OtakuBoards

Fruits Basket?

Xander Harris

I've read part of the manga series, is much more sad to read about it I mean watching it stirrs up emotions but to actually get an opinion before you watch the dvd is better. I stil can't believe Akito, that man is evil, poor Hatori, Yuki and Kisa, haven't they suffered enough?!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Fruits Basket! I can't wait until volume 9 comes out in about a month...!

My favorite character is Hatsuharu! (I'm a lot like him! *laughs*)

Outta' curiosity, who do you guys think Tohru should end up with? Kyo or Yuki? I think Yuki, but I wouldn't mind if Kyo and Tohru hooked up either :catgirl: .

Well I know [spoiler]she somewhat ends with Kyo after his transformation but I really wanted her to end up with Prince Yuki[/spoiler] I mean they could make a cute couple and they are both nice unlike Kyo and his temper.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added spoiler tags. Please be wary of what you could be revealing to people who've not yet finished reading the manga. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

hai, i love furuba. love both the anime and manga. i cant wait to see when there gonna do the 2nd season or ova thing for it. i heard that there gonna do it. dont offically know though.

• 4 weeks later...
i have never read fruits basket , but i have heard of many bois who read it. my sister also reads it and luvs it.
i have not read it but i work at barns and noble and i have seen many boys looking at fruits basket. i dont think that it is for girls because i read many mangas that apper to be boy's mangas. :catgirl:

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Please don't double-post in future- if there's soething you want to add or alter in your first post, use the 'Edit' button located underneath it. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

When I buy manga I don't even look to see if it is a Shonen label or a Shojo. I pick it up and read the back and maybe the first chapter and if I like it, I buy it. Fruits Basket is a Shojo manga, but personally, I don't think boys would find it girly or anything. I think it is mostly a comedy manga that anyone can read. I think it is considered Shojo because of...well...i guess you could say people turning into animals when hugged is "girly". But I read lots of Shonen manga and I'm a girl...example: Naruto. I don't buy manga if it is Shonen or Shojo I buy manga if it is a good story. Fruits Basket is a good story. And it is not all comedy, it is very much a romance as well.
Each character has a very well developed and original personailty. Each character is unique and different in their own ways. Tohru is always happy, Yuki is mysterious, Kyou is angry and short-tempered, Shigure is kind and perverted.
This manga may appeal more to girls than to boys but I would love to see more boys reading this manga. Most boys think "That's a Shojo manga, I can't read that." Yes, you can. Who's stopping you? All you're doing is missing out on a great story.
So please, don't look at Fruits Basket as being a 'girly' manga because boys will enjoy it just as much.

I have vol.1 somewhere burried under artwork and other stuff that is my disaster of a studio/bedroom, I haven't even read the whole thing yet lol. I'm gonna have to read it over...that is if I can find it...I need to get this stuff organized. Oh, yay.

I have seen the anime.....Its a great show, but it all depends on what kind of anime you watch and how open you are to it. I have to say it is a bit girly but your right about it being funny....I guess i can say its not too girly because even my brothers watch it with me....so i would say boncider buying it, i think you will enjoy it.

I am the first to attest to the fact that fruits basket is loved by both male and female.

LOL...it coudln't be the #1 selling manga in japan and the states if only the girls were reading it.

I know several of my online guy-friends that love the series..and my brother can't put the manga down.

The manga is slightly different from the anime...in the sense that it is continueing where the other left off.

I am collecting it religiously and am currently up to volume 9 waiting anxiously for volume 10.

I don't think whether something is shoujo or shoujin means anything. inuyasha is supposely a guy manga but I really enjoy it. in fact, most of my manga collections consists of "guy mangas".

Guest Banzai
[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Fruits Basket is a shojo manga (meaning girls) but, I know a lot of guys that read watch fruits basket. It's an excellent manga. It has deep story lines a detaled characters. There is some action. Not a lot though. I would say, buy it. It really is excellent.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
I think Furuba is a great manga. The story is great. I barely know any guys that like it. The only guy I know of, is my brother. There are some forums, that I'm a member of, that has 600 members. They are all girls, and 90% of them like Furuba. I didn't know so many guys were interested in Furuba. That's so cool.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I love Furuba!!!!!! :love: one of my friends and his sister have a whole lot of relly kool stuff his sister dressed as ou-chan for an anime conv. it was kool .i think that that wether it is shojo or shonen relly dosent matter i could wach it over and over again and read it over 2. I LOVE AYAME(hes so cute)
PS anime is my only soft side[/COLOR]

I'm only into the third book, but I love it! It's great. I guess you could say that it was for girls. I myself am know im love with the story and cant get enough. Everytime you read a book you get deeper and deeper, it's great. You should defiantly buy or keep reading this one!

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkOrchid] ^_^ Well, I think that Hanajima and Uotani are probably my favorite characters. They just define so much of High School Girls (side laughter) and are characteristic on their own. Not to mention the love they share for Tohru without it being completely creepy, discusting, whatever you choose.( -.- if that sounds anti-yaoi to you, I'm starting another thread about that one.) ^_^ Shigure and Ayame and Hatori tie as my favorite trio too. Because Hatori is just, plain awsome and his past makes him even better. Ayame is hilarious to listen to/watch and Shigure just adds that little comic relief. ^_^ He's a cutie that one. Tohru really needs to mature a bit. She's too busy with her head in the clouds to see the tumultuous issues surrounding her. She's gonna break someone's heart and she better be aware of it when she does it. That's about it![/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
well now, i think that a manga whether it be Shojo or Shonen, is totally awesome! i love both and i'm a girl, and i have no clue how girls can't like FUruba, it seems like it would appeal to them more them\n guys due to all the g\hot male characters in it ^^ i personally think Shigure is he best and most hot followed by Hatori and Ayame. for the record, the manga is way better because it goes all the way up to volume 18 and the anime only has one season and ends around the 6th manga. i own volumes 6, 8, and Japanese version of 17~ i love it so much because it reveals the all time secret of Akito ^__^

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pinklettuceleaf
i absolutely love fruits basket! it is one of my fav anime and manga. i know guys and girls who read it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KyoSohmaLover
[FONT=Arial]I absolutly adore fruits basket! I'm in love with it! I cant wait for the next book to come out, and theres nothing I like more than to talk to others about my passion. Does anyone else like fruits basket? Whats your favorite character? [/FONT]

I adore Fruits Basket! The art is fabulous, and the character interaction is deep and believable (if you can believe 13 people turing into animals when they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex.)

It might be a Shojo Manga, but my husband and three other guys I know (all in their 30's I might add) all compete to see who gets to read my manga after me. However, it [I]is[/I] a long series. As far as I know, there are 22 books out in Japan so far. There are 11 in the USA, with volume 12 expected in December. I think the investment is worth it, but you'll have to form your own opinion there.

Smiles!

• 2 weeks later...
Ah-ha-ha, Fruits Basket is great, though back to the original start of the thread, it is a shojo manga, but I really fail to see how its particularly demeaning to guys. Its more real life, a bombshell of a comedy actually, but it does involve romance with few life lessons thrown in. I have all of the available mangas for it so far and I really don't think its a bad one for guys. I actually have let a couple guy friends of mine borrow them for a bit and when they returned them they were howling with laughter and wanting to go buy their own. Its good and for those of you who haven't gotten as far as I have, it does really take a very serious turn and there is less comedy, more drama, and more of the darker side of the Sohma curse with Akito...but I won't spoil, I promise, but it is a excellent manga and I'd recommend it to anyone who was curious for a good manga to read.

• 2 months later...
[CENTER][I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]fruits basket is awesome. i absolutley love it. my library just got smarter and bought the whole series of it. and also i own a few. i really want to see the anime though. just to see the differences. [/FONT] [/I] [/CENTER]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]Fruits Basket is my most favorite manga that I have in my whole manga collection. Although it seems simple, it actually has a very deep and dark plot into the story. Takaya is one of the greatest manga-ka ever to arrive in America and I hope that more of her stories will come here and also be loved by millions of fans worldwide.

I also have the whole anime box set and it is totally awesome. It is very different from the manga because it goes through volumes 1-8 and it doesn't introduce the horse or rooster, which kinda sucks because the both of them are really cool. There might be season two, but it has left to be discussed. Let's just hope the director will change his answer and make it to please the pleas of millions of Fruits Baskets lovers[/COLOR][/SIZE].[/FONT]