OtakuBoards

Elfen Lied

Dagger

Attension all users!!There is a new anime show{semi new} Called elfenlied!It is about a girl name Nyuu who as a kid [spoiler]was treated horibaly{Spelt it wrong}by her peers and other kids in general.[/spoiler]Why?because she is a diclonius.a diclonius is a genetically engineared hunem with horns growing out of the head and they are born with vectors.vectors are long invisable arms that can vibrate at such a speed that they can easily slice through things,including humens.[spoiler]Anyway because of kids harrasing her they pushed her to her limit.After a kid and his friends were calling her names she kicked one of them who was holding her pet puppy, he got mad and handed one of his friends her puppy and told him to beat the crap out of the dog.So her picked up the puppy and kicked.then he took a vase and began beating it after about 3 min of beating the puppy the puppy died of the injuries.Which is what pissed nyuu of.So nyuu used her vectors and killed the boys and everyone else in the room{the boys and herself were 8}And because of her murdering she found that humens can be VERY cruel.so she killed anyone who pissed her off.[/spoiler]After about 50 murders the police caught her and put her in a high security chamber which she ventually broke out of killing all the gaurds.and right befor she escaped one of the shooters aimed at her neck with a 50 caliber and just when he pulled the triger she turned her ead taking a huge blow to the head thuss giving her a split personality.So she is washed up on the shore and finds herself at the feet of Kohta [spoiler]her 8 year old crush but niether Nyuu nor Kohta remember one another.But they are still in love.[/spoiler]But now whenever Nyuu takes a hit to the head,her personality switches to Lucy, the humen killing machine.So Nyuu is the good side and lucy is the bad.[spoiler]But not even lucy's hate towrds humen can stand to kill Kohta,for both Nyuu AND lucy are in love with him.[/spoiler]
{WARNING}
This show contains some nudity and a LOT of gore!!
But nontheless is a very good show!Try to get the chance to watch it i KNOW ou will enjoy it!If you would like to see a clip of the show{Musi clip sorta} then go to the ver top bar{the one where you type all your ebsites in google myspace ect} and type in Myotaku.com then find a bar that has a search thing next to it.In the bar tpye in Death~angel and watch the clips.^^Please start watching these clips and movies,the more people watch it,the more popular it will become!
THANKS! :catgirl:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well um yeah... g'day... this is pretty much my first post, on here anyways... (so yay for me! :catgirl: p.s. why doesn't this forum have an introduction thread?? :animesigh )

well i got elfen lied on a whim, only after seeing the trailor on ADV's website and also hearing about it from a mate of mine. it was one of the few anime series that i ordered from the states (g'day from australia), mainly cos i didn't want to wait forever to get the local release (the last volume of elfen lied doesn't come out til febuary here in australia, how sucky is that), i am glad i did, since after seeing it all, elfen lied has become my favourite anime series so far (it knocked eva off it's high horse finally). i do however get the impression that elfen lied is the first work of a fledgling director, since there are a few minor animation quirks that stand out.

elfen lied (for anyone who hasn't seen it) can be best described as a story of love in spite of harsh adversity. where, despite the cruelty of a person's soul, that person can still be loved, even by those that they have hurt. it is a story of devotion in spite of malice, of hope in spite of cruelty. it is a refreshing tale, that encompasses unsympathetic carnage, with a beautifull story of humanity's spirit to overcome the harshness of reality and find peace amongst this turbulent world.

all i can say to anyone thinking of watching this series is, please please please, watch past the first disc... the worst part of elfen lied, is that the first disc has none of the touching aspects i speak of in it, and the last episode on it is so morbid it isn't funny... and 9 times out of 10, people who give elfen lied a bad review, only watched the first disc and take everything on face value... even i didn't really like it that much after the first disc, but once i watched the second disc, and i saw the sadness that the characters portray (especially lucy) i stuck with it, and wasn't disapointed..

i first watched elfen lied by a fried's recomendation. i first few min got me very disrurbed...i dont really know why i like it so much, its a strange anime, but i like it.
i guess its because those ppl deserved what they got from Nyu or Lucy. :animestun
they shouldnt hav been so mean to her :animeangr

• 1 month later...
I just finished watching an Anime series called "Elfen Lied". It's thirteen episodes long, and made me cry like a baby. I really liked it and recomend it to anyone who isn't squeamish. It's kinda a love story... But you won't understand that until the very end. The director writes much the same. "What I thought, while reading the comic, was that this was a love story, and I could make it so that it would bring veiwers to tears." - Mamoru Kanbe
He was right. I got eyeliner all over my t-shirt.

I was wondering if anyone else had seen it, and what they thought.

[color=navy][size=1]I merged your thread with the pre-existing Elfen Lied topic. Have fun discussing it!

- Dagger[/size][/color]

• 4 months later...
Elfen Lied was one of the first anime series that I watched (it was after Last Exile and Hellsing), and I think that it was this series, more than anything, that has gotten me addicted to anime. The psychological aspect of it, the dread, the despair, the excelelnt characters, and the gloomy background music all added up to create an amazing, if not horrifiying, animated story.

Good thing that I didn't eat lunch when I saw the first episode, or episode four. That one actually made me pause the show, and take a breather in the bathroom. I [I]litteraly[/I] almost fainted, and this is coming from a guy who on his first time through watching the D-Day invasion as depicted on Saving Private Ryan didn't even flinch.

Darn, so there already WAS a thread made on this...I'm glad I didn't make one and make myself look like an idiot. ><

Anyway, when I first heard of Elfen Lied from my net-friend, and saw screencaps of it, I was immediately turned off. Full-frontal nudity and puke-tastic gore? What on earth is this child being allowed to watch?! (She was ten at the time) It wasn't until about two years later that I would pull up an episode on YouTube to watch out of sheer boredom (or some other site...I think...), ans I was immediately hooked. For the next week or two, I would make a ritual to watcn at least three episodes a day (which would mean I'd finish it pretty fast, given that there are thirteen episodes and one OVA). I absoltuely bawled at the last episode, not because [spoiler]it isn't made sure if Lucy lived through the barrage of bullets or not[/spoiler] but because [spoiler]Kurama and Mariko died in that explosion[/spoiler]. I hadn't cried due to an anime event since [spoiler]Hughes' funeral[/spoiler] in FMA, which was about a year earlier.

...Woah, I used three spoiler tags in a row. XD -points out the obvious-

Anyway, I wholeheartedly love this series, and the OVA was good as well, it was able to patch some misunderstandings with Lucy's past. The first bit was funny as well. XD

I thought I would be turned off by the gore, but, after getting through the fabled first seven and a half minutes, the gore became second nature and inevitable. And the nudity is actually tastefully and artstically done, though that could be argued with the case of Lucy/Nyuu.

Alright, I'm done rambling, so I'll go now. XD

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bells
[My friend told me about Elfen Lied a while back. When I looked it up on youtube it made me laugh because it was in japanese and it seemed as though it was made of of excessive nudity and pointless explosion of limbs.

[quote name='Bells'][My friend told me about Elfen Lied a while back. When I looked it up on youtube it made me laugh because it was in japanese and it seemed as though it was made of of excessive nudity and pointless explosion of limbs.[/quote]
[color=darkorchid][size=1][font=arial]... :animesigh

That's a very shallow way of looking at it, you know.

Elfen Lied goes a lot deeper than "excessive nudity and pointless explosion of limbs". The anime goes deep into psychological abuse, and some of the moments are so sad they'll make you cry.

Seriously, if you get past the first seven and a half minutes of episode one, the violence actually dies down from there, save for some events in episode four.

And when you say "It was in Japanese"...duh? Unless you meant it had no subtitles.[/color][/font][/size]

I have to say this series was great. I finished it only a few days ago( Yes I did a Rurouni's Anime Power Hour x.x) and I have to say this is one of my favorites.

The violence did die down after episode one but came back around ep 10. The way the artist draws the characters makes them look so cute but dangerous. Out of all the character I'd have to say Nana is my favorite just because of the way she acts. The series also has some very humorous moments.

Now, let's talk about the OAV. If you watched it closely it was majorly about Nana trying to work better with "Lucy-san" or in this case Nyuu. The OAV is pretty humurous at the beginning. By the end you even learn a little more abou tLucy's past :3

• 2 months later...
Guest Aramath
It seems that everyone here is fixated on the storyline and the nature of the graphics of this series. Unfortunately, the anime does not follow well with the manga, leaving a lot of the manga fans feeling like they were betrayed. However, what truly makes this anime a good one is the stunning artwork. I have watched more than a few animes and the detail that went into almost every single character, as well as the background, is top notch. The story, for those that have not read the manga, is different than your average anime but still has strong attachments to other ecchi, hentai, and monster/demon based animes, but with some serious personality disorders thrown into almost every character.

I actually started watching this after a friend of mine got the first DVD, and I enjoyed it so much that I went ahead and got the rest of the episodes in its original japanese audio, plus the special OVA episode. (Episode 10.5) What I really loved about the series was the way the atmosphere could instantly change to something else. For instance, when Nyu becomes Lucy and vice versa. I also liked the character designs, their personalities contrasted quite well with each other. But what I loved most was the dark story behind it, which is what I always look for in anime or TV shows, a strong plot. Until I was able to see the later episodes, it kept me guessing about what was going on and how it would turn out. Put aside the brutal violence sometimes and you get a very well thought out series, I think so anyway.

It's also worth seeing the OVA episode, it's theme is slightly different from the series itself, since it focuses more on comedy and ecchi than anything else. Some of the antics they get themselves into are incredibly funny. :animesmil

Elfen Lied was an anime I got addicted to even before I had seen the actual series! (read: Elfen Lied AMVs)

I think I have a lot in common with Lucy, except that I can`t rip apart the people that annoy or hurt me (I really wish I could do that :devil: )

But I really hate the way they ended the anime! They really could have done a better work with that.

I can`t even get the manga from anywhere (the last site I tried got me 3 viruses, and that was during the rare occasions when it DID download).

Does anyone know where I can get the translated mangas SAFELY?

• 4 weeks later...
I love this anime! The music box really attracted me most. It's story is really nice. A lot of ripping apart but its not all that gore... ITs kind of drama with gore that i really like so much ! Nyuu-chan! Nana-chan! Mariko-chan =)! and the other diclnius that [spoiler]infected Kurama[/spoiler]... Yeah! ITs so nice... I saw the pics and got so interested in watching them... I wish there could be a movie just to finish it...

Anyway.. the ending is quite suspenseful.... She [spoiler]lost her vectors right? due to her ear disability which controls that of female vectors[/spoiler]? :animeblus

[indent][size=1][color=#007520]I added spoiler tags to your post dranixe. Don't ruin it for people who haven't seen it yet, hide the spoilers behind the appropriate tags. Read more about spoilers [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55649]here[/url]. -r2[/color][/size][/indent]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I just saw [B]Elfen Lied [/B] this last weekend and it was amazing. I loved the darkness of it all... cinsider me vicarious if you wish, but I love to watch tales of sorrow (not sadistically, but with sorrow behind mmy own eyes as well.)

One of my favorite things about this anime was the excessive nudity, and I know that sounds perverted, and it is (very) perverted, but I have another reason. for one, I like to see nudity in anime when no one is having sex. i like nudity -- I don't like sex, so this was all really cool for me.

Plus, there was a LOT of blood. That's always nice, and the part at the beginning where she kills [spoiler]the receptionist[/spoiler] was wicked-awesome.

Also, never have I seen so much delimbing in one anime XD

But I haven't even gotten to my favorite thing about Elfen Lied:

It was SOOOO cute! All the diclonius were so adorable!!! And whenever Nana and (cant remember little girls name) were talking with their squeeky voices I was ready to scream 'KAWAI!'

Plus, it had what I would to be the [spoiler][B]end-all creepiest incestual relationship ever[/B][/spoiler]. I was loving it.[/COLOR]

If you liked Elfen Lied's mixture of psychotic violence and cuteness, you're in luck--more and more series nowadays seem to have that kind of theme. It's not licensed yet, but [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6134][u]Higurashi no Naku Koro ni[/u][/url] definitely falls into this category. If you ever get to check it out, I'd be interested in seeing your thoughts on it.

~Dagger~

[font=Times]I finally checked this series out. I've known of its existance for ages, but I didn't decide to actually obtain it, until some random guy I occasionally play video games with told me I should watch it. Seriously, I went on line a few days later, ordered the boxset, and started watching. >_>

I thought it was rather epic. The murdering could become rather catoonish at times (seriously - how many people's torsos magically flew off with a shower of red Kool-Aid?). But many times the brutality, with which people died, genuinely surprised me.

I'd actually sit up like "wow" because I didn't expect that person to die so suddenly. I'm never terribly impressed at such things in anime, this is sort of a first (except DragonBall Z deaths... Why Kuririn?). A lot of moments that caught me unaware, which is another first for me.

[SPOILER]Nyuu breaking the shell surpised me, it was so sudden and mean I was impressed.

Second would have to be Super Kill Guy versus Lucy in the beginning episodes, when she catches him off-guard by by simply using a gun on him - wtf? Everything with Nana was rather eyebrow destroying as well. I didn't expect her to have longer vectors (which did nothing for her), didn't expect her to get ripped apart so easily either.

I didn't really enjoy that, seeing as how she's the only character I really like in the series. Basically seeing her be completely stomped in her every single appearance (even Kouta pimp slapped her - what?), was somewhat disheartening for me, since I liked her so much.

That girl, Maya (?), being molested by her step dad completely threw me off as well, and how callous her mother was about the whole thing. The scene where her dog pal's owner walks up and snatches the dog back made me go "wow" outloud. Such blunt moments of harshity (ahahaa), were a fresh change of pace for me.

The blatant incest between cousins? Threw me off as well. I was left pondering why the girl was so openly into Kouta (they kissed? Wow), aren't they blood relation?

That lab asistant was one of the most amusing characters for me. It disturbed me to no end, how she griped about needing a shower, and how her period was approaching in every scene she appeared in (hygiene). So wrong, but entertaining. I was feeling really bad when she got shot, since I liked her, but it made me feel better to know she was spared.

Number 35 jovially murdering the only voice she had known up until her release made me chuckle, that was one of the few deaths I expected. When the girl - who by this point was a bleeding torso - mustered up the strength to press the detonator button to destroy one of her limbs, I actually started clapping. I was so surpised a torso could be that hardcore. She made my day.

The entire scene between Kurama and his wife/babygirl in the hospital got to me slightly, his wife mustering up the strength to make it to their daughter's crib whilst bleeding all over the floor, widened my eyes.

LUCY - I never really felt like I should pity her, the only moment I actually felt bad for her was when those boys grabbed her doggy pal and...brutalized it. Even then, I only felt bad for the dog, that was probably the only moment in the series that was actually difficult for me.

The scene in the subway messed me up as well, just seeing Kouta's little sister be torn in two was disturbing.

The end? The profile at the door clearly resembled Lucy, but I don't really care. Didn't she WANT to die though? Why would she return?[/SPOILER]

I have a whole lot to prattle on about, but I'm pretty sure that spoiler block is entirely too massive as is... But generally, Elfen messed with my head more than any anime has, since the End of Evangelion movie.

I almost forgot. One of my favorite things about Elfen Lied, is the opening. I love it.[/font]

[QUOTE=Kaze][font=Times][SPOILER]
I didn't really enjoy that, seeing as how she's the only character I really like in the series. Basically seeing her be completely stomped in her every single appearance (even Kouta pimp slapped her - what?), was somewhat disheartening for me, since I liked her so much.[/spoiler][/font][/quote]
Oh, I totally agree. I also found Nana to be an immensely loveable character. The first time I saw the series, I remember being incredibly pissed off at [spoiler]Kouta for slapping her (not to mention at Lucy for dismembering her).[/spoiler]

[quote name='Kaze][font=Times][SPOILER]The blatant incest between cousins? Threw me off as well. I was left pondering why the girl was so openly into Kouta (they kissed? Wow), aren't they blood relation?[/spoiler'][/font][/quote]
The taboo about [spoiler]relationships between cousins[/spoiler] is not nearly as strong in Asian countries as it is in some Western areas. Granted, I'm not too well versed in the cultural details of this, but at the least, I'm pretty sure that it's not a strong taboo in Japan. As a side note, there are quite a few anime and manga in which [spoiler]cousins[/spoiler] have a romantic interest (either one-sided or reciprocal) in one another.

[quote name='Kaze][font=Times][SPOILER]The end? The profile at the door clearly resembled Lucy, but I don't really care. Didn't she WANT to die though? Why would she return?[/SPOILER'][/font][/quote]
It's also possible that [spoiler]the profile at the door was basically an illusion--a memory surfacing for a brief second, only to fade away.[/spoiler] That's the view I adhere to, since nothing else really makes sense in the context of the series. I think the manga plays out differently, though, since there's more of it. In the manga version of the scene, [spoiler]the person behind the door is apparently Nyuu...[/spoiler] but don't quote me on that, actually, since pretty much everything I know about the manga came to me second-hand. I was satisfied with the ending of the anime--mainly because [spoiler]Mariko's[/spoiler] storyline was wrapped up and [spoiler]Nana got a happy ending.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger] I think the manga plays out differently, though, since there's more of it. In the manga version of the scene, [spoiler]the person behind the door is apparently Nyuu...[/spoiler] but don't quote me on that, actually, since pretty much everything I know about the manga came to me second-hand. I was satisfied with the ending of the anime--mainly because [spoiler]Mariko's[/spoiler] storyline was wrapped up and [spoiler]Nana got a happy ending.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Th manga is definitely different. I've been reading it so far. The thing about the manga however is the fact that by the point they reached in the manga [spoiler]Lucy does not go to face the troops like in the anime and Mariko is not killed by a bomb, but rather by Lucy[/spoiler]. The other thing that the manga makes out is that once [spoiler] Lucy loses both her horns she reverts back to her Nyuu state on an almost permanent basis[/spoiler]. I'm still only half way through the manga as of the moment so I'm views are only what I've read. The other thing that should be noted about the manga is that the director [spoiler] does not want Lucy dead but rather they want to capture her so as to use her to change the world[/spoiler].

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Dagger]Oh, I totally agree. I also found Nana to be an immensely loveable character. The first time I saw the series, I remember being incredibly pissed off at [spoiler']Kouta for slapping her (not to mention at Lucy for dismembering her).[/spoiler][/quote]

[font=Times][spoiler]I wonder about how much restraint she could possibly have, I mean here she is, in the throes of rage; and some guy walks over and slaps her? And she doesn't ruin him. She just runs off, that's something else that bothered me about the scene. I know she was pretty much trained to never harm humans, but it seemed like she'd at least think about fighting him too, since she was already upset and ready to kill.[/spoiler][/font]

[quote]The taboo about [spoiler]relationships between cousins[/spoiler] is not nearly as strong in Asian countries as it is in some Western areas. Granted, I'm not too well versed in the cultural details of this, but at the least, I'm pretty sure that it's not a strong taboo in Japan. As a side note, there are quite a few anime and manga in which [spoiler]cousins[/spoiler] have a romantic interest (either one-sided or reciprocal) in one another. [/quote]

[font=Times]I figured it was something to that affect. Thanks for clarifying somewhat.[/font]

[quote]It's also possible that [spoiler]the profile at the door was basically an illusion--a memory surfacing for a brief second, only to fade away.[/spoiler] That's the view I adhere to, since nothing else really makes sense in the context of the series. I think the manga plays out differently, though, since there's more of it. In the manga version of the scene, [spoiler]the person behind the door is apparently Nyuu...[/spoiler] but don't quote me on that, actually, since pretty much everything I know about the manga came to me second-hand. I was satisfied with the ending of the anime--mainly because [spoiler]Mariko's[/spoiler] storyline was wrapped up and [spoiler]Nana got a happy ending.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[font=Times]I'll have to agree with you, since as I said before, Nana is perhaps my favorite character from Elfen as well. [/font]

• 11 months later...
[FONT="Courier New"]Yes, I know, this thread is almost a whole year old. However, I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of the latest anime; my two prime sources for anime are Adult Swim and Anime Network on Demand (I want to know, by the way, why I get On Demand but not the channel itself). I just finished watching Elfen Lied over the course of 13 weeks (13 [I]long[/I] weeks of pained expectation) and saw the OVA on the internet.

Now, I have to say I was really wowed by this show. The opening was absolutely beautiful (I've had it stuck in my head since I first heard it. No, seriously, can someone help stop humming it all the time?) and the ending song (to me, at least, though I haven't found anyone who shares my opinion) is so cheery in comparison to the darker themes in the show that it is almost blackly humorous (or at least very ironic). I really became attached to the characters (lukewarm to Yuka, pity towards Kouta, and real empathy towards the Diclonius, particularly Lucy). The opening was a little off-putting, the fan-service was very unnecessary, and the cuteness could have been toned down a little to put more emphasis on the dark color of the show, but overall I really liked it (the end made my eyes water up, even, and that virtually never happens to me)

So what a shock it was to me, then, when I started looking up reviews for the show (when a show I like ends, I go into denial mode and start looking up everything I can about it to delay the realization that it's over.) and found mostly lukewarm or even negative reviews. I read them, thinking, "These people must be crazy," but it turns out that there are quite a few good points to them. So here I am, a little depressed, searching for justification of my emotional investment in the series. Thus, I come to the point of the post: I want to ask everyone who's seen the show what they think of these two reviews, and hopefully tell me why their wrong (I haven't put enough space between watching the show and analyzing it to be very objective yet).

Here are the websites:

[url]http://www.geocities.com/pheldies_place/reviews/ElfenLied.html[/url]
[url]http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=591[/url]

(and I'm serious about the problem I'm having with the opening: I've had it stuck in my brain for 13 weeks!)
[/FONT]

• 1 year later...
I have to say, Elfen lied is very good. Elfen lied has managed to balance fan service, over the top gore, and large amounts of nudity and added it all to an amazing storyline with great characters and good art.

one thing is that if elfen lied took out either the nudity the gore or the fan service this show prbably would have gone completely wrong because it gives you stomach churning gore and a dramatic storyline but gives you fan service to balance things. ALSO the nudity isn't shown in a way to be sexy either in my view. this show has been a long time favourite for me.

this is all my opinion BTW.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...