OtakuBoards

Fruits Basket?

Xander Harris

While looking at manga in Barnes and noble today, I say something that looks kinda cool called 'Fruits Basket'. I actually have never bought manga before, just anime, but this one looked kinda fun, because it says on the back that it is an unusual mix of humor and sci-fi/fantasy and a little romance and such. Sounds funny. Also, I saw the anime of this mentioned on Deathbug's website, and he is cool :cool: I could use a good laugh. I decided not to buy it, though, until I knew more about it.

I also didn't buy it because I couldn't tell if it was intended for girls or not. I wouldn't want to buy something and then find out it was a girl's comic, and feel my manhood slipping away ;) .

So anyhow, has anyone else read this series? Is it any good? Would it be worth my money or not? Is it for girls? Inform me!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=navy]Fruits Basket eh? I haven't read the manga, but I've seen the anime.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080]I don't really think it's just for girls, it doesn't really seem that way to me, but I'm a girl anyway so I dunno.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=navy]This info is based off the anime, but there's the main character, a girl named Tohru, and her mother died and stuff so she stays in a forest. Then one day she meets another family that live there and they're cursed. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080]There's lots of humour, the romance is between just a few characters mainly and the sci-fi/fantasy is that the cursed family turn into the animals of the Chinese Zodiac, and the cat.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080]Maybe someone that's read the manga has better information but this is the best I can give from my stand point. But personally I think its good.[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Ohkami][font=Verdana][size=2][color=navy]Fruits Basket eh? I haven't read the manga, but I've seen the anime.[/color][/size][/font]

There's lots of humour, the romance is between just a few characters mainly and the sci-fi/fantasy is that the cursed family turn into the animals of the Chinese Zodiac, and the cat.[/Quote]

That sounds right up my alley. Lots of humour, a bit of romance, and some really weird sci-fi/fantasy thing. :D That's sort of what I thought it was, and why I was interested, but I wasn't sure. I think I'll pick up a book or two of it the next time I have some money and am in a book store. Thanks for the response!

Anyone else want to chime in about the Fruits Basket manga?

[size=1]I own the Furuba manga!

*cough*

Sorry, obssessed fan rant over with. Yeah, its comedy, a touch of romance, and.. more comedy. lmao The main character, Tohru Honda, is an orphen, and she goes to live with Yuki Sohma and his cousin, Shigure Sohma... Shigure, is a total lech/perv, but he's funny.

THere is competition between Yuki and another of the Sohma's, Kyo, because in teh Zodiac legend, the rat tricks the cat, and so the cat doesn't become part of the zodiac. The secret of the Sohma's is each one is cursed by the Zodiac, and everytime one gets hugged by the opposite gender... they turn into that animal.SO, Yuki is a rat, Kyo a cat, and Shigure... guess!

Okay, I'll shut up. You should read it for yourself. And its funny, and kinda a girl manga, but its good.[/size]

Guest Pale Rose
[COLOR=Purple]Fruits Basket is for everyone and is absolutly hilarious. I just started reading it and i can't stop! Give it a try you will love it too.[/COLOR] :laugh: [QUOTE=Xander Harris]While looking at manga in Barnes and noble today, I say something that looks kinda cool called 'Fruits Basket'. I actually have never bought manga before, just anime, but this one looked kinda fun, because it says on the back that it is an unusual mix of humor and sci-fi/fantasy and a little romance and such. Sounds funny. Also, I saw the anime of this mentioned on Deathbug's website, and he is cool :cool: I could use a good laugh. I decided not to buy it, though, until I knew more about it.

I also didn't buy it because I couldn't tell if it was intended for girls or not. I wouldn't want to buy something and then find out it was a girl's comic, and feel my manhood slipping away ;) .

So anyhow, has anyone else read this series? Is it any good? Would it be worth my money or not? Is it for girls? Inform me![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Xander Harris']So anyhow, has anyone else read this series? Is it any good? Would it be worth my money or not?[/quote]
Be warned that Fruits Basket is a very long manga, and it still hasn't finished running in Japan. So if you get hooked on the series, it may end up being quite an investment. I'd recommend watching the anime first, because the new box set can be bought pretty cheaply (and also because it's just a great show in general). Though it only covers part of the manga, the anime follows that portion pretty closely.

Fruits Basket is also very cute, despite the fact that it does contain darker elements. If you like getting that warm and fuzzy feeling, then this is the manga for you.

[quote][i]Is it for girls?[/i][/QUOTE]
Yes, definitely. That's not to say guys can't enjoy it too... ^_^

~Dagger~

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]While I don't usually read or buy pop-manga/anime, I did read this. I would highly suggest it too.

It takes a lot for me to go out and blow 120$ at once and I did this when I bought the anime after reading the manga (or what's available here, that is.)

It's incredibly funny, dark, and sweet all at once. And is easily one of my favorites.

I wouldn't say that it's strictly a "girl's" manga, as it's nothing like some of the others I've read. Anyways, if I can enjoy reading boy's manga, then what's keeping guys from doing the same only vice-versa?

I would definately read through it if not buy it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
fruits basket is a chinese zodiac based manga its really funny and usually im really picky about the manga i read there are some people couldent pay me to go remotly close to like fake arrrrrrg!!!!!
annywho.....its really good id highly recomend it to read or to watch.
besides whats the harm in reading something youve never read befour?????

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Navy]in my opinion i think Fruits Basket rocks. i think it's hilarious but then again i laugh a lot. . .but it does have a dark side like Dagger [X] said- especially towards the end of the anime series, but i think it's really cute. yea, a lot of girls like it, but i can see a guy liking it too- i mean it's not Sailor Moon. since i saw the anime, i'm a believer.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Xander Harris]While looking at manga in Barnes and noble today, I say something that looks kinda cool called 'Fruits Basket'. I actually have never bought manga before, just anime, but this one looked kinda fun, because it says on the back that it is an unusual mix of humor and sci-fi/fantasy and a little romance and such. Sounds funny. Also, I saw the anime of this mentioned on Deathbug's website, and he is cool :cool: I could use a good laugh. I decided not to buy it, though, until I knew more about it.

So anyhow, has anyone else read this series? Is it any good? Would it be worth my money or not? Is it for girls? Inform me![/QUOTE]

Like Ohkami, i haven't read the manga but i recently began watching the anime, and although a couple thing kinda annoyed me in the first episode im hooked on the series now. It has a very unique premise and very likable characters. Once i finish watching the series i definately intend to buy the manga.

[QUOTE=Xander Harris]
I also didn't buy it because I couldn't tell if it was intended for girls or not. I wouldn't want to buy something and then find out it was a girl's comic, and feel my manhood slipping away ;) .![/QUOTE]

Being a guy myself i definately know how you feel. I buy all sorts of animes and mangas including romance/comedies, when i first started buying the Love Hina mangas at a local Kinokuniya (a japanese book store near where i live) the clerk there kinda gave me a funny look. but i buy from them so often now that they know me as a regular there and even greet me by my first name. And i honestly don't think theres shame in something like that, everyone has their own interests and hobbies so who's right is it to judge you just because yours is a little different? and who cares if someone judges you for it anyway?

The Fruits Basket manga explains things better the the Anime.
As the Fruits Basket manga is still ongoing, the Anime ended with 26 Episodes. I think much more things from the Manga could be explained in the Anime. Some Zodiac characters were completely left out :animecry:

Anyway, It's a great manga ^^ It has comedy, Romance, action and alot of weirdness :animeswea

Guest Bunny36
I love this manga despite only having read the first one, the way the artist draws the hair is beautiful. It's also extremely funny and has a seriously fuzzy warm feeling to it without being overly sickly.
Okay yeah it's girly but it's worth the read if the first one's anything to go buy. Now I just have to save up for the rest :animeswea

Tedious Rambilngs: Having encountered both, I'd have to reccomend the series itself, but in anime form, English dub version. Now, before I'm shot for praising a dub, I'd like to say in my defense that it's done in a style much like Yuu Yuu Hakusho, and much of the same voice cast is involved. What I saw (of both series, acutally) in English was vastly funnier than what I saw in Japanese. That editorial aside, the main reason I preferred the anime (aside from the super-hilarious dub) is that the art was so much more tolerable, at least for me. If you're not really concerned with that, however, you'll probably enjoy it quite a bit. I am a girl, much to my perpetual dissappointment, but I feel that the series is grounded enough in its subtle and infectuous humour that even sweeping romantic and emotional themes can't dampen its appeal to both genders. (That applies to both manga and show.)

Summary: It's hilarious and apprecably gender-neutral. I'd reccomend it.

Disclaimer: All of my comments about the manga were based on the version I 'read' (I'm barely literate) in Chinese, so I can't claim an overwhelming amount of certainty about anything except that I disliked the art. Immensely.

Yes, Furuba is DEFINATLY a good manga. I's very funny, and it isn't Very mushy romance. It is really a manga made for girls, but all my guy friends who like manga also really like it. The anime is also very well done, But is a lot different from the manga. The order of the evernts is changed, and the manga is a lot deeper than the anime. And not to mention that only the first season is out in anime.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest matsu08
I love Fruits Basket. Its a great manga and anime though im not finished it. I can't wait till i get the rest of the mangas :catgirl:

Hm, I'm pretty sure that this is my first post in this forum. I don't really read too much manga lol. Fruits Basket is the only manga I've been keeping up with at all, and I'm not even buying it myself. I've been mooching off my sister to read it, haha.

My sister started reading the series a while ago...I think around June or July, something like that. I remember buying her the first Fruits Basket DVD for her birthday, because she had the first three or four volumes of the series (don't remember if she had the fourth volume at the time) and she seemed to enjoy them quite a bit. Eventually I watched the DVD with her, and I liked it a lot.

My sister then goaded me into reading the manga a few months after; I would have read it sooner, but I was making a lot of preparations for school and then when school actually started I was pretty busy. But I took the manga to school to read in between classes, and I liked them very, very much.

Since then, my sister has completely caught up to volume seven and we're both awaiting the release of the eighth volume of the series. The manga keeps the same lighthearted feel as the anime (it's very funny and cute enough to even affect me, which is akin to a small miracle), but the emotion seems more impactful to me. Does anyone else feel that way? I'll admit that I haven't seen all of the anime, though.

I like just about all of the characters, but I think that my favorite character is Hatori. He presents a nice contrast to the eccentric antics of the other characters, haha. Also, I see him as kind of like Kif from Futurama - I can always imagine Hatori groaning in exasperation at the antics of Shigure and Ayame, haha. Of all the characters, he's probably the most similar to myself, I think.

Anyway, Fruits Basket is great, and I'd encourage anyone to give it a try - just be prepared to shell out quite a bit of money for the whole series, since it's going to be pretty damn long, as Dagger said.

If you haven't decided yet I too would recomend getting this anime series. It is primarily for girls but it's definalty fun for guys too. As other's have said it's funny, has a bit of romance, a werid sci-fi twist where there are characters who are cursed. Every time they are hugged by the opposite sex or their body is weak *like from being really sick* they transform into different animals from the chinese zodiac. It's the type of series that just draws you in. Plus it has good english dubbing as well.
This series is cute, funny, and downright loveable. In fact I've used it to introduce people to anime in general and so far everyone I've shown it to have loved it. I definalty recommend it.

Guest shadowsoul81
It bought it and i really liked it . It kinda makes wants to keep reading the book into you finish it.I brought the first 2 volumes to my friends and they liked it.They also thought about buying the other volumes.

Fruits Basket yeah i have read that i really wouldn't call it just for girls even though i am a girl but my boyfriend anda few other boys in my school who read and they pretty much like it and anyway i have only seen a few of the anime but it is a good anime and manga. It pretty much goes with the chinese zodiac :catgirl:

Well, I bought volume one.

The good: Great humor, well developed characters, and an extremely likeable protagonist. I especially enjoyed all the little side comments and notes that the creator includes in the panels. I was able to share this with my little sister in junior high, and she read it 3 times in a period of 24 hours she loved it so much.

The bad: w/o color it is really hard to tell some of the characters apart just from the art. Also, some panels are really confusing.

I think I would like to buy some more of this some time, when I have money again. Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! You sold me. :animesmil

• 4 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]Your manhood is not slipping away...
I am in 8th grade and have lent my entire series(up to # 8 in the US) to two of my guy friends in 7th grade.They loved them.I loved them too.They made me laugh,cry and want to learn to draw better.

And I just love all the charries.Takaya Natsuki does a very nice job.

Enjoy.[/SIZE]