OtakuBoards

What TV shows did you watch as a kid?

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet]I'm in a strange mood lately so let me be.

I don't know what it is, maybe the fact that Rainbow Bright, Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake have become so mainstream now....Again.

I remember watching these shows on TV back when you had to get up to change channels and cable was only just coming out and Nickelodian had their kids only weekend. I also remember that Strawberry shortcake had two really neat villains. Sour Grapes and the Peculiar Purple Pie Man from Porccupine Peak.

I remember getting up early to watch Rainbow Bright and hoping that she wouldn't get too hurt by Murky and lurky on Saturday mornings. I also remember the whole Care Bear stare thing, but I forgot the bad guys in that show. Dang it.

I also seem to vaguely remember watching some Barbie and the Rockers cartoon on HBO, but maybe I was halucinating because of the ritalin in my six year old body.

Then of course there was Thunder Cats (which I can't stand to watch anymore) in pre-school. Everyone seemed to play that at pre-school.

As for non animated, I liked you can't do that on television where they'd dump slime on people. I wanted them to dump slime on my brother and pop out of lockers like the kids on TV.

Well, I said what I watched, now you guys. *re-reads post* damn I'm old![/color]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=teal]Yeah, Thundercats is the devil... any show that uses a theme song to manipulate little kiddies into increasing TV ratings is the devil.

One I remember that I used to watch was Rainbow something, I can't quite remember the name but the main character had a zip for a mouth and was always getting told off. That's beside the point though. What I'm really trying to get at is this funny video I saw that featured Zippy and friends trying to teach the kids how to play music, and the language they used was just?

"Hey zippy, shake your maracas at the same time!"

"Only after I see Bob and Amy, where are they anyway?"

"I think they're banging on their drums in that room. Hey come out you too!"

"Hi"

"Did you have fun in there?"

"Oh yes, we were banging in their all night, didn't you hear us?"

The worst part is that that's just a tiny extract of the whole show. If you watched it you'd be creasing, but I can't seem to find the video. Anyway, that's some example they're setting for kids, wouldn't you think?[/color]

When I was younger ( very long ago, I feel so old) I myself used to watch this show in Australia when I was younger....... It was called Aggro, It was this show which had all kids cartoons on it, I wasn't allowed to watch it that much because my mum used to be very much against watching TV in the mornings.

I also used to watch a British childrens show called the Basil Brush Show. I remember Basil Brushes Boom Boom jokes. Hah, I didn't get them when I was younger but when they bought it back on the ABC ( Australian Broadcasting Channel) I suddenly understood the boom boom jokes, Man were they dirty.

Sadly enogh, i was also a thundercats fan. I even wanted to be a thundercat but my mum said i couldnt until i was eighteen. Thankfully, that fantasy has vanished. I also used to watch programmes like Mr Bean repeatidly. I dont know why, but you never seem to get bored of shows as a kid.

There was a show which left me slightly disturbed though, and that was postman pat (its english, you might not have heard of it). There was a line in the introduction song that said "greeting people as he meets them", and i always heard it as "eating people as he meets them". Plus, i had to put up with a duvet with his picture on *shudder*.

There were also some really obscure shows which i used to watch in South Africa, but i cant even remember the names.

Well, im gonna go unearth my old thundercats videos.

I used to watch Tundercats too but i cant really remember it.
I loved Postman pat when i was little and Fireman Sam. I used to get the theme tunes mixed up and ended up singing a hybrid of the two.
I watched Power Rangers and then played it in the playground with my freinds.
I was always purple ranger, i made my own ranger up because i didnt like the other colours. I cant believe that i thought the baddies were real because ive seen so eps recently on fox kids and the costumes are just so bad.
Rainbow was funny. I like Zippy because he was always naughty but his voice was really annoying.

[color=darkred][size=1]What a great thread. Makes me think of my strange, crazy, chaotic childhood. Well my childhood wasn't to long ago. O_o;

I used to watch alot of TV but now it's something I rarely do. Well let me think, I used to watch alot of TV shows.

Ronin Warriors; Oh man was that one sweet anime. I didn't even know what anime was back then I just thought of it as a cartoon.

Thunder Cats; Everyone had to watch Thunder Cats! lol, it was great.

Sailor Moon; Moon Crescent Power! Is what I would say after every episode. "I want to be a sailor scout! I'll be Sailor Sun!" is what I would tell my mom who would just nod her head and look at me like I"m crazy.

G.I. Joe; Yes! Awesome show. I was a really big G.I. Joe fan. I just have to laugh at myself.

Power Rangers; OMG. I just gotta laugh and cry about this. I was a HUGE Power Rangers fan. I didn't want to miss one episode. I watch all the movies. It was just funny as heck. When they were giving out those Power Ranger belts at McDonalds my brother and me woould play Power Rangers. Of course we would fight about who gets to be the White Ranger or Red Ranger. "I want to be the White Ranger!" I would yell. "No, I'm the white Ranger and Red Ranger!" When arguing couldn't decide we went into Battle mode! I'm just cracking myself up thinking about this.

Well as you can tell I was a tomboy back then.[/size][/color]

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1]My childhood doesn't feel that long ago 'cause I still watch what I watch then sometimes ^_^, why? Because I'm sad and like my cartoons, but anyhow to the cartoons:

[B]Transformers:[/B] The all time greatest cartoon/anime ever made. Fave characters include Starscream [Woo!!!] and Soundwave 'cause the 'cons are all evil and therefore they rock. Much better than todays cartoons, especially Armada *shudders*.

[B]Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars:[/B] Not a lot of my friends remember this but I do. Basicly a big green hare with a red space suit fighting big toads in blue with his crew, which included a four armed duck o_O?

[B]Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles:[/B] Thats right, HERO TURTLES! Not the crappy Ninja turtles you have today which have runied the memory of the real villians. Shredder is a bumbling fool and not super-creepy, what happend to Bebob and Rock Steady! And don't get me started on Krang and dimension X.

[B]Power Rangers:[/B] Gotta be hasn't it, the classic Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers! With the Dino-Zords and Rita with Lord Zed, classic show. The only sequal I feel is equal to MMPR is the Wild Force power rangers cause the story is actually good and they use decent CGI effects from time to time.

I'm sure there is more and I'll edit as I remember.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=darkblue]I do remember this: my absolute favorite show as a kid was The Patty Duke Show. Gotta love that Nick at Nite.

But of course there was Voltron, Thundercats, Silverhawks, and Belle & Sebastian.

Anyone remember Belle & Sebastian? The White Monster! Now that I think about it, why was everybody so afraid of Belle? She was just a damn dog.[/color]

I used to love Nick at Nite as a kid. I distinctly remember staying up until midnight or 1AM when I was maybe 12 years old to watch Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke. Now I think that's kind of strange ... I never watch them anymore, but I definitely have a strange nostalgia for them.

Other than that, I watched all those ... SNICK shows, was that what it was called? Those really dumb Friday or Saturday night shows on Nickelodeon, like Pete and Pete and ... I don't even remember any of them. Not Are You Afraid of the Dark? though, because I don't like scary stories.

[color=darkblue]Oh, yeah! I remember those Snick shows, though I was more of an adolecent when they came out and not so much a kid anymore. I watched 'em all. My favorite was Clarissa Explains It All. I loved that one.

Dick Van Dyke, that was good.

Mostly I remember the shows I [i]wasn't[/i] allowed to watch, for some stupid reason or another, because they were against my parents' religious beliefs. I know I've mentioned this before. There was Scooby Doo, Pee Wee's PlayHouse, Smurfs, Masters Of the Universe, Care Bears, about a million others... oh yeah, we had to change the channel when the Count came on on Sesamee Street. Oy.[/color]

[SIZE=1][B]I watched strange things...

Tom & Jerry: C'mon! This is still one of my favourite shows now, Spike is my favourite character, I remember when I got the first movie on Video I watched it for hours and hours... ahh... the memories...

Power Rangers: Yes... I too used to watch this... let's just leave it at that...

X-Men: Yep, the old X-Men series. I remember when I was very young... I watched an episode and I remembered Wolverine in the intro, and the song. At that time I liked Beast best, and I used to watch it every morning when I went to Wales and stuff, it was great! I still watch X-Men now, and Evolution too.

Beatle Borgs: Something along those lines... I can't remember it much, but I watched this before X-Men.

And this one show with this... guy in it that had a green bug suit, well it looked like that, and he rode a Motor bike, he also had another form, an orange suit. I have the 3 figures of him... one small one from '95, a large one from '96 with no fingers or antena thingys, and one of him as the green suited guy from '95 also.

Beast Wars: Ah yes... I never understood most of it... but I still liked it ^_^[/SIZE][/B]

I know what your on about Vicky was it the one where there was a furby thing.

I watched Thundercats, I watched the movie a few weeks ago ebcause the technician in school told me to.

I watched the original Xmen and spiderman and silver surfer and well nearly everythign amrvel.

I watched Transformers.

Don't make me bring back such painful memories.

[SIZE=1][B]Oh, I remember watching Silver Surfer! Now that was good, I didn't watch Spider-Man though, but I did see this one cartoon with all those space characters in it, Cloud might know what I mean, it's being advertised on TV "The greatest Animated story ever told now on DVD" or something along those lines, I think I watched that show.

Oh, I don't really remember any fluffy things... but In BB there was this Dracula guy who lived in a mansion.[/SIZE]

Oh yeh that ulysses thing.

The last one I can remember watching is the original Dungeons and Dragons with Barbarian, Acrobat, cavalier, ranger and thief I think.they beat Tiamat but they would never beat Bahamut.

And after they beat Tiamat they beat avenger but did they ever get home?

Oh yeh there was a wizard aswell and the gnome, Dungeon master.

Man, don't forget one of the best shows of all time: [b]Garfield and Friends[/b]. I loved that show (even that Orson's Farm part was interesting at times) and since I was obsessed with Garfield back then (and still sort of am now), I watched it everyday. I think I've seen every episode. Hell, I'd still watch it now if I could find it :)

[color=darkviolet]Did anyone besides me watch She-Ra along with He-Man?

Okay and if you watched it did you ever think that Adam had a thing for his sister (Can't think of She-ra's actual name) when they met in that movie?

I had She-ra action figures along with that Catra lady who I thought was kind of pretty even if she was a villain. That was the way my brain worked when I was five. For a while She-ra was Barbie's little sister, but that's off the record.

Power Rangers came out when I was in 7th grade, so I was spared watching that until I watched my cousins. :flaming:

I loved Rainbow Bright tho. I still have my Puppy Bright plushie. I used tohave all the Colored Kids and Rainbow Bright, but I donated them to my parent's church's nursery.

I have to agree that Thunder Cats was evil. And what's with only having one female character? Her weapon was a friggin' stick![/color]

Anyone else remember Roundhouse? It was a fast-paced, low budget, musical sketch comedy show on Nickelodeon. I loved it. The cast was talented (in terms of both comedy and singing), the sketches were always hilarious. I used to wonder why Nick cancelled the show, but then I thought back and realized the show was far too mature for kids my age (rather, my age at the time). They used the occasional profane word, for one thing. I remember them making fun of Star Trek and actually saying "Damnit, Jim! I'm doctor!" I also remember this miscommunication that involved talking about homogenized milk. I won't go into detail.

Guest Chibi Kitsune
I was a big Rocko's Modern Life fan, I still am! :D
Ren and Stimpy is my all time favorite!

LOL, you watched a LOT of cool stuff!!! I'm only 15, so I'm not the best person to say what I watched as a kid...but...I remember watching stuff like My Little Pony, and movies like Thumbelina...I was a spoiled little kid with too many Barbies and My Little Pony paraphenalia.

I'd have to agree with the Power Rangers and Nija Turtles...they were very good back in the day. But Power Rangers had too many series made and just got stupid, but I do like the New TMNT, very awsome and stays with the original story plot...makes me wanna go see the movies at home again. He-Man was one of my favorites, but my oldest brother was one of his biggest fans! He had mostly al the: Toys, Clothes, stuffed figures, and other He-Man collectables. Same as TMNT, the new He-Man show is awsome and modern for teens to like al over again if they liked it when they were little.

~Laters

well i asked my mom what i used to watch and here it is
when i was little i used to love barney. yes i still know all the kids from that show and occasionally sing one of the songs

lamb chop...that was a funny show. i particularly remember when sheri put her head on puppet thing lol

and yes i loved mighty morphin power rangers. i remember they were tommy, billy, kimberly, trini, and someone else.... lol. i was always the yellow ranger

[color=teal]I also watched Thundercats when I was little. Nowa days you ask yourself how you ever could have watched such things.

I think I sometimes watched the smurfs. But then after awhile I got scared of it.

There is also Blues Clues and Teletubbies. Blues Clues isn't that bad but Teletubbies? I think I lost a few brain cells watching that one. Teletubbies is evil. Two years ago I heard this rumor about all them being gay so that scared me more.

What else? Oh yes! Barney! The classic Barney! When I was in kindergarden I would watch that right before I got on the bus.

There is only one show that I still like but it doesn't air anymore and that is Lamb Chop. It was so funny! I love that lamb. I wish I had like a puppet of it![/color]