OtakuBoards

PlayStation 3

James

The 360 does that really easily out of the box for literally every game, so I have to hope the PS3 will as well. It seems like a big no-brainer... particularly for racers.

One nice thing is that with the 360 I can actually stream music from my PC instead of having to rip it onto the hard drive. I don't know how feasible that'd be for the PS3 (since, you know, MS makes Windows too), but it's a cool feature. It would be nice to see it on there... you save a lot of space.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to get a PS3 but after countless price raises and the Sony Confrence at E3 (lols giant enemy crab) I just don't one. I don't that it has new BluRay technology. That's the reason it's so expensive in the first place. :animeangr

• 2 weeks later...
[color=dimgray] Hope I'm not violating any of the rules or rehashing questions in this thread (I made myself read through it, but I have pretty bad short-term memory), but I was assigned an article about the PS3 in newspaper, so I'd just like to ask some questions. I'd also like to add that I have no extensive knowledge about gaming consoles at all, so some of my questions might be common sense to you guys.

1) Are there any specific games that the PS3 release is riding on (like Wii and Zelda) or is Sony just relying on their industry name or something?

2) If you buy the $500 PS3, are you getting a decent deal or is it just a complete waste of money? (Would you be better off buying the $600 PS3, and does the answer to that depend on how hardcore of a gamer you are?) Explain why.

3) Do you think the PS3 will have strong release sales versus the Wii? (sorry if this is OT)

Thanks for you time.[/color]

[color=#56995e][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS][QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray]
1) Are there any specific games that the PS3 release is riding on (like Wii and Zelda) or is Sony just relying on their industry name or something?[/color][/QUOTE]

Ah for me, the one game that I think that sony is relying on is MGS4, maybe a little bit of DMC 4. I am not to sure what platform that Final Fantasy XIII is comming for, I am pretty sure that it was for the PS3 though. Yet besides the games I think sony is also relying a bit to much on their industry name. Since in the last generation for the most part it was sony that was ontop with the gamecube falling in at a shallow 3rd. However it seemed to me that at E3 this year all of that changed.

[QUOTE][COLOR=DimGray]2) If you buy the $500 PS3, are you getting a decent deal or is it just a complete waste of money? (Would you be better off buying the $600 PS3, and does the answer to that depend on how hardcore of a gamer you are?) Explain why. [/COLOR] [/QUOTE]

This could be in some way comparable with the Xbox 360 version of a core model or the whole thing. At first I was ok with just having a core on its own. Yet when my Mother and I actually did some number checking it was true that the full version of the Xbox 360 was actually a better deal, seeing as with all the extra stuff that you get it would be near if not a little more than the extra $100. If the PS3 does a similar thing I think just getting the lower cost version is a complete waste of money. I am not 100% sure on what it is that you are able to get from the Full version of the PS3 but I would expect it to be somewhat similar.

[QUOTE][COLOR=DimGray]3) Do you think the PS3 will have strong release sales versus the Wii? (sorry if this is OT)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

In my personal opinion, in the begining I know that it is defintly going to be lagging behind the other consoles. I know that around where I live most people really don't have the money to buy a $500 or $600 game system, let alone games that (If my sources are correct), are around $60-$100. Not until sony realises that we arn't all rich and have money to use on these will they lower the prices. Then I can forsee sales going up for the PS3.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
The insanity has begun. Today at 11:30am, I noticed a line of people with tents camping out in front of Best Buy located near my job. By the end of the day, there were at least sixteen tents outside and someone even had a pet tent alongside their setup! It's supposed to rain pretty badly tomorrow, so they're in for a tough camp.

I just can't believe that these people live such carefree lives that they can camp out 48 hours in advance. Don't they have jobs? :animeshy:

It's a shame that the store is only getting three or four units according to the Best Buy employee I spoke with.

I really hope Resistance and Ridge Racer 7 are worth that wait. I cannot possibly see how they are... or really any video game is. I've never understood this stuff.

I saw another one for a Best Buy where 150 people were camped out (although I imagine some were friends just to keep company), but the store was only getting 100 units in... which I personally think sounds exaggerated considering the numbers overall seem to keep getting lower.

Just the other day I was reading that Sony apparently will now only really be pushing their first units towards major store chains.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Just the other day I was reading that Sony apparently will now only really be pushing their first units towards major store chains.[/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, I heard that they broke half (probably an exaggerated number) of their consoles they had planned on releasing for launch day. Apparently they were testing their durability, lol.

Sucks to be Sony.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Charles']Honestly, they better be scalpers. I can't imagine anyone going through this effort just to play the thing.[/quote]
And yet it's entirely within possibility the campers you saw earlier are doing just that. We live in crazy times.

I'm wondering how those people are able to camp out like that, too. Either they have jobs and requested off to camp out for two days, or they're unemployed, which makes me wonder where they're getting 700+ for a new game system.

[quote name='Charles']Honestly, they better be scalpers. I can't imagine anyone going through this effort just to play the thing.[/quote]

[color=dimgray] Some of them probably are. I already know two people who are hanging out at our 24-hour Walmart in order to scalp one and sell it after they run out of units. If I had $600 somewhere I'd probably do it, too.[/color]

[quote name='Papa Smurf']I'm wondering how those people are able to camp out like that, too. Either they have jobs and requested off to camp out for two days, or they're unemployed, which makes me wonder where they're getting 700+ for a new game system.[/quote]

[color=dimgray] Or they're students and they got money from their parents. [/color]

[quote name='black rurouni']the playstion 3 will be manly for teen (13+), i beleve that the PS3 will sell out more then the 360 did. Also the PS3 will have the best graphic and vision effect ( with HDTV). But the only downfall is the price of 600 or 500 dollars depending on the 60gb and the 20gb.[/quote]

[quote]The pipelines go idle because the pixel pipes aren't able to help the vertex pipes accomplish a task or vice versa. Whats even more impressive about this GPU is it by itself determines the balance of how many pipelines to dedicate to vertex or pixel shader operations at any given time a programmer is NOT needed to handle any of this the GPU takes care of all this itself in the quickest most efficient way possible. 1080p is not a smart resolution to target in any form this generation, but if 360 developers wanted to get serious about 1080p, thanks to Xenos, could actually outperform the ps3 in 1080p. (The less efficient GPU always shows its weaknesses against the competition in higher resolutions so the best way for the rsx to be competitive is to stick to 720P) In vertex shader limited situations the 360?s gpu will literally be 6 times faster than RSX. With a unified shader architecture things are much more efficient than previous architectures allowed (which is extremely important). The 360?s GPU for example is 95-99% efficient with 4XAA enabled.[/quote]

Source: [url]http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=9[/url]

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray']Or they're students and they got money from their parents. [/color][/quote]
Don't they have school then? If they're college age, they've got finals coming up in less than three weeks. If they're in high school, then they're cutting class entirely. I'm really wondering what kinds of lives these people have. lol

For anyone interested, I took a pic of the campers yesterday. It's pretty crappy since it's my camera phone and I was walking, so there's sort of a slant, but I guess it's worth showing.

[url]http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9850/sspx0075yo4.jpg[/url]

[quote name='John']If someone takes a picture of themselves and a group of friends setting up a 360 outside a vendor and having a blast on it right in front of all the campers, I will personally send them a check for thirty thousand dollars.[/quote]
Mmmm...that's not a bad idea. We'd have to do Gears of War on it, probably.

[quote name='Papa Smurf']Don't they have school then? If they're college age, they've got finals coming up in less than three weeks. If they're in high school, then they're cutting class entirely. I'm really wondering what kinds of lives these people have. lol[/quote]

[color=dimgray] Exactly. P:[/color]

[quote name='John']If someone takes a picture of themselves and a group of friends setting up a 360 outside a vendor and having a blast on it right in front of all the campers, I will personally send them a check for thirty thousand dollars.[/quote]

[color=dimgray] [url]http://www.smashmyxbox.com/[/url][/color]

[color=darkred]Makes you think whether stores should start putting up "No Camping" signs outside.[/color]

[quote name='Papa Smurf']Don't they have school then? If they're college age, they've got finals coming up in less than three weeks. If they're in high school, then they're cutting class entirely. I'm really wondering what kinds of lives these people have. lol[/quote]

[color=darkred]This is the very reason I'm not getting a Wii at launch. If I did, then I kiss my exams and any possibility of attending a decent university good bye. It's the same reason I don't have a DS Lite too, and I tell you, when you have the money for it sitting right by your side day in and day out, it's so hard not to give in and just bloody buy one.[/color] :cussing:

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']Makes you think whether stores should start putting up "No Camping" signs outside.[/color][/quote]
That would be awesome. I'd love to see a Best Buy tag like this:

[center][URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2317/bestbuycamperskickew4.png[/IMG][/URL]
[/center]

[color=#007520]Camping? It's a legitimate tactic!

There's a few tents outside the Best Buy by my restaurant, but one of the other servers was saying that Best Buy is only going to have five consoles on the first day. Any truth in this?

-r2[/color]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]Yeah, over here in Kansas we started getting people in line on Wednesday afternoon. I know thats not as bad as some places but man is it cold out here. Tents, space heaters, chairs. Its all good fun...sorta.

I stayed out in the tent with my friend Jake on PS3 Wait Day 1 all night and there was an ongoing feud with us at Target and the folks down the way at Best Buy. It got so bad towards the middle of the night the cops came and arrested people for vandalism, assault, battery, so on so forth.

The best part? It was all over the numbers each store was getting.

'Yeaaahh...Best Buy is getting 26.'
'Oh yeah? We're getting like 30 or somethin'
'Whatever dude.'
'No! Whatever you!'

And then they fight. Seriously, that was about the jist of it all.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Well the PS3 came out where i am and people have waithing outside of best buy for 4 days now,i wanted to see a ps3 but according to the workers they sold out in 15 minutes. of course no one mentioned that some places sold them a day early. but you could only get them that way if you were waiting outside for like 3 days so to the me the PS3 is really not worth all this trouble. so me i'm going ot wait a while to get one. :rolleyes:

Man, this is insane:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PLAYSTATION-3-PS3-60-GB-TRUE-BUNDLE-PACK-REALLY_W0QQitemZ160050434898QQihZ006QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Also, I found this sort of funny:

[url]http://www.startribune.com/462/story/816150.html[/url]

I've seen a few stories like this:

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,230182,00.html[/url]

And, here's a pretty decent Penny Arcade:
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20061117.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Charles]Man, this is insane:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PLAYSTATION-3-PS3-60-GB-TRUE-BUNDLE-PACK-REALLY_W0QQitemZ160050434898QQihZ006QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Jesus, what could possess someone to fork out over $4,000 just to play the PS3 a few weeks before anyone else. I mean "insane" really does just some this up in one word because the person who's made the successful bid must have a lot of spare cash lying around.[/SIZE]