWEEN 20 -30 IT ALL GREAT..... if u want to know more..just email meeh or go to [url]www.gundams.net...and[/url] see all the sceenshots..but hey they r all great...the story line is not like any other story line of gundam series....the characters u gottas love..and the favorite characters [spoiler]that died..so sad..and the friend that came together and became friends while the other stole his future wife[/spoiler]....so sad....am i saying too much stuff?[/FONT]

[quote name='Arkad][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]All of you have a good point. I tuned in to watch other Gundam series and well...I found out that they all sucked in comparison to SEED thank you dposse for correcting me. Especially Gundam 0079...just wanted to make me puke. I found that SEED is so far the best in all of the gundam series. You all may disagree with me, but again it is only my opinion.[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]

[COLOR=Indigo]Oi ve, can you do anything else besides bash the other Gundam series?! Have you no suave? Let me begin by correcting you.

First off, Mobile Suit Gundam from 0079 did in fact suck as a TV SERIES, but if you were smart and bought the English Dubbed only VHS tapes you would definetly enjoy it, simply said because the character development is more present in the movies than in the series, secondly the voices are much more real; the actors didn't just act all dumb and mechanical like they do now, also the music is very touching. So let me get this straight, you think that ALL gundam series suck... Boy I have a few series to make you think otherwise, starting from Zeta and moving up.

Gundam Zeta: Gundam Zeta is set in UC 0083, a few months after Operation Stardust from the 0083 series (which in fact was released quite a while after Zeta had finished airing.) and focuses on 17-year old Kamille Bidan who will soon become the pilot of the Gundam Zeta. This series has major character development, serious complexities, and a decent musical score to go along with it.

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ: Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ or Double Zeta was released in Japan in 1986 and is a direct sequel to Gundam Zeta. Now the focus shifts to young Judau Ashta who now takes control of first Zeta (I won't reveal what happens to Kamille simply for the sake of the fact that Zeta is coming out this September) and then he takes over ZZ. This series is very comedic but it also has its dark points. It focuses on Judau finding his lost sister and reuniting with her. But I'm very certain that there are plenty of other reasons he's piloting the ZZ.

Chars Counterattack: Duh, simply stated. Its Char getting revenge on Amuro for the death of Lalah. The movie is out in english so get it, watch it, and tell me what you think.

Mobile Suit Gundam Formula 91: This a feature length film and is very good IMO simply because its the first to last UC Gundam ever and it introduces a lot of new technology to the UC fans. Catch this in May.

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam: I made a whole thread about this but since you dissed all of the other gundam series I think you ought to listen to this. Mobile Suit Victory Gundam IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE LONGEST RUNNING GUNDAM SERIES!! It spanned over 52 episodes and since the budget was so huge for it it got a full year of air time in Japan. The story focuses on 13 year old Usso Evin who is forced to pilot the Victory Gundam, at the age of thirteen you would think that he would go either nuts of become some sort of sadistic killer, well I won't tell you. You'll have to find out for yourself when V-Gundam comes over to the U.S. But what makes V-Gundam so great is the simple fact that its budget was so huge that the animation is great, the musical scores are composed by a full orchestra, and the fact that the mech designs can trace back their roots to their 0079 ancestors, and then there is the gundam, it in itself is unique and is a work of art, also some newer mechs were introduced as well.

G-Gundam: I know, most of you people think this is a horrible Gundam Series, but so what. Here's Gundam history 101. G-Gundam was in fact made specifically for the 15th anniversary of Gundam and granted some people grumbled about at the begining, but by the end everyone enjoyed it. But the U.S. version was kind of sloppy, I mean calling God Gundam, Burning Gundam was just so wrong, as well as Devil Gundam to Dark Gundam.... But this series is noble in the sense that it actually went the distance from the original creators lines of making Gundam. Mass produced gundams and a large gundam fight, its awesome.

Gundam Wing: YOU DARE SAY THIS SERIES SUCKS!!!! I OUTTA SMACK YOU WITH A HOT POKER!!! *is suddenly censored by Dagger.* Okay, now I'm angry.... Wing was the FIRST GUNDAM SERIES RELEASED IN AMERICA!!!!!!! If Wing hadn't done well here you know what, SEED wouldn't be here and we'd all be like "what's a gundam??" So I definetly suggest you hold your tounge on Wing.

Gundam X: This I'll agree, it doesn't do so well in the sense that the script went no where and the characters were pale, but the mechs and music were good.

Gundam Turn A: This was made by teh man himself, the man who originally created gundam made a return debut and released this little gem so as to say. It did exceedingly well in Japan and I can't wait for it to debut here.

Gundam SEED: If you noticed, SEED was made practically in homage to the UC gundam.

I forgot to mention 0080 and 0083, I haven't done my research on those two yet but I have read about 0083 and I must say that I am not impressed, reminds me of X too much...

But yeah, please think before you bash all the other Gundam series and then say that SEED is good. Because if Wing hadn't done well, then SEED wouldn't be here.

There, that's my rant for now. [/COLOR]

[quote name='alphonse][FONT=Comic Sans MS]well i saw all the gundam seed..it great......[i]blah blah blah.....[/i'][/FONT][/quote]

alphonse, your post is frankly rather frightening. The absence of proper capitalization and punctuation makes it [i]incredibly[/i] difficult to read, and the whole thing basically ends up being one long run-on paragraph. You can't avoid writing complete sentences simply by using (rather, abusing) ellipses to denote a pause.

Also, OtakuBoards never permits double-posting. I deleted your second reply, but I don't want to have to do that in the future. Sensitive information should be surrounded with spoiler tags, which you can create by typing [*spoiler]text[/spoiler]. Just omit the asterisk. As a newcomer to the series, I'm perfectly happy not knowing about certain plot twists.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me or one of the other moderators. Thank you very much. ^_^

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]Have to say you did a hell lot of research, and bet you wasted a lot of time Domon. Your wrong about the fact that Gundam Wing brought all the other Gundam series. It would't matter because another gundam series would have taken Wings part. And plus if you look on the very bottom of my post it said this is only an opinion.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Arkad][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]Have to say you did a hell lot of research, and bet you wasted a lot of time Domon. Your wrong about the fact that Gundam Wing brought all the other Gundam series. It would't matter because another gundam series would have taken Wings part. And plus if you look on the very bottom of my post it said this is only an opinion.[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1]You know, I still am chuckling at the fact that you actually THINK that if Gundam Wing would have flopped, another Gundam series would come over here.... Tch tch tch.. In the words of Bush Senior "Read my lips." If Gundam Wing had flopped over here, do you honestly think that Bandai and the other companies that were involved with bringing it over here would actually take the risk to bring yet another series over here?? Do you remember what the other gundam series was that aired after Wing?? It was the original Gundam, and you saw how poorly it did as a TV series...

The only other reason Gundam has continued to flourish here would also be because of the toy/model/game industry that it has spawned, but do you know where those also started, JAPAN... If Gundam Wing had not come over here, we most certainly would not know what Gundam is. So in short and to re-illistrate the point, Gundam Wing led to the Gundam craze over here. And yes I know that your whole post was an opinion, but I thought you should know about Gundam SEEDs roots before you start bashing and shooting down the other series without first understanding them.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Gundam SEED is starting to drag a bit... but since these beginning episodes are mostly exposition, I suppose that's to be expected. I'm definitely looking forward to Saturday night; it looks as though the main conflict will start to get underway as Athrun faces [spoiler]accusations of treachery.[/spoiler] Speaking of which, I feel [i]really[/i] bad for him. Athrun's position is much crappier than Kira's (at least in the sense that he's the one who feels a duty to attack, whereas Kira merely has to defend his comrades and stay alive).

I love the Zechs/Char clone's English VA. His voice is smooth and very pleasant, and his accent sounds impeccable, regardless of its authenticity or lack thereof.

~Dagger~

Guest Spike88
[FONT=Impact]Well, my thoughts on the show it rocks lol. It is one of the greatest Gundam series that has been drawn. It adds great detail in it's images. Ohh and about the bad guy is Gundam obssesed with shiny masks that just cover the eyes and nose lol. Anyways I think it's great and I'll continue to watch it but is about time they got rid of SD Gundam and got back to the good stuff. Later[/FONT]

Eh... Domon, Arkad let's leave this which gundam series is better arguement for another thread ^__^' that way I can join in too =P.

[quote]Gundam SEED is starting to drag a bit...[/quote]

The dragging continues on for a tad but longer then things start to get interesting, sadly it's not really till the later half of the first half and start of the second half of the series that things really start getting great and why many old school gundam fans take a liking to Gundam SEED becomes apparent. As for Athrun's situation, it really is much worse than Kira's on all levels. First of all since he's an actual part of a military organization and is the son of a high-ranking government official, unlike Kira he just can't just stop fighting because of feelings he has towards the enemy. The fact that Rau Le Cruz (sp?) ( I've seen so many different spellings that I don't even bother checking the correct spelling for the name... -___-!) esentially assigns Athrun as the captain of the Cruz team (the team in charge of destroying the archangel) just adds more to the hopelessness of Athrun's situation.

[QUOTE=Chiimaru]HELLO!!!

I'm new here!

Okaaay

See Ya!![/QUOTE]

This post is totally off-topic and far too short to qualify as anything but spam. Please review OtakuBoards' rules before writing another reply; you'll find that we place a strong emphasis on post quality and that official introductions are not permitted. Since you're new, it's best to simply browse the forums until you feel comfortable with joining a discussion. ^_^

~Dagger~

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]Hittokiri Zero, thank you, I agree this argument is lame and stupid, I didn't want to argue, I remmember in fact saying THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION, I honestly don't care. Anyways ya I have to agree that SEED is kinda boring in the begining but its gettin intresting.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]Gundam SEED is starting to drag a bit... but since these beginning episodes are mostly exposition, I suppose that's to be expected. I'm definitely looking forward to Saturday night; it looks as though the main conflict will start to get underway as Athrun faces [spoiler]accusations of treachery.[/spoiler] Speaking of which, I feel [i]really[/i] bad for him. Athrun's position is much crappier than Kira's (at least in the sense that he's the one who feels a duty to attack, whereas Kira merely has to defend his comrades and stay alive).

I love the Zechs/Char clone's English VA. His voice is smooth and very pleasant, and his accent sounds impeccable, regardless of its authenticity or lack thereof.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]Dagger i just finally finished watching all 50 episodes (whoever said theres 52 i couldnt find anything past 50 and it said on episode 50 in the beginning it was the last episode for that series), and it was extremely good. Probably the best Gundam series ive seen, even better then 08th MS Team. Anyway though it picks up a lot with not concentrating on non-stop fighting, but instead gets into something deeper once you get past episode 30ish....you'll see what i mean if you decide to finish seeing it. It had a lot of great plot twists, one i wasnt suspecting at all [spoiler] Cagalli Yula Athha and Kira Yamato being siblings i didn't see comgin at all, I thought they were going to have a relationship to begin with but i finally realized later on it was going to be Kira and Lacus Clyne [/spoiler].

Anyway you'll probably really like this Dagger its got a unique taste compared to the other Gundam series, and you pretty much like every single character in an obscure kind of way. However, i would pretty much say not to watch it dubbed i found the sub to be a lot better.

• 3 weeks later...
I love Lacus. ^_^ I could definitely do without her bright pink.... bouncy thing, but generally speaking her personality really appeals to me. In certain ways she reminds me of Aeris (one of the main characters of Final Fantasy VII), and for me that's never a bad thing. I tend to be a little picky about female characters; for example, I have almost no sympathy for Flay (is she trying to set a new record for the number of insensitive comments made in a single episode?), and Natarle is far too fond of rules and regulations. Thank goodness that Lacus is the only one who Kira's blushed at thus far.

With that having been said, I hope romance doesn't become a significant aspect of Gundam SEED. I don't think the characters should all be utterly heartless (as they are in Wing), yet I also have reason to suspect that realistically portraying tender emotions isn't this anime's strong point. ^_^;

~Dagger~

"Haro, haro" [quote]I could definitely do without her bright pink.... bouncy thing,[/quote] errr... They're called Haros! Hence the fact that's all they really say :rolleyes:. Lacus is really an interesting character she's not one of my favorites, but she seems quite oblivious to the war even when she's right in the thick of things. Which is quite the contrary to the whiney and annoying Flay and on the relationship between coordinators and humans.

While luckily for you Dagger, SEED doesn't concentrate on romance I'm not sure I exactly agree about the "tender emotions" part. In a way SEED does center around emotions, as time and time again we see how Kira and Athrun are torn apart from having to fight against one another. Okay I admit it all does seem a litte exaggerated but I guess you win some you lose some :p