OtakuBoards

What TV shows did you watch as a kid?

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=indigo]These are some of my childhood favorites that were actually on there first run when I was little, not syndication. Boy, do I feel old.

He-Man-yep, I loved He-Man. I wanted to be He-Man between the ages of five and seven. Actually, nearly twenty years has passed and I still think it would be pretty cool to wield a sword and ride on a tiger in my skivvies, I guess it is my homoerotic fantasy. He-Man was also a marketing organizations wet dream. I know I had everything that dealt with he man. I even had a Skeletor secret base that I could slime characters with (but you couldn?t slime Moss Man because the slime would cling to his faux-moss body). I was so cool.

Transformers were cool because you could combine the robots (which turned into things) with other robots (that turned into things) into a big robot (that didn?t turn into anything and often fell apart with a slight nudge). The coolest transformers were the ones that ad heads that separated from the body and turned into little robots. I remember always loosing the heads.

I remember watching the Snorkels quite a bit as well. The Snorkels were really just colored versions of Smurfs with snorkels super glued to the side of their heads, and instead of living in Mushrooms they lived in kelp. I actually think they used the exact same voice actors that the Smurfs did.

Another favorite was Inspector Gadget. That show was so sweet and I so dreamed that my mom?s mini-van transformed into a sports car. Another great show was Danger Mouse (which may have been syndicated by that time). While Mighty Mouse was basically a Superman type figure, Danger Mouse was a mix between Batman and 007. I think I watched that show pretty religiously.

Dukes of Hazard and the A-Team also caused a great amount of television fixation during my youth. Oh how I wished and still wish that I could own the General Lee, BA?s Black Van, and Daisy Duke. [/color]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=darkblue]I just remembered another one, which I'm sure you will all make fun of me for.

Yesterday morning, I was really bored and flipping channels and I saw... Saved By the Bell.

Who could ever forget the greatest couple to ever exist, Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski?

My brother and I were talking about a year ago, and he admitted to me that he still watches that show nearly every day on his lunch break. This was before teenagers were portrayed as real people, folks.

Go ahead and laugh, that show was a classic.[/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud][color=indigo']Another great show was Danger Mouse (which may have been syndicated by that time).[/color][/quote]

[color=teal]Gotta love that theme song, eh?

I also watched a couple of military based cartoons when I was younger, like G.I.Joe and the animated Rambo series. Those shows were so corny, you'd get the typical bada** character, and at the same time there was the hero who always prevailed, while the bada** never actually pulled off what he claimed he was going to do in the first place. Also, every character had a collection of their own lethal looking guns, but nobody [i]ever[/i] seemed to use them, and if a car or a truck was going to blow up, the passengers and driver would always have enough time to leave the vehicle just before it exploded.

Rambo looked nothing like Stallone in the animated version, I swear. He was twice as buffed and three times as cocky, but that doesn't explain how he managed to get his butt whooped by the other bad guy spoofs.

Samurai Pizza Cats was my all time favourite though. Like any typical cartoon, each character had their own personality; one was the leader, one was extremely feminine, etc. The most impressive thing about it is how exactly it was developed... who would have known that merging cats, pizza, and martial arts would produce such a successful take? It was only back in the day could such originality have been displayed, shows that are still being produced from that time are deteriorating as we speak, completely shoving aside how brilliant they once were. The Simpsons is a good example.

Kids these days will never have the luxury to grow up and ask one another, "So, what shows were you into when you were a kid?" I guess we're just the lucky ones.[/color]

[QUOTE=Lady Macaiodh][color=darkblue]I just remembered another one, which I'm sure you will all make fun of me for.

Yesterday morning, I was really bored and flipping channels and I saw... Saved By the Bell.

Who could ever forget the greatest couple to ever exist, Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski?

My brother and I were talking about a year ago, and he admitted to me that he still watches that show nearly every day on his lunch break. This was before teenagers were portrayed as real people, folks.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]That show was great...I even remember coming home from school and watching the early episodes when it was just Zach, Screech, and Lisa, and they had that wierd female teacher with the bad accent.[/color]

[color=teal]Another series was made that showed the lives of Zack, Screech, Slater, and Kelly in their college years, which is what it was called. Nothing special, not at all like the original. I like Zack's Bart Simpson-esque attitude the most, he managed to piss that head teacher off in every way possible, heh. You can catch it on Trouble, if you have that channel, along with a more updated version of the Fresh Prince.[/color]

[size=1][color=darkblue]I have two words for you: Power Rangers. How can you grow up without loving the Power Rangers, honestly? I think my favorite Ranger was the Yellow Ranger. She was awsome. I actually don't remember to much about it except the fact that I thought it was the most awsome thing ever. I always played Power Rangers in my baby siters back yard with her son and their neighbor, we were some crazy kids. (I actually think once when we were playing back there I ran into the teeter-toter, had a [I]huge[/i] bump on my head... ^^;; heh heh...)
I also watched the Dave Letterman show. Now, I'm sure you weren't expecting that, now were you? I always would stay up late at night to watch it, I thought it was funny.
I also enjoyed Woody the Woodpecker. That was one kick-*** cartoon. That crazy bird. I can still do a good immitation of his laugh/weird sound thingy he does. My mom used to be able to do that to, maybe it runs in the family. >>;;[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=darkviolet]I actually remember playing power rangers. I was the yellow ranger just because the pink ranger seemed too happy all the time. Now that I think about it, they were all too happy all the time.

Oh, another one nobody has mentioned yet is Animaniacs. I loved Animaniacs. But it was so strange. Yakko had pants but no shirt, Wakko had a shirt and a hat, but no pants and Dot had a skirt but still no shirt.

That was the funniest show ever on TV I really miss it. I can't decide if I liked the songs or some of the skits better. One of the best tho was when they played Little old Lady from Pasedena and had Slappy Squirell driving like a maniac. Oh, and the time she was at Woodstock.

There just are no good shows any more, I wish they'd bring some of the old ones back. Even the Chipmunks would be an improvement. Can someone please explain how a human ends up adopting 3 talking singing rodents? And why they're all boys but wear dresses? Nobody else, except for the Chipettes is a talking animal. And no other guy wears a dress. Go figure.

Okay I have to go watch SailorMoon then go to bed now.[/color]

Man, all of you people remember things like power rangers and Rocko's Modern life.

now I was born in 1987, and as a kid I watched

M*A*S*H
The 6 Million Dollar Man
Coronation Street (A soap opera here in England. Yes, I'm a BOY, I'm STRAIGHT, I was a KID, and I watched a soap opera. You have problem? o.O)
and the all time classic...
the A-Team
*starts humming the tune*

I dont really remember too many... I had (of course) power rangers, teenage mutant ninja turtles... barney of course (hey, I was young!), sesame street (i still cant count to 3... :laugh: ) probobly some assorted ytv shows like pokemon or something. Batman (yeah, back when they had the ever so cool *POW* *WHAM* *CRASH* and of course, *BOOM!*. Rescue rangers, animaniacs and some others also spring to mind. "Chip chip chip chip chip and dale! rescue rangers! chip chip chip chip chip and dale, rescue rangers!" *hums tune*

Guest RPGoddess
Ahhh~ I loved watching the Super Mario Bros Super Show until it was cancelled. Also Batman was an alltime favorite of mine! ^^ Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego (Gameshow), Spiderman, Megaman (which I now have on DVD! ^^), Sailor Moon (My first anime, yay! ^^) Stuff like that.

[quote name='ColourDeaf']Coronation Street (A soap opera here in England. Yes, I'm a BOY, I'm STRAIGHT, I was a KID, and I watched a soap opera. You have problem? o.O)[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I don't have a problem with it. A friend of my brother's had me tape a few of his Soap Operas for him while he was in school. And I know for a fact that guy's straight too.

Then since I had satelite at the time he'd tape SailorMoon for me since I had to go to work.

Another one I remember watching is Smurfs. You know those freaky little blue things? There was this guy GArgamel who was always trying to catch them and he ended up making Smurfette becuase for some odd reason prior to that creation there were no female smurfs. (oh ,look at my run on sentance!) Gargamel had this cat name Azreal. I always felt sorryfor the cat because he/she never seemed to get enough attention, but tehy guy was always calling it stupid and mangy.

As I think back on this show I'm wondering if perhaps teh Smurfs were gay or something. Because there was only the one female and she wasn't even originally a Smurf. Yet tehy'd lived for centuries w/o them. But maybe they were also stoners becuase of the Mushroom houses.

Okay, I need to stop annalyzing cartoon characters.[/color]

I loved the Rescue Rangers! They even had a cult episode . . . the Fizzy Cola one, or whatever. My mom is a Disney nut, so I watched Talespin and Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck (which I actually hated, but for some reason now recall fondly . . .). And Marsupilami, that thing with the long tail and leopard spots. Woody the Woodpecker I would try to get up really early for, and Felix the Cat I only saw a few episodes and the crazy movie. I own that movie now. People really shouldn't watch it.

And I watched the Chipmunks, Sporks, Smurfs; the Animaniacs were great and so was Pinky and the Brain. Samurai Pizza Cats was one that I could never figure out when it was on. But I thought it was really funny when I could catch it.

I liked My Little Ponies, too, but they irritated me because in one episode they would be like horses, but in the next they would be like people. There was one were some of the ponies got married, and baked cookies and stuff like that. And in another, they ate berries and helped that blonde girl find her little brother. And did not use their hooves to pick up ungraspable-if-you-are-a-pony objects.

The number one show i watched as a kid was sailor moon with my sister. It was the first anime show that i watched so i guessed thats what got me hooked. We'd have the alarm set for 5 o clock and run downstairs to watch it. ahh the memories

I spent a good bulk of my childhood TV time watching Nickelodeon. This means I usually watched shows like [i]Inspector Gadget, The Lost City of Gold, Welcome Freshmen, Salute Your Shorts, You Can't Do That on Television,[/i] and the original [i]Double Dare[/i], back when Marc Summers hosted it.

This means I also got around to watching a good portion of Nick at Nite back [i]before[/i]it was filled with nothing but Roseanne and Bill Cosby. That's right. I'm talking about [i]Dobie Gillis, Dick Van Dyke,[/i] and [i]Get Smart[/i]. Oh, how I loved [i]Get Smart[/i]. It was weird being the only 9 year old around who knew Inspector Gadget and Maxwell Smart were the same person. Or, you know, knowing who Maxwell Smart is at all. I watched Bob Denver as Manard G. Crebbs before I saw him as Gilligan. It's weird, growing up watching TV shows that are at least 3 times older than you are.

Apparently i havent seen anyone say Wacky Races on this thread yet, but i watched all those good shows like Spiderman, Power Rangers, Looney Tunes, Full House, the occasional Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and a motley of other shows. Not to mention the Baseball games back in the day.

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Clearly anything by Hanna Barbara is the bomb. Scooby Doo, the Flintstones, the Jetsons and last but not least Huckleberry Finn. These cartoons where better than anything Disney could throw in my direction. I can vaugely remember He- Man and Conan. Transformers was big in the early 90's along with the Samuri Pizza Cats and the Biker Mice from Mars. You can't see anything that good on Free to Air in Australia these days. The only way to get most things is with cable or satellite TV but my dad's to stoogey to pay for it.[/color][/font]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Wow this has been a total blast from the past... I had forgotten about so many of these shows that i loved. Transformers, GI Joe, Danger Mouse, Tailspin, Smirfs, Rescue Rangers... The list goes on and on. I was even a Closet power rangers fan, since I didnt first see it till I was in 6th or 7th grade. I loved that Roundhouse show, and what about them Dukes of Hazard? how can you guys forget the [COLOR=DarkOrange]orange [/COLOR] car? That show is probly the main reason why I drive like i do... YEA-HA!!![/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]When I was younger I was really addicted to the [B]Gobots[/B] and [B]Transformers G1[/B] respectively, I used sit for hours and just watch the video tapes I had (pretty sad I know but I've not changed much in a decade). Transformers was a little mature for my brain at that stage and looking back I really only thought about how the Good Guys might finally beat the evil Bad Guys, Go-Bots was pretty similar but different in a lot of ways.

Other than those two I watched [B]The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers[/B] (damn that takes a few seconds to type), which was cool, to any young boy Martial Arts is pretty kick ***, that and the Giant Zords sealed the deal. Zordon (I think that's how his name was spelled) and that Robot who used to get panic attacks (his name escapes me). It was pretty cool and hasn't changed much in the last 8 years Ranger fght bad guy at their height and kill him, main bad guy uses magic/technology/whatever and brings fallen evildoer back in gigantic form forcing the Ranger to once again kill it using their MegaZords. Good times...

Alot of Hanna Barbera aired on Cartoon Network when I was younger [B]Jetsons, Flintstones, Yogi Bear[/B] (Smarter than the Average Bear, he used to crack me up though Boo-Boo was a little too quiet for my likings), [B]Scooby-Doo[/B] and most other stuff they produced was fun to watch as a kid.

Disney produced a fair bit of stuff as well, [B]Dark Wing Duck[/B] was great, I still have the pilot on video *hums theme song*, [B]Duck Tales[/B] was also good their nutty professor was funny in his own right, though he didn't come close to Uncle Scrooge McDuck (who is Donald's First cousin I believe). I think [B]Rescue Rangers[/B] was one of theirs as well wasn't it, good show the fat guy was funny, the fly was pretty annoying though.

[B]Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles[/B] was a true classic for it's time, and caused half the kids in my neighbourhood to decide they wanted to become ninjas. Donatello was the best by far in my opinion, he seemed to be the only one who's character had a lot of depth beyond simple Mad Scientist.

Other than cartoons I was a big fan of [B]Murder She Wrote[/B] (and still am), there was just something so cool about that show (though if I was anyone with any sense I'd steer well clear of her since murders always happen when she's around). The [B]A-Team[/B] was another show I'd watch passively (I never really got into it) though B.A.'s flying bits were damn funny "I hate flying". [B]Star Trek[/B] became a big passion though I never really liked [B]The Original Series[/B] since it was only on once a week and seemed fairly repeditive (the movies were much better). [B]The Next Generation[/B] was much better and really helped keep the Star Trek franchise afloat (Picard will always be the Enterprise's greatest Captain, but Data will be it's best character). Bah my fingers are starting to hurt so I'll finish this up...[/SIZE]

Though classics like Gundam Wing and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were just before my time of cultural indoctrination, I matured on a fairly steady dose of frentic violence (which was a remarkably good preparation for middle school, among other things). Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (first season ONLY), Spiderman, Digimon... The cheap merchandising wasn't a deterrent until about age six, when I realized that it was possible for a show to have a plot. I then promptly settled in to worship Batman in all of his stoic roles (Batman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justic Friends, etc.), and still have not gained a life to this very day.

When I was a kid, I use to watch Remi!!! It was a french animated series on an orphan boy, and my mom got my name from that episode...Remi...yeah its pretty old... (the series)

• 11 months later...
I watched LOOOOTS of shows as a kid. I watched many things, even things I didn't like too much. I was a complete TV junkie. The channels I mostly watched were PBS, Nick, Cartoon Network, and Discovery Channel.....I loved to get educated :P. I'd seen Thundercats, but I didn't really like it.

Lets see...these are the shows I liked when I was REALLY little, like around 4:
- Muppet Babies
- ....Barney x_x
- Sesame Street
- Speed Racer (although the only thing I can remeber about it now is the very end of the theme song "Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer gooooooooo! :p )
- other old cartoons e.g. Tom and Jerry, Buggs Bunny, etc.)
- Alegra's Window
- ....something about puppets in a castle...can't remember what it's called
- Wishbone
- anything else on the fore said channels

And then the shows as I got a bit older from around 6-8:
- Kenan and Kel
- All That
- other shows on Nick
- Dexter's Lab
- PowerPuff Girls
- other shows on CN

Then 8-10:
- Sailor Moon
- Pokemon
- Digimon
- Mon Cole Knight's
- some kid anime about dinosaurs...
- Flint the Time Detective

And there's way more but I'm to tired to remember x_x...